2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

This reminds me of the time Jeff Madden learned on Oprah that eating bad foods is bad for you and will impact your performance as an athlete. 

I didn't make that up. It really happened. There was a whole article about it in the Statesman. 

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

This reminds me of the time Jeff Madden learned on Oprah that eating bad foods is bad for you and will impact your performance as an athlete. 
I didn't make that up. It really happened. There was a whole article about it in the Statesman. 
At least old fatdog was watching something besides CSI in his office

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Gawt damm Louisiana better not eff up the Sark christening. 

ISU held Louisiana’s offense to under 300 yards and stopped them twice in the red zone, but gave up a kick off return for a TD, a punt return for a TD, and fumbled on a punt that pinned them inside their own 10. I think we’ll be fine as long as we don’t fuck special teams up like ISU did.  

Edited by TXRed
Typo
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

But then this reminds me of VY destroying people while consuming chicken & waffles, Cheesecake Factory, and liquor.  Those were the days.

I am pretty sure one of the articles about Herman and his burnt toast and runny eggs crap mentioned the training staff had to convince him not to do worse shit with the food because it could give the guys salmonella.  Like he wanted them to have undercooked chicken or something.  It was the most insane nutrition tidbit I’d seen in modern sports.  MENSA my ass.

I don’t think Vince went Cheesecake Factory until a couple of years into the pros

So Louisiana lost 2 of the 3 of their 3 head monster of a rushing attack (with both going to the NFL) and their LT. So let’s see how good their ground game is without the proven NFL talent before we instantly believe that their ground game is going to grind everyone they play up…

• Hook 'Em 1

Gawt damm Louisiana better not eff up the Sark christening. 
Aside from the obvious difference in coaching quality, a big difference from Tom's opening loss against Maryland is that no one thought they could beat Texas and it seems obvious the team (and probably coaches) treated the game as such with preparation.

This game is going to have some hype as an early top 25 matchup, and given it's trendy to pick against Texas there will be a ton of picks for Louisiana to win.

If they outplay us or they're just a better team and we lose, ok, but they definitely shouldn't catch us by surprise.

12 hours ago, Newdoc said:

I’d like to welcome all the baseball fans to football off-season. Pull up a chair for the next couple of months.

Its good to be back, we had one hell of a ride on the board. Looking forward to catching up.  Transfer WR Smith announce USC yet?

19 hours ago, Red Five said:

It remains one of the most unbelievable sports-related things I’ve ever read. Brown and Bryant had the article put together as frustrations from players, parents and fans mounted about the general sloth and incompetence coming from Madden and his staff. Then he’s talking about getting tips from Oprah’s tv shows. 

Just looking at that gluttonous fuck should have confirmed to anyone paying attention that Texas was not maximizing its resources or even coming close. 

18 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

But then this reminds me of VY destroying people while consuming chicken & waffles, Cheesecake Factory, and liquor.  Those were the days.

I am pretty sure one of the articles about Herman and his burnt toast and runny eggs crap mentioned the training staff had to convince him not to do worse shit with the food because it could give the guys salmonella.  Like he wanted them to have undercooked chicken or something.  It was the most insane nutrition tidbit I’d seen in modern sports.  MENSA my ass.

I still think the Madden article was more insane and his tenure at Texas more absurd, but I agree with the Herman insanity too. It looks like Texas has been intentionally trying to fuck up in football for 11+ years. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It remains one of the most unbelievable sports-related things I’ve ever read. Brown and Bryant had the article put together as frustrations from players, parents and fans mounted about the general sloth and incompetence coming from Madden and his staff. Then he’s talking about getting tips from Oprah’s tv shows. 

The whole thing was jaw dropping, but my favorite part was Madden describing how he was laying on his couch watching Oprah at like 3:00 on a Tuesday. Like, he thought this was going to make him look good.

"And then Oprah said, athletes who consume lean meats and vegetables perform better than those who eat donuts for every meal. I was floored."

Has there ever been a bigger disconnect between desired image and actual outcome than Tom Herman?

I mean, for all Madden's sloth and ignorance, Mack Brown's teams had one of the better decade runs anyone anywhere has ever had. Yes, they should have been better, and we can all recount our favorite reasons why, but in the end, they brought home one championship and woulda-coulda-shoulda brought home another one.

Herman, though, bumblefucked away multiple advantages in ways that still mystify me. He's not stupid, he should have, and I think did, know better. So.... why? What the actual fuck, man?

If Sarkisian fails, I'm just hoping it isn't out of terminal self-pitying stupidity like the last guy. I'm ready for more post-mortems of the "why didn't we win even moar" variety. Give me making fun of Madden over lamenting Herman any day.

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

He's not stupid, he should have, and I think did, know better. So.... why? What the actual fuck, man?

His Mensa branding has been unbelievably helpful to him, because everyone seems to assume he’s smart, regardless of all the evidence to the contrary.

He doesn’t understand football. He was one fo the dumbest coaches we’ve had from a schematic standpoint in a while, especially when you consider what he allowed Orlando to run out there his last two years.  

All he learned is how to run one very basic and predictable system and never deviated. It’s pretty clear Herman’s not smart when it comes to football scheme or coaching hires, which are two of the biggest parts of the job. Even his second round of hires weren’t great. He passed up other better DCs so he could hire yet another coworker.

One of the only good things he did was build up our scouting staff, but that’s just something he copied directly from Meyer. 

There’s really nothing Herman did his entire tenure to make one think he actually is smart, unless you mean like Shaka Smart, in which case he made a lot of Smart moves. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Aside from the obvious difference in coaching quality, a big difference from Tom's opening loss against Maryland is that no one thought they could beat Texas and it seems obvious the team (and probably coaches) treated the game as such with preparation.

This game is going to have some hype as an early top 25 matchup, and given it's trendy to pick against Texas there will be a ton of picks for Louisiana to win.

If they outplay us or they're just a better team and we lose, ok, but they definitely shouldn't catch us by surprise.

Agree 100%. I feel sure that Sarkisian will have us ready to play and not fall into the same Terp trap that Herman fell into. Twice. All that said, Louisiana will bring more talent than most people expect from a Sun Belt school and I expect this to be their Super Bowl. I haven't seen a line yet but unless it's stratospheric, I like the over. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 1:57 PM, Red Five said:

I’ve seen Madden destroy a burger, fries and diet soda during the lunch break of a conference on nutrition in the Houston Galleria once. The best part of the story is they actually provided lunch for us yet he opted for Burger King instead. It was so fucking bizarre. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

His Mensa branding has been unbelievably helpful to him, because everyone seems to assume he’s smart, regardless of all the evidence to the contrast.

He doesn’t understand football. He was one fo the dumbest coaches we’ve had from a schematic standpoint in a while, especially when you consider what he allowed Orlando to run out there his last two years.   

Agreed. His general football instincts were just awful. He passed on kicking FGs when he shouldn't have; he went for 2 when he should have kicked, he kicked PATs when he should have gone for 2 (the end of the '20 OU game was inexcusable); he had the offense hurry up when it didn't make sense to do so; he inexplicably would stop running what was working within games; his personnel decisions were often odd.

He had plenty of other issues, like the staff he hired and the fact that his teams committed lots of dumb penalties and the special teams play was consistently shitty. But to me, it always just seemed like his in-game instincts were just off. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

He had plenty of other issues, like the staff he hired and the fact that his teams committed lots of dumb penalties and the special teams play was consistently shitty. But to me, it always just seemed like his in-game instincts were just off. 

To me, that's all results related criticism rather than a statement that the raw material was lacking. Everything that fails looks stupid in the rear view mirror. I don't think he was dumb, I think he made dumb decisions because of psychological stuntedness. He was smart enough; he just couldn't ever prove it.

I am holding my breath over a potentially similar issue with Sark going from coordinator to HC, based on his stated reasons for continuing to call plays. I don't think he'll fall into the trap of losing the big picture (and his far superior hiring of coordinators will help), but until he actually does well, it's only natural to feel a little PTSD as a Texas fan.

To me, that's all results related criticism rather than a statement that the raw material was lacking. Everything that fails looks stupid in the rear view mirror. I don't think he was dumb, I think he made dumb decisions because of psychological stuntedness. He was smart enough; he just couldn't ever prove it.
I am holding my breath over a potentially similar issue with Sark going from coordinator to HC, based on his stated reasons for continuing to call plays. I don't think he'll fall into the trap of losing the big picture (and his far superior hiring of coordinators will help), but until he actually does well, it's only natural to feel a little PTSD as a Texas fan.

Agree to an extent but some instances, like passing on two yards to win the game twice vs OU, were maddeningly stupid even before the result was known. He absolutely has a tendency to get so conservative as to be detrimental to performance.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Agree to an extent but some instances, like passing on two yards to win the game twice vs OU, were maddeningly stupid even before the result was known. He absolutely has a tendency to get so conservative as to be detrimental to performance.

I think we can all agree the final product made us all want to vomit.

I just want to win again. Is that so wrong?

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

A central feature with narcissism is that the narcissist stops learning. They hit puberty, they decide everything that they’ve been told by a parent or coaches or teachers about their brains or good looks or athleticism or some other elite talent really is true and the world revolves around them. Then anything from there that happens that is good is a byproduct of them and anything bad that happens is someone else’s fault. Either way, no lesson to be learned. 

So, sure, Herman was probably intelligent enough to justify the praise leading to narcissism. But narcissists notoriously peak and then get surpassed in their late 30’s/early 40’s. So, no, he was never smart and never will be smart. He has native intelligence that is stunted by his personality disorder and it’s going to go purely downhill from here for him, especially if he’s also a substance abuser. 

Anyway, Sarkisian doesn’t have any clear signs of being a naricissist, sociopath, genius, or bipolar. If he can stay off the sauce and he’s as football smart as he and his staff appear to be, we should be pretty good for a while. 

In Herman we got Sark in his pre- rock bottom years. Smart guy with self destructive tendencies that was his own worst enemy. I hope Herman gets it together, but getting a $15 million check for failing doesn’t exactly invite much introspection. My hope is that Sarkisian realizes that these opportunities are no longer a given and that he stays on the path he seems to have started on.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Got it.

Hide contents

Texas Longhorns (+3000)

... The Longhorns have a few rungs to climb before they can legitimately think about titles.

Whoever wrote that, fuck him. He has no business discussing the legitimacy of our title thoughts.

From what I saw at Bama at least Sark doesnt get in his own way. If he has something working that you cant stop, he seems pretty content to just beat your brains out with that and move on to the next week. 

Amazing how many "smart" football guys cant even manage that. Just win baby. 

• Hook 'Em 2