Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

image.png.575c691df1fc6620483a8c11f56e5b77.png

Higher average than FSU with 1 less commit. Even with Tyanthony Smith added we are still behind FSU at 289.28

It will take a getting a Dominic McKinley or Dealyn Evans flip to pass up FSU but that would also secure us a top 3 class. 

Another scenario to pass FSU would be if Auburn can actually flip KJ Bolden, they're allegedly working hard to achieve that.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Higher average than FSU with 1 less commit. Even with Tyanthony Smith added we are still behind FSU at 289.28

It will take a getting a Dominic McKinley or Dealyn Evans flip to pass up FSU but that would also secure us a top 3 class. 

Another scenario to pass FSU would be if Auburn can actually flip KJ Bolden, they're allegedly working hard to achieve that.

FYI -- 247 has updated our overall class rank to #3, but we're still sitting at #5 in composite score...

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Auburn flipping Ryan Williams would push us above Bama as well. 

Foster/Evans would solidify us in the #3 spot. Whicht seems more realistic at the time being. 

Eric Nahlin: Additions of Mukuba and Filsaime offer primary solutions to secondary issues

In the span of a couple hours Texas landed commitments from Clemson defensive back Andrew Mukuba and Florida commit Xavier Filsaime. Given recent attrition, as well as the expectation of even more, Texas’ 2024 secondary was already guaranteed to look different than in 2023. But, with the two additions today we’re getting a glimpse of how next year’s secondary will look.

Blake Gideon has received plenty of criticism this season but I’ve remained mum. The reason being, he hasn’t had as much talent to work with it at safety as the other coaches have at their respective positions. That reasoning is slowly losing punch as safety is seeing a significant upgrade in talent. That upgrade began in 2023 with the signing of Derek Williams. The Louisiana native made his share of freshman mistakes, but his talent was obvious to anyone paying attention.

Williams should be in line to start in 2024. The addition of Williams is a reminder of Texas’ recruiting approach — an approach that wasn’t exactly favorable to Gideon. Texas has preferred to add coverage players with intelligence and toughness who could eventually play safety, but only if cornerback and Star don’t pan out. That plan takes a while to unfold.

In previous cycles Texas has only taken one true safety. In 2022 it was B.J. Allen. Needless to say, it didn’t work out with the former Aledo star. He entered the portal earlier this month and committed to North Texas. In 2023, the lone safety signee was Williams. That signing looks like it will play major dividends. The hope and belief is Filsaime can make a similar impact in 2024, especially as an early enrollee.

But in the event Filsaime isn’t ready to log heavy snaps as a freshmen, the coaches don’t have all their eggs in that basket. Mukuba, who starred at safety as a true freshman at Clemson, could return to the position if necessary after playing Star the last two seasons. The 2024 class also features Jordon Johnson-Rubell who could eventually play safety or Star and is also an early enrollee.

It’s still to early to know how the 2024 secondary will shake out, but it’s safe to say it’ll be the most talented secondary Texas has fielded during the Steve Sarkisian era. Your cornerbacks will be a combination of Terrance Brooks, Malik Muhammad, Gavin Holmes, Kobe Black, and Wardell Mack. Star will be Andrew Mukuba, Jaylon Guilbeau, and Austin Jordan. At safety you’ll see Williams, the underrated Michael Taaffe, Filsaime and perhaps Mukuba and even Ryan Watts and/or Jelani McDonald.

On paper, safety still lacks proven depth, but talent is increasing thanks to the additions of Mukuba and Filsaime. I wonder if Blake Gideon will “become” a better coach as the baseline talent he’s working with increases.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

So, noticed something about Filsaime's ranking;  if we get him, it's sure to annoy Agroids everywhere 🙂.

Here's his 247Sports history; note Filsaime has moved up 1 spot today ... 

image.thumb.png.a07e6d67991bee54975cef5c6958c27c.png

The consequence of that one-spot rise?

image.thumb.png.1c77715a79148b1df3bba07e2c2f9fdf.png

Yep, he's a 5-star on 247Sports.

This could just be because of someone else moving down, etc. ... but you know one group will be sure to attribute it exclusively to a BOMC 🙂.  

Hope we get him 🤞🤞🤞.

(They've come out with another update - not sure of all the changes, but screw 'em (think Robinson's still a 3-star, etc.)).

They're already ahead of you.  BOMC

The best part is an aggy is the one correcting the moron 

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

I’m also starting to have a problem picking out my favorite recruit of the class. I remember the days where the choice was between two or three. There are plentyyy of options with this class. Gotta be between Simmons and Wingo but hard to not like gibson, XF, Mack-had to help with XF, Baker, and on. If you count transfers, I think I saw 4-5 one handed catches in Goldens highlights, we could use that fighting for the ball and AM should have always been here…a lot to love/pick between.

Edited by RockyMountainHighHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

At this point, it don't make a shit. We got pretty much everything we needed to get in this cycle. If we can get Smith and/or Evans it would just be the chef's kiss on top of a great class. 

Are they planning on getting any interior dlineman to replace Sweat, Murphy and some depth with experience?  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I’m also starting to have a problem picking out my favorite recruit of the class. I remember the days where the choice was between two or three. There are plentyyy of options with this class. Gotta be between Simmons and Wingo but hard to not like gibson, XF, Mack-had to help with XF, Baker, and on. 

The 5 stars are easy, but guys like Cruz, Robinson, Clark, and January seem like they may turn out to be very underrated. I would have said Owens as well, but he’s getting noticed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Are they planning on getting any interior dlineman to replace Sweat, Murphy and some depth with experience?  

I will point you to Alex January and D'antre Robinson, sir. Both guys are going to be monsters. I would hope they go find another upperclassmen in the portal, but it is really just going to come down to finding a guy that is starter quality, which has proven to be difficult without spending huge $$ for questionable character high talent type dudes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The Foster, Evans stuff seems to have put him on back burner. 

Nah, Hibbler was a take. Not easy to get those Mississippi guys if the instate schools want them. 

He seemed to shut things down for good after the in-home with the new staff.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

This odious mofo couldn't even get spell the recruit's name correctly. (It's Winston, not Watson, Sherlock ... )

image.thumb.png.629f362609a1c9b7a44b0e042ccc080e.png

In true Katfidian fashion, Ham Boy is having trouble keeping our Georgia guys straight. Confusing Emaree Winston with Kenyatta Watson is just so easy to do.