2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Someone explain the thinking behind starting Yordan in LF and Brantley as DH. It can’t be a rest thing and I don’t think Uncle Mike is nursing an injury. While Brantley isn’t a gold glover, he’s definitely better than Alvarez defensively. 

Alvarez has hit way better when playing in the field. He has a decent arm and with a short left field limited range is all that is necessary to play there. You are also starting a guy that if on might get 1 to 2balls that way in the air

Just now, Dondrysdale1 said:

Alvarez has hit way better when playing in the field. He has a decent arm and with a short left field limited range is all that is necessary to play there. You are also starting a guy that if on might get 1 to 2balls that way in the air

This is it.

Rightly or wrongly, they are playing the “Yordan batting stats are way better when he is in the field.”

• Hook 'Em 1

I recognize that it’s fine while Framber is pitching but what about the 3+ innings the bullpen is going to pitch. I can’t wait to hear y’all’ bitching when he gets subbed for late in the game for defensive purposes and misses an AB or 2.

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I recognize that it’s fine while Framber is pitching but what about the 3+ innings the bullpen is going to pitch. I can’t wait to hear y’all’s bitching when he gets subbed for late in the game for defensive purposes and misses an AB or 2.

We'll be up 11-3, tho, so no worries.

Joe Buck was just on Mad Dog's show and dropped some blunt words about the crying over the 2017 Astros cheating and was quick to remind the audience that it wasn't just that ex-Astro Cora became the manager of the Red Sox but that his 2018 team cheated as well. I think Astros fans will want to hear that segment.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Someone explain the thinking behind starting Yordan in LF and Brantley as DH. It can’t be a rest thing and I don’t think Uncle Mike is nursing an injury. While Brantley isn’t a gold glover, he’s definitely better than Alvarez defensively. 

they've said before that they always play yordan in left when framber is pitching because of the ground ball numbers.  they want them to "split" time so this is an easy call that they keep making.

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Framber is a ground ball machine, 70.3% of balls put into play are grounders. Also, Alvarez for whatever reason hits .100 points higher when he's in the field. With the added benefit of MMP and the short LF. This is why he's in there. He will likely do the same in Boston for game 5. Though the Green Wall can be humbling and you might want the veteran out there.

14 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I have a good feeling Odorizzi is gonna step up for us. 

I do, too.  Chip on his shoulder from being left off the ALDS roster could work in his favor, hopefully.

And I think the bats are gonna keep going -- 6+ runs tonight and we'll probably need that frequently in this series.  

And I feel like we really need Game 1.  This is huge tonight.

Let's fucking go!

Edited by TexArcher

12 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

I have a good feeling Odorizzi is gonna step up for us. 

He was awful in 7 starts out the 23 he made. In the other 16 starts he pitched to a 282 era, with a .7 HR/9, 2.3 BB/9, and a 7.4 K/9.

If he can tap into those 16 good starts he will make a difference in this series positively for the Astros.