Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

20 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I agree that Samples would be the ideal backfill for Drayton, but in a world where we haven't developed talent in 10 years, I don't want a volume recruiter in place of a legit coach anywhere else. Were Coleman to be replaced, we should be looking at guys like Wiggins, Chiaverini, Gonzalez, etc. Not Samples. 

I’m not saying we should fire Coleman and hire Samples, but why are you assuming he’s not a legit coach? I’ve never heard a bad word about his coaching, and while he would’ve been a little green in 2019 when SMU hired him, experience isn’t an issue anymore.  He played WR in college and has now been an offensive assistant/position coach at RB and WR for 5 years. He’ll have 3 years of full position coach experience by the end of this season. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not saying we should fire Coleman and hire Samples, but why are you assuming he’s not a legit coach exactly? I’ve never heard a bad word about his coaching, and while he would’ve been a little green in 2019 when SMU hired him, experience isn’t an issue anymore.  He played WR in college and has now been an offensive assistant/position coach at RB and WR for 5 years. He’ll have 3 years of full position coach experience why the end of this year. 

If Coleman were to be replaced, I would expect to pursue an elite WR coach and recruiter. "I haven't heard he sucks" doesn't scream elite to me. Were we to bring in a volume recruiter to backfill Drayton or take over TE, I'm all in on Samples which is not dismissing his abilities as a coach.

4 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I think Coleman his a good coach. He has a nice resume and relates well with players. All reports from last year suggest that Herman was the culprit for the WR rotations and lets not act like Coleman has had a bunch of talent to work with. 

I’m willing to give him a pass due to Herman’s dumbfuckery last year, but he has plenty of talent to work with right now. 

Whittington, Omeire, Smith, Worthy, Dixon, Moore, Washington, Alexis is a legit receiver room. It’s not the best in the country by any means, but there’s more than enough talent there to produce really good results this season. 

12 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

If Coleman were to be replaced, I would expect to pursue an elite WR coach and recruiter. "I haven't heard he sucks" doesn't scream elite to me. Were we to bring in a volume recruiter to backfill Drayton or take over TE, I'm all in on Samples which is not dismissing his abilities as a coach.

And where in your scenario is Jeff banks going, exactly? You know, arguably the best recruiter on staff not named Autist Gideon. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

And where in your scenario is Jeff banks going, exactly? You know, arguably the best recruiter on staff not named Autist Gideon. 

I've seen that Jeff Banks wants to be a head coach at some point.

We are, as usual, getting way ahead of ourselves here.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Machinator said:

Sorry to interrupt the titillating convo about coaches and their future endeavors, but that south endzone Longhorn is fucking badass in that bottom right pic. Can't wait to see that live and on the tele. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Of course I'd rather Sark recruit elite position coaches to make the parallel move over to his staff, but chances are you're not going to fill a whole staff with those. Good HCs, at a lot of points during their career, take chances on guys like Samples and they work out, or they don't. 

One thing is certain: recruiting better players doesn't hurt when it comes to their chances of getting to the NFL. 

Edited by UncleBuck

IT Scoop:

OL Jacob Sexton, Deer Creek (Edmond, OK) - 2022:

One prospect we were paying close attention to was the 6-foot-6, 295-pound four-star Sexton. Austin didn't disappoint the Oklahoma native.

“It was a lot of fun,” said Sexton. “There was a lot of stuff to do there and the coaches were great. The whole family enjoyed the trip. I thought the staff was great and my player hosts were fun to hang out and talk to.”

He mentioned Logan Parr, Jake Majors, and Sawyer Goram-Welch as the most hospitable hosts, while chatting with 2023 five-star quarterback Arch Manning (Isidore Newman, LA).

“Yeah, I got to say ‘what’s up’ to Arch,” Sexton said. “And they were around a lot throughout the visit, good dudes.”

The idea of playing with one of the nation’s top passers certainly intrigues the four-star Oklahoma native.

“It’s always really interesting to think of what a good class could do at a college,” Sexton said, who spent time with fellow visitor and offensive line target Cole Hutson (Frisco).

His timeline is set, “I’ll be committing to somewhere in July.”

He’s seen Alabama. He’s still going to see Oklahoma State. An OU official trip is to be determined.

UT is in a position of strength after the weekend

LB Sebastian Cheeks, Evanston Township (Evanston, IL) - 2022:

The 6-foot-3, 215-pound four-star felt Austin was bigger and better than expected.

A source close to the Chicago area native shared this:

“(Cheeks) just texted me that he was going to visit Michigan soon. I felt like Texas led going into the visit but the fact that he’s still setting up other visits makes me think he’s not sure."

I think the Horns established themselves as a major factor in these sweepstakes over the weekend. We’ll have more from Cheeks later this week.

OL Cole Hutson, Frisco (Frisco, TX) - 2022:

The Hutsons hit the Horns’ home for the third time in as many months. That's a good sign in the recruiting world.

His host was Jake Majors, so he was around other offensive linemen throughout the weekend.

It's real simple here; he's still going to see OU and Texas A&M for the remainder of June. Then he'd like to reach a decision sometime after that, possibly July or August. '
This family has done its homework and Texas is passing the test to this point.

DB Bryan Allen, Jr, Aledo (Aledo, TX) - 2022 (TEXAS):

It's always good when committed prospects return to campus after seeing other schools. The Aledo duo, Bryan and his younger brother Jaden, are fresh off an Alabama visit, so getting back to the ATX was important.

“It was great," said Bryan Allen. "I had a good workout with Coach (Blake) Gideon and actually got to meet all the coaches in person. They got to see how tuff Jaden really is. It was all love, and I can only imagine how the official visit will be.”

Jaden, his 2024 brother who also holds n offer, absolutely loved the camp and competition. Texas is in a great place with the Allens after this weekend.

DB Xavion Brice, Arlington Seguin (Arlington, TX) - 2022:

The former Kansas commit arrived with bright eyes and optimism. He left with a Texas offer.

"Texas was great to me," said Brice. "They like me at corner with my length and closing ability."

Brice is a man of very few words, but he's eager to make it back for a game this fall.

"I want to see this stadium lit up," Brice tells IT.

Join the club, Xavion.

The 6-foot-1, 178 pound athlete also recently picked up OU.

RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton (Newton, TX) - 2022:

June 22nd. That's when the east Texas tailback will announce his decision. After taking his USC official visit, IT is told he's down to Texas and Iowa State.

If the Horns want him, he's orange house. Texas fellow running back target Tavorus Jones this weekend should tell us more.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Spearman, TX) - 2022:

The wide receiver with elite speed made an official visit to Oklahoma State last weekend, and remains scheduled to make an unofficial visit to Texas June 18-20, and then an unofficial visit to Texas A&M June 21-22. The Longhorns would love to get Thompson to make the weekend trip an official visit, as they did last weekend with Harold Perkins when it was up in the air between an unofficial and official until finalizing as an OV.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

serious question here but how many folks are there who are both an elite coach and an elite recruiter, especially at WR?

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

"I was told OU reached out to Evan and he told them he had no interest in visiting." - Roach

Denzel Washington GIF

24 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

First time I can recall that a decommitment was teased with a tweet/announcement time. Plus an edit

Soon they're gonna do decommitment videos

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Has Bryce Anderson made it in yet?

Not happening. Update from Gerry:

Spoiler

Change of plans for Bryce Anderson and family. They are not heading to Austin this week. Beaumont West Brook begins summer weight workouts today/this week, and Anderson is the leader of the team and wants to be present.

The Alabama official visit remains for this weekend, June 18-20.

The Anderson will family will head to Austin after the conclusion of Beaumont West Brook's games in the state 7v7 tournament June 24-26. It's likely the family will be in Austin by 2-3pm on the 26th.

Just now, Machinator said:

Not happening. Update from Gerry:

Reveal hidden contents

Change of plans for Bryce Anderson and family. They are not heading to Austin this week. Beaumont West Brook begins summer weight workouts today/this week, and Anderson is the leader of the team and wants to be present.

The Alabama official visit remains for this weekend, June 18-20.

The Anderson will family will head to Austin after the conclusion of Beaumont West Brook's games in the state 7v7 tournament June 24-26. It's likely the family will be in Austin by 2-3pm on the 26th.

this thing is getting weird

18 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My son will be going to school with Jordan Hudson this year.  I'll pass along any Whataburger bags y'all want to send.

I expect daily updates on his t-shirt choice and a full breakdown on Hudson’s hand strength after he stuffs your kid in a trash can. 

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry added:

Hide contents

TBD on OV. Yes, it will be two days. Always a chance a commitment date could be pushed back too. A lot of moving parts on this one.

This isn't anything negative on Texas' chances. Just schedule juggling.

I thought Gerry added that the new Westbrook coach encouraged - or at least suggested - that Anderson not visit at this time because of football practice/weight training.  Same coach was fired as Oklahoma Central University HC in 2007 for NCAA violations regarding practice time and rules compliance.  Between this and the aggy emergence, I'm also sensing something off is materializing here in this recruitment.  

• Rage+1 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting