Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 hour ago, Mother mopar said:
10 hours ago, Poe It Up said:
Per Gerry, Solomon Williams will be taking an official visit this weekend. 

If his mother isn't coming it won't matter. She has been to one visit (OU) and let him visit other schools. She needs to be there if we are going to gain traction.

As Getafix indicated, Okoye is the recruit with the mom who’s not been on many trips (I believe just one) and is considered an Oklahoma lean. Williams is from Florida and Gerry Hamilton says he’s got a high upside.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vito Andolini said:

As Getafix indicated, Okoye is the recruit with the mom who’s not been on many trips (I believe just one) and is considered an Oklahoma lean. Williams is from Florida and Gerry Hamilton says he’s got a high upside.

Gerry/Justin don't believe Okoye makes it in this weekend....

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
10 hours ago, Poe It Up said:
Per Gerry, Solomon Williams will be taking an official visit this weekend. 

If his mother isn't coming it won't matter. She has been to one visit (OU) and let him visit other schools. She needs to be there if we are going to gain traction.

katfid burner account confirmed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Solomon Williams 

Texas edge target returning to Austin for official visit

Hank South (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Hank South (Horns 247)

Texas edge target Solomon Williams will officially visit the Forty Acres this weekend, he confirmed to Horns247. The Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day product was last on campus at the end of July for two days. 

The Longhorns have two edge commits in the 2024 class so far from five-star Colin Simmons, and four-star Zina Umeozulu. 

At 6-foot-3, 250 pounds, Williams is ranked the No. 21 edge and the No. 294 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Last season the Florida standout tallied 61 tackles, including 32 tackles for a loss and 15.5 sacks.

He reported a top five on Thursday of Alabama, Clemson, Oregon, Texas and Texas A&M. 

Here's his 247Sports evaluation, via Andrew Ivins:

"A stand-up edge player that can get after the quarterback. Racked up 32 tackles for loss and 15.5 sacks in 10 games as a junior for a talented Carrollwood Day squad. Believed to be hovering right around 6-foot-2, 250 pounds – although size hasn’t been verified. Explosive athlete that can dunk a basketball. Uses his first step to daze opposing linemen and then get to work. Can win with a simple bullrush, but has also flashed the ability to bend while running the arc. Pretty fluid for someone for someone of his stature and can redirect as he tries to flush out pockets. Doesn’t lack a motor and will keep the legs pumping to make stops outside the hashes. Overall, should be viewed as a productive pass rusher with developmental upside. Will need to eventually get better with the hands, but already has some juice and power, which is key. Likely going to need a year or two to get adjusted to the speed and demands of Power Five football, but could be featured early on in situational packages that are rolled out on obvious passing downs. Being recruited by most schools to crash off the perimeter, but could shift more inside depending on how the body fills out over the next few years."

Check out the rest of the expected visitors this weekend as Texas takes on Wyoming. 

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Solomon Williams 

Hank South (Horns 247)

Reveal hidden contents

Hank South (Horns 247)

Texas edge target Solomon Williams will officially visit the Forty Acres this weekend, he confirmed to Horns247. The Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day product was last on campus at the end of July for two days. 

The Longhorns have two edge commits in the 2024 class so far from five-star Colin Simmons, and four-star Zina Umeozulu. 

At 6-foot-3, 250 pounds, Williams is ranked the No. 21 edge and the No. 294 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Last season the Florida standout tallied 61 tackles, including 32 tackles for a loss and 15.5 sacks.

He reported a top five on Thursday of Alabama, Clemson, Oregon, Texas and Texas A&M. 

Here's his 247Sports evaluation, via Andrew Ivins:

"A stand-up edge player that can get after the quarterback. Racked up 32 tackles for loss and 15.5 sacks in 10 games as a junior for a talented Carrollwood Day squad. Believed to be hovering right around 6-foot-2, 250 pounds – although size hasn’t been verified. Explosive athlete that can dunk a basketball. Uses his first step to daze opposing linemen and then get to work. Can win with a simple bullrush, but has also flashed the ability to bend while running the arc. Pretty fluid for someone for someone of his stature and can redirect as he tries to flush out pockets. Doesn’t lack a motor and will keep the legs pumping to make stops outside the hashes. Overall, should be viewed as a productive pass rusher with developmental upside. Will need to eventually get better with the hands, but already has some juice and power, which is key. Likely going to need a year or two to get adjusted to the speed and demands of Power Five football, but could be featured early on in situational packages that are rolled out on obvious passing downs. Being recruited by most schools to crash off the perimeter, but could shift more inside depending on how the body fills out over the next few years."

Check out the rest of the expected visitors this weekend as Texas takes on Wyoming. 

He's better than McKinley, understand they play different positions.

Edited by HtownHorn

18 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think realistically it's us and Bama. Oregon is likely 3rd, but is probably too far away from Florida.

Until very recently, and that’s only IF something’s changed, it was Bama and the rest. But the choice wasn’t entirely his with Bama either, so everyone else had a shot. 

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Until very recently, and that’s only IF something’s changed, it was Bama and the rest. But the choice wasn’t entirely his with Bama either, so everyone else had a shot. 

Trying to figure out if you mean someone close to him is/was steering him to Bama, or maybe he isn't 100% a take for Saban?

4 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Let’s get a Looch version-

This weekend is setting up to be a huge weekend on the forty acres for Steve Sarkisian and crew with the announcement that Solomon Williams will be visiting the #4 ranked team in college football. Coming off a weekend that saw your Texas Longhorns control the tide in Tuscaloosa, it looks like Steve Sarkisian has set his sights on the 6-foot-3 250# edge from deep in SEC country.

Solomon has an offer list that has your Texas Longhorns battling the elites of college football in Alabama, Clemson, and Oregon. Texas A&M is also in the mix.

Although Solomon is ranked as the #21 edge in the country, his offer list tells another story. WATCH THE TAPE.

Again, Steve Sarkisian dips deep into SEC country to find a perfect compliment to the most talented roster in the country - and continues to strike fear into the SEC West.

Solomon will spend the weekend seeing all the forty acres have to offer, bonding with other “watch the tapers” and enjoying the fine dining at Applebees and Texas Roadhouse.

Billy

El Greco, Michelangelo, da Vinci? Rank amateurs in comparison 

7 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's not a bad top 5 for a 3 star 

The rankings are even more ass than usual this year. There are WAY more "three stars" than ever with offers from Bama, Texas, LSU, tOSU, USC, UM, UF, etc. They really need to just scrap the current ones and start over from scratch. Look at Daniel Cruz, for example (yes, I know he's a low 4 star in the composite). Ryan Day and Jimbo would've given their middle nuts for a commitment from that kid. And there's DOZENS of other examples just like him with even more egregious rankings

Edited by campcrunk
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

The rankings are even more ass than usual this year. There are WAY more "three stars" than ever with offers from Bama, Texas, LSU, tOSU, USC, UM, UF, etc. They really need to just scrap the current ones and start over from scratch. Look at Daniel Cruz, for example (yes, I know he's a low 4 star in the composite). Ryan Day and Jimbo would've given their middle nuts for a commitment from that kid. And there's DOZENS of other examples just like him with even more egregious rankings

I think it's something Bobby alluded to that people doing the ratings are trying to structure it like NFL draft.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think it's something Bobby alluded to that people doing the ratings are trying to structure it like NFL draft.

I mean, I guess I sort of get why they do that - but I still hate it. I honestly don't give a fuck about a player's NFL potential (unless he's making Texas look good). All I really want to know is "what can this guy do for my college team? What kind of impact will he have in CFB?" Plus, it seems like they're not even doing a great job at that

Edited by campcrunk
Forgot an apostrophe and wanted to use proper punctuation/grammar. We're not aggy here, after all
  • Hook 'Em 5

Solomon Williams would be a great bookend to go along with Colin Simmons.

In this video, Gerry Hamilton and Rod Babers talk about Ethan Burke and breakdown video of Colin Simmons, Zina Umeozulu, and then Solomon Williams.

I have it set at the Solomon Williams discussion, but looking at the video I would have them ranked (1) Simmons (2) Williams (3) Umeozulu

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls