Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

5 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Plucker's: Home of the freshman 15

I lived in a world that included Pancho's all-you-can-eat. Who knows how many buttery honeyed sopapillas are stil stuck to the walls of my intestines. 

Texas Union burritos and brownies. It was a good cafeteria.

Also, the drinking age was 18. You do the math.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I lived in a world that included Pancho's all-you-can-eat. Who knows how many buttery honeyed sopapillas are stil stuck to the walls of my intestines. 

Jesus, drinking and an all you can eat Panchos sounds like the gutteral equivalent of Chernobyl 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Panchos?  You were doing it wrong.  2 for 1 chicken fried steak at the Stallion on Sunday nights.  Bottomless margs at the 4 or 5 Jorge's around town (mine was the Riverside).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Jesus, drinking and an all you can eat Panchos sounds like the gutteral equivalent of Chernobyl 

Smelled like it, too. Fortunately young men like laughing at their farts.

The post-game travels to Coupland for some all you can eat BBQ was a treat as well. County Line, it used to be so good and adult oriented, supplanted Coupland as a destination. Still, I have such fond memories of driving back into Austin back when the city started at Reagan High and seeing the tower lit up.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Panchos?  You were doing it wrong.  2 for 1 chicken fried steak at the Stallion on Sunday nights.  Bottomless margs at the 4 or 5 Jorge's around town (mine was the Riverside).

Went to the Stallion twice and felt like shit after both visits. It seemed more like a challenge than a place to enjoy food. Gray gravy? I'll pass.

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Went to the Stallion twice and felt like shit after both visits. It seemed more like a challenge than a place to enjoy food. Gray gravy? I'll pass.

It was yellow gravy, which Hill's Cafe also served.  Pancho's had a most wanted poster in the post office for poisoning.  

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I was at UT early 80’s. I think there was one Jorge’s in town and menu stated maximum margs at 2. I think it was Everclear?. I think it was South Congress? Anyway ,only restaurant I was thrown out because my friend got so drunk he fell backwards in his chair and hit other patrons. Come to think of it he also totaled two cars I was riding in and got me in several fights on several occasions. I don’t pick friends well that’s why I’m on Surly!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Knewk210 said:

I was at UT early 80’s. I think there was one Jorge’s in town and menu stated maximum margs at 2. I think it was Everclear?. I think it was South Congress? Anyway ,only restaurant I was thrown out because my friend got so drunk he fell backwards in his chair and hit other patrons. Come to think of it he also totaled two cars I was riding in and got me in several fights on several occasions. I don’t pick friends well that’s why I’m on Surly!

I came down the summer before my first fall semester in '78 as soon as my Legion Ball season ended.  Must've been 30-40 of my high school classmates that moved down over the summer.  Lots of us on Riverside.  Life was great; two live music venues - The Back Room and Mother Earth - a Conan's, two movie theatres, a pub (The Abbey Inn) for the Maggie Mae experience with imports and darts) and place that would cash your check with reckless abandon (Minimax?).  Oh, and a nice billiard parlor with regulation tables and ice blue felt (!).  And Jorge's.  And there was no 2 margarita limit.  It was a good thing most of us lived a par 5 from there.  

Edited by cafe society
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

For those who follow more closely, do we really like Zina as a prospect?

I posted in the commitment thread, but Bobby said on the live stream show tonight that the staff considers him one of the 2-3 best physical prospects on their board. Not a finished product who can come right in and play like Simmons, but one who has the frame to be an elite player by the time he graduates if he develops properly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

I came down the summer before my first fall semester in '78 as soon as my Legion Ball season ended.  Must've been 30-40 of my high school classmates that moved down over the summer.  Lots of us on Riverside.  Life was great; two live music venues - The Back Room and Mother Earth - a Conan's, two movie theatres, a pub (The Abbey Inn) for the Maggie Mae experience with imports and darts) and place that would cash your check with reckless abandon (Minimax?).  Oh, and a nice billiard parlor with regulation tables and ice blue felt (!).  And Jorge's.  And there was no 2 margarita limit.  It was a good thing most of us lived a par 5 from there.  

It was Jaime's for us, only because Jaime shot sangria from his wine bag into our 18 year old  mouths after the they raised the age to 21.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

I posted in the commitment thread, but Bobby said on the live stream show tonight that the staff considers him one of the 2-3 best physical prospects on their board. Not a finished product who can come right in and play like Simmons, but one who has the frame to be an elite player by the time he graduates if he develops properly. 

So….he has potential and a high ceiling?   Ok.

8 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

OT specials, tater tots and beer.   Or Conan's pizza.   Manske buns at 2Js

8 minutes ago, Getafix said:

So, as of today, Fong-minus-the-fluff:

Corian Gipson:  "I'll keep an eye."

Ryan Wingo: "I'm glad I've stuck with my pick."

Brandon Baker: "I still like Texas' position."

Kobe Black: "I love my prediction."

Video gif. Two little boys sit across from one another and one of them is closing his eyes tightly and crossing his fingers with all his might. He's hoping really, really hard for something to come true.

Gipson, Wingo, Baker, and Black would rank us 3rd in the current 247 team rankings with a 285.91. uga and fOSU are uncatchable at this point, and bama is currently sitting at 277 so they'd be ahead or in striking distance. 

On3 drops some of the bottom of the class when it does team rankings to negate class size disparity. IF we close these 4, we would probably rank higher in that model.

• Hook 'Em 2

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls