Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

6 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Seems like Hayden Connor is most likely to be unseated of the current starting lineup. Campbell is likely to improve as the season progresses. Good chance he secures his spot if that happens. But Hutson could take Connor's place or be groomed for Center. He doesn't seem like the type to transfer right off the bat.

Kelvin Banks has started 17 games in a row.

Hayden Conner has started 17 games in a row.

Jake Majors has started 31 games in a row.

DJ Campbell has 4 starts in a row.

Christian Jones has started 39 games in a row.

no offense but this kind of wish casting is honestly the same as folks thinking someone is going to replace Jake Majors every year. Flood like Majors. Flood like Conner. Neither has been unseated yet.

Banks and Conner have a ton of games started next to each other, probably more likely he starts every game Kelvin Banks starts in College over a 3 year timeframe than it is that Conner is unseated.

Conner seems like he is way ahead of Neto and Agbo, like Majors seems like he is way ahead of Robertson.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, NoName said:

no offense but this kind of wish casting is honestly the same as folks thinking someone is going to replace Jake Majors every year. Flood like Majors. Flood like Conner. Neither has been unseated yet.

Banks and Conner have a ton of games started next to each other, probably more likely he starts every game Kelvin Banks starts in College over a 3 year timeframe than it is that Conner is unseated.

Conner seems like he is way ahead of Neto and Agbo, like Majors seems like he is way ahead of Robertson.

None taken, but there's no wish casting on my part. Yes, Connor is clearly the best available for now, else Flood would have someone else there. But with a year of development for younger talent, he seems the most likely to be unseated. Didn't say that he would be. It's all speculation.

14 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

None taken, but there's no wish casting on my part. Yes, Connor is clearly the best available for now, else Flood would have someone else there. But with a year of development for younger talent, he seems the most likely to be unseated. Didn't say that he would be. It's all speculation.

i just think it's highly unlikely a guy who starts 26 straight games and starts 26 straight next to the best LT Texas has had in years is going to be unseated by an undersclassman, but that's me.

this is in part me getting annoyed by all the "Jake Majors is shit" takes from the football board and certain posters here, so sorry if i came out super strong on this.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

i just think it's highly unlikely a guy who starts 26 straight games and starts 26 straight next to the best LT Texas has had in years is going to be unseated by an undersclassman, but that's me.

this is in part me getting annoyed by all the "Jake Majors is shit" takes from the football board and certain posters here, so sorry if i came out super strong on this.

Jake Majors is no where close to where he needs to be to make our offense as effective as it can be. :)

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Kelvin Banks has started 17 games in a row.

Hayden Conner has started 17 games in a row.

Jake Majors has started 31 games in a row.

DJ Campbell has 4 starts in a row.

Christian Jones has started 39 games in a row.

The likely OL is Banks, Conner, Hutson, Campbell, Cam Williams.... Lot of talk about center and Hutson. I think he is likely going to slide over and compete with Robertson and Cruz (Gerry loves him). If I had to bet on someone transferring it would be Neto. I hope I am wrong about that, because he has a lot of upside.  I am still hoping he takes over for Conner later in the year, but that dream is slowly dying. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Hayden Conner chose Texas as much for the academics as he did the football program. Starting or not, my money would be on him getting a Longhorn degree, and that’s a pretty good result for everyone.

He originally was interested in aerospace engineering. Not sure if he ever started with it, but he was a physics major for a while. Neither of those is for the faint of heart. His major is now listed as geography.

Edited by sith_horn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

The likely OL is Banks, Conner, Hutson, Campbell, Cam Williams.... Lot of talk about center and Hutson. I think he is likely going to slide over and compete with Robertson and Cruz (Gerry loves him). If I had to bet on someone transferring it would be Neto. I hope I am wrong about that, because he has a lot of upside.  I am still hoping he takes over for Conner later in the year, but that dream is slowly dying. 

I don't think Neto would transfer but if he did, his brother would sign elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

We already have 2 RB commits for this class.

he said Clark is locked in as far as he knows with UT, however there is smoke with Gibson and UF.  Davidson carries the ball a lot for Mater Dei.. and is looking to make the jump to CFB next year rather than doing his sr season in high school

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

He originally was interested in aerospace engineering. Not sure if he ever started with it, but he was a physics major for a while. Neither of those is for the faint of heart. His major is now listed as geography.

Astronomy and geography are basically the same thing. The map is just bigger.

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't think Neto would transfer but if he did, his brother would sign elsewhere.

I hope so. I know there were rumblings during the spring/summer. He just seems like the one guy without a spot. This is obviously complete speculation. 

Edited by Codaxx

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

he said Clark is locked in as far as he knows with UT, however there is smoke with Gibson and UF.  Davidson carries the ball a lot for Mater Dei.. and is looking to make the jump to CFB next year rather than doing his sr season in high school

I can understand it. But, I assume the staff would have to weigh Gibson vs. the Mater Dei RB.

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

spoilering this because it's more OL talk and we should take it to the OL thread...

Spoiler

Hutson split time at C as the backup/emergency the last 2 fall camps. Hutson may move over but just like with Conor, it's very hard to shift away from a guy who will have 40 straight starts who you know who and what he is and who Flood clearly knows and is comfortable with.

if they were going to make a change sure would think we would hear about him taking all the 2nd string snaps (when healthy) or making a position change and that hasn't happened.

all this to say i am happy with Cruz. he's a great get.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Foosters said:

Yeah. Its like the "This team is scary good" thread where 3 days ago one poster may have hinted that he'd like to see this team up against '05 and the next 4 pages are people jumping up to defend the '05 team while lecturing everyone else about how wrong they are.

are you an idiot?  05 would obliterate this team. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

Possibly, but I know a hell of a lot more about OL play than most. Not because I played there - I played DB and WR - but because I know a lot of former OL at Texas and the NFL whose opinion I trust - at least more than 99% of random fans. There is a person who coaches OL in Coeur d'Alene  who knows his stuff who post here and he might have an opinion. Otherwise, attorneys are great at arguing but not necessarily experts in football.

what do you squat?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, RollingPresidential said:

Nahlin is hinting at a former "lost cause" who is now back in play. Posters seem to have concluded it's Wesco.

can you blame the guy after seeing the Clemson offense?

all that said, as far as i can tell he hasn't *EVER* visited Texas.

took OVs to USC in May and Clemson, LSU and TCU in June (took LSU and TCU visits after committing to Clemson)

1 minute ago, BornAndRaised said:

3 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

Nahlin is hinting at a former "lost cause" who is now back in play. Posters seem to have concluded it's Wesco.

I wonder if it’s a DL. Gerry said something odd about a DL either this morning or last night that “he couldn’t talk about right now”

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I wonder if it’s a DL. Gerry said something odd about a DL either this morning or last night that “he couldn’t talk about right now”

Edge players reporting a Texas Offer:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.214cd229cc9e9455acce033175fc24dc.png

image.png.bc6008eb0cff4b5e47e564254b6e230c.png

DL reporting an offer:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.419bdb5b7c83fb0248c2256cd7fbf556.png

image.thumb.png.8825838473938908cc01ecfe4cdae354.png

image.thumb.png.521ede168e26177f7872eb2f4e584417.png

EDGE/DL from Florida reporting a Texas offer:

• Jonathan Echols, committed to Tenn, #160 overall (IMG)
  • Booker Pickett Jr, uncommitted, #188 overall
  • Solomon Williams, uncommitted, #44 in FL
  • David Stone, committed to OU, #10 overall (IMG)
  • Kendall Jackson, committed to Florida, #52 in FL
  • Jayden Jackson, committed to OU, #55 in FL (IMG)
  • TJ Lindsey, committed to Auburn, #73 in FL (IMG)
  • Tyreek'e Robinson, uncommitted #93 in FL

3 hours ago, NoName said:

yeah, some dudes are going to hit the portal w/ the team returning 4 of 5 likely starters

image.thumb.png.0d8f3a3bffae7fd3bb69f4396838fdb2.png

returning 4 potential starters seems incredible. return Banks, Conner, Majors. return one of Hutson or Campbell at RG. likely have a dogfight at RT with Cam Williams and Baker or some of the RSFR tackle dudes (Goosby, Chatman, Cojoe. )

Merril sounds like he ain't going anywhere.

who knows what happens with Connor Robertson. having 4 scholarships spent at center seems way less ideal than spending 5 on Kickers + Punters + LS like they have now.

likely to lose some of the guards - i can see whoever loses at RG (Hutson or Campbell) moving on potentially. Can't see a universe where the team keeps all Conner, Neto, Agbo, Huston and Campbell.

so guys potentially on the bubble next year are Neto or Agbo, Campbell or Hutson, some of the RSFR who decide to move on (if one of them gets passed by Baker at RT), Robertson maybe if he gets passed by with Cruz before fall camp? Cam Williams maybe if he gets beat out by Baker?

I don't think Campbell leaves unless he just doesn't get any better,  and I don't see that happening.  

I'm like most,  would really hate to see Williams go.  

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

If Neto was planning on transferring, his brothers likely wouldn't have picked Texas. Neto is in the McCombs school and getting developed at OG. I don't think he is leaving without a degree and is a play away from starting at LG as we saw with Hutson going down earlier this year with a knee injury. 

Flood knows you don't have to be a 4yr starter to get drafted - you need one really good year and preaches accordingly. If you're in the two deep, keep grinding. If you're only in the three deep and have been passed up by a younger guy, then we may have something to talk about, but in that situation the writing on the wall should be that you're likely going pro in something other than football and do you really want to give up the pancake perks in the meantime voluntarily? 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TheAuditor said:

Hey all you fellow frequent lurkers,  I finally got around to signing up for Burnt Ends due to the J Brooks ads on front page. Easy/Peasy.  The content on this single thread alone is worth the cost,  but now I can Lord over you non-givers,  which I plan to do without shame or irony.  

You are 2 years late. Glad you signed up, now donate another 1k to JB to make up for it and sign up for the one fund. Then you can play big time.