Random thoughts that don't warrant a thread

GSU&UT

Unless you really tracked Dolly Parton's philanthropy in the days of print media, it really wasn't until her Covid donations that most of America realized what a national treasure Dolly Parton is.  She has done so much for so many decades and never, ever sought any attention for it.  I mean every celebrity I know that says, "Oh, I'm not doing it for the awards or the media buzz or tax benefits, I'm doing it because I care."  But she has quietly, for many decades, changed the lives of tens of thousands of young people and never once broadcasted it.  In between she wrote some great songs.  And all along, TITS.  

No lie, when Dolly dies I will cry. She’s a treasure.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I'll cry too.  I mean, I'll jerk off to some old photos of her.  But also, tears.  And tissues for all the above.  

Wait, what the fuck were we talking about again?  

19 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

When my wife and I started dating (2015), I went to her apartment one night and she was paying her bills by calling each place one at a time and staying on hold for like 30 minutes each time.

When I met my ex-wife (1999), she didn't have a bank account. She would go buy money orders to pay all of her bills. Why I didn't acknowledge this red flag and walk away shall ever remain a mystery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw a documentary a few years ago about the "Wind Phone". Just a simple telephone booth with a disconnected telephone. It became a place for people to call their lost loved one.

I couldn't find the entire documentary, but here's a short clip.

I haven't lost anyone significant in my life, but every time I see this clip, I fucking choke up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_phone

In 2010, Itaru Sasaki, a garden designer from Ōtsuchi, learned that his cousin had terminal cancer with three months to live. After his cousin's death, Sasaki set up an old telephone booth in his garden in December 2010, to continue to feel connected to him by "talking" to him on the phone. According to Sasaki, the wind phone was not designed with any specific religious connotation, but rather as a way to reflect on his loss. In an interview, he stated, "Because my thoughts couldn't be relayed over a regular phone line, I wanted them to be carried on the wind."

The 2011 Tōhoku earthquake resulted in the deaths of at least 19,759 people most especially in tsunamis in the Tōhoku region, including over 1,200 people in Ōtsuchi (about 10 percent of the town's population). Sasaki subsequently opened the wind phone to the public to allow visitors to call their friends and family who had died in the disaster. It has since been visited by over 30,000 people.

• Like 1

True story about Dolly Parton: 
I think it was 1975, and she had just gone solo as an artist after being with Porter Wagoner. She had a concert scheduled for the Heart O' Texas Colosseum in Waco. It seated several thousand people, but only about sixteen people, including me, showed up. 
We were all gathered around the stage, and I heard her talking to her road manager. He was telling her to just refund the ticket money and they could pack up and go to the next town. She told him these people paid for a concert, to give the band the night off, leave one guy for security, and she'd take care of it.
She got a bar stool and her acoustic guitar, gathered us around in a circle, and did a 1 1/2 hour concert (no microphone, she was close enough we could all hear her perfectly,) then signed autographs for all of us. It was the best concert I ever attended. 
Couple of notes: in person, she sounded just like on the records. She can REALLY sing and she can REALLY play guitar. 

That…is fucking awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

What rock or band T shirts are ubiquitous in that it's not uncommon to see someone wearing one in public, yet you cannot name one of their songs?

I'll start.

korn
Tool
Phish
Insane clown posse

I think a large amount of Tool fans are fucking dweebs but grouping them with these four is rather disrespectful. They've put out some great music. 

A tool fan would know how to count to 3
  • Haha 4

On 5/14/2024 at 8:02 PM, BearSchlong said:

What rock or band T shirts are ubiquitous in that it's not uncommon to see someone wearing one in public, yet you cannot name one of their songs?

I'll start.

korn
Tool
Phish
Insane clown posse

on UT campus... Pat Green.

Went to neighborhood pool yesterday.  This tiny ass dude came in wearing those Kenny power sunglasses.   He stood there pretty much the whole time with hands on hips staring at everyone in the pool.  I think he was trying to show off what was a shitty ass body.  

12 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

He's read viscount hundreds of times?

I discount that.

Hey, some of us really love Jane Austin books!  In a manly way of course.

I just cut a couple branches last week myself.

I know it should be done when their dormant, or semi, but I wasn’t getting smacked in the face while mowing for the rest of the season.

But yes, in general, not a bright idea.

If you do, beat have some sealer to help it out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

I just cut a couple branches last week myself.

I know it should be done when their dormant, or semi, but I wasn’t getting smacked in the face while mowing for the rest of the season.

But yes, in general, not a bright idea.

If you do, beat have some sealer to help it out. 

Yeah, if something is hitting the house or half cracked and dangling down (that's what she said)...I'm all for cutting and painting.  But I'm talking dozens of limbs at a time and no painting in June 'cause the crew is paid to prune and not paint.    And these neighbors think it's a good idea because they're getting a cheap deal, which is only because these arbor crews don't have much work in June.  

I still call out City of Austin or a pro crew to get the really high shit near the lines because I'm just too old to get up there now.  But for most regular maintenance, I still do it myself because I know the cuts and I paint correctly.  I'm not gonna be hosting a TV show on DIY lawncare, but I know what I'm doing and I need the manual labor exercise.  But some crew puts a door hanger on at my neighbor's for "50% off in June", next thing I know...I gotta a buncha dipshits.  Hardworking, but dipshits.  Just violating oak after oak with no concept of how Oak Wilt spreads.  /rant 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sprinting is a great olympic competition because its such a basic, primal, human locomotion. Like, just run fucking fast. 

But hurdling and steeplechase seems so retarded. Hey, you still have to run, but now you must also hop over wooden barriers and stupid puddles placed at precisely even intervals too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/22/2024 at 10:18 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

i just got an office-wide email saying that if anyone wants a bag of compost, they've got 'em handy up front.

Had to be upper management. 

• Haha 1

I took the boy cabin camping over the weekend the dad/son program. The program is not associated with any religion. The event just happened to be at a Christian campground  

We got in line for lunch, staying in the shade next to the building. A group of about 20 girls walk past us and tried to get in because their “counselor” told them it was okay cut in front of us. An argument ensued and the counselor went full Karen. In the end, the girls went to the back of the line. Along the way, the counselor asked what happened to ladies first, and we should be ashamed because “this is a Christian campground.”

For dinner, we once again lined up against the building, but one of the dads pushes a table in front of the door and called it the “Karen check-in table”. Guffaws all around.

Then one of the girls stomps over and yells “Just so you motherfuckers know, we can hear you from back there!” She got booed and we called out to the counselor “hey, this is a Christian campground! What are you teaching the girls?”

Karen did not come over. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

In Mexico, Tulum to be specific, for a getaway before the kids start their summer camps.

From the airport to the hotel, we went through several checkpoints with machine guns toting officers from the federal police, national guard and even marines. Not sure if it’s presidential election jitters, but that made the hour drive a little nervewracking. 

27 minutes ago, Superhero said:

For dinner, we once again lined up against the building, but one of the dads pushes a table in front of the door and called it the “Karen check-in table”. Guffaws all around.

Karen Check-in table?  Thanks for the nightmare fuel dude.  

"Check in?  Don't you know who I am.  I'm Karen.  I'd like to speak the manager!"

-Well you can't do that until you check-in at this table.

"You're violating my 1st amendment rights!"  

On 6/4/2024 at 12:07 AM, YGIFS said:

Karen Check-in table?  Thanks for the nightmare fuel dude.  

"Check in?  Don't you know who I am.  I'm Karen.  I'd like to speak the manager!"

-Well you can't do that until you check-in at this table.

"You're violating my 1st amendment rights!"  and Title IX.

Fify

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Is Jake Paul the biggest loser in all sports?

Probably not I guess since he’s not really involved in sports but still.

You’re not paying attention. I can’t stand influencers either but he’s changing boxing. The highest receipt fights are JP fights. The game is ridiculous anyway with the way it’s controlled by the major organizations and players. He’s majorly disruptive to that.

The Tyson “fight” has nothing to do with pure boxing skill or power. Tyson loves JP and how he’s drawing eyeballs. This fight is all about the receipts. Anyone hoping that Tyson’s gonna kill JP doesn’t understand what this is about. He loves what JP is doing and I’m quite sure thinks JP and this fight are the way to significantly increase the non-traditional fight audience. 

Edited by nnm

always thought how dumb the idea of automotive tire dressing product is.  here you have a fucking chemical you spray on the damn rubber of your car -- the wear object spinning and making contact with the literal ground -- so that it can look...wet and shiny?

but anyway i just noticed that even after a nice car wash my sidewalls look brown and manky so yeah.. gonna spend money on a bottle of tire dressing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was in the shower and just wondering, isnt it weird that so many presidents are named after airports?

But srsly though, why dont any of them ever sell named sponsorships? Like Houston Hobby could be Houston-Cisco airport. The station code would still be HOU. The primary name which most refer to is still geographic. But its a shitload of potential income. 

Half tradition and half phobia.  There are some smaller regional airports and private air strips named for corporate brands.  But nearly every single major commercial airport is named for a President, Senator, Judge, Celebrity, Musician, or other Public Figure.  Who all have one thing in common, they're already dead.  With very few exceptions, the vast majority of people for whom these airports are named aren't here.  It's a way to honor their legacy, obviously.  But the reason they don't solicit corporate partnerships/naming rights is because nobody associates an airport with any sort of positive experience.  Could even be associated with a crash.  Sure, your team might lose at AT&T Center or Minute Maid Park, but you still had fun-right?  Nobody takes an hour to get through TSA and sits on the tarmac for another hour and thinks, "Well, it was still a good time."  

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Was in the shower and just wondering, isnt it weird that so many presidents are named after airports?

But srsly though, why dont any of them ever sell named sponsorships? Like Houston Hobby could be Houston-Cisco airport. The station code would still be HOU. The primary name which most refer to is still geographic. But its a shitload of potential income. 

Pretty sure not many would want to fly out of Harrison Ford International. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Pretty sure not many would want to fly out of Harrison Ford International. 

csb/ I went with a couple buddies to the 2009 CWS and we had to connect on the way home through DEN.  And he was still fucked up from the night before and couldn't figure out the check-in kiosk deal (to be fair, those were still relatively new).  So he has to go up to the counter and we're waiting on his drunk ass.  And she's typing away, and can't find his reservation, and he mumbles, "I specifically booked from Omaha to Austin through John Denver airport."  I still don't know if he was joking or having some kinda synapse issue, but the woman at United was not amused.  

I wonder if there's a JFK, Jr. airport somewhere?  Quickly, to the darkweb!  

9 hours ago, YGIFS said:

But the reason they don't solicit corporate partnerships/naming rights is because...

...corporate naming rights change with the rise & fall of the company. 

Airports need a long lasting relationship so the name sticks around. 

"We fly our of Enron field @ 1030, land @ Silicon Valley Bank around 1330."

On 6/12/2024 at 10:24 PM, BearSchlong said:

Via MCI.

i've flown through there dozens of times and I never made the connection from mid-continent int'l to the defunct phone carrier.  

About 10 years ago, we had this dipshit exec. asst. that I let handle my travel bookings for a few months before I couldn't take it anynore.  She could come up the most creative ways to fuck them up.  She would just google the name of the airport and assume that's what would type in the field to book it under my already pre-filled airline profiles.  So I'd say, "Natalie, on Thursday...AUS to MCI."  And she's ping me back with "Looks like it's called KCI, for Kansas City Int't."  She did the same think with Newark Liberty once, told her to just book "AUS TO EWR" and she replies with "EWR" doesn't really seem like it has much to do with Liberty.  She would call me to the front because she didn't understand why my ORD instructions weren't 'CHI' or what the X in "LAX" stood for.  I finally had to tell her "the 3-letter code aren't the always the fucking first 3 letters of the city."  Took me a month to get approval for my own card so I book my own shit.  

I'll never forget how confused she was when she found out FLL-Hollywood airport wasn't in California.  

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 5/15/2024 at 6:47 AM, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Shockingly bad ass Medal of Honor citation I just came across.  It would be difficult to distinguish it from John Rambo's.

ash

https://mohmuseum.org/medal_of_honor/bennie-adkins/

https://www.cmohs.org/recipients/bennie-g-adkins

I went to the Medal of Honor museum at Ft. Benning when my kid was there.

No shit, I couldn't take it.  I had to walk out after 20 mins. or so.  I got too emotional. 

• Hook 'Em 1