Dallas Cowboys 2021 Offseason Thread: Fuck It All

Vic Mackey

2 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Yeah gotta factor in the 1st and 2nd round LB busts on the Cowboys.

this.  Parsons is likely a good player it just sucks that our dumbass owner took huge reaches on Smith and Vander Esch and like clockwork bombed.  fixing a problem we created with a 1st round LB is....suboptimal.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So Chicago didn’t offer us better than a third rounder for our pick?  Or Jerry didn’t want to go back to 20 because this team is a linebacker away from the superb owl?

Cowboys some good luck away from a wild card birth. Let's be honest. Jerry only cares about the value of the Cowboys. Make terrible draft picks most years.

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So Chicago didn’t offer us better than a third rounder for our pick?  Or Jerry didn’t want to go back to 20 because this team is a linebacker away from the superb owl?

"Pittsburgh is goin' to the Superb Owl, we got a feelin'!"

since the cowboys will never get there again I'm all in on calling it the Superb Owl

1 minute ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Cowboys some good luck away from a wild card birth. Let's be honest. Jerry only cares about the value of the Cowboys. Make terrible draft picks most years.

there is nothing in this world that Jerry wants more than a championship without Jimmy, he's just too stupid to do it

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My issue is not with Parsons himself. But the fact that we need a LB this high when Jaylon was a very high 2nd Rd pick and LVE was a 1st rd pick. Those guys should apart of the core of this defense. But they suck so bad, we already are looking to move on and replace. I harp on this constantly with this front office. We draft so much to just replace god awful picks just years prior. And we never make any progress. Just continue to spin our wheels on the mediocre train.

We have no idea how to build a defense. Every high defensive pick the last years are terrible. Taco isn't even here and Jaylon and LVE will be gone soon I'm guessing.

28 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

All yall hating on Parsons must have forgotten what the LBs looked like last season 

This is the correct response. Surtain would have completed a nice set of corners, but our LBs were total shit. Probably a worse position group. The most important thing was getting a player who will step right in and be a badass for the next decade.

• Hook 'Em 1

Never been a half-full glass kinda guy, but this was a good year to have a top 10 pick and actually get a solid player who belongs in the top 10. It gets fairly dicey from here. Regardless of position, seems like a good pick. Penn State linebackers tend to have a pretty good record, as well. I still hope V-E rebounds and sticks around and form a great LB corps.

• Like 1

12. Dallas Cowboys (from Philadelphia Eagles)

Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State | Highlights

Why they picked him: Coach Mike McCarthy said the Cowboys needed to get faster on defense. Parsons ran a 4.39 40-yard dash at his pro day. He was an impact player at Penn State and considered one of the best athletes in the draft. He had 19 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, six forced fumbles and five pass deflections in two seasons. The Cowboys were focused on corners, but Jaycee Horn and Patrick Surtain II went right before their pick, leading them to move down in a trade with Philadelphia.

Biggest question: How does he fit with Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch in 2021? He has some pass rush ability, so will the Cowboys use him in a designated pass-rusher role? Smith is on the books for a guaranteed $7.2 million in 2020, while the Cowboys are likely to pass on picking up the fifth-year option on Vander Esch, which needs to be exercised by Monday. -- Todd Archer

I don't thin there's that much value to trade up into the first. Another second rounder a better bet, probably. But they need a lot, so possibly just use their picks wisely. Could get a decent corner with their 2 if it falls right, pick up a guard, safety, DT, positions that can be good value picks at 3.

Just now, DougO said:

I don't thin there's that much value to trade up into the first. Another second rounder a better bet, probably. But they need a lot, so possibly just use their picks wisely. Could get a decent corner with their 2 if it falls right, pick up a guard, safety, DT, positions that can be good value picks at 3.

Agreed. Only guy I would love to move up for is Moehrig. Otherwise, there’s a lot of talent in the back half of the 2nd that we could grab 2 guys from with the extra picks.

38 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah Giants made a hell of a deal assuming they draft well with the extra picks -- Dallas missed out

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah Giants made a hell of a deal assuming they draft well with the extra picks -- Dallas missed out

And this is what bother me the most.  There is no way Chicago wouldn't have given the same deal to the Cowboys, is there?  Did they not pick up the phone?  Did Chicago really not offer that to the Cowboys one pick ahead to guarantee they got their pick? 

It would have hurt the short term draft, since quality really falls off quick and wouldn't have an extra 3, but a much later extra pick. The Cowboys need to improve this year, this staff ain't got time to fuck around and gamble on a better draft next year, and where that number one might fall.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DougO said:

It would have hurt the short term draft, since quality really falls off quick and wouldn't have an extra 3, but a much later extra pick. The Cowboys need to improve this year, this staff ain't got time to fuck around and gamble on a better draft next year, and where that number one might fall.

They would have had another first round pick next year. A first round pick next worth is worth way more than a 3rd round this year.  If they were offered that deal and didn't take it, they are dumber than I thought...and I think they are dumber than any professional franchise on the planet.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

They would have had another first round pick next year. A first round pick next worth is worth way more than a 3rd round this year.  If they were offered that deal and didn't take it, they are dumber than I thought...and I think they are dumber than any professional franchise on the planet.

First round picks are not created equally. You're rolling the dice on what the one next year will be. It could work out, or could go wrong. The Cowboys made the right choice for this team this year. The Giants MAY have made the right pick for their team for long term, but it's still a crapshoot.

One may eventually argue the Giants got the better deal when it all pans out, but I don't think one could argue that what the Cowboys did was not smart. They did well. They have a bunch of second day picks to work with an have a chance to make a move towards big improvement soon.

This is why I can't take PFF seriously and their "grades" are always so full of shit. LB is not a need because Jaylon and LVE are here? Lmao. Do these pencil pushing dorks even watch these games? Those 2 are terrible and so bad, that LB became a huge need overnight. The drop off after their 2018 seasons has been drastic. LB was absolutely a huge need. Top 12 pick need? Maybe not. But it was one of their most dire needs on defense. Our 2nd level was atrocious, especially with Jaylon dancing 20 yards field after a tackle.

pff.PNG

• Hook 'Em 2