Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

59 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Gibson is not small by any stretch, and his game reminds me most of Emmitt Smith. I think he is going to chew people up on inside zone.

Livingstone is a 4.4 guy, and while he does need work on those routes he is going to Moss some people on deep balls and double moves. He isn't the guy you will ask to run whip routes.

Daniel Cruz is the best linemen we have signed in the last two classes, and that is saying something with Brandon Baker on the way.

i hope we get a burner at RB and WR in 2025, that is the one thing we are lacking with the current roster, but Golden should help things.

37 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Do you even Jaydon Blue bro?

Co-sign with wanting a burner at RB. Everytime I watch highlights or clips of Duncanville's games this season, I wish UT had prioritized Caden Durham in this recruiting class. He reminds me of Jamal Charles. His elite speed & acceleration make him a threat to score a TD every time he touches the ball.

Thank God Jaydon Blue emerged down the stretch this season. I hope he's at least the co-starter at RB next season.

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Gibson is not small by any stretch, and his game reminds me most of Emmitt Smith. I think he is going to chew people up on inside zone.

Livingstone is a 4.4 guy, and while he does need work on those routes he is going to Moss some people on deep balls and double moves. He isn't the guy you will ask to run whip routes.

Daniel Cruz is the best linemen we have signed in the last two classes, and that is saying something with Brandon Baker on the way.

i hope we get a burner at RB and WR in 2025, that is the one thing we are lacking with the current roster, but Golden should help things.

I'm just going by the tape on Gibson and to my eye he looks smaller than most of the guys on the field.  Now, that's junior tape, he may have gotten bigger since then.  He's listed as 5'10" and 200 pounds on 247sports, which seems about right for what I see on the tape.  On3 has Gibson listed at 5'9.5", 215 pounds, which may be a more accurate measurement for where he is now.  Regardless, I didn't mean to call the dude Deuce Vaughn or Darren Sproles, I just meant his size makes me worry about him toting the rock 25-30 times a game with his violent running style over the course of a season.   I think he's going to be a really good player and I agree, I think he does work on inside zone.

You think Livingstone is a 4.4 guy?  I dunno man.  He's roasting the dudes on his film, but they don't look like D1 athletes.  But I do like his catch radius, he has quite a few circus catches in his junior film, along with that crazy one along the  sideline at 00:26 in his senior tape.  If he can give us that 2-3 times a game, then yeah, I don't care how fast he is or how well he runs routes.  

I think Baker and Cruz are both better than anyone we've recruited on the offensive line other than Kelvin Banks in the last 20 years.  It would surprise me if both aren't in the two-deep next year.

Agree on burners.  Harlem Berry and Ryan Williams, come on down.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

I'm just going by the tape on Gibson and to my eye he looks smaller than most of the guys on the field.  Now, that's junior tape, he may have gotten bigger since then.  He's listed as 5'10" and 200 pounds on 247sports, which seems about right for what I see on the tape.  On3 has Gibson listed at 5'9.5", 215 pounds, which may be a more accurate measurement for where he is now.  Regardless, I didn't mean to call the dude Deuce Vaughn or Darren Sproles, I just meant his size makes me worry about him toting the rock 25-30 times a game with his violent running style over the course of a season.   I think he's going to be a really good player and I agree, I think he does work on inside zone.

You think Livingstone is a 4.4 guy?  I dunno man.  He's roasting the dudes on his film, but they don't look like D1 athletes.  But I do like his catch radius, he has quite a few circus catches in his junior film, along with that crazy one along the  sideline at 00:26 in his senior tape.  If he can give us that 2-3 times a game, then yeah, I don't care how fast he is or how well he runs routes.  

I think Baker and Cruz are both better than anyone we've recruited on the offensive line other than Kelvin Banks in the last 20 years.  It would surprise me if both aren't in the two-deep next year.

Agree on burners.  Harlem Berry and Ryan Williams, come on down.

Livingstone said he ran a mid 4.4 on Bobby's show when he was a guest last week. He is a long strider, so that can be a bit deceptive. It is also why he looks like a baby giraffe cutting in and out of routes.

Gibson is never going to need to tote the rock 30 times in Sark's scheme. Bijan only did that once or twice his whole career. Christian Clark is another hammer that they can use to split carries between the tackles. With Baxter, Gibson, and Clark we should absolutely wear teams out, and then let Blue and Wisner gash them late with big runs.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

On what planet are X Worthy and Blue not burners guys? 

2025 is two years from now. Worthy will be halfway through his rookie contract, and Blue would be in his last year here. If they don't replace that speed in 2025, then it is a mistake. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

How big do you think RBs are supposed to be? Bijan is 5’11 215 lbs right now in the NFL.

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

2025 is two years from now. Worthy will be halfway through his rookie contract, and Blue would be in his last year here. If they don't replace that speed in 2025, then it is a mistake. 

What you said was that we are lacking burners at RB and WR on the current roster. 

45 minutes ago, Red Five said:

On what planet are X Worthy and Blue not burners guys? 

I assumed we were talking about future rosters when these players will be hitting the field, 2026-2027.  Obviously, Worthy and Blue are insanely fast players.  

13 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

How big do you think RBs are supposed to be? Bijan is 5’11 215 lbs right now in the NFL.

Bijan also jukes people out of their socks and avoids taking a bunch of direct hits.  Jerrick Gibson runs right at dudes and takes a lot of contact with his running style.  I'd prefer if he had more of a Tahj Boyd build with that style.  

11 minutes ago, Fumbles said:

I assumed we were talking about future rosters when these players will be hitting the field, 2026-2027.  Obviously, Worthy and Blue are insanely fast players.  

Bijan also jukes people out of their socks and avoids taking a bunch of direct hits.  Jerrick Gibson runs right at dudes and takes a lot of contact with his running style.  I'd prefer if he had more of a Tahj Boyd build with that style.  

Googles former Clemson qb build

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Maybe we see him in the starting lineup before we start projecting him as an early entry into the NFL draft. 

It’s true that we’ve only had a glimpse of Cam as a starter.  He did have an impressive 5 pancake blocks though.  He also had 3 false starts which certainly needs improvement.

tldr; he is a beast albeit raw.

Aaron Butler post Oregon OV notes, our in-home a couple weeks ago is mentioned but he may push back to February which would obviously be good if we then prioritize him

Calabasas (Calif.) athlete Aaron Butler took his final official visit over the weekend to Arizona and a decision could come next week.

Butler was a long time commitment to Colorado before backing off his pledge a week ago. He quickly set up an official trip to Arizona after the Wildcat coaches came in for a home visit last Monday.

“I really enjoyed it there,” Butler said. “I think what stood out most was the family environment and the hospitality.

“I felt like I connected really well with the players and coaches on the team and everyone was very welcoming to me. I visited once before but that was back in 8th grade so this was a chance to see the campus and the city of Tucson and I had a great time.”

Arizona wide out Kevin Green was Butlers player host.

“All the players I met were great with me,” Butler said. “Kevin was cool and I was able to hang out with a lot of the guys including Noah (Fifita).

“He’s a good dude, very humble and like I said, I got along really well with everyone. I enjoyed being around coach Fisch and and the rest of the staff and they had a very straight forward message for me. They want me to come to Tucson, win a lot of games and compete at a high level.”

Butler said Arizona’s strength and conditioning program impressed him as well.

“They have a really good strength program and I like how they take care of the players,” Butler said. “It’s very technical in what they do, from how they train the players to the meal prep and that’s important to me.

“It goes beyond just the training, it’s making sure you’re on top of your classes and they really want to develop you there in all areas. There’s a lot of opportunity to make an impact and I like Arizona a lot right now.”

The Early Signing Period starts on Wednesday and Butler said he would love to make a decision this week if he can.

“That would be ideal for me but I’m not going to rush it either,” Butler said. “Right now, the plan for me and my family is to really pray on this, mediate and see what the best move for me is.

“I’m still talking to some other schools so I’m just praying for clarity right now. If I feel good about where I should go, I’ll go ahead and commit and sign this week but if not, I’ll hold off. It’s a big decision and I just don’t want to rush it.”

In addition to the Wildcats, Butler did a home visit with Texas two weeks ago and took an unofficial visit to Washington last month. the talented wide out is currently rated the No. 88 player nationally in the Top247.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

What you said was that we are lacking burners at RB and WR on the current roster. 

Yeah, I was talking mostly about the recruits, it was bad wording. Wingo has legit speed, but Johntay isn’t quite the deep threat as Worthy, and both of our RB takes are between the tackles type guys.

• Like 1

It’s true that we’ve only had a glimpse of Cam as a starter.  He did have an impressive 5 pancake blocks though.  He also had 3 false starts which certainly needs improvement.
tldr; he is a beast albeit raw.

He and dj were blowing people off the line of scrimmage on running plays. He was a big step up in the run game vs jones.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

This guy looks a lot larger in pads than he has in street clothes. Worth a take considering he can just eat and lift for 2 years straight. Although his arms may get shorter as he bulks up.

I had a similar problem, but for me, it was my cock that got shorter.

• Haha 8