2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, Scraps said:

The JV hate is so laughable to me.  

Me too.  It would be nice if he was in Houston all year but not a big deal either way.  And the covid restriction being a hassle when he started rehabbing seems at least plausible although I would think that had lightened up by the time vaccines were available.  Whatever. I hope we try to bring him back but I don't think I would go beyond 2 years and I suspect some team will give him 3 or 4.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hot Rainylanta.  Would a rainout Friday or Saturday help or hurt us?  I'm guessing Atlanta would bring Fried back on full rest in Game 5 if it was pushed back to Monday.  That would just shift their bullpen game to Game 6* though so I'm not sure it would matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Capture.JPG

7 minutes ago, WBT said:

Hot Rainylanta.  Would a rainout Friday or Saturday help or hurt us?  I'm guessing Atlanta would bring Fried back on full rest in Game 5 if it was pushed back to Monday.  That would just shift their bullpen game to Game 6* though so I'm not sure it would matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Capture.JPG

Is that what the weatherman says?

It'll be perfect all 3 games then.

The Astros are letting Correa go to turn and sign Semein to $30M AAV contract. The dude is already in his 30's, granted he had a phenomenal year and he probably be great in the clubhouse with the Astros.

I think you try to trade for Bassitt, I wonder if a package that including Whitley would entice them. Beane loves flipping 1 year rentals for 6 years of team control.

After that try to bring McHugh home, resign Graveman, and go get Knebel.

If you have enough left over go try to find a cheap rental at SS, someone like Simmons, or just give the job to Pena.

Bassitt, McCullers, Valdez, Garcia, and Urquidy

Pressly, Graveman, Stanek, Knebel, McHugh, Raley, and Taylor

Altuve-Brantley-Bregman-Alvarez-Gurriel-Tucker-McComick/Meyers/Siri-Simmons/Pena-Maldonado

That team probably wins over 100 games next year.

30 minutes ago, WBT said:

Me too.  It would be nice if he was in Houston all year but not a big deal either way.  And the covid restriction being a hassle when he started rehabbing seems at least plausible although I would think that had lightened up by the time vaccines were available.  Whatever. I hope we try to bring him back but I don't think I would go beyond 2 years and I suspect some team will give him 3 or 4.

Yeah, 6 innings for $66M. Not likely to happen, unless he takes the QO.

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The Astros are letting Correa go to turn and sign Semein to $30M AAV contract. The dude is already in his 30's, granted he had a phenomenal year and he probably be great in the clubhouse with the Astros.

I think you try to trade for Bassitt, I wonder if a package that including Whitley would entice them. Beane loves flipping 1 year rentals for 6 years of team control.

If you have enough left over go try to find a cheap rental at SS, someone like Simmons, or just give the job to Pena.

Altuve-Brantley-Bregman-Alvarez-Gurriel-Tucker-McComick/Meyers/Siri-Simmons/Pena-Maldonado

That’s a good team. I don’t hate it. I’m buying up everyone else’s Whitley stock on the penny exchange though. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

If anyone is still in need of G6 or G7 tickets there’s a handful of pairs/trios in 400 level available right now via Astros.com

I believe current face value ($700/ea) is increased vs. the original on-sale, but still better bet than dealing with Stubhub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I don’t think anyone signs this winter for $30m annual if the contract isn’t a one year deal.  

42 minutes ago, Muny_Tex said:

If anyone is still in need of G6 or G7 tickets there’s a handful of pairs/trios in 400 level available right now via Astros.com

I believe current face value ($700/ea) is increased vs. the original on-sale, but still better bet than dealing with Stubhub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy smokes.

yeah, I’d say so.

those were ~$300 originally

not paying $709 for the last row in the building.

i need game 6, but hoping/expecting StubHub to come way way down between now and Tuesday 

6 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Holy smokes.

yeah, I’d say so.

those were ~$300 originally

not paying $709 for the last row in the building.

i need game 6, but hoping/expecting StubHub to come way way down between now and Tuesday 

Yeah, they'll be free after we win all 3 in Atlanta.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Hear me now and mock me or believe me I don't care, but I'm going to be right just like when I said Carlos Correa was going to make $400 million over his career...

Someone going to offer JV at least 75 million. 

If I'm Houston and I'm really not signing Correa I offer something like 4/100 with the first two years at $55 or so guaranteed and a club option for the rest.  I think he will get a better deal than that, but with Carlos and Greinke coming off the payroll that would shave and him getting a lower AAV deal that would still shave $44 million of the payroll and you'd have the top of the rotation spot figured out.  I'd trade Odo b/c I fucking hated that deal and contract from the first fucking time I heard us linked to him and that frees up another $10,000,000 or so.  I don't know how many people are getting big raises but that would still give us enough money to sign a really good short stop (hell offer Simien 2 years $80,000,000 if you want b/c you hate long term deals for older players so fucking much) and that keeps this team around next year:

JV/LMJ/Framber/Urquidy/Garcia; Pressley/Graveman/Stanek/Javier/Maton/JAG/JAG/JAG

Machete/Castro/Yuli/Altuve/MS/Bregman/Yordon/Brantley/Jazz MCMeyers/Tucker.

I'd move on from Diaz (save another 3 million) and Marwin and Pena/Leon have a battle royale over the utility spot.  Then Jake Rodgers starts getting broken in toward the end of the season. 

Then in 23 you have the same exact starters, Pressley is up and that's ok- Javier moves into that spot if he isn't already starting or one of the kids.  Brantley is gone. Yuli is gone, Machete/Castro are gone, but you have ready replacements for all of them with Rodgers/Pena/Leon who got their feet wet.  

Then- after 23 before 24 you have decisions to make on Altuve and Bregman and if Tucker and Alvarez get big deals- and a ton of money coming off the books with Simien gone and able to get out of JV's deal if you want/he doesn't hit the vesting stuff.

But- that's 2 100 win teams that are best or second best in baseball and then a ton of optionality.  Without going over the luxury tax threshold. 

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

And an hour later, they're still there.  Good on them for trying I guess, but those prices will have to come down to sell those.

If I sell my good seats and those are around I will buy them. I don't imagine there is a world where my seats sell on stubhub for what I'm asking and those are still there, but who knows...