Texas -- a failed state

Brisketexan

• 7 months later...

'People are leaving Texas over rising costs, partisan politics, and a sense of disenchantment'

Nothing super earth-shattering in here. I just found it interesting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/people-are-leaving-texas-over-rising-costs-partisan-politics-and-a-sense-of-disenchantment/ar-AA1kxJmx

• Texas has experienced a surge in popularity during the pandemic that drove home prices up 30%.
  • Meanwhile the political freedom some sought in the state has encouraged others to leave.
  • Have you left or do you plan to leave Texas? Business Insider wants to hear from you.
  • While some homebuyers seek the American dream in Texas, many are leaving the state to find it elsewhere.

"Lifelong Texan here. I am definitely preparing an exit strategy," one anonymous user posted on a Reddit thread about leaving Texas. "From the heat to the stripping away of human rights, I'm just done."

Another poster struck a similar chord. "I've been in Texas most of my life, and my husband and I were always planning on retiring here (in about 5 years from now)," they wrote. "But between this intense heat, crazy politics, and cost of living, we've decided to leave for good and head to Knoxville."

While people have been moving into the Lone Star state to take advantage of its relatively affordable real-estate market, political atmosphere, and work opportunities, some of those same qualities are driving others out. Over 494,000 people left Texas between 2021 and 2022 (though the state gained a net population of 174,261.) It's a trend that could intensify as housing costs surge and the state's political landscape becomes more polarized.

Housing costs have some looking for affordability elsewhere

Texas experienced a surge in popularity during the pandemic that pushed home prices up 30% since 2019, according to data from Realtor.com. At the same, residents are also grappling with property taxes that are among the highest in the country.

Californians seeking more affordable homes made the Golden-to-Lone-Star-state moving route the most popular in the country between 2021 and 2022, with almost 108,000 people making the move. But there's a one big downside.

"The property tax percentage rate is higher," Marie Bailey, a Texas-based realtor who moved from El Segundo, California, to Prosper, Texas, in 2017, previously told Business Insider. "Every time a prospective client calls me, it's one of the first things I talk about."

Marie Bailey and her family moved to Prosper, Texas in 2017, where she is now a realtor helping other Californians make the move to The Lone Star State. Courtesy of Marie Bailey© Courtesy of Marie Bailey

As Texas starts to lose its edge as an inexpensive and affordable housing choice, many locals are shifting their focus to the Midwest.

For Texans, "the Midwest has emerged as popular recently because it is just by and large the most affordable region," Hannah Jones, Realtor.com's economic research analyst, told Business Insider in October. "We're seeing this trend of buyers looking for affordability really explode."

The political freedom many moved to the state for is driving others away

For many Americans, politics are just as important as housing affordability when choosing a place to live.

According to a 2022 survey by mortgage marketplace LendingTree involving 1,545 participants, 39% of respondents said they've relocated or might consider moving to a different state if their political views didn't align with the majority.

Jackie Burse, a self-identified Conservative, is one of the many Californians who have sought out Texas for its political environment. Burse told Business Insider in September that it played a crucial role in her decision to relocate to Texas in 2021.

Jackie Burse grabbing a drink. Courtesy of Jackie Burse© Courtesy of Jackie Burse

In Texas there is "room for people to believe what they want without being shamed," Burse said, unlike in California.

Contrary to Burse, Bob McCranie, a Dallas-based real-estate broker who created a real-estate service that helps LGBTQ+ people in Texas sell their homes and get connected with agents in different parts of the country and abroad, told KXAN News in July that the state's lack of inclusivity has created an unwelcoming environment.

"What we all want as human beings is to feel a level of safety, and if your state is making you feel unsafe, there's no reason to stay," McCranie said. "I can't believe somebody could look at, let's say, California or New York versus Texas and Florida and say that LGBTQ people feel more welcome in Florida and Texas."

Texas hasn't lived up to its promises for some

Some recent transplants have also grown disenchanted with the state.

In Austin, some tech workers who flocked to the city during the pandemic just can't seem to get out fast enough.

Nick Thomas, 30, moved to Austin from downtown Los Angeles in January 2021 and told Business Insider in August he hoped to move back to California soon. He called Austin is a "watered-down" version of places he's previously lived like Los Angeles and San Francisco.

"People say it's a tech scene just because that's what they were told, but when you get to it, there's no evidence for it," Thomas said. "I think it was just oversold."

Jules Rogers, a reporter who relocated from Portland, Oregon, to Houston in 2018 for a position at a local newspaper, left Texas less than two years after moving to the city.

Jules Rogers, left, in Texas. Courtesy of Jules Rogers© Courtesy of Jules Rogers

Though she was earning a 20% higher income and living in a more spacious apartment, she said that her quality of life hadn't improved.

"I tried to tell myself I just needed to give it a chance, settle in, and get used to Houston, but I missed the trees, the air, the mountains, the ocean, the vibes, and the culture of the Pacific Northwest," Rogers previously wrote on Business Insider.

She has since returned to Portland where she said she feels "much happier now back at home."

16 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Jules Rogers, a reporter who relocated from Portland, Oregon, to Houston in 2018 for a position at a local newspaper, left Texas less than two years after moving to the city.

Jules Rogers, left, in Texas. Courtesy of Jules Rogers© Courtesy of Jules Rogers

Though she was earning a 20% higher income and living in a more spacious apartment, she said that her quality of life hadn't improved.

"I tried to tell myself I just needed to give it a chance, settle in, and get used to Houston, but I missed the trees, the air, the mountains, the ocean, the vibes, and the culture of the Pacific Northwest," Rogers previously wrote on Business Insider.

Color me shocked...

How it started:

2 Days in Portland, Oregon: A Delicious and Fun-Filled Itinerary -  WanderWisdom

How its going:

Dizzying photo of world's widest freeway sparks mass debate online: 'There  is traffic, even with all those lanes'

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

And that's living in a great food/culture city like Houston. I meet transplants here in Waco all the time, poor bastards are actually choosing to move here.

If you go around with the assumption that dark hidden forces are malevolently controlling everything, Waco can be pretty interesting.

• Haha 8

26 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Well at least that's usually Uncle Sam telling you that you're Bell County material. 

What's so funny is that as the news was talking about all these millennials in Killeen, the obvious next comment is... hmmm... could that be due to some large employer in the area?  Never made the connection.

• Haha 3

Nah, it's young people rejecting the Biden failed America and coming to conservative areas for more freedoms.  (Checks notes)  Or coming to a place to be told what to do and when to do it for several years.  either way, Hunter's laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

On the right wing, “political freedom” equals “nobody tells me what an asshole I am when I say my weird, awful political views out loud.” 

Let me make that a bit more accurate:

".... when I repeatedly state my fascist beliefs and fact-free religious fanaticism out loud."

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

810k children have lost Medicaid coverage in Texas this year.

This Christmas season, Texas Republicans will tune into the broadcast of It’s a Wonderful Life to root for Mr. Potter.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

810k children have lost Medicaid coverage in Texas this year.

Once again, fuck you Republicans. Fuck you @fattyflattie. Fuck you @Incredulity. Fuck you @DalTxHornFan.  (Oh, and congratulations on standing out as Surly Republicans, too, in an era where aligning with Republican is akin to aligning with fascists. Fuck you).

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/1/2023 at 6:10 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You can get a box of 24 tampons throughout Europe for 2-3 Euros.  In the US, the same box is 7-8 USD.  It's fucking bullshit.

Ok I’m going to regret asking this, but the average woman’s period takes up 12 tampons? So a 5 dollar difference every two months is “fucking bullshit”? Or 30 dollars per annum. Of all the things to complain about  

IMG-0589.gif

• Fuck You 3

23 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Once again, fuck you Republicans. Fuck you @fattyflattie. Fuck you @Incredulity. Fuck you @DalTxHornFan.  (Oh, and congratulations on standing out as Surly Republicans, too, in an era where aligning with Republican is akin to aligning with fascists. Fuck you).

Thanks.  So it is an unspeakable tragedy when an emergency pandemic era policy ends (only after the pandemic is over) and the pre-pandemic policies are re-instituted? 

"Emergency" measures forever!  Never let a good crisis go to waste -- amirite?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Texas is the state with the fewest personal freedoms, according to Newsweek.

https://www.newsweek.com/texas-least-free-state-personal-freedom-index-1846236#:~:text=Texas was found to be,freedoms at the state level.

Just now, DalTxHornFan said:

Thanks.  So it is an unspeakable tragedy when an emergency pandemic era policy ends (only after the pandemic is over) and the pre-pandemic policies are re-instituted? 

One side wants to end America as we know it.  And it's not the Democrats.  Lots of folks in prison for sedition from J6.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

56 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

Ok I’m going to regret asking this, but the average woman’s period takes up 12 tampons? So a 5 dollar difference every two months is “fucking bullshit”? Or 30 dollars per annum. Of all the things to complain about  

IMG-0589.gif

Fuck you, too.

People who like to make money care. And folks who bloviate about economic principles care.

This story ought be seen as an opportunity for investors to make money selling tampons, with a market advantage of a significantly lower price.. People care about that.  This story ought be paired with the story about the cost of insulin. There are ways to produce insulin that would meet the market need of a lower price.

There’s money to be made. The fact no one is filling these niches call the tropes we are fed into question.

Edited to add that US productions costs are $9 per hour lower, for labor, than Europe’s.

https://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2009/mar/wk5/art01.htm

Also adding my wife’s comment that there are women, and young women, who go without because of the expense. Again, fuck you.

Edited by Willfully Horn
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

You have such a pretty finger, Penelope.  It would be way cool if you ever debated on the merits.  How long should the pandemic measures continue?

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

11 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

So, you like denying children money, that you’ve already spent, for their healthcare? Again, fuck you.

This NPR article is dated, but the dynamic still applies. If you want me to find a more current source for the same claim, answer my question.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwir3f_ry-WCAxVplGoFHSiVB_YQFnoECBQQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.npr.org%2F2015%2F05%2F29%2F410470081%2Ftexas-didn-t-expand-medicaid-advocates-say-money-is-being-left-on-the-table&usg=AOvVaw2YcSseqnzb5T3P2lGvUIFc&opi=89978449

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

IMG-0589.gif

It is called a tax on being a woman.  Just like how health care for women is WAY behind that for men.  But yeah, gotta make those little blue penis pills.  

Gotta love the misogyny some of the posters on this board flout on a regular basis.  Pretty disgusting really.

9 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

You have such a pretty finger, Penelope.  It would be way cool if you ever debated on the merits.  How long should the pandemic measures continue?

Why debate complete pieces of shit like yourself?  There is zero fucking point.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Thanks for not answering my question and lumping it in with an unrelated subject, Penelope.

What is funny is that this latest surge in the thread is based upon a so-called "Business Insider" piece that hangs its hat upon an unsourced Reddit comment!

Thanks for not responding about the sedition, DalTxHornFan.  I suspect you're one of those Republicans who tries to pretend that never happened, right?  Or maybe it wasn't really that bad?  Or are you waiting for the FBI knock on your door wanting to know your whereabouts for that day?  They're still arresting people, you know.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Thanks for not responding about the sedition, DalTxHornFan.  I suspect you're one of those Republicans who tries to pretend that never happened, right?  Or maybe it wasn't really that bad?  Or are you waiting for the FBI knock on your door wanting to know your whereabouts for that day?  They're still arresting people, you know.

Thank you for diversion from the actual recent subject of this thread:

1. Are people really leaving Texas in droves?

2. Is it bad that the pandemic era rules are returning to the pre-pandemic rules after the pandemic is over?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Thank you for diversion from the actual recent subject of this thread:

1. Are people really leaving Texas in droves?

2. Is it bad that the pandemic era rules are returning to the pre-pandemic rules after the pandemic is over?

You still didn't answer.

This is @DalTxHornFan@DalTxHornFan asks for honest discourse and debate, but has ZERO intention of that.  Rather, he is a Trump/GQP fan boy who doesn't understand why we just neg and move on.  Your shit is old and tired just like you are.  TexAgs is much more your speed.  Go post there.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 213940.png

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

House is under contract. Should be done with all ties to Texas in 4 weeks. 

this time, will not entertain returning. 

Congrats.  

• Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Well I see this has been addressed earlier, in perhaps a different way. This board loves them some Twitter propaganda. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

couple things here.  A per annum increase in tampon costs of $30 is not worthy of a national debate, granted.  But it's a leading indicator of the higher costs past along to women in the form of hygiene products to Rx drugs.  Kinda like how we erroneously pin economic indicators on a President like Automobile Fuel prices.  We all know that oil & gas are global commodities traded on open markets which are Adam Smith designed so that no one person can control the prices.  So just like tampons are about much more than just the cost of the box, so too is are global energy markets about much more than Biden or Trump.  

Second-most women use way more than 12 in a cycle.  There's heavy days, there's days where you drop one in the toilet or it falls out of your purse.  There's light days at the start, and days at the end when ovulation is taking over and the wife is horny as hell and they get gooey wet just from a backrub so they gotta use a new one just minutes after sex.  You'd know if you ever spent a day in your life /pacino.  There's pool time, there's changing for an evening event time.  There's pre-premenopausal time where they need to change several times a day because it's unpredictable flow.  Then there's "I'm having my period but I'll blow you" but then things get outta hand and you end up fucking and she needs yet another one she didn't count on.  

Between no pussy getting Abbott and Dan Patrick probably using more tampons per month than all the female posters on this site combined, we are failing women at every turn in Texas.  And the worst part is, millions of Texas women are going with it because reasons...

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Well I see this has been addressed earlier, in perhaps a different way. This board loves them some Twitter propaganda. 

We see your dishonesty in framing the Medicare spending by the Texas government debate, and know you are an ass clown.

Edited to add: who masturbates to Tiktok

Edited by Willfully Horn

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

couple things here.  A per annum increase in tampon costs of $30 is not worthy of a national debate, granted.  But it's a leading indicator of the higher costs past along to women in the form of hygiene products to Rx drugs.  Kinda like how we erroneously pin economic indicators on a President like Automobile Fuel prices.  We all know that oil & gas are global commodities traded on open markets which are Adam Smith designed so that no one person can control the prices.  So just like tampons are about much more than just the cost of the box, so too is are global energy markets about much more than Biden or Trump.  

Second-most women use way more than 12 in a cycle.  There's heavy days, there's days where you drop one in the toilet or it falls out of your purse.  There's light days at the start, and days at the end when ovulation is taking over and the wife is horny as hell and they get gooey wet just from a backrub so they gotta use a new one just minutes after sex.  You'd know if you ever spent a day in your life /pacino.  There's pool time, there's changing for an evening event time.  There's pre-premenopausal time where they need to change several times a day because it's unpredictable flow.  Then there's "I'm having my period but I'll blow you" but then things get outta hand and you end up fucking and she needs yet another one she didn't count on.  

Between no pussy getting Abbott and Dan Patrick probably using more tampons per month than all the female posters on this site combined, we are failing women at every turn in Texas.  And the worst part is, millions of Texas women are going with it because reasons...

This right fucking here.  This is the point.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is @DalTxHornFan@DalTxHornFan asks for honest discourse and debate, but has ZERO intention of that.  Rather, he is a Trump/GQP fan boy who doesn't understand why we just neg and move on.  Your shit is old and tired just like you are.  TexAgs is much more your speed.  Go post there.

Screenshot 2023-11-27 213940.png

Congrats.  

Thank you, Penelope, for letting the board know that I am polite and respectful to other Surlyites that I may disagree with in my (supposedly/anticipated/expected) private conversations.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1