Hey PK -- What would you say you do here?

LTtxfan

Great discussion on OTF Livestream.

Gerry pissed at Gideon for playing Crawford and Taafe together.  It doesn't work.

Babers going off on terrible 2 minute defense.  Secondary constantly not passing off receivers correctly.  Too much off coverage by corners.  LACK OF A PASS RUSH IS KILLING US !!!

Bobby Burton going off that Texas can't afford to rest players anymore.  Injuries were significant today especially at CB.  Watts needs to play next week.  Hopefully Majors can return.  

Thx for fixing thread title @immamac

Edited by LTtxfan

I don't know what to make of the guy. Right now, it seems like he needs a pass rush in a bad way to make the defense he wants to run work.  But there isn't a single good, not to take of elite, pass rusher on this defense. We just occupy space at the line when teams are passing, and not often the right space...

• Rage+1 2

12 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

KSU’s mobile QB will stress this defense

Nah, our rush lanes were better this game. Gabriel is the only qb that has hurt us with his legs. You should be worried about any qb that make simple reads because our secondary is hot garbage at the moment. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hornsome said:

Without the refs, the D gives up another game winning (or tying) drive.   The D is bad and that’s on Pete.  Sarks offensive calling might be worse but that’s not changing this year.  

Yeah, once cougar high started running 3man front and shell coverage, the Texas offense struggled.  

It's Sarks kryptonite 

Horns inability to run against that look was really disappointing...

Our secondary is really shitty when any combination of Taafe, Crawford, and Thompson are on the field together. Catalon didn't play a snap, it appeared Barron was suspended for the 1st half. Still, why the fuck was Barron or Guilbeau not moved to S in the spring. Holy shit, that position is a fucking eyesore.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

59 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, once cougar high started running 3man front and shell coverage, the Texas offense struggled.  

It's Sarks kryptonite 

Horns inability to run against that look was really disappointing...

Except they ran the fly over the entire game. We were killing them early with check downs and underneath stuff.  The disappearance of our running game at times didn’t help

17 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Giving up 378 passing yards against a team that only had 233 passing yards against UTSA does not make me feel good about this secondary.

Heck, UTSA held UH to 17 total points.

"But you have to look at adjusted stats!!!!"

"Total passing yards are meaningless!!  That's so 2003."

"All teams give up tons of passing yards.  Texas fans are idiots because they only watch Texas games"

"The defense is fine.  By any fancy-pants football nerd measure, we're one of the top defenses in the country as long as you don't actually watch the games."  

I mean the book is out on how to be successful against the Texas D. The only way to mitigate that is for the front 4 to get pressure and they have all but disappeared. Really thought we had one with Burke but I guess not. Need Simmons to come in and be that guy. I agree that Barron and Gilbeau should have been cross trained at S. Everyone not name Derek Williams is a liability out there.

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

I mean the book is out on how to be successful against the Texas D. The only way to mitigate that is for the front 4 to get pressure and they have all but disappeared. Really thought we had one with Burke but I guess not. Need Simmons to come in and be that guy. I agree that Barron and Gilbeau should have been cross trained at S. Everyone not name Derek Williams is a liability out there.

I honestly don’t know what PK can do. Not fast enough to run with the deep routes and not athletic enough to keep everything in front. To cap it off, they’re not that smartest bunch either. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I don’t profess to be a Pop Warner coaching legend but does it seem like we never blitz on critical passing downs?

We blitzed a lot, it just we blitz off the edges almost exclusively and it doesn't work. You need to run stunts and blitz up the middle. Of course, it also doesn't help that we'd clear the entire middle of the field and played man against an air raid team.

• Rage+1 1

"But you have to look at adjusted stats!!!!"
"Total passing yards are meaningless!!  That's so 2003."
"All teams give up tons of passing yards.  Texas fans are idiots because they only watch Texas games"
"The defense is fine.  By any fancy-pants football nerd measure, we're one of the top defenses in the country as long as you don't actually watch the games."  

What about garbage time stats?
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ll say this,  idk who it is although PK is the DC, but we do our players a disservice!!

when we play 10yards off the WR you make it hard on the DB’s. Plus why do we recruit players like Manny, or Gilbeaux when we don’t even play Press man, isn’t that the very main reason we recruited them!?!? Crawford is not a Safety!!!!! Why don’t we put Austin Jordan back there, an actual Highschool safety????!?  

Our Defense was cooking when the D-Line got pressure!! You know when the front was able to get pressure? When the Corners pressed and made the QB hold the ball!!!!!! It’s not rocket science, when the DB presses the QB has to hold the ball and when that happens the D-Line is able to get pressure.  I’m not saying press every play, you have to be versatile but damn. Also miscommunication imo has to be coaching specifically when you keep putting the same duo back there even after they’ve shown you it’s a disconnect.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

I was driving all afternoon (thankfully) and haven't seen a replay or even any highlights. To save a lot of time and bandwidth, someone tell me what, if anything, we did well today. 

On defense? Well, we didn't allow** their QB (or anyone else) to run on us. (But giving up so much in passing kind of diminishes that.) We also recovered a fumble and got one interception.

On offense: our running game was pretty solid, when Sark would actually put in running plays other than "run into the pile in the middle." We didn't give up any fumbles or interceptions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Our secondary is really shitty when any combination of Taafe, Crawford, and Thompson are on the field together. Catalon didn't play a snap, it appeared Barron was suspended for the 1st half. Still, why the fuck was Barron or Guilbeau not moved to S in the spring. Holy shit, that position is a fucking eyesore.

Barron was hurt and didn’t practice all week. Talked his way onto the field in the second half.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, D3zii said:

I’ll say this,  idk who it is although PK is the DC, but we do our players a disservice!!

when we play 10yards off the WR you make it hard on the DB’s. Plus why do we recruit players like Manny, or Gilbeaux when we don’t even play Press man, isn’t that the very main reason we recruited them!?!? Crawford is not a Safety!!!!! Why don’t we put Austin Jordan back there, an actual Highschool safety????!?  

Our Defense was cooking when the D-Line got pressure!! You know when the front was able to get pressure? When the Corners pressed and made the QB hold the ball!!!!!! It’s not rocket science, when the DB presses the QB has to hold the ball and when that happens the D-Line is able to get pressure.  I’m not saying press every play, you have to be versatile but damn. Also miscommunication imo has to be coaching specifically when you keep putting the same duo back there even after they’ve shown you it’s a disconnect.

The press coverage thing is something every fan base thinks their DC doesn’t do enough. It seems so easy to talk about until you have dudes running by you (see: Baylor multiple times). UH actually had receivers we needed to respect down the field. We gave the OU receivers too much respect. Maybe PK got confused and switched gameplans. But sure, I’d love to see a little more aggression but we did blitz quite a bit today.

Our primary issue continues to be covering the middle of the field against slot receivers which has nothing to do with how far off a DB is playing. Our LB and safety coverage continues to be crap and it’s just a continuation from last year. Hill basically permanently replaced Gbenda halfway through the game because Gbenda was getting abused.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

What happened to Catalon? I obviously missed something about why he's injured. 

And fuck! We've gotta get Watts back this week. We cannot keep this shit we're doing. Taafe shouldn't be playing ever, and Crawford isn't a fucking safety. Where the fuck is Jordan? Wasn't he recruited as a safety? I saw him earlier in the season, and then he just disappeared...PK might be Karl "Sling Blade" Childers regarded cousin, I swear. It's more than obvious Fatterson was behind the defenses progression last season. PK is a dumb fuck for allowing our DB's to play 60 yards back from the WR's. 

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, safety is a huge problem and our LBs are terrible in zone pass coverage against crossers... just ridiculous.

9 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Burke has a leg/knee issue.  Also PK tried to drop him into coverage in short zones a few times.

12 hours ago, Hornsome said:

Without the refs, the D gives up another game winning (or tying) drive.   The D is bad and that’s on Pete.  Sarks offensive calling might be worse but that’s not changing this year.  

I'm not so sure about that. All that open space for crossing routes and finding open zones is suddenly gone. There's a reason why scoring from the 10 is the hardest place to score from. Teams that score from the 10 or, 9 in this case us, have a good ground game and the coogers had 14 rushing yards all game.

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

The press coverage thing is something every fan base thinks their DC doesn’t do enough. It seems so easy to talk about until you have dudes running by you (see: Baylor multiple times). UH actually had receivers we needed to respect down the field. We gave the OU receivers too much respect. Maybe PK got confused and switched gameplans. But sure, I’d love to see a little more aggression but we did blitz quite a bit today.

Our primary issue continues to be covering the middle of the field against slot receivers which has nothing to do with how far off a DB is playing. Our LB and safety coverage continues to be crap and it’s just a continuation from last year. Hill basically permanently replaced Gbenda halfway through the game because Gbenda was getting abused.

It appeared the LBs were over-correcting from the OU game. There were several plays both LBs were yards off the LOS staring the QB down. 1 might have been a spy, but not both. Safety play is just a problem. There is a lack athleticism there. Crawford is fast, but just doesn’t have the instincts. I want to see more Williams, but he plays behind Catalon. It would be nice to see some potential at FS.. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Correct. He probably should be a safety though.

Yep. That is what is crazy. We are 3 or 4 deep at NB, but have a shitty safety room outside of Catalon and Williams. And we don't even play a NB in some of our packages.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

It's absolutely comical people want to compare this team to 05, 08, 09 when the pass defense isn't even top 75. Other than Barron, and maybe a healthy Catalon, would any DB on this team start for any of those teams? Damn what would we give for a safety that could fly across the field and make an interception on Whienert so great it has to be reviewed multiple times to confirm, or a safety that could lock down one side of the field like Earl Thomas.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

for as long as Burke's arms are he sure doesn't use them much

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep. That is what is crazy. We are 3 or 4 deep at NB, but have a shitty safety room outside of Catalon and Williams. And we don't even play a NB in some of our packages.

Against big personnel yeah the nickel comes off the field. But we didn’t have to worry about that against OU or UH because they never went two TE’s.