Curb Your Enthusiasm: Best scenes, scenarios

Gil Bang

It's certainly in the debate.  My Mount Rushmore of comedies is Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Veep, and Arrested Development.  With an honorable mention to "Cheers", by far my favorite show growing up, but it just doesn't hold up as well as I had hoped.   

As stated above, they introduce just the right amount of new characters each season.  Most of them gel brilliantly with the ad-lib nature of the show, that's not easy to do.  Marty Funkhauser (RIP), Jon Hamm, and Leon all come to mind.  I love that some huge name celebrities play themselves, while still others are brought on to play fictional tertiary characters...people just love to be on that set.  There are also some extremely funny people in real life that just weren't funny on the show (even though they were intended to be), because they just couldn't get the rhythm down.  

That Curb is just as funny today as it was when it debuted 20+ years ago really blows me away.  And I love that over-arching season plots are more and more ridiculous but somehow still so relatable.  Older seasons had arcs that were relatable to a guy like Larry, creating a new show, buying into a restaurant with other celebrities, a broadway musical, etc.  and now it's Iranian Fatwas and spite stores, it's beyond the sublime.  '

Anybody know when Season 12 premieres?  Nothing easily visible online. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/11/2022 at 12:16 PM, Dutchrudder said:

Most comedies lose a lot of their humor after 4-8 seasons, but this show just keeps keeping on. The writing is top notch, and they do a great job introducing new characters every season. Season 10 with the spite store coffee shop is one of my favorite seasons of the show. I liked it so much I even bought a Latte Larry's coffee mug complete with a "No Defecating" sign on it. 

Been watching a lot of Seinfeld episodes lately, as it's on so often.  Noticed a definite drop off in writing quality after Larry left.

Also, i've realized more how brilliant the Kramer and George actors were, and not far behind Elaine.

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

funniest sitcom ever, come at me 

Agreed. I didn't even have to think twice to rank it #1 for me.  It's everyday life awkward shit that can happen to anyone, with a little more spice than Seinfeld.  We quote it a lot at the house, latest is when someone plops on a couch.

My wife has only seen the last 4 seasons, but I have showed her some of the classics from early seasons. Now sometimes before going to bed she is like "put on that episode___ of Curb".  Anything is better than her requesting Everybody Loves Raymond reruns lol.

On 10/18/2022 at 9:08 AM, utxmike05 said:

Agreed. I didn't even have to think twice to rank it #1 for me.  It's everyday life awkward shit that can happen to anyone, with a little more spice than Seinfeld.  We quote it a lot at the house, latest is when someone plops on a couch.

My wife has only seen the last 4 seasons, but I have showed her some of the classics from early seasons. Now sometimes before going to bed she is like "put on that episode___ of Curb".  Anything is better than her requesting Everybody Loves Raymond reruns lol.

ive never watched one full episode, it just doesnt seem like a funny show 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

It's miserable.  She has some weird nostalgic connection to it... it's a running joke in the house.  Even the dog sits on the remote to change it. Dog does plop also.

What are they going to say ? 
We apologize for calling her a cunt 

This was the ultimate episode. Larry uses his talent to do a good deed for Cheryl’s family and is terribly punished for it. That’s the premise of the early seasons that made it such a gem.

The later seasons I’m not a fan of. I think the show really lost a lot when he and Cheryl divorced. Cheryl Hines was such a perfect foil to Larry’s riffing and a great improv actress. Without her he’s just a bitter old man.

Still it’s there with my favorites which I don’t rank. With Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Frasier, All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, Andy Griffith, it’s a long list.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/19/2022 at 11:10 AM, tx 3 putt said:

E91F459F-B975-492E-92F1-925AE9C73F07.gif

On 10/19/2022 at 11:10 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Anything is better than her requesting Everybody Loves Raymond reruns lol.

Oops. Never mind. 

Leaving the Derka gif though because it makes me laugh. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...

The two best lines in that whole hilarious exchange were,

”did you see our show?  It was called the Holocaust!”

and the young guy kinda mumbles this one during the back and forth tirades so you have to listen closely when he gets a last dig with “we certainly didn’t have any snacks…”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Curb has to be my top sitcom of all time. Then a notch down, Get Smart and Leslie Nielsen's short-lived Police Academy, followed by All in the Family, Seinfeld, and others.

I grew up in LA with a dad (now deceased) who was in the music and entertainment biz and watching Curb is, for me, like watching him with the group of friends he had while I was growing up, except their bank accounts were a fraction of the size of LD's.

• 2 months later...

Started rewatching from season 1 this week-

1.  I finally get the Gil Bang reference.  I had not put that together.

2.  Larry was 52 or so in the first season, where, to me at least,  he looks about 65.  Guy must have been born looking like an old man.

• Hook 'Em 1

the best moment, IMO.   

The height of the show was that season. Here’s Larry and basically “no good deed goes unpunished” was the heart of each episode. He wasn’t the bitter guy of recent years. I thought the worst move the show made was divorcing Cheryl. She was a perfect foil to him and their timing and improvisational interplay was impeccable.

I’m not a fan of Jb Smoove. And I wonder if Garlin will return after his issues and what happens to Suzy.

3 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

The height of the show was that season. Here’s Larry and basically “no good deed goes unpunished” was the heart of each episode. He wasn’t the bitter guy of recent years. I thought the worst move the show made was divorcing Cheryl. She was a perfect foil to him and their timing and improvisational interplay was impeccable.

I’m not a fan of Jb Smoove. And I wonder if Garlin will return after his issues and what happens to Suzy.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47etnmp7eh9937m5tu6i\

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

He got fired from his sitcom The Goldberg’s. Slimeball. I doubt he makes a return to CYE. Will Suzy be shown as a widow or divorcee or will Jeff be referred to as visiting a kibbutz or on vacation?

He’s replaceable 

Yeah, in the last few weeks I learned that Cheryl was married to a fucking sociopathic nut job; not named Larry. that apparently Jeff Garlin is a serial sexual predator.  And Curb once exonerated an innocent man from a falsely accused murder trial.  

also (checks ear piece), I’m being told by my producer that Larry David was once in the producers