Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

With regards to Anderson, not sure where the confidence is coming from.  From reading the tea leaves, seems like he gave us a silent and then also gave Jimbo a silent after he made 3-4 trips to college station.  He's pushed his decision back multiple times and proceeded to visit aggy each time.  Him pushing back his commitment again to see if Texas will play in the SEC should spell it out for you.   Seems like he's planning on committing to aggy based on their entire sales pitch of playing in the SEC.  Seems like now that Texas may be playing in the conference in 2022, it may swing back in our favor.  We need the SEC move to become final and the school needs to push to play in the conference next year regardless of whatever exit fee we may have to pay or settle for.  

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

With regards to Anderson, not sure where the confidence is coming from.  From reading the tea leaves, seems like he gave us a silent and then also gave Jimbo a silent after he made 3-4 trips to college station.  He's pushed his decision back multiple times and proceeded to visit aggy each time.  Him pushing back his commitment again to see if Texas will play in the SEC should spell it out for you.   Seems like he's planning on committing to aggy based on their entire sales pitch of playing in the SEC.  Seems like now that Texas may be playing in the conference in 2022, it may swing back in our favor.  We need the SEC move to become final and the school needs to push to play in the conference next year regardless of whatever exit fee we may have to pay or settle for.  

Seems like you answered your own question.

59 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Patton and Brown at the end of the month, with Bryant potentially end of august. Maybe we can sway Anderson early. Theres a good chance to pick up momentum. I don't think most of the bigger fish out there are going to commit without seeing the product unfortunately.

Any chance Baylor beats us out for Patton or Brown? 😆

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Looks more tan than orange.

just quoting you but here is tennessee orange:

UT-Orange-1.png

Spoiler

Tennessee Orange

CMYK 0 50 100 0
HEX FF8200
RGB 255 130 0
PMS 151

here is burnt orange:

zCjCgRJt

Spoiler
Burnt Orange
Pantone® PMS 159
CMYK 0, 65, 100, 9
RGB/Hex 191, 87, 0 #bf5700

side by side:
UT-Orange-1.pngzCjCgRJt

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

just quoting you but here is tennessee orange:

UT-Orange-1.png

Reveal hidden contents

Tennessee Orange

CMYK 0 50 100 0
HEX FF8200
RGB 255 130 0
PMS 151

here is burnt orange:

zCjCgRJt

Reveal hidden contents
Burnt Orange
Pantone® PMS 159
CMYK 0, 65, 100, 9
RGB/Hex 191, 87, 0 #bf5700

side by side:
UT-Orange-1.pngzCjCgRJt

Manny's suit resembles neither, but I think it would be closer to ours. Or I'm color blind.

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

@closetojumping I hope you have your sec themed title change locked and loaded for next week.   Movin’ on up or SouthEastbound and Down, whatever it may be.  

Been thinking about it. Want to have something that stings. Whether that stings us or someone else, I'm kind of indifferent about, so I'll keep thinking.

Edited by closetojumping

The Stampede: How the SEC move can impact Texas recruiting immediately
MIKE ROACH

Spoiler

MIKE ROACH

If you haven’t heard, Texas and Oklahoma are considering a move that would shake the foundation of college football by jumping the Big 12 ship and making a bid to join the SEC.

With such monumental news happening, we of course started to examine how it might alter recruiting. Is this something to talk about in the hypothetical, or is it something that could have a major impact on the 2022 and 2023 classes?

Over the weekend, I tapped into a wide array of sources including former college coaches, personnel staffers, high school trainers and coaches and parents to talk about what this move could mean for Texas recruiting and the future of the Longhorn football program.

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we talk about what we’ve heard from sources around the country and how this move could help Texas almost immediately.

I spent some time over the weekend reaching out to college sources around the country.

With the news that Texas is looking to bolt the Big 12 and move to the SEC dominating the college football world, I decided to check the pulse of contacts from around the country.

The first source I spoke with has a long background of coaching and spent time in nearly every conference in football. Having recruited in just about every part of the country, this source said that the move would be a gamechanger for the Texas program.

“It’s epic,” the source told me. “Besides the NFL, no three letters mean more in football recruiting than SEC. It would basically be like the premier league and everyone else would just be kicking a ball around. Especially if they also added like Clemson and FSU.”

While the Longhorns have always had a lot in their favor to pitch, the elephant in the room has always been the conference. While Texas A&M received a boost from being able to sell the SEC while staying in state, Texas has always had to pitch around the obvious advantage the SEC has in the college football conversation.

“When I coached there, we never uttered the name of our school or mascot,” the same source said. “The only thing I ever said was SEC.”

Speaking of Texas A&M, their frustration with this move has been quite public since the news leaked. In talking with another coaching source, he understands the reluctance of the Longhorns’ in-state recruiting rival to stand by and let this happen.

“I’m sure they aren’t happy,” another coach said. “Yet again, A&M will go back to being little brother in 6-7 years. If I’m A&M I am fighting to the death on this one, but it still won’t matter.”

That same source acknowledged that this move will be the impetus to change the face of college football forever.

“This probably expedites big time college football programs telling the NCAA to take a hike, and they become their own entity in the next ten years.”

Another coach I spoke with who has experience at the college and high school level felt that Texas will have to adjust to a curve and get their roster in better shape before they are able to compete for conference championships.

“I’m not sure how it will be in the first few years,” a coaching source said.  “Skill positions could come right in and compete, but when we are talking offensive line and defensive line play, it’s two different worlds.

“It will be great for selling tickets and will help in recruiting for sure, but I’m not sure Texas can compete with the elite SEC programs for the next two years.  I also believe they will recruit less in state if they go that way.  They might be able to only recruit the top seven or eight players and try to bring in more national guys.”

A Big 12 coach I spoke with felt that with the transfer portal and a runway to recruit, Texas could turn around the roster quickly.

“I think it immediately works because the traditional blue blood has the ability to successfully nationally recruit with that SEC patch on the jersey crest,” the coach told me.  “They also get back into the Houston market by being able to add another Texas school to the fold.  I think Sark and a staff with an SEC background and connections will lessen the learning curve in recruiting.  It won’t take long to catch up and compete immediately.”

One recruiting source I spoke to in the state of Texas feels the potential move changes everything immediately.

“I think it changes the whole conversation,” this source said.  “Texas has done a great job securing the top in state recruits in the last few cycles, and that’s with being in an above average conference.  I believe that if Texas joins the SEC, the best nationally would really consider Texas, especially with Sark at the Helm.”

I also checked with a few recruits and their parents, and while few heard of this possibility ahead of time, I’m told by a source close to him that there were hints given to the Manning family recently.

Having talked to Manning and sources around him since the spring, I don’t believe the SEC was ever an ultimate dealbreaker for him. I think Texas, because of the relationship with Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee, was already in a strong position in this recruitment regardless.

Perhaps a move to the SEC helps solidify that position even more, but I don’t see it being a major factor. I think Texas is capable of winning this recruitment while being in the Big 12, and while a move to the SEC wouldn’t hurt it, I don’t believe it’s an instant game-changer for him.

Who could it be an instant game-changer for? A lot of that would have to do with the timing.

If Texas and Oklahoma had to wait until 2025 to make the jump, it probably won’t help at all with the 2022 class and would have very little to do with 2023. As Chip Brown has reported, the grant of rights ends in 2025, but if other schools left the Big 12 in hopes of finding other conferences, Texas could make the move by as early as 2022. If Texas and Oklahoma were able to make a quicker exit, it could make the close of this class very interesting.

Say for instance that Texas and OU are voted in as a result of either paying the buyout or the disbanding of the Big 12, they are able to join the SEC in 2022 or 2023.

If that’s the case, Texas can begin selling the opportunity to play in the SEC almost immediately. Five-star receiver Evan Stewart has been vocal about his excitement, and I believe it could swing some pivotal recruitments down the stretch.

It could be enough to put Texas over the top for Kam Dewberry who really likes Texas but loves the allure of the Big 12 or Big 10. It could be the difference for Bryce Anderson and Denver Harris who both have Texas as their top two with SEC programs.

It could definitely help a bit with Harold Perkins who loves the pitch the Longhorns have given him for position fit but values the power of the SEC as well. It could also potentially help Texas as they continue to try to regain ground in a recruitment for Omari Abor that seemed all but lost a few weeks ago.

2023 would be where we could see the biggest impact. I believe it would all but end the recruitment for Johntay Cook and could also help with major targets like David Hicks, Rueben Owens, Carnell Tate and several others.

Timing is everything right now. If Texas is able to get this done and push this recruiting pitch out soon, it could definitely change the outlook of this and the next class.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

but I hope we’re explaining to our recruits that it’s just legalese, and there is absolutely zero chance we are in the B12 through 2025, much less beyond ‘22 at the absolute latest

Nah. They'll completely ignore the question when recruits and their parents ask, and/or lie and say "Nah, won't be until 2025...OR MAYBE LATER!"

• Haha 1

Humidor

RECRUITING MATTERS

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (Allen, TX) - 2022: The 6-foot-4, 285-pound four-star is scheduled to see Austin today.

With 32 offers including Ohio State, LSU, Alabama, and Florida, he'll see UT for the first time since a student visit last spring. He took an unofficial to LSU on 6/25, and visited USC, a school he’s smitten with, in an official capacity on 6/18.

Texas knows how important in-state offensive line recruiting is in 2022 and getting Umeozulu back on campus could be a small win. Bringing his brother, 2024 DE Zina Umeozulu, who is an offer waiting to happen, is extra nice.

DL Quency Wiggins, Madison Prep (Baton Rouge, LA) - 2022: When the giant Baton Rouge native dropped his Top 5, UT was in it. Now, he'll see Austin on July 30th for the BBQ/pool party. It might be worth it to stay on the 6-foot-6, 274-pound four-star's radar. He's seen Alabama twice in June, and took unofficials to Florida and LSU as well.

LSU leads here but that doesn't mean you don't stay the course. Too much upside. Too much talent.

OL Kam Dewberry, Atascocita (Humble, TX) - 2022: The 6-foot-4, 313-pound offensive lineman will see Texas this fall for an official visit, he posted yesterday. That will be Dewberry’s fifth and final official visit with a trip to Oklahoma for September 17th weekend already scheduled.

This is big news from the big man out of Humble. With 32 offers in hand, LSU, Ohio State, OU, Texas A&M, and Alabama seem to be steering this ship. He took official visits to Baton Rouge, Columbus, and College Station in June, while sliding in an unofficial visit to Austin on June 12th.

As far as this weekend, Dewberry is a “maybe” for Texas July 30 and Texas A&M July 31. There has been a death in family, so availability to travel to one or both of the visits could be impacted.

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022: The East Texas edge-backer has a time for his July 31st announcement.

The 6-foot-4, 210-pound four-star will drop at 5pm (CT) with Texas and Baylor as the finalists. As of today Texas still looks good.

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Tenaha, TX) - 2022: Joining his fellow ETX brethren, Patton will also announce his decision at school on July 31st as well.

Another Texas-Baylor battle with Michigan playing three's company, the recent UT-to-SEC news might put the Horns over the top for the 6-foot-2, 210-pound inside linebacker.

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Spearman, TX) - 2022: Reports trickled out over the weekend about the four-star speedster taking an official visit to Texas in the fall, confirming our reporting along the way.

With Armani Winfield in the fold, and Evan Stewart trying on burnt orange SEC glasses in the mirror, the dynamic playmaker is still a focus for the Texas staff. It appears Texas A&M is creeping up on the west Texas receiver and making a solid claim for his services.

Getting him back to Austin this fall is imperative. Just like getting him on campus for an unofficial right before the dead period again in late June. Mom is a fan here and the Twin Turbos selling point now has an SEC tinge to it.

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek (Humble, TX): For those wondering about Texas and Kelvin Banks, IT can say Banks has spoken with Texas OL coach Kyle Flood and other staff members since his commitment to Oregon. The lines of communication remain open. Texas will be working to get Banks on campus this fall for a game.

DB Bryce Anderson, West Brook (Beaumont, TX): As IT reported Sunday, the 5-foot-11.5, 186-pounder with 10.55 speed is not expected to make a decision between Texas and Texas A&M in August, as of today. It’s more likely the versatile playmaker will wait to see when Texas will begin play in the SEC, as well as take in early season games at Texas and Texas A&M. IT continues to have Texas leading slightly headed into the July 30th and 31st trips to Texas and Texas A&M. Anderson is not tied to the hip of any single recruit, but he is monitoring where the trends are going with other top prospects in the class in-state.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

MIKE ROACH

Hide contents

The first source I spoke with has a long background of coaching and spent time in nearly every conference in football. Having recruited in just about every part of the country, this source said that the move would be a gamechanger for the Texas program.

“It’s epic,” the source told me. “Besides the NFL, no three letters mean more in football recruiting than SEC. It would basically be like the premier league and everyone else would just be kicking a ball around. Especially if they also added like Clemson and FSU.”

While the Longhorns have always had a lot in their favor to pitch, the elephant in the room has always been the conference. While Texas A&M received a boost from being able to sell the SEC while staying in state, Texas has always had to pitch around the obvious advantage the SEC has in the college football conversation.

“When I coached there, we never uttered the name of our school or mascot,” the same source said. “The only thing I ever said was SEC.”

Their source has to be Banks or Joseph

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

4E73C166-B10F-4022-8F11-750204BE6A7E.jpeg

The timing of Guilbeau’s de-commitment made absolutely no sense. Just a stunning lack of awareness. I know kids can get caught up, but an adult in his life should’ve stepped in and said just wait for a little bit longer.

• Hook 'Em 4

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting