Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

Florida 247 (Blake Alderman), on Jerrick Gibson, D'Antre Robinson, Wardell Mack and Xavier Filsaime.

image.thumb.png.ebe177f46df46f91ea4f7d96ffff528d.png

image.thumb.png.600d628960d94c7984d5157b075caf07.png

Alderman on Mack and Filsaime, from the Q&A.

image.thumb.png.38d17654d1c793fcd787fffd3964ebc3.png

Interesting on Filsaime. We really need a plug and play safety and we have plenty of cash on hand after Carter said no. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I love being in short yardage situations and seeing Conner looking back into our backfield with his whole body facing our RBs getting tackled behind the LOS. 

I also love when he’s the pulling guard and gets stonewalled in the hole our RB is trying to go through. 

guy gets absolutely no push in run game. Hell DJ Campbell is grading out higher in pass pro than him. 

Connor sucks, but watching BO&W shift his palpable hatred of Jake Majors to Hayden Connor is also highly amusing. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

247- With Jimbo Fisher reportedly out, which Texas A&M commits could Longhorns flip?

Spoiler

With news breaking early Sunday that Texas A&M is set to part ways with head coach Jimbo Fisher, naturally one of the first things we look at is the potential recruiting fallout in College Station. For Texas, the Longhorns have remained after (or at least recruited heavily in the past) a handful of Aggies commits regardless of Fisher’s job status. Here’s a breakdown of some of the most notable names.

Tyanthony Smith, 4-star LB, Jasper (Texas)

Texas doesn’t have a linebacker committed in this class, with plans to likely only take one at the position. Linebackers coach Jeff Choate has remained in contact with Smith and the hope has remained the in-state prospect will have a change of heart. The likely path to early playing time in College Station has been a big appeal in Smith’s eyes, but with Fisher now reportedly out, does that open the door for Texas to make its move? Horns247’s Jordan Scruggs has reported that if Smith reopens things, it’s Texas that’s the most likely landing spot.

Myles Davis, 4-star S, Converse (Texas) Judson

Texas has stayed in contact with Davis since his pledge to the Aggies back in the summer. Davis is set to return to Austin for the Texas Tech game in two weeks, and with Sunday’s developments, things could get very interesting assuming Texas makes a push for the Central Texas standout.

“They were top two, for sure,” Davis said of what keeps him interested in Texas when Horns247 caught up with him earlier this fall. “It was a hard decision and one I still think about sometimes, but I have no regrets at all.

“Coach (Blake) Gideon is really a good coach and being coached by him is no drop off from the standard I’m held at now. He means business and I like that.”

Dominick McKinley, 4-star DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana

McKinley chose Texas A&M over Texas on Sept. 1 in what was a very heated recruitment leading up to decision day. Since then contact has remained with McKinley’s camp. However, McKinley recently told Horns247 he had no intention of returning to Austin this season for a game. With the impending coaching change things could get interesting depending on who’s retained and of course who’s hired, but with Texas still working to add to its 2024 defensive line, McKinley’s name is high on the list.

Blake Ivy, 4-star OL, League City (Texas) Clear Springs

Texas is still in search of offensive line talent in the class of 2024, with hopes of taking four prospects. Last week, four-star OL and Auburn commit DeAndre Carter reaffirmed his pledge to the Tigers, essentially crossing himself off the list. Horns247 reported that LSU commit Ory Williams and Texas Tech commit Jacob Ponton as two names to watch. Ivy considered Texas heavily prior to his decision, and took an official visit to Austin in June. He is certainly one to watch down the stretch if the coaching change gives him pause.

Terry Bussey, 5-star ATH, Timpson (Texas)

LSU might pose the biggest threat to the Aggies at this point, but Texas was among the final group for the elite athlete.

"Texas moved up into one of the top spots in my recruitment," Bussey said of the Longhorns this past summer after an official visit. "They definitely gave me some things to think about moving forward. I just really loved the vibe from the coaches and players. My host for the weekend was Juan Davis and I really just clicked with him. I like him a lot and he told me a lot of real stuff about the program that helped Texas shoot up in my recruitment."

Texas will have plenty of opportunities for young wide receivers on offense next season, so he could be worth monitoring.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry mentioned that Blake Ivy tried reaching back out to the Texas staff but he doesn’t think it’s going anywhere. He had a shoulder injury this year.

Looks like Myles Davis and Ivey have tried to get back with Texas but we don’t seem interested in either.   Smith seems to be the only recruit we want but he seems set on aggy regardless if it’s Jimbo or a jizz jar as their coach.  Not sure about Bussey as we never quite pushed for him to begin with.  You’d have to bet Texas will try to get Bryce Anderson or Jacoby Matthews to portal with our safety needs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Looks like Myles Davis and Ivey have tried to get back with Texas but we don’t seem interested in either.   Smith seems to be the only recruit we want but he seems set on aggy regardless if it’s Jimbo or a jizz jar as their coach.  Not sure about Bussey as we never quite pushed for him to begin with.  You’d have to bet Texas will try to get Bryce Anderson or Jacoby Matthews to portal with our safety needs.

If that’s how they feel about Davis things must be positive on the Xavier Filsaime

Just now, D3zii said:

If that’s how they feel about Davis things must be positive on the Xavier Filsaime

I have no idea but I know a few weeks back Bobby had implied that it Davis better make sure he has a good senior year as Texas is evaluating other safeties.  Maybe his senior doesn’t look great? No idea.  Plus I’m sure Texas feels they can get impact players in the portal.

Eric Nahlin: Potential Texas recruiting impacts of Jimbo Fisher's abrupt dismissal from Texas A&M

First, I want the dear IT reader to harken back to the closing days of the 2022 recruiting cycle. Texas fans far and wide were largely terrified Texas A&M was about to turn the page and actually start winning big. The Aggies were in the throes of landing the best recruiting class ever and were bragging (privately) about their robust NIL apparatus and how much money they were raising.

Even in the midst of that run of “success”, the Texas braintrust knew the Aggie approach would implode eventually. As Texas leadership felt it was doing with Sark — allowing him time to build the program from the ground up — so too did Texas powerbrokers want to do NIL the “right way.”

The brief in real-time was Jimbo Fisher would screw it all up, and boy did he. He wasn’t alone, however. Because of their ridiculous investment in Fisher, A&M donors were willing to do whatever it took to make sure their investment would succeed. That led to a windfall of talent heading its way to College Station. It led to increased expectations, expectations Fisher was not competent enough to meet.

After the catastrophic 5-7 season in year five, Fisher was still recruiting at a pretty good level. A&M’s class is currently No. 7, even after recent departures of wide receiver Dre’lon Miller and offensive lineman Weston Davis. But, despite the lofty ranking there aren’t a whole lot of players in that class Texas is after. Jasper linebacker Tyanthony Smith is the obvious exception.

Smith’s recruitment has been pretty interesting. Texas has felt good about its chances for a flip, though sources in Jasper haven’t been so sure. We’re about to find out what’s what. If Smith stands by his Aggie commitment then we’ll know he was never budging. If you’re Texas you want Smith to de-commit before A&M names a replacement. One thing to consider here is if Smith has a good relationship with A&M defensive line coach Elijah Robinson who was named interim head coach.

Safety Myles Davis is another player Texas has interest in, though the Horns appear all in on Florida commit Xavier Filsaime. Patience is the theme there as well. The Texas staff has expected Florida to struggle this season and the Gators finishing stretch is brutal.

My guess on Dominick McKinley is he’ll remain patient and see how things unfold with the defensive coaching staff. Robinson as the interim head coach will likely keep him in the fold until there’s clarity on how the A&M staff will ultimately shake out. The main intrigue to me, even beyond Smith, is what will happens with the current roster?

There was already heavy speculation surrounding A&M losing some of the more talented players on the roster this year after losing secondary talents last December. Depending on who enters the portal, this could be a situation where the Texas coaching staff having prior relationships could be a positive. It isn’t the case that a number of the players who picked A&M over Texas didn’t like Texas, they just had better reasons to originally pick A&M.

It will be interesting to see how A&M, as an institution, handles the roster during all this uncertainty. Who will work to keep the roster together? Can they conduct a search fast enough to keep it together? It’s only November 12th — that’s great for search purposes but not for keeping a class and roster together. The Tweet above is somewhat misleading. The phone works both ways. There will likely be A&M players who start recruiting schools. It’s too early to know what the exact ramifications for Texas will be, but this is how the table is currently set from my vantage.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

A nothing burger from Nahlin. IT probably being purposely cute on names so aggy won’t know where the fires are/where to throw money.

It may be in the aggy football board thread but the "kid" who does the commit and decommit graphics for 247 posted/hinted that the fires were all over the place.

• Hook 'Em 1