Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I'd be happy to have a re-thumbed Casey Thompson + slightly smarter Card.  

We were a "slightly better defense" and a "better QB (for the second two-thirds of the year)" away from being a nine or ten win team.

Won't take a whole lot of improvement for us to hit eight ones next year.

Give us a nice Portal Combat and we might even hit 9-10 wins.  

#homerbecausetexas

Edited by ATXbronco

Maybe it's wishcasting (heck, maybe everything positive is right now), but I feel the new collective suddenly gives us a huge leg up in competing for solid portal guys. Fans naturally fixate on signing star high schoolers. But with our current desperate need for mature players at multiple positions, and with our staff presumably being aggressive in the portal, this newfound money should be a massive plus. In particular, guys who could contribute to our rebuild but don't figure to play pro ball now can pocket some money as their college days wind down. That might be just as enticing to them as to the high school guys, if for different reasons. 

2 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Maybe it's wishcasting (heck, maybe everything positive is right now), but I feel the new collective suddenly gives us a huge leg up in competing for solid portal guys. Fans naturally fixate on signing star high schoolers. But with our current desperate need for mature players at multiple positions, and with our staff presumably being aggressive in the portal, this newfound money should be a massive plus. In particular, guys who could contribute to our rebuild but don't figure to play pro ball now can pocket some money as their college days wind down. That might be just as enticing to them as to the high school guys, if for different reasons. 

I just don't see us being able to get enough guys from the portal to make a material difference.  It's not like most of them are either busts or head cases.  I know not all are but, really, its like finding a diamond in the rough.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Don Hornleone said:

Funny that when Water Fawcett said there would be a bunch of recruiting news UT related dropped today in the 22 live chat, everybody thought it was good news for us. Nah…. 

I suggested that wasn’t necessarily the case, but people read a lot into it that was never said. Not sure why anyone is surprised that alpha players don’t want to play for a shitty team with a beta coach.  

10 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Agree.

The portal will make or break us for next year.  There are players out there that can really improve our team.

Our coaches really have to step up evaluation and get the player coached up.  If they can't,  we're fucked. 

Edited by Laga4

3 hours ago, dcar00 said:

well, no one wants to play for a loser.  gonna need the portal and hope Sark pulls something out of his ass.  any coach in the land can show a recruit Sark's HC record.

we'll still get some guys because Texas but there is no quick fix when you go 5-7 charlie style.

Hiring the guy was a fucking retarded move in the first place. Bargain coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

If Casey Thompson and Hudson Card are the two potential starters next year, we are truly fucked.  Frankly I’ll be disappointed if both are on the roster. 

Guess we don’t believe in developing huh?? If Card or Casey are here and one of them start let’s just hope it means they got better.. . 

cause the way it’s looking we might not get anybody

Edited by D3zii

3 hours ago, turtlepond said:

Honest question - is expecting Harris and Stewart to transfer after a year in CS a reality, or wishful thinking?  A lot of people were/are under the impression that Demas was portal-bound, but no word out there yet. Has aggy had a lot of attrition from higher rated roster players recently?

Whoop! You’re exposing yourself. 

3 hours ago, turtlepond said:

Honest question - is expecting Harris and Stewart to transfer after a year in CS a reality, or wishful thinking?  A lot of people were/are under the impression that Demas was portal-bound, but no word out there yet. Has aggy had a lot of attrition from higher rated roster players recently?

Not sure about attrition but Jimbo's not exactly lighting the world on fire with the top ranked recruits from previous classes. Here are the top 100 composite recruits from previous classes.

'18: O'Neal (big lol), Preston (bust so far as are most WRs under Jimbo)

'19: Green (very good player but thought he was going to be better), Leal (great player), Cupp (can't stay healthy), Wright (transferred), Williams (meh), Richardson (decent to good player but thought he would be better), Young (bust so far). 

'20: It's too early to reach a conclusion on a lot of these guys but looks like it's definitely going to be a mixed bag between Jaylon Jones, Demas, Donell Harris, McKinnley Jackson, Antonio Johnson and Antonio Doyle. A couple good players and a few busts out of that group if you ask me but I need to see another year. 

How many out of those 15 players will end up producing like a top 100 recruit? Maybe 4 to 6 at best? 

35 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I'm betting he turns it around and makes you eat those words. 

I’m all for it. I’ve seen nothing that would remotely hint towards it, though. The wishcasting is real. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Mike at Night: New WR target, transfer portal notes

Mike Roach

Hide contents

Mike at Night: New WR target, transfer portal notes

Mike Roach

One other thing I can report is that Texas players have been active in reaching out to others. I was told Bijan Robinson, Xavier Worthy and Casey Thompson hit up several guys in the portal early on.

I thought Casey was supposedly telling teammates how he was for sure transferring at the end of the year?  If so, why would he try to get kids to transfer in?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

No, you've been sucking aggy dick for years. You were predicting them to have a huge year this season and shocking news they once again flopped. You even admitted in the aggy recruiting thread that you were dead wrong about aggy this season. Somehow you are now back to sucking their dick when you even admitted they were a huge disappointment this season. 

Also, why would I bet on a bowl game when I have no clue who aggy is playing and which players are sitting out? The point of the bet is that Jimbo is a 7-5 to 9-3 regular season coach which is why the bet is based on a full season. 

I have no fear of making the bet in '23 if you're willing to bet on '22. For as much aggy dick as you've been sucking, a 9-3 or better season in Jimbo's 5th year shouldn't be a huge ask. Again, if a coach at Texas was going into year 5 you would have a bleeding vagina if the projection was 9-3 or worse. For somebody that continues to suck aggy dick put your money where your mouth is for '22. Saying aggy is building a "powerhouse" while you're afraid to take a bet on a 9-3 season in year 5 of Jimbo is fucking hilarious and pathetic. 

So you've expressed to me over and over again how terrible this year's A&M team is, yet you're too scared to bet on them losing their bowl game?

You claiming you won't bet on them because you don't know who they'll play in the bowl game doesn't hold water considering you expect me to bet on next year's team without seeing who is on the team, what their schedule is, who's coaching, etc.? 

Do you see how all over the place you are you emotional twat? Only thing consistent about your silly rant/offer is the need to bring up sucking dick...a lot.

15 minutes ago, J.Peterman said:

I thought Casey was supposedly telling teammates how he was for sure transferring at the end of the year?  If so, why would he try to get kids to transfer in?

I have a feeling a good part of the bad teammate and locker room cancer noise is 995er BS 

70% chance a healthy Casey is next years starter. 

Edited by ONE YARD
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

So you've expressed to me over and over again how terrible this year's A&M team is, yet you're too scared to bet on them losing their bowl game?

You claiming you won't bet on them because you don't know who they'll play in the bowl game doesn't hold water considering you expect me to bet on next year's team without seeing who is on the team, what their schedule is, who's coaching, etc.? 

Do you see how all over the place you are you emotional twat? Only thing consistent about your silly rant/offer is the need to bring up sucking dick...a lot.

I've said they're a 7-5, 8-4 or 9-3 team like Jimbo has produced almost every year going on a decade. I'm not convinced you can read. You don't understand why I'm betting on a full season rather than an individual game. The entire point is that Jimbo is a 7-5 to a 9-3 regular season coach which everyone was telling you prior to this season. That didn't stop you from running your mouth about aggy finishing 11-1 (great call btw). 

Yes, I expect you to bet on next years team. You've been arguing that aggy is building a powerhouse and now you want to see what their roster, schedule, and coaching looks like next season? Give me a fucking break. It's year 5 of Jimbo and if you're scared they will lose 3 or more games next year maybe you should stop sucking their dick. 

Being called an "emotional twat" by you is a compliment. You're one of the worst posters on this board and too big of a pussy to take a bet on a team you've been telling us is a powerhouse. Grow a pair or shut the fuck up. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I've said they're a 7-5, 8-4 or 9-3 team like Jimbo has produced almost every year going on a decade. I'm not convinced you can read. You don't understand why I'm betting on a full season rather than an individual game. The entire point is that Jimbo is a 7-5 to a 9-3 regular season coach which everyone was telling you prior to this season. That didn't stop you from running your mouth about aggy finishing 11-1 (great call btw). 

Yes, I expect you to bet on next years team. You've been arguing that aggy is building a powerhouse and now you want to see what their roster, schedule, and coaching looks like next season? Give me a fucking break. It's year 5 of Jimbo and if you're scared they will lose 3 or more games next year maybe you should stop sucking their dick. 

Being called an "emotional twat" by you is a compliment. You're one of the worst posters on this board and too big of a pussy to take a bet on a team you've been telling us is a powerhouse. Grow a pair or shut the fuck up. 

My nuts are on the table. $1000 on the bowl game - I don't even want your dick sucking money so all of it goes to NIL. We can then revisit the '22 wager in the summer. Deal? 

22 minutes ago, bevotee said:

A guy with a foot out the door doesn't play the last meaningless game with an injured thumb and an OL that gets him pasted on every passing down.

Honestly I don't get the Casey hate.  Sure he made mistakes, but he carried us against OU, was the only reason we were in the KU game, and before he was injured he looked like a Heisman candidate.  All that with 1 WR, no OL, and a running game that vanished when we needed it.  He's no Vince or Colt, but he's better than either of the QBs who led their teams to the B12 CG.

nathan fillion castle GIF

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Donte Williams was his primary recruiter. He’s available for hire

Is this known? Could Riley bring in Manning at a NON-DB coaching position?

Idiotic of Riley to let Williams go. I'd love Williams at OU, but I bet he may get a DC job somewhere.

12 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

SMU fan trying to cancel Samples. 

Need the FBI to get involved and put Samples behind bars. He needs to be pulled off the road tomorrow, especially if he’s visiting any Texas targets.

/s

always

delete

your

tweet

history

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, RGBIII said:

This.

The fucking Death Star has begun its construction but everyone is mad because a couple of Ewoks decided to fuck off to Alderaan. If you don’t speak nerd….things are good irrespective of what a couple 17 year olds do today

The Death Star got blown up

6 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I think if he has to compete for QB1 he is going to transfer.

Then he might as well put his name in and go.  Sark has made it abundantly clear that there will be an open competition and is openly using the press to more or less beg for kids to portal here for a chance to play.  Surely he and his dad can see that.  Something just seems off about the whole thing.  Not sure what it is. 

If he's a true cancer, I would hope that the coaches make it abundantly clear that he needs to find somewhere else to go.  If he is on the team next spring, I'm rooting like hell that he improves and is healthy.  I don't care if it's Casey, Card, or someone not even on our radar yet who drives this train, but I'm sick of losing.  The one thing we need more than anything is an open competition.  If he thinks he's earned a guaranteed starting job, well then that's insane.     

10 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

I'd be happy to have a re-thumbed Casey Thompson + slightly smarter Card.  

We were a "slightly better defense" and a "better QB (for the second two-thirds of the year)" away from being a nine or ten win team.

if we go into next year with Thompson/Card/Ballard/Lourd/Wright as our QB room, we are so boned.

edit: forgot Murphy

Edited by NoName

7 hours ago, bevotee said:

A guy with a foot out the door doesn't play the last meaningless game with an injured thumb and an OL that gets him pasted on every passing down.

Honestly I don't get the Casey hate.  Sure he made mistakes, but he carried us against OU, was the only reason we were in the KU game, and before he was injured he looked like a Heisman candidate.  All that with 1 WR, no OL, and a running game that vanished when we needed it.  He's no Vince or Colt, but he's better than either of the QBs who led their teams to the B12 CG.

I think it is called honest evaluation

Name   Yards/Att TD Int Rating   Yards/G
1 Oklahoma State 6.2 9 8 111.93   187.8
2 Baylor   7.6 12 12 127.88   228.8
3 Iowa State 7.1 19 10 134.03   187.3
4 Kansas State 7.3 12 9 135.53   221.7
5 Texas   7.1 16 7 137.92   224
6 West Virginia 7.4 17 8 138.01   220.1
7 Oklahoma 7.6 23 10 143.71   258.1
8 Texas Tech 8 28 9 152.35   266.4
9 TCU   9.3 20 10 157.69   239.8
10 Kansas   9 27 7 170.19   236.4

That is passing defense in the Big 12

Vs Defenses 7-10

Casey was 80-122, 65.6%, 1191 yards, 9.76 per att, 17TDS, and 3 Picks

Now defenses 1-6

Casey was 61-108, 54.5%, 660 yards, 6.11 per att, 4 TDs, and 5 Ints

Pretty obvious to see that Casey put up big numbers vs terrible defenses. Anytime faced with a solid defense, he folded like a lawn chair. 

Ka

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think it is called honest evaluation

Name   Yards/Att TD Int Rating   Yards/G
1 Oklahoma State 6.2 9 8 111.93   187.8
2 Baylor   7.6 12 12 127.88   228.8
3 Iowa State 7.1 19 10 134.03   187.3
4 Kansas State 7.3 12 9 135.53   221.7
5 Texas   7.1 16 7 137.92   224
6 West Virginia 7.4 17 8 138.01   220.1
7 Oklahoma 7.6 23 10 143.71   258.1
8 Texas Tech 8 28 9 152.35   266.4
9 TCU   9.3 20 10 157.69   239.8
10 Kansas   9 27 7 170.19   236.4

That is passing defense in the Big 12

Vs Defenses 7-10

Casey was 80-122, 65.6%, 1191 yards, 9.76 per att, 17TDS, and 3 Picks

Now defenses 1-6

Casey was 61-108, 54.5%, 660 yards, 6.11 per att, 4 TDs, and 5 Ints

Pretty obvious to see that Casey put up big numbers vs terrible defenses. Anytime faced with a solid defense, he folded like a lawn chair. 

Ka

The thumb and good defenses kind of went hand and hand this year.

QBR/Rating - prior to thumb: 79/182; after thumb: 43/105

I guess what stands out is that he underperformed TCU's average prior to hurting his thumb.  He outperformed BU, KU, KSU averages after hurting his thumb (but he clearly wasn't throwing the ball as well in these games -  so fuck stats?).

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, bevotee said:

Speaking of wishcasting... A running game that "vanished?" It vanished because teams loaded the box against us with impunity and attacked our running game downhill all year, because they had zero fear of Casey's arm and didn't mind getting beat 1-on-1 on deep balls.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting