2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

"I'm doubly excited today," Correa told Alex Rodriguez on the FS1 postgame show Tuesday night. "We had that great game and when I went back to the locker, he gave me one of his hats that he's been wearing around. To me that was such a great honor. Reggie Jackson is such a legend of the game. Just giving me the hat that says Mr. October on the side, that was special to me so I'm really excited about that one, too."

I didn't know Reggie was half Puerto Rican until a few years ago. I had long wondered why his middle name was Martinez, though.

3 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

No matter the final score, nearly all games are impacted by multiple pitch calls. So they're an easy go-to excuse  for whoever ends up losing a tough one, especially in October. We've been on the wrong side of questionable pitches (ours or the opponent's) countless times over the decades. That includes not just pitch location but checked/unchecked swings.

We all know last night's whining wouldn't have occurred had that exact same pitch call not been followed by a clutch hit against the media darling team. Even at that, had the Sox not then proceeded to crumple like tinfoil, there's a good chance nobody cares today. As tempting as it is, don't scream about a "missed" call that wouldn't have bothered you going against the other team or even your own in a less pivotal scenario with a different eventual outcome. It's baseball, man, and it will be that way as long as people call balls and strikes. 

@Cajun posted this in the CWS thread and it's one of those quotes that will stick with you awhile:

I can't remember the player, but I was sitting right behind the plate and a struggling Horn was up to bat.  Dude was pressing hard, talking to himself, etc.  I think he'd struck out like 5 times in a row coming into that a/b.  Augie got his attention after the guy got down 0-2.  The batter stepped out of the box and Augie said loudly, but calmly - "Settle down.  Every pitch is a new lifetime".

You could see the frustration and tension leave the guy's body.  He worked the count to 2-2 and then roped a ball off the left field fence.

Zen indeed.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Castro needs some credit too for playing it so cool on that pitch 

People were complaining about Cora using Eovaldi there but he is locked in until he either got rattled by that Castro hit or ran out of gas.  That was an extremely tough AB by Castro.  No way in Hell is Maldy able to foul off that heater at the top of the zone to get to that hanging splitter.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I have never been more thankful for a day game after a night game than I am today.

fucking over the umpiring talk 

no shit, fuck ESPN. 

My concern is they've created enough of an echo chamber that Astros hitters and pitchers will pay the price today with the home plate ump.

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

no shit, fuck ESPN. 

My concern is they've created enough of an echo chamber that Astros hitters and pitchers will pay the price today with the home plate ump.

Banners fly forever. 

No one except East Coast baseball team fans and hockey fans even really watch ESPN anyways.  They are following the cable "news" formula of playing to their audience and driving up clicks and views through bias reporting disguised as journalism.

Edited by Texas St. Armadillos

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

And if they had signed Cole and Springer while we're twisting the knife.

well we're actually paying verlander.  we're 2 wins from the series with over a quarter of our payroll (jv + greinke) essentially non-contributing.  you can add lmj to that as well.  hopefully crane and click continue to see that as long as our core is intact, we can do great things.

• Hook 'Em 2