Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Roach's take makes no sense if you believe that Texas is sitting well with Devon Campbell. Given that Texas has two IOL committed, they're most certainly recruiting Neto at OT.

Given how OL recruiting has gone so far, I appreciate the staff keeping warm other recruits that show genuine interest

2 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Ari is actually a really good get for them

this is certainly a group of folks...

[Cole] Patterson joins Orangebloods immediately as its new football and basketball recruiting reporter after carving out a name for himself covering Mississippi State as the owner/creator of Tru Maroon Nation (@TruMaroonNation). As a 2020 graduate of Mississippi State, the Texas native has spent years developing in the recruiting industry, first as a student assistant and social media coordinator for the Coffeyville Community College Football program and then as a student recruiting assistant for the Mississippi State football program. In addition to assisting in the recruitments of multiple Top-25 recruiting classes for the Bulldogs, Patterson was responsible for breaking down film, writing scouting reports, assisting on official visits and generally being involved on every level of the recruiting process within the program.

and

[Ari] Temkin joins Orangebloods as a college football insider for the website, but he'll also be instrumental in our plans to develop the Orangebloods Youtube channel into a powerhouse. Temkin's first unofficial relationship with the site began back in 2008 when he worked with former Orangebloods staff member Sean Adams on The Adams Theory on 104.9 FM The Horn and over the course of the last decade, he's emerged as one of the top media voices in the state of Texas. In addition to hosting Big 12 This Morning on Sirius XM, he's been involved with game-day coverage of the Dallas Cowboys broadcast network, among other assignments in recent years.

and

[Keenan] Womack will join Orangebloods on August 1st as its new lead reporter for men's basketball. A recent 2019 graduate from The University of Texas, Womack has been producing hoops-related content for sites such as Almighty Baller, Bleacher Report and SB Nation. Most recently, Womack has been supervising a site that he launched called Dallas Dimes, which focused on articles and podcasts covering the Dallas Mavericks.

their youtube channel currently has 418 subs and their last video was 6 years ago so they certainly have nowhere to go but up.

Gerry Interview with Kam Dewberry

Kam Dewberry breaks down recruiting
The Texas Longhorns staff remains in the hunt of a number of nationally recruited offensive line prospects. One of those is Atascocita High offensive tackle Kam Dewberry.

On Monday after an Atascocita workout, the 6-foot-4, 315-pound tackle with an over 80-inch wingspan and 10.5-inch hands sat down for a Q&A with Inside Texas.

Inside Texas: The hot topic in recruiting in the state of Texas right now is Oklahoma and Texas headed to the SEC. Does that change the way you look at either program?

Kam Dewberry: Not really. I don’t think it would really change how I think about the programs. It’s good news to hear that Oklahoma and Texas are going to the SEC because I think they are that caliber. Especially Oklahoma with them winning all those Big 12 titles in the last few years. All those teams that say Oklahoma and Texas can’t compete in the SEC, they both get to show up and do it now.

IT: You have always said that Ohio State was your favorite growing up. Did the reality meet the perception on your visit?

KD: When I visited it was crazy. It was way more than I thought it would be as far as the school, culture and everybody around the school. It was really, really good.

IT: What are your thoughts looking back on your official to Texas A&M?

KD: It was fun, you know. My host was Kenyon Green, and we are really close. I had a good time as far as them prioritizing me. Texas A&M and Texas are the schools really, really prioritizing me. It was a lot of fun with my family.

IT: How was the visit to LSU. It was a different weekend to be visiting with the change in OL coach.

KD: It was different. I wish I had the opportunity to connect with Coach Brad Davis. He had already been recruiting me when he was at Arkansas, so I had been knowing him. The dude is phenomenal as a man, and I wish I had got to actually sit down and meet with him. But LSU was great. Coach O was great, and he connected with my family really, really well.

IT: What are your thoughts on the visit to Texas?

KD: It was amazing. I had met Coach (Jeff) Banks before, but it was my first time meeting Coach Sarkisian. They connected to my family well too. It was a great all around visit because they prioritized me, and my family.

IT: You have the official visits to Oklahoma and Texas during the season. Do you also plan to get out to games at the other schools in contention?

KD: I’m definitely going to anOhio State game, Alabama at Texas A&M for sure, and an LSU game. Of course, my visits to Oklahoma and Texas will be game weekends.

IT: How would you define Ohio State football?

KD: Tradition. Tradition. Tradition. It’s always been the same as when I was kid and began watching Ohio State football.”

IT: How would you define LSU football?

KD: Family. I think of Coach O, and all the coaches on staff connected with my family at LSU.

IT: Same question about Texas A&M.

KD: SEC. SEC and the state of Texas. That’s what I think of most. There is no other school in Texas in the SEC.

IT: What stands out about Oklahoma Sooners football?

KD: NFL, as far as offensive linemen. Continuing to develop guys, and get them to the league impresses me when thinking about Oklahoma.

IT: How would you describe Texas football?

KD: There is a lot when I think of UT. I would say tradition, like at Ohio State. A culture. And a lifestyle they have at UT.

IT: Who are the “cool schools” in college football in your opinion?

KD: Cool? I like OU and Ohio State for top football prospects. Those are the main two I think about.

IT: What has surprised you in a bad way about the recruiting process?

KD: I feel the stress of it. My phone is getting blown up constantly. Coaches calling over, and over again. And the fact that I just don’t know where I want to go, or what I want to do. It’s hard, and creates some anxiousness.

IT: Before June, was there a school or two that you were leaning toward? And has that changed?

KD: I do feel like I was leaning to two schools before the process, but now that I have been around my eyes have been opened. There are opportunities everywhere.

IT: Not asking about a singular school, but how much is name, image and likeness a part of the recruiting pitch now?

KD: It’s big. I try to not think about it too much because if you just ball it will come your way. If you do your job and ball, it doesn’t matter when school you go to. It will come your way.

IT: When you sit down at the table with the people in your circle to make a decision, what will it come down to?

KD: It will come down to development. Family, and where I be able to connect God to and become better as a person, and a player.

IT: If I asked your mom what was important to her in the recruiting process, what would she say?

KD: She wants to be able to be somewhere they can take care of her baby. As far as academics, somewhere I’m not going to get chewed up and spit out. Somewhere they will take care of me as a person, and help me grow as a man.

IT: Is there any peer pressure to pick a certain school? Either within your team at Atascocita, or players that have come before you at the school?

KD: Not really. Everyone has to do what is best for themselves. Even though I’m close with Kenyon Green, he doesn’t try and pressure me. When Sam Cosmi was at Texas, he didn’t try and pressure Kenyon Green. We all know that the decision will be what is best for each of us.

IT: You have said a decision is likely in December. Is that still the same?

KD: The latest is early signing day. It could be earlier, but December is the latest.

27 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Ohio State it is. 

I am surprised he hasn't already committed. Even without Ohio State, he doesn't sound too high on Texas. Losing targets to Oregon really hurt. We need to get those guys back home.

16 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

not exactly

that account is at 3.7k followers fwiw

this is the one i was talking about, where i am guessing they lost the pw lol

https://www.youtube.com/user/OrangebloodsTV/featured

DescriptionOrangebloods.com is the leading source for all things Texas Longhorns.

Joined Dec 16, 2011

vs their new account:

DescriptionThe leading source of all things Texas Longhorns. Orangebloods.com is home to the most active, largest online community of Texas fans, and its staff has created the standard for Longhorns coverage for well over a decade. Part of the Rivals.com Network under Yahoo! Sports.

Joined Apr 18, 2021

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

its almost like making your league a huge part of your sell to recruits was a bad move.

oh no bad idea GIF by Vanity Fair

Well, in the same interview he said it didn't really make a difference that UT and OU were moving to the SEC.

5 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

So how much of a boost to our west coast recruiting do y’all think the move to the SEC will have. Could we pitch “Want to play in the SEC but don’t want to live in a backwater Dixie town? Then come represent the burnt orange still get to live in Austin.”

A lot and yes exactly. "Want to play in the SEC, but enjoy Cali lifestyle and btw we are one of maybe 3 places that have direct flights?"

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It's interesting because that one is flipped from the one UT posted.  Did this guy shop it, or did OU and UT post the same thing but with signatures/seals flipped?

image.thumb.png.5f586779d7d5cac767a2207d4cf7aecf.png

Hartzell doesn't even sign his last name?

Crystal Ballin: Like it, Love it, Leave it
MIKE ROACH

Spoiler

MIKE ROACH

The 2022 recruiting cycle has been one of the most unpredictable recruiting classes in a while.

While Texas currently holds the No. 10 class in the country, there are many big targets still on the board for Texas. While Steve Sarkisian and his staff hope to sign a strong class that could help them moving forward, the Longhorns face more opposition than ever before.

With the high school and college seasons set to kick off and recruitments moving into the final stages for 2022 while heating up in 2023, it’s time to re-evaluate some current 247Sports Crystal Ball picks and see where things stand at the moment.

In this edition of Crystal Ballin: Like it, Love it, Leave it, I check back on current picks and give an update on my confidence with each selection.

Shazz Preston, WR, St. James (La.)

Current Pick: LSU

Alabama remains a school to watch in this recruitment, but it’s tough to bet against LSU for an in-state kid.  The Tigers have a natural advantage and should be able to close the deal if their fall season doesn’t go down the tubes.  If that does happen, the Tide will be a major factor and Texas remains on the periphery with a chance to land him in the fall.

Derrick Brown, EDGE, Texarkana Texas High

Current Pick: Texas

With Brown set to make his decision on July 31 and a visit to Texas upcoming on July 30, it’s fair to say Texas is in the driver’s seat here. The Longhorns have been pursuing Brown with fervor as he’s one of the top edge rushers in the state of Texas in this cycle. Baylor surged into a strong position for a time, but Texas seems to have overcome them for now and his visit to Austin should only solidify that position.

Brenen Thompson, WR, Spearman

Heading into the summer, Texas was in a strong position for Thompson and it appeared that only Oklahoma State would be its competition. While that’s still the case, Oregon is also a player, and that alone should give anyone making a prediction pause. With Oregon now a major player and 4 visits scheduled, Alabama or Clemson could get the last one. Texas would have probably preferred this stay between the Longhorns and Ducks, but Texas will get a shot in September on an official visit, and they remain a close-to-home option for Thompson.

Jeremy Patton, LB, Tenaha

Sources have remained confident in landing Patton after hosting him during the first week of June. Baylor and Michigan have both made some noise as well, but Texas seems to be in position to close, especially if they land fellow east Texan Derrick Brown. Patton is slated to make his way to Austin this week, and Texas needs to get the blessing of his mother who wasn’t able to make the first visit with him.

Sebastian Cheeks, LB, Evanston (IL.) Township

Current Pick: North Carolina

North Carolina is the school with the most buzz going into Cheeks’ decision, and the Tar Heels look poised to win him over. Texas battled in this race for a while and at one time seemed to be surging, but dynamics of his recruitment changed with a family illness. North Carolina’s visit set a high bar for him and they will likely reap the rewards.

Arlis Boardingham, ATH, Van Nuys (Calif.) Birmingham

Before Boardingham made his visit, it looked like Texas would get him if they wanted to push. At this point, I feel Texas is moving in another direction at the tight end position. Jeff Banks appears to be all in on Jaleel Skinner and is comfortable with the tight end depth currently on campus. Perhaps they could circle back to Boardingham, but I believe their priorities lie elsewhere at the moment. I’m lowering my confidence in this pick to a 1.

Bryce Anderson, S, Beaumont West Brook

Despite Texas A&M making a furious push for Anderson, there’s still enough in this recruitment to keep me on my pick. Anderson keeps delaying his decision which originally was supposed to happen in April will now go to September and possibly further. There’s still a lot that can shake out here, but I’m not ready to move off the Texas pick at the moment.

Evan Stewart WR, Frisco Liberty

After Stewart made his decommitment from Texas, I never put in a different pick. Part of that was waiting for another school to emerge but a big part was a sincere belief that Texas can still win this recruitment. Deep down I feel that Stewart still feels strongly about Texas but is waiting on Texas to show him that it’s the best move going forward. Florida, LSU and Alabama are all schools to watch as well, but I haven’t heard enough to change my pick to anyone.

Ernest Cooper, DE, Arlington Martin

Current Pick: Stanford (Changing to Texas A&M)

Cooper was extremely high on Stanford in the spring, but I believe Texas A&M has done the best job recruiting him since that time. While Stanford is still very much in the conversation, the buzz is that Cooper would pick the Aggies if he decided today. Combining that with a timeline that likely comes before the season starts gives me the feeling that the Aggies are the safe pick.

Denver Harris, CB, North Shore

It’s becoming apparent that this race is coming down to Alabama and Texas.  While this pick was put in during a different time and place in Texas recruiting, I’ve held onto it because I don’t have a compelling reason to change it at the moment.  This could come down to his desire to stay close to home or leave.  Texas is the clear stay-at-home option, and they’ve done a good job with his family.  Like Anderson, I don’t have enough to change it.

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington Martin

My feelings about this pick are less about what Texas has done and more about other schools catching up.  In the spring there was some significant buzz that Toviano could make a quick decision and Texas was leading at the time.  While I still think the Longhorns are among the top schools for the athletic corner, Oklahoma has been able to make a big impression along with Texas A&M.  I’m leaving my pick on Texas but lowering confidence to a 2.

• Hook 'Em 1

This is a mistake by our staff. I don't think we will land Skinner. We need a LB as well as a TE and Boardingham would not scare off Skinner. We are relying on the SEC move to bring in new guys who may not have considered us previously but will it actually happen? We've seen the staff get overconfident in the past.

Before Boardingham made his visit, it looked like Texas would get him if they wanted to push. At this point, I feel Texas is moving in another direction at the tight end position. Jeff Banks appears to be all in on Jaleel Skinner and is comfortable with the tight end depth currently on campus. Perhaps they could circle back to Boardingham, but I believe their priorities lie elsewhere at the moment. I’m lowering my confidence in this pick to a 1.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Getafix said:

MIKE ROACH

Hide contents

MIKE ROACH

The 2022 recruiting cycle has been one of the most unpredictable recruiting classes in a while.

While Texas currently holds the No. 10 class in the country, there are many big targets still on the board for Texas. While Steve Sarkisian and his staff hope to sign a strong class that could help them moving forward, the Longhorns face more opposition than ever before.

With the high school and college seasons set to kick off and recruitments moving into the final stages for 2022 while heating up in 2023, it’s time to re-evaluate some current 247Sports Crystal Ball picks and see where things stand at the moment.

In this edition of Crystal Ballin: Like it, Love it, Leave it, I check back on current picks and give an update on my confidence with each selection.

Alabama remains a school to watch in this recruitment, but it’s tough to bet against LSU for an in-state kid.  The Tigers have a natural advantage and should be able to close the deal if their fall season doesn’t go down the tubes.  If that does happen, the Tide will be a major factor and Texas remains on the periphery with a chance to land him in the fall.

With Brown set to make his decision on July 31 and a visit to Texas upcoming on July 30, it’s fair to say Texas is in the driver’s seat here. The Longhorns have been pursuing Brown with fervor as he’s one of the top edge rushers in the state of Texas in this cycle. Baylor surged into a strong position for a time, but Texas seems to have overcome them for now and his visit to Austin should only solidify that position.

Heading into the summer, Texas was in a strong position for Thompson and it appeared that only Oklahoma State would be its competition. While that’s still the case, Oregon is also a player, and that alone should give anyone making a prediction pause. With Oregon now a major player and 4 visits scheduled, Alabama or Clemson could get the last one. Texas would have probably preferred this stay between the Longhorns and Ducks, but Texas will get a shot in September on an official visit, and they remain a close-to-home option for Thompson.

Sources have remained confident in landing Patton after hosting him during the first week of June. Baylor and Michigan have both made some noise as well, but Texas seems to be in position to close, especially if they land fellow east Texan Derrick Brown. Patton is slated to make his way to Austin this week, and Texas needs to get the blessing of his mother who wasn’t able to make the first visit with him.

North Carolina is the school with the most buzz going into Cheeks’ decision, and the Tar Heels look poised to win him over. Texas battled in this race for a while and at one time seemed to be surging, but dynamics of his recruitment changed with a family illness. North Carolina’s visit set a high bar for him and they will likely reap the rewards.

Despite Texas A&M making a furious push for Anderson, there’s still enough in this recruitment to keep me on my pick. Anderson keeps delaying his decision which originally was supposed to happen in April will now go to September and possibly further. There’s still a lot that can shake out here, but I’m not ready to move off the Texas pick at the moment.

After Stewart made his decommitment from Texas, I never put in a different pick. Part of that was waiting for another school to emerge but a big part was a sincere belief that Texas can still win this recruitment. Deep down I feel that Stewart still feels strongly about Texas but is waiting on Texas to show him that it’s the best move going forward. Florida, LSU and Alabama are all schools to watch as well, but I haven’t heard enough to change my pick to anyone.

Cooper was extremely high on Stanford in the spring, but I believe Texas A&M has done the best job recruiting him since that time. While Stanford is still very much in the conversation, the buzz is that Cooper would pick the Aggies if he decided today. Combining that with a timeline that likely comes before the season starts gives me the feeling that the Aggies are the safe pick.

It’s becoming apparent that this race is coming down to Alabama and Texas.  While this pick was put in during a different time and place in Texas recruiting, I’ve held onto it because I don’t have a compelling reason to change it at the moment.  This could come down to his desire to stay close to home or leave.  Texas is the clear stay-at-home option, and they’ve done a good job with his family.  Like Anderson, I don’t have enough to change it.

My feelings about this pick are less about what Texas has done and more about other schools catching up.  In the spring there was some significant buzz that Toviano could make a quick decision and Texas was leading at the time.  While I still think the Longhorns are among the top schools for the athletic corner, Oklahoma has been able to make a big impression along with Texas A&M.  I’m leaving my pick on Texas but lowering confidence to a 2.

This article construct would make a lot more sense if CB's locked in and he couldn't just switch them or their confidence levels

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Getafix said:

MIKE ROACH

Hide contents

MIKE ROACH

we can and have discussed ad nauseam the value of a Texas vs Stanford degree

the only, literal ONLY reason to pick A&M over Stanford is if you didn't, can't and won't get into Stanford

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This is a mistake by our staff. I don't think we will land Skinner. We need a LB as well as a TE and Boardingham would not scare off Skinner. We are relying on the SEC move to bring in new guys who may not have considered us previously but will it actually happen? We've seen the staff get overconfident in the past.

You seem to be assuming we’re passing on Boardingham only because of Skinner. It’s possible they decided Boardingham wasn’t a take on his own merit and then moved on to other options. 

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You seem to be assuming we’re passing on Boardingham only because of Skinner. It’s possible they decided Boardingham wasn’t a take on his own merit and then moved on to other options. 

I'm basing it more on assuming that he was a take and then we cooled on him. Sydney may be right though - If we take Boardingham's word that he only wants to play tight end and not linebacker and then determined he had shitty hands, then it all makes sense.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting