USMNT 2021

Napoleon

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

With all of our talk about Dos a Cero, the rest of the group has really started to shake out

image.thumb.png.5176adf26482980396616b47b3db5fd6.png

Halfway through this and we are starting to see separation between the top 4 and bottom 4. You have to think US and Mexico are in. With Canada and Panama fighting for the last automatic spot and the playoff spot.

And for all this celebrating, we can't stop, go beat Jamaica.

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It just made it that much more delicious that Jon Champion said it as soon as McKennie netted the second goal.  

Twellman thought that was classless and that he shouldn't have said it.

17 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Mexico has to feel like shit. They are old as shit and that’s really why we ran a train on them in the 2nd half. We also didn’t start our two best players (Puli and Gio). Bad ass fucking night. This shit will never get old. 

I don't know if Gio is a top 2 player for us yet. He probably has the most raw talent of anyone that's ever played for us but not sure I'd rather him on the pitch than McKennie or even Adams or Dest depending on the night. 

Just now, dieucla98 said:

Also, CP10 is still our most important player. In case someone had any doubt. 😉

I'd say Tyler Adams. Had some bad giveaways early tonight, but he's a ball hawk out there. So good at winning the ball, transitioning to offense, covering for others, knowing when to push and when to play it safe. If he stays healthy, he's going to end up the best holding mid we've ever fielded.

Right now, CP is the best field player in USMNT history, but we do have a lot of talent on the wings and in the attacking midfield. We don't have anyone who can do what Adams does. Acosta on his best night, but you can't rely on that. Maybe Musah with more seasoning. Pero ahora? Solamente Adams, amigo.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I don't know if Gio is a top 2 player for us yet. He probably has the most raw talent of anyone that's ever played for us but not sure I'd rather him on the pitch than McKennie or even Adams or Dest depending on the night. 

Gio is better than Musah and I like Musah. If we have Puli and Gio starting this, this is even worse. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Twellman is a twat sooooooo.... ?

His only saving grace is he has great play by play alongside him. Ian Darke and now Champion. He's the definition of riding on coat tails. Stu Holden is a better color commentator for USMNT and that's saying a lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Twellman can eat a shit sandwich.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I'd say Tyler Adams. Had some bad giveaways early tonight, but he's a ball hawk out there. So good at winning the ball, transitioning to offense, covering for others, knowing when to push and when to play it safe. If he stays healthy, he's going to end up the best holding mid we've ever fielded.

Right now, CP is the best field player in USMNT history, but we do have a lot of talent on the wings and in the attacking midfield. We don't have anyone who can do what Adams does. Acosta on his best night, but you can't rely on that. Maybe Musah with more seasoning. Pero ahora? Solamente Adams, amigo.

That's fair. I'd say it's akin to picking Justin Mason as the best player on his Texas bball teams as the "glue" guy.

Adams vs CP is an MVP vs MOP kind of agruement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Right now, CP is the best field player in USMNT history

dude

he hasn't played in a world cup yet

he hasn't scored a winner over england

he is dozens of goals behind multiple studs

now...

he does have multiple game winners over the scumbags

he does have a critical goal in a champions league semi tie

he features for one of the best teams in the best league on the planet

but let's hold off on crowning him Motherfucking Bo Davis

• Haha 1

Some more thoughts:

How telling is it that, in our most important qualifying match to date, Gergg sits his pets (Arriola, Lletget, Acosta, etc.) and rolls out the lineup we're always clamoring to see?

Only lineup quibble was Steffen. His decision-making still seems questionable (uncertain?), particularly when coming off his line, but he stepped up when we needed him.

Not a big Yedlin fan, but he was excellent tonight. Got caught napping once and it nearly cost us, but otherwise, Mexico had no joy on its left side. DeAndre handled the ball better than normal. His crossing has always been good and he very nearly found a head or two.

Don't think Antonee Robinson played nearly as poorly as @ztejas claims. Defending Mexico's right--where Tecatito roams--is no easy task. He mostly did a good job of shutting things down and getting forward. The thought of Dest trying to mark Corona gives me nightmares. For me, Antonee is the clear choice at LB.

Musah and Weah continue to impress. They just ooze class and potential. Hope Gergg sticks with them for the Jamaica match. He has to, right?

Even before his goal, McKennie looked his best since August. Took better care of the ball than he did in the previous cycle and was very positive.

Also, Myles was unlucky and Zimmerman deserves better than Nashville, but at 28, I guess that's as good as it's gonna get.

Finally, missing Myles and McKennie for Jamaica is gonna suck but that just gives a couple of other youngsters the opportunity to step up. I think they will.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

dude

he hasn't played in a world cup yet

he hasn't scored a winner over england

he is dozens of goals behind multiple studs

now...

he does have multiple game winners over the scumbags

he does have a critical goal in a champions league semi tie

he features for one of the best teams in the best league on the planet

but let's hold off on crowning him Motherfucking Bo Davis

I'll stand on what I said. Pulisic isn't the most decorated (not his fault), but he's the best player we've fielded ... to date. Superior combination of talent and creativity.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Don't think Antonee Robinson played nearly as poorly as @ztejas claims. Defending Mexico's right--where Tecatito roams--is no easy task. He mostly did a good job of shutting things down and getting forward. The thought of Dest trying to mark Corona gives me nightmares. For me, Antonee is the clear choice at LB.

I thought he was better in the 2nd half. He helped create* one of their really good chances in the first half and I thought he had a lot of poor individual plays on the ball - especially on offense. Sure he's probably a better defender than Dest but tonight was an off night for him and Dest is so much more dangerous in the opposite third.

Granted - I'm not sure anyone knows what position Dest is supposed to play. Antonee may be a better LB but he sure as shit isn't a better player. Dest was playing on the wing for Barca before he got hurt.

I guess what I'm saying is - I want that dude on the field and if we have to live with whatever D he gives us I'm sort of okay with it. 

Edited by ztejas

been doing a little boozing this evening. Had money on USA in regulation  +177, then bet the over 1.5 in game for like +125, and then when it was still 0-0, doubled down on USA +195. In summary, just checking in to say "Jnip, Jersey Man.....kiss my hairy fucking beanbag".

image.thumb.png.fc5d09bf649db30f594ffa7150b1a9a5.png

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I thought he was better in the 2nd half. He created one of their really good chances in the first half and I thought he had a lot of poor individual plays on the ball - especially on offense. Sure he's probably a better defender than Dest but tonight was an off night for him and Dest is so much more dangerous in the opposite third.

Granted - I'm not sure anyone knows what position Dest is supposed to play. Antonee may be a better LB but he sure as shit isn't a better player. Dest was playing on the wing for Barca before he got hurt.

Everyone knows Dest's club, dude.

Yes, he can play either side, but he's better on the right and his marking is questionable. Tonight would not have been the time to trot him out at LB. Tecatito is a deft li'l wizard with the ball at his feet. We absolutely had to have someone with more focus and discipline.

Digging the new av, btw.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Everyone knows Dest's club, dude.

Wasn't pimping Barca I was trying to make the point that for club he wasn't even playing in the back before he got dinged. "For club" = "for Barca"

There are plenty of guys in the championship that could find a spot in La Liga.

And kind of had to with the av - right? It's the 2.0 from my last one.

19 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

How telling is it that, in our most important qualifying match to date, Gergg sits his pets (Arriola, Lletget, Acosta, etc.) and rolls out the lineup we're always clamoring to see?

Richards didn't start and Scally didn't even make the bench, so I'm not sure you can give the fanbase credit for clamoring for the lineup that started tonight. There was zero chance that Lletget, Acosta, or Roldan were going to start in this game.

This was also essentially the same lineup as the Costa Rica and Jamaica games from last window

24 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Granted - I'm not sure anyone knows what position Dest is supposed to play.

His position is very clearly right back. The only reason he ever plays left back for the US is because we have way more depth on the right. With Scally potentially able to backup both sides and Vines healthy again (and the Cannon/Reynolds/Moore right backs not looking as great at the moment), Dest hopefully won't have to move back to the left for a while.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Richards didn't start and Scally didn't even make the bench, so I'm not sure you can give the fanbase credit for clamoring for the lineup that started tonight. There was zero chance that Lletget, Acosta, or Roldan were going to start in this game.

This was also essentially the same lineup as the Costa Rica and Jamaica games from last window

Zero chance? I don't have as much confidence in Gergg as you.

Been trying to defend him, but after he started Arriola for the first two matches of the previous cycle and only scratched him from the third match because of an injury in warmups despite Paul ruining every buildup that came his way, I'm back to questioning how well GGG knows/understands his player pool.

Bearing that in mind, I'm going to flinch anytime Beerholder calls up his usual pets for fear he's going to repeat past mistakes.

As for Scally, I think most of us are just happy to see him finally called up. Yedlin played well enough tonight to keep him on the bench Tuesday.

Myles and Zimmerman deserved the start over Roberts, imo, but Chris will have his chance to shine versus Jamaica.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It very clearly isn't. He's probably a natural wingback that plays forward better than defenders and defends better than forwards.

Sure, he's more of a wingback than a true right back. But the only time he's ever played any position for club or country other than right back or right wing back has been taking advantage of his versatility out of necessity because other options were unavailable, not because right back is not his position.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Hey @Napoleon how you like that boy now?

Which boy?

I noticed that 3 FC Dallas players started: McKennie, Zimmerman, and Pepi

1 FC Dallas was about to come on before Miles Robinson got his second yellow = red: Cannon

4 FC Dallas Academy players were subbed on: Acosta, Richards, Ferreira, and…

Funes Mori (MEX).

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!

Maybe, maybe La Masia could match that in 2010-2014, but other than that, even River Plate & Boca Jrs didn’t produce that many guys on a single team coming out of their academy/making their professional debuts.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Which boy?

1 FC Dallas was about to come on before Miles Robinson got his second yellow = red: Cannon

Funes Mori (MEX).

Maybe, maybe La Masia could match that in 2010-2014, but other than that, even River Plate & Boca Jrs didn’t produce that many guys on a single team coming out of their academy/making their professional debuts.

Hell of an academy for being stateside. And yet their MLS team is a disaster. Oh well. Sacrifice I'm willing to make. 

Maybe I'll wear my FC Dallas quarter zip tomorrow to honor the result. 

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it goes back to the 90s and Luis Hernandez racking Lalas, uncarded

Or a half-dozen straight reds in Jeonju

but it is mostly about their bridge and tunnel scumbag disgusting fans

i've been showered with urine bags, coins, razor blades, and broken glass bottles

only tri fans can so disgustingly shit on the soccer gods and these last 3 results are Karma Paid In Full

Batteries hitting me in the head and hot ass ramen cups being thrown are what I remember from azteca and those mfers can eat shit tonight. The yanks are fucking ready 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It very clearly isn't. He's probably a natural wingback that plays forward better than defenders and defends better than forwards.

53 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

Sure, he's more of a wingback than a true right back. But the only time he's ever played any position for club or country other than right back or right wing back has been taking advantage of his versatility out of necessity because other options were unavailable, not because right back is not his position.

Dest likely won’t be playing much Right Back/ Wing Back after January 1st, so he better heal fast if he wants to play defense for a few games. 

Dest is a winger who sucks in the box and who sucks at defense. If he wants to play for club and/or country, he had better learn to defend or learn to finish in the box. 

Barcelona complete Dani Alves' return as boss Xavi Hernandez makes first signing

Defender Dani Alves has completed a shock return to Barcelona and becomes the first signing under new coach Xavi Hernandez, the club announced Friday…

Sources previously told ESPN that Barca were reluctant to bring back Alves, but the return of Xavi, who was appointed as manger last week following the sacking of Ronald Koeman, caused a change of opinion.

The club said in a statement: "FC Barcelona and Dani Alves have reached an agreement in principle for the player to join the football first team for the remainder of the current season. The Brazilian will be joining training from next week but will not be able to play until January.

www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/4518750/barcelona-complete-dani-alves-return-as-boss-xavi-hernandez-makes-first-signing%3Fplatform%3Damp

Edited by Napoleon

...and Walker Zimmerman (3) Chris Richards (substitute's top) come over to join the FRISCO PARTY !!!

Are you kidding me? Holy tollroad suburbia, Batman!!

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 12.57.08 AM.png

L-R: McKennie (8), Zimmerman (3), Acosta (23), Ferreira (19), and Richards (substitute)

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Dest is a winger who sucks in the box and who sucks at defense. If he wants to play for club and/or country, he had better learn to defend or learn to finish in the box. 

Your fascination with shitting on our top players continues to intrigue me. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

...and Walker Zimmerman (3) Chris Richards (substitute's top) come over to join the FRISCO PARTY !!!

Are you kidding me? Holy tollroad suburbia, Batman!!

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 12.57.08 AM.png

L-R: McKennie (8), Zimmerman (3), Acosta (23), Ferreira (19), and Richards (substitute)

Thank god for that toll road too. Driving from Grapevine to McKinney before the tollroad just to get some was a massive pain in the ass back in the day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

Thank god for that toll road too. Driving from Grapevine to McKinney before the tollroad just to get some was a massive pain in the ass back in the day. 

I’m not talking about THAT tollway (Sam Rayburn), I am talking about The North Dallas Tollway.

01A58484-93B6-4CC7-A76E-BA23507BABF4.jpeg

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Which boy?

Funes Mori (MEX).

Yea, I love that Bayern partnered up with FC Dallas.  They tapped the best development pool stateside early.  

That ref and VAR situation was/is crap.  If every qualifying game is on TV, then there's no excuse not to have some sort of setup to review plays.   The cost should be part of the officiating expenditures - i.e. on CONCACAF.  If they can pay for it here and in Mexico, they should be able to pay for it elsewhere.

As per the ref, we're now screwed out of 2 starters for Jamaica.  It does us no good to win last night, then lose on Tuesday.  3 + 0 = 0 + 3.  How we end up with 2 cards for defending a player verbally that just got his face raked, while Mexico's players continued to yell directly in the ref's face is beyond me.

And, I'd really love to buy a "Man in the Mirror" shirt, but everyone would just think I was a Michael Jackson fan.