Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Surly posters in the lab this spring cooking up scenarios for Jake Majors to be replaced for the 4th straight offseason
*if he comes back
200.gif
Say what you will about Jake, but ability to not botch the snap most of the time is very underrated. I wouldn't be mad at him using his covid year to come back.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We didn’t have satellite radio in the 90’s. I drove from Austin to Houston and back a ton. Country music channels were like 3 of the 12 options. 

Also, I can’t even begin to describe how much ass was there for the taking at Dance Across Texas if you were willing to endure some shit country music and handle yourself with a two step. 

Didn’t Dance Across Texas have 75 cent pitchers on Thursday night? It was an absolute shit show, but a group of us still went somewhat often. 

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We didn’t have satellite radio in the 90’s. I drove from Austin to Houston and back a ton. Country music channels were like 3 of the 12 options. 

Also, I can’t even begin to describe how much ass was there for the taking at Dance Across Texas if you were willing to endure some shit country music and handle yourself with a two step. 

yeah we would go just to dance to rap music during intermissions

22 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Didn’t Dance Across Texas have 75 cent pitchers on Thursday night? It was an absolute shit show, but a group of us still went somewhat often. 

I arrived in Austin after the name was changed to Midnight Rodeo, but it was $1.25 small pitchers on Thursday…but the Sauza shots were 75 cents.

15 minutes ago, Atticus said:

2022 Kerry Coombs leaves Ohio State which helps 5ish-star DB Brooks flip to Texas on signing day. 

2024 Corey Raymond gets fired from Florida BEFORE SIGNING DAY which helps 5-star S Filsaime flip to Texas on...?

I manifested it. You're welcome

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

country bar women are a different breed drinking beer and smoking marlboro lights.

Huh? These were sorority chicks from Texas and Texas State and girls from both places and ACC who all had something to prove to one another. These weren’t beer swilling pigs. 

36 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Bingo. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If Garth Brooks hadn't ruined country music, I'm fairly certain that Alan Jackson would have. That motherfucker put out some of the dumbest, cheesiest, sappiest shit in the '90's. He was an automatic channel changer for me when his maudlin crap would come on. 

Gone Country - possibly the most cynical money grab in modern country music history, and that's saying something

Remember When - fuck off and I despise the notion that this song probably got you laid

Don't Rock the Jukebox - you aren't rocking a fucking thing, asshole

Dallas - how I wish your ass had stayed in Tennessee and off the radio, dickwad

Here in the Real World - Here in the real world, you're ruining a music genre. Just brutally murdering it.

Midnight In Montgomery - Hank Williams rolls over in his grave every time some asshat leverages his talent and legend to sell a fucking record.

Summertime Blues - There is a cure, it's avoiding your bullshit at all costs.

Livin' On Love - hell is a very loud place with this song blaring, I think

Tall, Tall Trees - that you should have been strung up to

Little Bitty - with what you did to country music, this is the size of your soul

Pop a Top - I like to see your top get popped

The list goes on. That guy can go fuck himself and the rest of you doing word plays with his trash can fuck off with him. 

You are lucky we don't have your address. Only a supefan knows this much about him...I'd buy you an Alan Jackson framed and signed poster.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Huh? These were sorority chicks from Texas and Texas State and girls from both places and ACC who all had something to prove to one another. These weren’t beer swilling pigs. 

Bingo. 

Even places like Big Texas (RIP) in Clear Lake/Webster had some gems

41 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Bingo. 

Midnight Rodeo was the place to be on Thirsty Thursday. As has been said, hot chicks from ACC, UT, TxSt, and St Ed’s. Good times were certainly had. 

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yeah let's have him trying to fire a coach and hire another one on the middle of trying to win the CCG and potentially a playoff game.  

Uh, who pissed in your cherrios? Did anybody say a fucking thing about hiring or firing anyone right now? There is such a thing as back channel contact to see if someone is interested in a possible opening. 

Take a fucking break and go look at some tits or something. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

7 minutes ago, Best served cold said:

So, any chance Sark takes a run at Raymond or will aggie use this to their advantage and wrap him up?

After the season:

Move Jospeh to safeties, Gideon soft landing elsewhere, and Raymond to coach corners seems to be the current surly fever dream. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d imagine a lot of the safety issues could get fixed in the offseason. The personnel should improve and Gideon could get better at his job/on the same page with PK. 

Gideon might suck at his job, but that’s also by far the worst room on the team with 1 plus player that’s a true freshman, that didn’t even show up as an early enrollee. 
we can shit can him and I won’t lose a moments sleep over it, and if you are a believer that you should make someone move on every year to enforce vitality he’d definitely be my choice for this year, but I’m also not concerned with bringing him back either. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Adawd Eating Sticker - Adawd Eating Hungry Stickers

Latest on five-star safety Xavier Filsaime
Could Florida be in for a fight with one of their top commits?
Mike Roach / 247 Sports

Spoiler

Mike Roach / 247 Sports

Florida defensive backs coach Corey Raymond was dismissed on Monday night according to reports. The Gators will have a new secondary coach in 2024, but that could have ramifications for this class.

A source I spoke with near five-star McKinney (Texas) safety Xavier Filsaime said that he’s been looking into several backup options and this could be the catalyst for a move.Filsaime expressed his displeasure with a tweet shortly after the news was announced.

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Filsaime is ranked as the No. 2 safety in the nation and No. 7 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports.

Filsaime started taking other visits in the last two months. He made a trip to USC, and last week he was in Austin for a visit that was supposed to be quiet.

Georgia is trying to get back into the picture, and Oregon “never left” according to the source I spoke with. The Longhorns have quietly made up a lot of ground with safeties coach Blake Gideon working to flip him.

I’m told that one interesting school to watch is SMU. The Mustangs are trying to capitalize on a strong season and their move to the ACC by keeping some big time talent at home.

While this source didn’t indicate a move was sure to happen, there’s been less confidence in Filsaime sticking with the Gators over the last two weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Message boards seem to think a lot more highly of Raymond than actual football people do.

He was so good recruiting Louisiana at Florida that Wardell Mack flipped to Texas 3 weeks ago. He signed 1 top 150 DB at Florida. The last good pass defense he coordinated was….2019?

Not trying to say the dude should be coaching at Akron but he ain’t God.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

I won't lose any sleep over losing Gideon but I think that position is definitely more a talent problem versus a coaching problem. Corner is a different story. 

If Gideon plays a key role in getting Filsaime that's good enough for me. Then go get a portal safety. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Message boards seem to think a lot more highly of Raymond than actual football people do.

He was so good recruiting Louisiana at Florida that Wardell Mack flipped to Texas 3 weeks ago. He signed 1 top 150 DB at Florida. The last good pass defense he coordinated was….2019?

He didn’t pass the compliance background check at Texas the last time around. Discussing him is a waste of time. Not Alan Jackson waste of time, but one nonetheless. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not trying to say the dude should be coaching at Akron but he ain’t God.

Corey Raymond is the new Tim Brewster

9 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Adawd Eating Sticker - Adawd Eating Hungry Stickers

Mike Roach / 247 Sports

Hide contents

Mike Roach / 247 Sports

Florida defensive backs coach Corey Raymond was dismissed on Monday night according to reports. The Gators will have a new secondary coach in 2024, but that could have ramifications for this class.

A source I spoke with near five-star McKinney (Texas) safety Xavier Filsaime said that he’s been looking into several backup options and this could be the catalyst for a move.Filsaime expressed his displeasure with a tweet shortly after the news was announced.

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Filsaime is ranked as the No. 2 safety in the nation and No. 7 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports.

Filsaime started taking other visits in the last two months. He made a trip to USC, and last week he was in Austin for a visit that was supposed to be quiet.

Georgia is trying to get back into the picture, and Oregon “never left” according to the source I spoke with. The Longhorns have quietly made up a lot of ground with safeties coach Blake Gideon working to flip him.

I’m told that one interesting school to watch is SMU. The Mustangs are trying to capitalize on a strong season and their move to the ACC by keeping some big time talent at home.

While this source didn’t indicate a move was sure to happen, there’s been less confidence in Filsaime sticking with the Gators over the last two weeks.

The 247 talent pool is pretty shallow. Roach was just PROMOTED to national analyst. 

• Haha 4