Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No - I'm trying to figure out what the fuck it means to say that a high school junior hasn't won at any level.Ā  He wasn't successful enough in PeeWee?

1st of all, he isn't a junior, he is a senior. He is class of 22 which means he graduates this final year of school, which makes him a senior. It sucks he had to be in California and didn't get to play much last year. It sucks that he wasn't good enough to play much if at all as a sophomore at a shitty school. My entire point(which I think you are missing) as I was trying to rationalize to others why he slipped so far in the rankings. I believe I have made my point on that. The dude has verifiable intangibles, that is it. I also stated that I don't know shit so maybe we can just leave it at that. Have a nice day.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, ousux said:

Tbh I'm not a huge fan of this recent opting out of senior year of HS bullshit. Seems to me that could lead to players having a tantrum and opting out in the middle of a game. (As if that would ever happen, amirite?)

Having said that, still want Evan Stewart wearing burnt orange.

That OSU LB would like to have a word with you

5 minutes ago, LarryMoeSurly said:

So Evan Stewart is 22's Zach Evans/Bru McCoy/Ryan Perrilloux/etc/etc.Ā 

Touchy subject for sure. If it was me, I would try to avoid those situations. From my point of view, it's a really bad look. Maybe there is more to the story that hopefully the coaches know about. I'm pretty damn sure whomever is recruiting him has plenty of question for the High School coach before they accept his LOI.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Getafix said:

- In his one year-plus at QB, Card had 50 TDs ad 4 INTs (these are his junior stats; 24 TDs and 5 Ints in his injury-shortened senior season).Ā  At the 6A level.Ā  Stats aside, I believe he came in as a - supposedly - polished passer.

- And Card played WR his junior Ā sophomore season (and ran quite a bit, as a QB). > 1,100 yards and > 600 yards, respectively.Ā  MM has rushed for 61 yards to date (Max Preps).

Ā 

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

When you're a high school junior what levels matter?Ā  What levels don't matter?Ā  How many fucking levels are there?

He chose to play for his local public Ā private school instead of playing for one of the numerous football powerhouses that recruit the state.Ā  As the poster above mentioned - they went 4-2 in a COVID shortened season.

That's better

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Y'all sure do know how to quickly pass judgement on these kids based on nothing but what you're reading on the Internet. I'm sure most of you were great decision makers in your teenage years.Ā 

It isn't for me, you or anyone else to pass judgement on these young men. I do have opinions on the subject as I am a fan which is short for fanatic. The coaches are responsible for talent evaluation which should include character evaluation. The NFL does it, Colleges do it as well. That is why they get paid the big bucks. I'm sure they will do some sort of risk reward analysis and come up with hopefully the correct decision. Pretty sure Stewart ain't coming here anyway but I digress.

22 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Before we're all too quick to pass judgement, I'd like to remind y'all that many of you also flagged Javonne Shepherd as a character risk.

Do not tell facts like these red flags have a high correlation to bust rate in college to the holier than though crowd. Itā€™s a major red flag and we should evaluate accordingly.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Who are the WR's that potentially don't want to come here because of Stewart?Ā  Coleman and Shazz?

Never mind them. How would Stewart and Worthy get along? Who'd transfer out first?Ā I suspect Sark could find a way to get both guys heavily involved if anyone could, as he managed it at Bama. Of course, that's a program loaded with A-list talent top to bottom, along with tremendous player accountability. You don't see guys stepping out of line there.Ā 

To this point, I think even Stewart's biggest fans would have to admit he doesn't come across as playing well with others. I hope that's just immaturity and/or suspect "handling," but we'll see. I really suspect it's moot anyway.Ā 

20 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Do not tell facts like these red flags have a high correlation to bust rate in college to the holier than though crowd. Itā€™s a major red flag and we should evaluate accordingly.Ā 

WR's are going to have red flags. You can certainly afford a gamble at WR more so that OL.

I was looking at the past 4 WR recruiting classes - OU has done very well every year as has Ohio State. Georgia surprisingly has done very well. Alabama last year was very strong. Seems like it would be a pretty easy position to pick up a very good transfer in the portal.

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I was looking at the past 4 WR recruiting classes - OU has done very well every year as has Ohio State. Georgia surprisingly has done very well. Alabama last year was very strong. Seems like it would be a pretty easy position to pick up a very good transfer in the portal.

In theory, but those guys with elite speed donā€™t hit the portal too often. Worthy is a huge outlier.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Well luckily we arenā€™t exactly crushing it in the receiver recruiting department so we shouldnā€™t have to evaluate too hard. But as stated him not coming here likely wonā€™t have anything to do with this because seems like he gone.

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Before we're all too quick to pass judgement, I'd like to remind y'all that many of you also flagged Javonne Shepherd as a character risk.

Most people wanted White Boy Reese dropped from his recruiting class because of his drug arrest. Kid came here and didn't do shit on the football team but he did get into med school. Who knows where he ends up had he gotten processed. All I'm saying his give these kids a bit of grace. And yeah sure some of them will squander the opportunity but I bet in most of that cases there is a larger conversation to be had.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I actually label you guys that want to cut bait on kids as soon as there is a hint they aren't choir boys as the holier than thou crowd but whatever. There can be a lot of circumstances that we aren't privy to regarding these situations.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I actually label you guys that want to cut bait on kids as soon as there is a hint they aren't choir boys as the holier than thou crowd but whatever. There can be a lot of circumstances that we aren't privy to regarding these situations.Ā 

Yeah, I donā€™t think very many people, if any, are saying to cut bait on the kid. I think most are pointing to the statistics regarding these situations that say you shouldnā€™t count on the kid to be productive. Those same people probably have reservations about Hudson as well. Kids that commit to more than two schools tend to have poor outcomes as well. As prospects, they look fantastic, but the reality in these situations often lags expectations significantly.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Most people wanted White Boy Reese dropped from his recruiting class because of his drug arrest. Kid came here and didn't do shit on the football team but he did get into med school. Who knows where he ends up had he gotten processed. All I'm saying his give these kids a bit of grace. And yeah sure some of them will squander the opportunity but I bet in most of that cases there is a larger conversation to be had.

Count me in the ā€œI donā€™t really want to pass moral judgement on a minor for the stupid shit they do, but as a Longhorn fan I canā€™t help but think that a kid who keeps doing a bunch of stupid shit is likely to do more stupid shit and possibly screw something up for my team so I hope we keep an eye on that and have a backup plan for if shit goes sideways, which looks probableā€ crowd.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™m working on the name.

Edited by Darth Tron
Word choice
  • Hook 'Em 3

Oh, on another note. I'm not "cutting bait" with this kid or any other. No need to feel sorry for them, it isn't like the University of Texas is their only offer. Someone will offer these kids scholarships. If they aren't a fit for the program, they shouldn't be offered. The coaches make that decision. We can debate until we are blue in the face. No need to keep flinging poo at one another for shit none of us have control over. If Sark offers Stewart a ship, fine, if he doesn't, find someone else. That is his job and that is exactly what he will do no matter what us dipshits Ā think or talk about.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting