Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

NFL is a copycat league and Casey could be viewed as a poor mans Kyler. I could see him getting drafted mid to late rounds if he keeps up this performance. I mean Sam was a 6th rounder. Idk if Casey would leave for that but he has graduated and probably wouldn’t improve his stock much by staying.

Also, idk if a 2nd 2022 QB has much to do with Card. Just like MM, another 22 won’t contribute next year anyway. Prob more about long term roster management. 

An incoming transfer would be more related to Card, but also just as applicable to Casey going pro. 

Huh?

In the NFL’s eyes Casey is at best a homeless man’s Kyler Murray. That little man runs away from every player on a NFL field and has a killer arm. As much as I dislike saying it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

You're allowed to get more than one graduate degree.  So 'yes'.

yeah I'm just wondering if there are enough "degrees" attainable for someone majoring in football for 3 years. It's probably one of those things that just gets worked out.

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

yeah I'm just wondering if there are enough "degrees" attainable for someone majoring in football for 3 years. It's probably one of those things that just gets worked out.

Was it Matt Leinart that just took ballroom dancing his last year at SC? There's always a way to make it work.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Huh?

In the NFL’s eyes Casey is at best a homeless man’s Kyler Murray. That little man runs away from every player on a NFL field and has a killer arm. As much as I dislike saying it.  

Yeah that’s why he was the #1 pick. I’m not saying Casey is that. But it opens minds to the value of short, quick QBs in general. 

He’s not getting drafted on measurables and likely not in the first four rounds.

But if he keeps engineering scoring drives on a ridiculous number of his drives even in conference play, I could see a team taking a flyer in a later round. Hard to argue with the results he has generated when he plays…

Casey’s almost certainly not declaring his year unless he’s getting the type of early round draft grade that staying isn’t going to realistically improve upon. That would of course mean he has an All American, all time best QB season at Texas kind of year given his measurables.

I don’t think it’s a lock Card transfers just yet. While I doubt Casey leaves this year, he could leave after next year if he puts two years of consistently strong play together and just wants to take his shot at the league instead of running it back for a sixth year. That would leave Card in the driver’s seat for the starting position with multiple years of eligibility remaining, with competition from project/depth takes in Wright and Murphy, and I guess possibly a true freshman Arch Manning if you insist on believing that’s happening. He committed with JQJ in the class and Thompson already on campus so he obviously knew there was a chance he wouldn’t be playing right away.

The staff looking at a second QB could be just as much about thinking Murphy is a potential transfer as it is Card. Murphy could easily be squeezed out between Card and Manning (or some other 23/24 QB)

Agree Charles Wright isn’t about to portal for PT. Makes no sense. Maybe as a grad transfer or something but it was obvious he’d be riding the bench for years, if not his entire career, when offered and he jumped on it immediately. Sometimes a local kid just wants to stay home.

23 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Something you are familiar with.

Sadly, yes. There's plenty of shitty posters posting trash here all the time. Oh, that isn't where you were going with that riposte, was it?

Stop putting forth takes, claiming your just asking questions, and then spend a page arguing how your takes no one agrees with are correct. Come on man. 

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Casey’s almost certainly not declaring his year unless he’s getting the type of early round draft grade that staying isn’t going to realistically improve upon. That would of course mean he has an All American, all time best QB season at Texas kind of year given his measurables.

I don’t think it’s a lock Card transfers just yet. While I doubt Casey leaves this year, he could leave after next year if he puts two years of consistently strong play together and just wants to take his shot at the league instead of running it back for a sixth year. That would leave Card in the driver’s seat for the starting position with multiple years of eligibility remaining, with competition from project/depth takes in Wright and Murphy, and I guess possibly a true freshman Arch Manning if you insist on believing that’s happening. He committed with JQJ in the class and Thompson already on campus so he obviously knew there was a chance he wouldn’t be playing right away.

The staff looking at a second QB could be just as much about thinking Murphy is a potential transfer as it is Card. Murphy could easily be squeezed out between Card and Manning (or some other 23/24 QB)

Agree Charles Wright isn’t about to portal for PT. Makes no sense. Maybe as a grad transfer or something but it was obvious he’d be riding the bench for years, if not his entire career, when offered and he jumped on it immediately. Sometimes a local kid just wants to stay home.

He's going to leave after next year regardless because he'll be out of eligibility and approximately 25 years old. It isn't a choice at that point. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sadly, yes. There's plenty of shitty posters posting trash here all the time. Oh, that isn't where you were going with that excellent riposte, was it?

Stop putting forth takes, claiming your just asking questions, and then spend a page arguing how your takes no one agrees with are correct. And then folks won't label you a shitposter. 

He's going to leave after next year regardless because he'll be out of eligibility and approximately 25 years old. It isn't a choice at that point. 

finger shut up GIF by Cody Simpson

• Haha 1

I think it has to do with that and that Card is probably out the door. It’s most likely why he was given the starting job. Sark didn’t want to lose him.

I’d much rather get a transfer QB than a low 3 star HS kid. Someone who could start a game but really wants to come to Texas to get a Masters or learn under Sark that wants to get into coaching.

• Hook 'Em 1

It only makes sense for Card to stay because worst case scenario is that he starts 2 years from now after Casey is gone. Malik probably won’t be ready by that time and Arch (if we land him) will be a true freshman. Hudson would be a covid Junior by that time with 2-3 years of eligibility left and will know the system in and out. If he pops off that season he can just go to the draft and that would set up Malik or Arch for the following season. In today’s NFL all you really need is one good season in college to get drafted in the first round as a QB. Hudson’s arm talent and athletic ability help that a lot too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm excited about Murphy's arm, but any plan for the future of the position that includes him starting anytime in the next three years is a major roll of the dice. Right now, we've got a guy that's likely to transfer in Card, a couple of JAGs in Wright and Lourd, and a complete project in Murphy. There's a shitload of uncertainty regarding what happens after next year. I think they're trying to get as many guys in the room as possible and see what shakes out.  

Edit: I don't mean that Wright or Lourd are incapable of developing into great college QBs. Just that they were not blue chip recruits and are unknowns at this point...

Edited by irishtexan

2 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

It only makes sense for Card to stay because worst case scenario is that he starts 2 years from now after Casey is gone. Malik probably won’t be ready by that time and Arch (if we land him) will be a true freshman. Hudson would be a covid Junior by that time with 2-3 years of eligibility left and will know the system in and out. If he pops off that season he can just go to the draft and that would set up Malik or Arch for the following season. In today’s NFL all you really need is one good season in college to get drafted in the first round as a QB. Hudson’s arm talent and athletic ability help that a lot too. 

Unintentional comedy there.

CalculatingWholeKodiakbear-size_restrict

6 minutes ago, theBigHen said:

If Card leaves our QB room is fucked. We’d have to rely on some transfer portal magic to bail us out there. 

It's... not really all that bad in the Portal era. Almost no one carries around two experienced bluechips anymore because they Portal so quickly. The two lifers in Lourd and Wright are a nice safety net next year and going forward.

Edited by texifornia

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I doubt that. Murphy has elite tools and no reasonable expectations to play immediately. Definitely a development take..

There has to be some caution, even if not remorse.  I am sure they would much rather Murphy be lighting up his high school competition as opposed to his underwhelming play.  I sure wish we would have gone after someone local.  

Highly rated quarterbacks aren't usually going to wait 2 or 3 years to start anymore.  You can't count on that.  We need a qb who would be ready to play before Murphy, but also not bother the Mannings.  It's a tough path to navigate.

Edited by kevwun

Christ. This thread is so fucking terrible. Thompson leaving early and getting drafted early? Come on, guys. Stop recruiting Evan Stewart because he’s a prima donna enjoying weed with his hand out? Not going to happen, even if we have to hold our noses while we watch the recruitment play out. Someone giving a shit about Hudson Card getting to start in two years? Okay, then. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sadly, yes. There's plenty of shitty posters posting trash here all the time. Oh, that isn't where you were going with that riposte, was it?

Stop putting forth takes, claiming your just asking questions, and then spend a page arguing how your takes no one agrees with are correct. Come on man. 

Casey is a covid RS Soph this year. This is the first of his three years of remaining eligibility

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Thompson could take a COVID year just like Card can. If he’s considered a safe draft pick, even it’s a 4-6 round grade like Ehlinger, I don’t expect him to because nothing is going to transplant him into Hudson Card’s body; but the option is there.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe so, but UT has him listed as a Junior. Maybe it works like an medical, I don’t honestly know. I went by the UT website when I made my comment. 

Everybody has an extra year if they want because of COVID. So if you redshirted on top of the COVID freebie, you could be here for 6 years in real time. Thompson redshirted and is in year 4 in real time. So he can stay 2 more years if he wants to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're*

• Haha 1

Christ. This thread is so fucking terrible. Thompson leaving early and getting drafted early? Come on, guys. Stop recruiting Evan Stewart because he’s a prima donna enjoying weed with his hand out? Not going to happen, even if we have to hold our noses while we watch the recruitment play out. Someone giving a shit about Hudson Card getting to start in two years? Okay, then. 

*pre-madonna
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not a bad comparison - but I'd use a different former New England QB...

Drew Bledsoe.

Mallet and Bledsoe are solid comps. I was going to throw out Jeff George….given that 2/3 went first overall, I’d probably have to lean toward Sydney’s Mallet comp being the most likely outcome.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting