Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

With an offer this late, I am assuming that Texas thinks they can flip Andrews and that they absolutely think he's worth the effort. It's odd to me that they think he's a better candidate at H-back than LB, but okay.

His highlights are all totally as a running back. While Patterson made a living switching small town RBs and QBs to defense, we don't currently have a LB coach. I would imagine that is not totally off the table, but for recruiting purposes it would be a tougher sell.  

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

The kid is an Utah LB commit, we need a new LB coach, and the Utah LB coach has been mentioned as a possibility. That possible connection has been mentioned by Nahlin, but he admits he has no info, just an observation.

All I know is that Utah knows how to evaluate linebackers.  Last one we flipped from them, Ford, is a badass.  And they know defense.  This kid looks good, and I hope we get him.  He has legit speed too.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I was wondering about him.  Seems like we could pull him from Baylor if we wanted.  

Twitter bio say 6'5" 270 right now.  He's not very explosive or technical right now.  They play him as a stand up DL now and move him around. 

I wouldn't hate it if we were to flip him mainly because of his frame and what he might look like in 24 months.  He's definitely a sign and stash and let Bo and Becton work on him.  He's pretty good clay.

31 minutes ago, Burt said:

Nick is in Daingerfield trying to flip Hampton.

hampton.thumb.jpg.73d7a81f2f1a2d041766bb27fcb124b6.jpg

i assume on his way out of Dangerfield, he is re-evaluating his life choices.

he's either having to drive to Mt Pleasant or Longview - either way he has some time to think about how long he wants to be spending time in little towns vs on the lake

1 hour ago, Burt said:

Nick is in Daingerfield trying to flip Hampton.

hampton.thumb.jpg.73d7a81f2f1a2d041766bb27fcb124b6.jpg

Dear Mr. Saban,

We regret to inform you that your helicopter/plane have been impounded by the local authorities for suspected crimes against native american football team's hopes and dreams. It will be released on December 21st at 2AM. We have arranged for our best holding cell to accommodate you while you wait. 

Edited by Vertigo

Jordan Scruggs, on Dimitry Nicolas and Aeryn Hampton

Horns 247

Spoiler

Jordan Scruggs, on Dimitry Nicolas and Aeryn Hampton

Horns 247

ONE AUBURN COMMIT OUT, ANOTHER IN PLAY?

Auburn defensive line commit TJ Lindsey shut down his recruitment this week, effectively eliminating Texas from contention. But he isn’t the only Tigers defensive line pledge who's engaged in talks with the Longhorns.

Four-star defensive lineman Dimitry Nicolas tells Horns247 that he communicates with Bo Davis one or two times a week and has built a strong relationship with the Texas defensive line coach after the Longhorns’ staff offered him a scholarship earlier this fall.

The No. 57-ranked defensive line prospect in the country and the No. 548 overall recruit in the nation according to the 247Sports Composite, Nicholas is gearing up to play for a state championship in Florida this weekend with Norland against Berkeley Prep. He won’t have a chance to visit a program this week, but he tells Horns247 he’s open to potentially scheduling a trip to Austin in the future.

Nicolas is not an early enrollee and hasn’t committed to signing early with Auburn. That opens the door for Nicholas to potentially visit in January if he doesn’t make it to Austin next weekend.

Of course, all this is contingent upon whether Texas presses here and how things unfold in the transfer portal. Regardless, it’s worth noting considering Texas’ need on the defensive line. — Hank South

SABAN MAKING A PUSH FOR A LONGHORN COMMIT?

Alabama head coach Nick Saban is making his rounds knocking out high school visits and in-home visits as are plenty of other college coaches. One of Saban’s recent stops happened to be Daingerfield, the home of Texas pledge and four-star athlete Aeryn Hampton.

Saban saw Hampton on Wednesday as he made his swing through East Texas, which happens to be the same place Saban has found a way to hurt Texas in recruiting in recent years.

In 2022, Saban flipped Tyler Legacy four-star running back Jamarion Miller from Texas less than a month before signing day. In the 2023 recruiting cycle, Saban found a way to land Longview four-star wide receiver Jalen Hale over Texas in what felt like last-minute fashion.

Even though Texas was never really in it for Tyler Legacy 2022 four-star EDGE Jordan Renaud, he was just as big of a feather in Saban’s recruiting cap as Miller and Hale.

Hampton’s recruitment has been wild from the jump as he committed to Baylor as a sophomore before later committing to Texas — twice.

In Hampton’s most recent commitment, he chose the Longhorns over Alabama. With that said, Saban’s track record in East Texas and Hampton’s fickle commitments in the past means this is a recruitment we’re tracking since it could potentially end up on watch for a flip. — Jordan Scruggs

52 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hampton’s recruitment has been wild from the jump as he committed to Baylor as a sophomore before later committing to Texas — twice.

In Hampton’s most recent commitment, he chose the Longhorns over Alabama. With that said, Saban’s track record in East Texas and Hampton’s fickle commitments in the past means this is a recruitment we’re tracking since it could potentially end up on watch for a flip. — Jordan Scruggs

I would be fine with that. I forgot that he was still committed, anyway.

Edited by Bevo