2022 House Elections

Pancho

1 minute ago, Voldemort86 said:

I don’t blame Biden for it personally, but my situational awareness is better than your average person, but most voters are blaming the high gas prices, high grocery / food prices, and supply chain issues on president Biden. I think these problems would be just as bad or most likely even worse if president Trump was still in office and for some reason I doubt he would be blamed for the same shit. 

These issues are worldwide, and also, gas prices are not that high. They are high compared to 2020, but low compared to 2008, 2012, 2013 and the first 3 quarters of 2014.  

CNN hitting on some smart insights:

- White swing voters are susceptible to potent, social issues

- Dems cannot consistently court black voters

- The culture is moving very quickly; white voters have anxiety about a changing America that is blacker and browner and people who didn't always have a say now have a say.

• Fuck You 1

Is there demographics data for off year voters? A quick Google search didn't bring up anything. I always assumed it was mostly Republicans that showed up for this shit given how many local offices they hold.  This is the first time I voted in one of these actually and everybody there besides me and a pollworker were over 70, white, and mostly unmasked. I'm not sure if that was just because of the time of day. I live in a blue Philly suburb. 

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not just whites. TM allegedly only won black. Others 88/12. That’s recipe for Dems losing elections. 

If they keep trotting out lame ass shitheads then yes they will lose elections.

I'm not sure how the R's get away with trotting out lame ass shitheads, but here we are.

If they keep trotting out lame ass shitheads then yes they will lose elections.
I'm not sure how the R's get away with trotting out lame ass shitheads, but here we are.

Hate and fear drive voting more than anything.

I watch zero news and do not get any GOP emails while I do get Dem emails. Even I know what the off year GOP hates and fears and what galvanizes them. I honestly don’t know anything that the off year Dem candidates are for. Was there a coherent platform?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

CNN hitting on some smart insights:

- The culture is moving very quickly; white voters have anxiety about a changing America that is blacker and browner and people who didn't always have a say now have a say.

White people are embarrassing.  And way too many are dumb as fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wimberley is officially dead.  They had three school board seats open.  They ended up with three anti-gay anti-CRT lunatics (one of whom publicly said that Trump is still the president) running against three normal people.  Guess who won all three races?

• Rage+1 2

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Wimberley is officially dead.  They had three school board seats open.  They ended up with three anti-gay anti-CRT lunatics (one of whom publicly said that Trump is still the president) running against three normal people.  Guess who won all three races?

Donald Trump GIF by CBS News

Me thinks that the taxpayers of Wimberley will be paying out a lot of money in future lawsuits.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Me thinks that the taxpayers of Wimberley will be paying out a lot of money in future lawsuits.

Already have-- They spent $100K for lawyers on this:

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/aclu-files-grievance-against-wimberley-isd-over-lgbtq-logo-dispute

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GopherRock said:

So much for Ohio being a potential relief valve. 

Man…. I don’t know how we could possibly go from an extremely low 4 democrats in that state to maybe just 2?

democrats still get about 43-44% of the vote statewide in Ohio. That is ridiculous.

More bad news :

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/2021/11/see-2021-election-results-for-new-york-state-propositions.html

ballot initiatives to make voting easier and make the redistricting process easier in New York were defeated last night. In New York, really?

being a democrat can be painful sometimes. I thought those initiatives would pass easily in a deep blue state.

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

More bad news :

https://www.syracuse.com/politics/2021/11/see-2021-election-results-for-new-york-state-propositions.html

ballot initiatives to make voting easier and make the redistricting process easier in New York were defeated last night. In New York, really?

being a democrat can be painful sometimes. I thought those initiatives would pass easily in a deep blue state.

Yeah, that honestly doesn't make any fucking sense.  I could understand the first one failing.  It was kind of a lot to take in.  However, all the others should have passed. This makes me believe that a lot of people who were voting for mayor in NYC didn't bother there.  But also, remember, NY State (and these are state propositions) is not NYC, and it all depended on what races were going on.  Those vote totals, 2.5M or so out of a state with 18-19M people?  Woof.

Carville knocks it out of the park: It's the wokeness, stupid:

James Carville blames 'stupid wokeness' for Dems' weak showing (nypost.com)

The Economist, in it's analysis, said that "ordinary voters are alienated by the narrow obsessions and preening presumptions of the Democrats' left fringe."

Yup. As long as Republicans are able to make AOC and Ilhan Omar the faces of the Democrat party, the Democrats are going to lose.

40 percent of Americans will vote Republican no matter what. 40% will vote Democrat no matter what. The question is how to woo the 20% that elections hinge on. 

My sister, who has a high school education, mentioned CRT in a text to me the other day. Mind you, she had never heard of CRT before about 6 months ago. Now it's a thing for her. Republicans are great at inventing bogeyman (flag burning. gay marriage etc..) and foisting them on Democrats. 

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Carville knocks it out of the park: It's the wokeness, stupid:

James Carville blames 'stupid wokeness' for Dems' weak showing (nypost.com)

The Economist, in it's analysis, said that "ordinary voters are alienated by the narrow obsessions and preening presumptions of the Democrats' left fringe."

Yup. As long as Republicans are able to make AOC and Ilhan Omar the faces of the Democrat party, the Democrats are going to lose.

40 percent of Americans will vote Republican no matter what. 40% will vote Democrat no matter what. The question is how to woo the 20% that elections hinge on. 

My sister, who has a high school education, mentioned CRT in a text to me the other day. Mind you, she had never heard of CRT before about 6 months ago. Now it's a thing for her. Republicans are great at inventing bogeyman (flag burning. gay marriage etc..) and foisting them on Democrats. 

Yeah.  All of this from an analysis of the body politic.

CRT in my opinion isn't really a specific thing anyone has in mind- it's a catch all shorthand for the smarmy we know better than you about what to do with your child or if you wear a mask or have to have a shot to go to work or go to a restaurant, regardless of if you've had the Rona or not (I'm vaccinated and think every adult ought to be- this is analysis not personal belief or opinion or how I live my life) plus a disagreement against whatever the leftist twitter hive/mind is up to at any particular time.  And that's real and exists.  And people on here try to claim it doesn't. But guys like Carville keep saying the same thing, and guys like Dave Chappelle keep taking flack, and guys like Bill Maher lead their shows with it.  It's a thing. And the vast majority of the country hates it and hates anyone associated with it.  

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

CRT in my opinion isn't really a specific thing anyone has in mind- it's a catch all shorthand for the smarmy we know better than you about what to do with your child or if you wear a mask or have to have a shot to go to work or go to a restaurant, regardless of if you've had the Rona or not (I'm vaccinated and think every adult ought to be- this is analysis not personal belief or opinion or how I live my life) plus a disagreement against whatever the leftist twitter hive/mind is up to at any particular time.  And that's real and exists.  And people on here try to claim it doesn't. But guys like Carville keep saying the same thing, and guys like Dave Chappelle keep taking flack, and guys like Bill Maher lead their shows with it.  It's a thing. And the vast majority of the country hates it and hates anyone associated with it.  

CRT, as we’re hearing about it today, is a new wedge issue created by Republicans to energize voters (since they don’t win on any other issues). In the wake of the George Floyd protests, heightened awareness of racial inequality in this country, and how we should strive to be more equitable for everyone, white conservatives don’t want any racial issues talked about (because they’re against that equity). So, they’ve framed any racial discussion as "wokeism" and telling white kids that they are inherently evil, and also that those racial discussions are “CRT”. That gets parents up in arms and they now want “CRT banned” and to "defeat wokeism". Christopher Rufo (the star of the CRT thread that PHLaggy started) has even out and said it!

image.png.16cb63533c9f53697ea0ae83946639e0.png

Even further, they’ve turned this into a “parents rights” issue, and what they want their kids learning in school. Ignoring that parents probably shouldn’t have as a say in academic curriculum because then dictating what kids learn results in textbooks saying things like African slaves were “immigrant workers” or that the Civil War was about “states rights”; it makes it seem like parents are getting ignored when they complain about CRT being taught to their 5 year old because dems tell them that its just made up nonsense. People are going to vote for Republicans when your perception has become their reality and they want “CRT banned” while the dems are telling you this isn’t an actual issue.

All the while, conservative apologists will continue to harp on any social movement or discord that threatens the status quo. And all they have to do to get an under-informed army backing them is say "CRT".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

CRT, as we’re hearing about it today, is a new wedge issue created by Republicans to energize voters (since they don’t win on any other issues). In the wake of the George Floyd protests, heightened awareness of racial inequality in this country, and how we should strive to be more equitable for everyone, white conservatives don’t want any racial issues talked about (because they’re against that equity). So, they’ve framed any racial discussion as "wokeism" and telling white kids that they are inherently evil, and also that those racial discussions are “CRT”. That gets parents up in arms and they now want “CRT banned” and to "defeat wokeism". Christopher Rufo (the star of the CRT thread that PHLaggy started) has even out and said it!

Even further, they’ve turned this into a “parents rights” issue, and what they want their kids learning in school. Ignoring that parents probably shouldn’t have as a say in academic curriculum because then dictating what kids learn results in textbooks saying things like African slaves were “immigrant workers” or that the Civil War was about “states rights”; it makes it seem like parents are getting ignored when they complain about CRT being taught to their 5 year old because dems tell them that its just made up nonsense. People are going to vote for Republicans when your perception has become their reality and they want “CRT banned” while the dems are telling you this isn’t an actual issue.

All the while, conservative apologists will continue to harp on any social movement or discord that threatens the status quo. And all they have to do to get an under-informed army backing them is say "CRT".

Can't overstate it - the Democrats fucking suck at branding.  "Defund the police,"  CRT, etc. - every time they coin a new phrase they end up shooting themselves in the dick. 

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

That's certainly an opinion.  Maybe you should have Horn Under a bad Sign text that to his sister. I'm sure it would change her mind and get her to vote how you want her to.

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

That's certainly an opinion.  Maybe you should have Horn Under a bad Sign text that to his sister. I'm sure it would change her mind and get her to vote how you want her to.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind posting that - it's tough to break through participatory propaganda, and frankly I'm not the person to do so. It's like trying to convince people that the sky is blue while they're wearing blublocker sunglasses. They have a completely different view of reality that they choose not to challenge and think critically about.

I just think it's worth pointing out that the opposition to "wokeism" and "CRT" isn't fueled by earnest opposition, but incited by people dishonestly and inaccurately representing the opposition. 

To your point - the dems nominated the least woke person possible for the VA governor's seat, and got killed for it. Had they nominated someone that wasn't a dusty old white man, the same folks they tried to court with McAullife would refuse to vote dem because the candidate would be "too woke".

Can't overstate it - the Democrats fucking suck at branding.  "Defund the police,"  CRT, etc. - every time they coin a new phrase they end up shooting themselves in the dick. 

“The Democrats” have not once messaged on “defund the police” or CRT.

Congratulations - you’ve fallen for GQP misinformation and propaganda.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

CRT isn’t a “brand.”  It’s a theory in higher education.

Democrats didn’t bring it up—one radical republican found it and warped the theory to mean “anything diverse” and radical republicans have been gaslit into believing anything and everything dealing with diversity is CRT….which is 100% incorrect and shows their stupidity. 

With that said, Democrats haven’t done a very good job of explaining what CRT is and that it is not now, nor has it ever, been taught in K-12.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Democrats didn’t bring it up—one radical republican found it and warped the theory to mean “anything diverse” and radical republicans have been gaslit into believing anything and everything dealing with diversity is CRT….which is 100% incorrect and shows their stupidity. 

With that said, Democrats haven’t done a very good job of explaining what CRT is and that it is not now, nor has it ever, been taught in K-12.

This isn’t one Republican, this has been researched by Koch backed movements and found a sticking point, this isn’t just one Republican doing it. They coordinate their efforts 

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/charles-koch-crt-backlash/

http://www.unkochmycampus.org/crt-report
I know the source above seems shitty but their analysis. It’s always the dark money funding this 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Maybe branding wasn't the right term - it's more about messaging, and their inability to get out ahead of the GOP when they see them distorting positions (especially when it's a position of just a subset of their base).  Granted, the GQP throws so much shit at the wall, it's difficult to figure out what is actually going to stick, and being too reactionary could make them look like Abbott chasing down every Huffines tweet.  Still, it's not that hard to sense when the GQP propaganda machine is getting spun up.  Unfortunately, the Dems just can't compete when it comes to messaging discipline.

So the Dems get blowback because of their fringe who want acceptance of inequality and equal rights but Republicans don't feel any repercussions from theirs, despite theirs basically staging a violent coup last January, trying to kidnap a sitting governor, and drowning in conspiracy and misinformation, among other things?

Ok

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 4

52 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

So the Dems get blowback because of their fringe who want acceptance of inequality and equal rights but Republicans don't feel any repercussions from theirs, despite theirs basically staging a violent coup last January, trying to kidnap a sitting governor, and drowning in conspiracy and misinformation, among other things?

Ok

The R propaganda machine does an amazing job.

They just shift the message to see dems aren’t doing anything and focus all on Dems. Ppl complain dems don’t do much and just go, of course the rs haven’t done shit but let’s focus on Dems.

Dems are held to a higher standard.

Dems don’t have to balls to call out the Rs. They get called libtards, snowflakes, commies etc and just take it. Pathetic 

1 hour ago, Gengs1 said:

This isn’t one Republican, this has been researched by Koch backed movements and found a sticking point, this isn’t just one Republican doing it. They coordinate their efforts

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/charles-koch-crt-backlash/

http://www.unkochmycampus.org/crt-report
I know the source above seems shitty but their analysis. It’s always the dark money funding this 

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

Maybe branding wasn't the right term - it's more about messaging, and their inability to get out ahead of the GOP when they see them distorting positions (especially when it's a position of just a subset of their base).  Granted, the GQP throws so much shit at the wall, it's difficult to figure out what is actually going to stick, and being too reactionary could make them look like Abbott chasing down every Huffines tweet.  Still, it's not that hard to sense when the GQP propaganda machine is getting spun up.  Unfortunately, the Dems just can't compete when it comes to messaging discipline.

24 minutes ago, Gengs1 said:

The R propaganda machine does an amazing job.

They just shift the message to see dems aren’t doing anything and focus all on Dems. Ppl complain dems don’t do much and just go, of course the rs haven’t done shit but let’s focus on Dems.

Dems are held to a higher standard.

Dems don’t have to balls to call out the Rs. They get called libtards, snowflakes, commies etc and just take it. Pathetic 

The Rs have an amazing machine - call it propaganda, call it whatever you want, but they have a definite machine for distributing talking points - it gets pushed through Fox News, across social media (twitter and Facebook in particular) and a shit-ton of Republican politicians in the House and Senate.

There have been other talking points that are deliberately spread in parallel across multiple platforms with a multitude of messengers (Tucker, Sean, Senators, Representatives, bloggers, etc.) in the same manner as the current topic - CRT.

I've been very impressed, even if I'm pissy about it, at how well the GOP is able to take a single topic and rapidly spread it in a very coordinated manner, so that all of the sudden everybody is talking about.

Your typical GQP on the street is all of the sudden having to pretend to care, because he's hearing about it through all of the media he consumes (from Tucker to politicians to bloggers and FNC in general) and he'll look stupid if he has to stop and form an actual opinion on it.  Every older Republican in my family that I've challenged on the whole CRT thing can't define it other than "it teaches that white people are evil".  That's it.

And mind you, it's not viral in any way, shape, or form.  Using our current topic of CRT, it did not become popular because Tucker Carlson one night decided to talk about it.  By the time he was talking about it, it was being disseminated across all of the right-wing/GQP/etc. media outlets, talking heads, bloggers, and politicians, and Tucker was simply polishing the idea for his crowd.

The Democrats don't do this at all.  One talking head on CNN is bitching about one thing, and the talking head that follows him or her in the next hour is talking about something else, and the people on MSNBC are in their own world, and people in Congress like AOC are talking about something else entirely different.

But Republicans....when an "order" is issued to all channels/FNC/talking heads/politicians, those motherfuckers roll up their sleeves, get to work, and they spread that shit around like nobody's business.  They've got themselves a helluva machine, and I don't think it's just the Koch money driving it either.

That's also why it's laughable when they pretend to be afraid of Soros.  Soros isn't doing a fraction of what these guys are doing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/18/2021 at 10:50 AM, Js1 said:

Couple of moves:

• Dem Lloyd Doggett (TX-35) is going to switch over to the new TX-37 (very very safe Dem), opening up a new majority-Hispanic Dem district.  Wendy could make a run in TX-37, as could state rep Gina Hinojosa.   Personally, my preference is Hinojosa since it's a majority Hispanic district and would be better to have a Hispanic Dem representing them. 
On 10/19/2021 at 11:33 AM, Js1 said:

So with Doggett moving to TX-35, I think Wendy Davis is locked out of Congress for 2022.  She may just wait for Lloyd to retire (he's 75).  Julie Oliver teased a potential primary run in TX-35.

Greg Casar lists Wendy Davis, DA Jose Garza, Mayor Steve Adler and Austin City Council members Ann Kitchen, Vanessa Fuentes, Paige Ellis, Pio Renteria and Natasha Harper-Madison as endorsers for his exploratory bid for TX-37.   Trey Martinez Fishcher and Eddie Rodriguez are all also exploring bids in TX-37.  I think it's Casar's to lose. 

Casar going for TX-35

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/11/04/greg-casar-leave-austin-city-council-run-congress/6280950001/

Casar's City Council term, his third, will expire in January 2025, and a special election will be called to fill the remaining time. Casar said he will continue serving his north-central Austin district until his successor is inaugurated next year.

14 hours ago, Gap03 said:

You’re correct on messaging and communication:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

The Rs have an amazing machine - call it propaganda, call it whatever you want, but they have a definite machine for distributing talking points - it gets pushed through Fox News, across social media (twitter and Facebook in particular) and a shit-ton of Republican politicians in the House and Senate.

There have been other talking points that are deliberately spread in parallel across multiple platforms with a multitude of messengers (Tucker, Sean, Senators, Representatives, bloggers, etc.) in the same manner as the current topic - CRT.

I've been very impressed, even if I'm pissy about it, at how well the GOP is able to take a single topic and rapidly spread it in a very coordinated manner, so that all of the sudden everybody is talking about.

Your typical GQP on the street is all of the sudden having to pretend to care, because he's hearing about it through all of the media he consumes (from Tucker to politicians to bloggers and FNC in general) and he'll look stupid if he has to stop and form an actual opinion on it.  Every older Republican in my family that I've challenged on the whole CRT thing can't define it other than "it teaches that white people are evil".  That's it.

And mind you, it's not viral in any way, shape, or form.  Using our current topic of CRT, it did not become popular because Tucker Carlson one night decided to talk about it.  By the time he was talking about it, it was being disseminated across all of the right-wing/GQP/etc. media outlets, talking heads, bloggers, and politicians, and Tucker was simply polishing the idea for his crowd.

The Democrats don't do this at all.  One talking head on CNN is bitching about one thing, and the talking head that follows him or her in the next hour is talking about something else, and the people on MSNBC are in their own world, and people in Congress like AOC are talking about something else entirely different.

But Republicans....when an "order" is issued to all channels/FNC/talking heads/politicians, those motherfuckers roll up their sleeves, get to work, and they spread that shit around like nobody's business.  They've got themselves a helluva machine, and I don't think it's just the Koch money driving it either.

That's also why it's laughable when they pretend to be afraid of Soros.  Soros isn't doing a fraction of what these guys are doing.

Brandolini's law, also known as the bullshit asymmetry principle, is an internet adage that emphasizes the difficulty of debunking false, facetious, or otherwise misleading information:[1] "The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is needed to produce it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Brandolini's law, also known as the bullshit asymmetry principle, is an internet adage that emphasizes the difficulty of debunking false, facetious, or otherwise misleading information:[1] "The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is needed to produce it.

Because ~40% of this country is stupid as fuck.

7 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I agree with that, but I'm pointing out that the Republicans have a machine that pumps this stuff out across all of the channels all at once.  Tucker is not getting his talking points from some random blogger and Ted Cruz doesn't make his snarky comments because he saw a meme somewhere.

Yes. It sucked. But, the Woodcreek election turned out well. Lots of young families with kids moving in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 4:29 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

It's a backlash against general wokeness from white libs -- and much is coming from Hispanics who don't go for that shit.  And the media pushing racism, white supremacy, and all the other terms.

spacer.png

While interesting, I don't think those graphs show what you think they show, Sack.

IOW, similar graphs of Fox News would show the same trends, I imagine. Or from any media, whatever its slant. I bet your use of those words has increased over the decades as well. Are you pushing racism, and white supremacy and other terms also?

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

It's a backlash against general wokeness from white libs -- and much is coming from Hispanics who don't go for that shit.  And the media pushing racism, white supremacy, and all the other terms.

spacer.png

It’s actually a backlash against black people. Same as it always was. Hispanics are just taking their turn in the line.

You ever try a case with a black plaintiff and an all Hispanic jury?  Doesn’t usually go so well.

Guys like you have always supported the inevitable backlash against blacks because it ultimately helps to serve your own selfish economic interests. So good for you. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

It’s actually a backlash against black people. Same as it always was. Hispanics are just taking their turn in the line.

You ever try a case with a black plaintiff and an all Hispanic jury?  Doesn’t usually go so well.

Guys like you have always supported the inevitable backlash against blacks because it ultimately helps to serve your own selfish economic interests. So good for you. 

The only group I dislike are the woke white left.  But pretty much everyone hates them.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

The only group I dislike are the woke white left.  But pretty much everyone hates them.

You also dislike black people because they overwhelmingly vote Democratic which you believe affects your bottom line. You dislike the white people who support them even more though because you consider them race traitors because they also vote Democratic.

You should be smart enough to see that obvious fact but you are willfully blind because otherwise that would force you to look in the mirror and see what you really are. 

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

You also dislike black people because they overwhelmingly vote Democratic which you believe affects your bottom line. You dislike the white people who support them even more though because you consider them race traitors because they also vote Democratic.

You should be smart enough to see that obvious fact but you are willfully blind because otherwise that would force you to look in the mirror and see what you really are. 

You don't get to tell me who I like or dislike.  The only group I dislike -- and I cannot stand them -- are woke white lefties.