Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

i011_th_fox_grapes.jpg

I didn't like him as a take beforehand and said so. I did not celebrate his commitment because I thought he didn't have the athleticism needed for LB and spinning down was unlikely given how man DL are in this class.  Look at his film. He doesn't move well and he's already in the 240's without much bad weight.  I don't see the upside.  Could he blossom in college S&C? Of course. Such things are not predictable... however, I just don't see it here. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/11480164/61474cafbd6ba708a4364a43

Edited by RabidM

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He got pulled in because of bags. 

They don’t even have a defensive coordinator. No 5 star caliber recruit is committing to a school with no coordinator unless he’s getting a massive paycheck. 

Wasn't there talk about him getting a land rover from ag?    

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

LBs seem to be one of the more obtainable things from the portal.

This. And it sucks to lose any guy, but Kobie isn’t necessarily an ideal LB fit for this defense. But if he’s at ousux, you can be sure we are gonna light him up making him defend the pass.  

Re: replacing Kobie:

Red has too good of hands and route running to be an LB. His value is APB. He is the Jamarion Miller replacement. He also has value as a wildcat if Sark starts seeing that as an ongoing wrinkle. I like the idea of 210-pounders who can do standing backflips on offense. 

TJ Dudley would be ideal.

Tea leaves, I could see the Terrance Gibbs offer being the staff front-running the Kobie de-commitment. Gibbs has LB snaps on tape, his coach has said he plays D and O, and looks like he's around 210-215, if not more. Let him develop as an LB while he heals from the injury. Still don't like the take. 

I think we take also take an LB portal. I loved the UNLV guy's tape. Staff will probably be patient until after NSD2. 

Longshots would be Jacoby Mathews or Perkins, both tweeners. Not holding my breath. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The problem I have with Kobie is that the coaches didn’t even want him. The recruit himself asked them for the offer and our coaches still wanted nothing to do with it but were finally talked into it by all parties. We need to have a strategy for backups going forward. We seemed lost last week. We are getting help on OL thanks to Cristobal leaving and at QB with Ewers but there has to be a plan next year for top kids and how we handled secondary targets. 

Edited by Dr. Teeth

2 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

The problem I have with Kobie is that the coaches didn’t even want him. The recruit himself talked them into it and our coaches still wanted nothing to do with it but were finally talked into it by all parties. We need to have a strategy for backups going forward. We seemed lost last week. We are getting help on OL thanks to Cristobal leaving and at QB with Ewers but there has to be a plan next year for top kids and how we handled secondary targets. 

Not sure this staff believes in secondary targets when it comes to recruiting. I think they'd rather go to the portal at that point and that is probably the correct approach in this current cfb climate. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Not sure this staff believes in secondary targets when it comes to recruiting. I think they'd rather go to the portal at that point and that is probably the correct approach in this current cfb climate. 

That's what it looks like. Why take a flyer on a kid when you can get a transfer with college tape that you know if he can contribute or not and wants some of that sweet NIL dough.

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, you’ve actually started businesses. How can you think organizing, creating structure, raising legitimate capital, having legal review and recruiting help is something that just gets spun up? We’ve had multiple other alumni bases reach out for help on getting going because crafting the seed concepts and source code are hard to pull from the ether. 

The aggies will get there, as will about 15 other groups, but they’re going to be reluctant to abandon their newly built infrastructure and competitive advantage in the dark market. But within two years, yes, water will have found its correct level everywhere. There’s a reason the LHF is still the gold standard in the adjacent space though. Few programs have the breadth, depth, total wealth and affinity of the Texas alumni and fanbases. Anyway, don’t expect Texas folks to stop, so, they’re going to have to catch us if they can. hi 

I know there’s actual infrastructure in what y’all are doing. And I don’t know where the money all comes from in the bag game, but if I were a guy passing the hat for 50k for Evan Stewart’s bag I could offer him 50k instead in NIL immediately couldn’t I?  Or set up an NFT or an autographing thing more or less immediately with no work, right?  What would stop them from operating as one offs (like 5 or 7 of them in the year) legally, in this manner while they were getting their NIL program set up I guess, is what I’m trying to ask. 

• Like 1

Harris? Who helped stuff Lendale White?

But also helped allow him to rush for 100+ yards and 3 TDs. Actually just rewatched Harris did little on the play to stop the 4th down.

Harris was the #3 tackler on the team followed by Killebrew and Bobino was a few spots down the list.

Harris
Killebrew
Bobino

Interestingly enough they had 10 sacks between them.

We had NFL talent all over the front 4 albeit no stud pass rushers. Our LbBer talent is probably better than 2005. Our front 4 is not so much.

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

But also helped allow him to rush for 100+ yards and 3 TDs. Actually just rewatched Harris did little on the play to stop the 4th down.

Harris was the #3 tackler on the team followed by Killebrew and Bobino was a few spots down the list.

Harris
Killebrew
Bobino

Interestingly enough they had 10 sacks between them.

We had NFL talent all over the front 4 albeit no stud pass rushers. Our LbBer talent is probably better than 2005. Our front 4 is not so much.

Our LB talent is better now? That's bold, ha.

Kelson Harris and…muckelroy?

I think Kelson was somewhat a hybrid but didn’t play all that much. Well, he played a decent amount but less so than Harris, Killebrew and Bobino.

We need a dominant front 4 and playmaking backend, and we can find guys to clean up the middle. That should be our priorities and concerns in recruiting.

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I think Kelson was somewhat a hybrid but didn’t play all that much. Well, he played a decent amount but less so than Harris, Killebrew and Bobino.

We need a dominant front 4 and playmaking backend, and we can find guys to clean up the middle. That should be our priorities and concerns in recruiting.

Kelson earned his scholarship in the NC game, when he blanketed Reggie Bush on that wheel route. He was nails. 

Edited by Junior Bonner
  • Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting