Bourbon

Jimbaround

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah, I thought about it, I wouldn't do it unless I had a 4+ bottles of OFBB of the same year. And I might do a 70:30 OFBB to 1920 blend. 

I do think the OFBB proof could be pushed up some. 

Don't you think you might be taking this mixing a little to far. They are Master Distillers for reason.

4 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

Don't you think you might be taking this mixing a little to far. They are Master Distillers for reason.

You could say the same thing about people making Poor Man's Pappy. 

And... it would just be an interesting experiment. I have zero expectations going in. If it's good, it's good. If it's not, it's still pretty decent. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I pulled an old one off the shelf tonight.  willett.  had to blow the dust off of it.  I had just finished up a bottle of old humble, after taking a visit to their distillery (not impressive).  sipping this willett after that, makes it taste like pappy.  it has a much sweeter taste that I didn't remember, but it could be just a comparison to the glass of old humble I just had.

had never thought about it before but to the ones admiring iw harper for its decanter, the willett pot still bottle wouldn't make a terrible decanter.

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Found some OF 1920 on the shelf today.  Never had any of their bourbons.  They also had the OF BiB on the shelf.  Hope I made the right decision.  

I think I'm in the minority on this board, but I like the 1897 just a tad better than the 1920.  Both have a bit of a medicinal taste upfront for me, which prevents them from being among my favorites.  The 1920 does open up pretty well with an ice cube, though.

Picked up some Henry McKenna B-I-B today.  Didn't realize until recently that it's got the same mashbill as my beloved EWSB.  No wonder I dig it.

1 hour ago, thrillhammer said:

I pulled an old one off the shelf tonight.  willett.  had to blow the dust off of it.  I had just finished up a bottle of old humble, after taking a visit to their distillery (not impressive).  sipping this willett after that, makes it taste like pappy.  it has a much sweeter taste that I didn't remember, but it could be just a comparison to the glass of old humble I just had.

had never thought about it before but to the ones admiring iw harper for its decanter, the willett pot still bottle wouldn't make a terrible decanter.

Amazon has plenty of decanters shaped like a Willett Pot Still bottle. An astute observation. 

Yeah, I'll politely disagree with the 1920 is better than Birthday Bourbon. Birthday is superior, but a lot of people like 1920's higher poof. 
It would be insane to vat Birthday Bourbon, but a 60:40 OFBB to 1920 blend would be fascinating. 
@thestud or@huge probably have the reserves to give a try. 

I do prefer the higher proof generally, but I am willing to provide the impressions of my highly unrefined palate to rate ofbb against 1920 if we can rally up a vertical of ofbbb. Pm me for shipping details.

59 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Got bored earlier and reorganized the bar today and then decided it was a good day to enjoy some Gold.
33d8fe7f3746c97ab4c5ba1c1d93de74.jpg

9f4ac2838b014c7c32fa315ebcef6ea6.jpg

That Blanton’s setup is so great.  And after many tastings I’m convinced Gold is my favorite Blanton’s over Single Barrel and SFTB.  It’s an amazing value if you don’t get shanked on the shopping importing. I’d buy a case at retail if I ever saw it at a duty free.  

Budweiser Cooper Lager aged with Jim Beam staves is a pass for me.I'd try it at the bar, but don't buy a 6 pack. It is well priced for an "beer aged in bourbon barrels". I hope they bring back the Prohibition Lager, that stuff is fantastic. 

IW Haper 15 tonight, maybe a little Weller 12. The big Larceny "double barrel" reveal is next week.