Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like Perkins chose to visit LSU this weekend instead of aggy.  Won't be at the Bama' game either.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like Tapp will be back at LSU this weekend.

Reported for derailing the Thompson Declares, Card Portals, Texas QB Room in Deep Doodoo thread.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Mallet and Bledsoe are solid comps. I was going to throw out Jeff George….given that 2/3 went first overall, I’d probably have to lean toward Sydney’s Mallet comp being the most likely outcome.

I'll throw 2 Steeler QBs... Big Ben and Leftwich (played 1 year there)

1 hour ago, theBigHen said:

If Card leaves our QB room is fucked. We’d have to rely on some transfer portal magic to bail us out there. 

How is it fucked. Wright would have as many years in the system as Card. We saw Card melt when the lights got bright. If Card left, you would have the same situation next year as this year. 3 scholarship QBs and a PWO. Except all of the QBs save Murphy would have a year in the system.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

How is it fucked. Wright would have as many years in the system as Card. We saw Card melt when the lights got bright. If Card left, you would have the same situation next year as this year. 3 scholarship QBs and a PWO. Except all of the QBs save Murphy would have a year in the system.

Because Wright isn't on the same planet as a prospect compared to Card.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry Hamilton

Lander Barton gives the Texas Longhorns visit high marks

On300 No. 176 Lander Barton made an official visit to Texas last weekend, and gave the entire experience in Austin high marks.

On300 linebacker Lander Barton (Salt Lake City Brighton) is fresh off an official visit to the Texas Longhorns. And the 4 star prospect could not have been more impressed leaving Austin.

“The game environment stood out,” Barton told On3. “That stadium. It’s a crazy big stadium. It was a great game day environment. Austin is a great city,”

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound long-armed prospect didn’t hesitate giving every part of the trip high marks.

“It was an all around good trip. I was there for football. It was all business. Obviously, the offense putting up 70 points on Texas Tech was impressive. I liked some of Coach PK and Coach Choate’s scheme, too.”

The main goal of Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and the coaching staff was making sure Barton, a Utah legacy, felt at ease in Austin.

“Coach Sarkisian told me the most important aspect of the visit was feeling comfortable at Texas. He didn’t pressure me, but he told me how much they wanted me. And that they feel like I’m a good fit.”

So that begs the question. Did the No. 176 ranked prospect in the On300 feel that comfort and fit on the visit?

“Yes, I could see myself at Texas. I just really felt comfortable there. I didn’t have anything negative about the visit.”

With both parents being former athletes at Utah, along with three siblings, making the decision to go a different direction could prove to be difficult. Barton’s father, Paul Barton, relayed a very important message to his son at the end of the visit.

“My parents both really liked Austin and Texas. In our last meeting with Coach Sarkisian, my dad said I had his blessing to attend Texas if that’s what I want to do.”

The younger brother of NFL LB Cody Barton and NFL OT Jackson Barton still has plenty of recruitment in front of him. He will make an official visit to Utah October 16 and Oregon October 30. The possibility remains of a final visit to either UCLA or USC. Michigan hosted Barton September 11.

I'll be shocked if this guy ends up anywhere but Utah.

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Wright and Card are not on the same talent level. I get Card had a bad game but we have such a small sample size on him it’s not fair to assume he’s ass based off a game where everyone played and coached like shit. 

Five-star Harold Perkins discusses Texas visits, goes in-depth on recruitment

Nick Harris

Spoiler

Five-star Harold Perkins discusses Texas visits, goes in-depth on recruitment

Nick Harris

It's been a busy few months for Cypress (Texas) Park five-star linebacker Harold Perkins, who may better be described as a defensive Swiss army knife.

His versatility on the defensive side of the ball has piqued the interest of multiple regional power schools, including Texas, LSU and Texas A&M. Perkins is coming off of two consecutive visits to Texas, and is looking forward to getting back to Austin before the season is over.

"It was raw," Perkins said. "I wanna go back and catch a good game. They've been playing teams that are alright and blowing them out. I'm gonna try to catch them again for a good game."

One thing that stood out to Perkins was the interaction from Texas fans before, during and after the games as many Longhorn recruiting fans were asking for pictures and wanting to meet the five-star.

"During pregame, I had a lot of people showing me love," he said. "I didn't know I had that many fans in Austin. They were asking to take pictures and stuff, I was like shoot alright."

The momentum that Texas has been generating in recent weeks has been a result of Texas throwing an all-in approach towards recruiting him as Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris, analyst and Louisiana native Cordae Hankton, special teams coordinator Jeff Banks, safeties coach Blake Gideon and Steve Sarkisian all have pitched in.

"B. Harris, Cordae, Sark, Banks and Gideon is who all I talk to," he said. "They say they need me. Coach Sark says to come here and earn your spot. Coach Gideon says they don't have anybody that can play what I can right now. Somebody that can do it all by being able to cover, blitz, play in the zone."

One thing that stands out for Perkins as compared to other schools he said is the Name-Image-Likeness potential at Texas. Along with that, he is excited about the new coaching staff and feels they will be great.

"It's big with the NIL stuff," he said. "You can make a lot of money at Texas and they have a crazy fan base. I feel like the coaching staff is good. They gotta prove themselves this year but I feel like they will be great though."

Texas A&M has been the school that has generated the most buzz in his recruitment to this point, but he will have to wait to see a game in College Station after pivoting towards going to Baton Rouge this weekend.

"A&M is good, communication is good," he said. "We still talking a lot and stuff. I was gonna go there this weekend but I'm gonna go to LSU."

LSU has an advantage by being his home-state school. The New Orleans native Perkins hears from analyst Dwayne Thomas, Ed Orgeron and defensive line coach Andre Carter the most. He is also intrigued by living in Baton Rouge, a city he can relate to.

"I'm gonna be turning up at LSU, that's home," he said. "Communication has been good. Coach Dwayne, Coach O, Coach Carter. The city is just savage, that's me all the way. I like crazy fans too."

Perkins still maintains that he will not be making a decision until January 2 at the Under Armour All-American Game in Orlando. When it comes to decision time, two things will stand out to him.

"Me coming in and playing right away," Perkins said. "Two, it would be the right system. I want to like the players playing in front of me like the [defensive] linemen. All-around, it just has to be the fit for me."

At 6-foot-2.5, 210 pounds, Perkins is the No. 14 ranked recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 1 linebacker in the country and the No. 4 recruit from the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Just now, theBigHen said:

Wright and Card are not on the same talent level. I get Card had a bad game but we have such a small sample size on him it’s not fair to assume he’s ass based off a game where everyone played and coached like shit. 

and neither are Thompson and Card, yet the lesser talented guy is the one who is better at football. It happens. Saying we are fucked because Card leaves just isn't a true statement.

• Hook 'Em 4

Four-star commit Bryan Allen Jr. recruiting two key five-star prospects to Texas

Nick Harris

Spoiler

Four-star commit Bryan Allen Jr. recruiting two key five-star prospects to Texas

Nick Harris

ALEDO, Texas — The highest ranked commit for Texas in the 2022 class, four-star safety Bryan Allen Jr., has had a big start to his senior season as he has helped his Aledo team roll to multiple blowout victories and a 5-0 start.

On Friday night, Allen had an interception and was active on special teams in a 51-7 win over Everman at home.

"We did what we had to do out there," Allen said. "We didn't give up on any plays and just won the game."

Communication with Texas since Allen committed back in February has been strong as he talks to safeties coach Blake Gideon, defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski, special teams coordinator Jeff Banks and of course head coach Steve Sarkisian. The bulk of the communication goes through his position coach, Gideon.

"We talk every day," he said. "Even before they play on game days, we still get in contact. I'd let him know if I'm coming to the game if it's at home. I've been to one game and hopefully I'll be at another one when they play OU."

The main reason he committed to Texas was the relationships he had built with the coaches as they all get along and have good times, even if it's just over the phone or on Zoom.

"They're very good people," he said. "Nothing bad about them, they're all positive. They're just fun people to hang around with."

Looking forward, Allen is excited to finish his senior season with hopefully another state championship before enrolling at Texas to get to work.

"I really can't wait until I go down there," he said. "It's gonna be the best."

In the meantime, Allen has gone from being recruited to being the recruiter for Texas as he is constantly ringing the lines of two key five-star prospects in the state of Texas that could help shape Texas' future under Steve Sarkisian.

"Evan [Stewart] and Denver Harris."

At 6-foot-0, 195 pounds, Allen is the No. 104 ranked prospect in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 7 ranked safety in the country and the No. 16 recruit from the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

and neither are Thompson and Card, yet the lesser talented guy is the one who is better at football. It happens. Saying we are fucked because Card leaves just isn't a true statement.

Thompson was 4 star recruit.  I have zero issues always having a guy like Wright on theroster.  Similar to Matt Nordgren back in the day.  Unlikely to transfer and potentially serviceable in a spot/emergency situation.  But if Wright is our primary backup this year or next year, the QB room is not in a good place. Period.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Thompson was 4 star recruit.  I have zero issues always having a guy like Wright on theroster.  Similar to Matt Nordgren back in the day.  Unlikely to transfer and potentially serviceable in a spot/emergency situation.  But if Wright is our primary backup this year or next year, the QB room is not in a good place. Period.

I certainly understand this sentiment, but Wright's senior film was pretty good given what he was working with. I was pleasantly surprised and think people are probably underrating what he's got based on stars...and I know and believe that stars generally matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I certainly understand this sentiment, but Wright's senior film was pretty good given what he was working with. I was pleasantly surprised and think people are probably underrating what he's got based on stars...and I know and believe that stars generally matter. 

How about the fact that Sarkisian said that he sees Mac Jones potential in Charles Wright? Our head coach engages in comparatively less coach-speak than other coaches.

25 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Thompson was barely a 4 star recruit, but he had a lot of high level programs interested to some extent

Some of y'all are really disrespecting Casey's arm. He has a good arm

I've gone back and charted every deep throw he's made this year (stats are ugly: 1/10, 23 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 1 PI drawn). The issue isn't that his arm is weak or that he's incapable. He just needs to work on consistently using the correct amount of touch. Sometimes he puts too much air on his long balls. I think it's an overcorrection because as a freshman he came in only throwing darts. He'll figure it out. Plus he's had some back luck with an egregious missed PI and Marcus Washington tripping on an easy TD. I would have graded 6 of his 11 attempts as good throws and 2 others were just a bit off but correctable. That's not a bad rate. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I’m not going to be one of these dipshits who says stars don’t matter, they obviously do. But once a guy has been in the program for a couple of years, their high school ranking should not be the lead paragraph anymore. I really don’t give a shit what Card or Thompson were ranked in high school anymore, they’ve got college practice and game tape now.

• Hook 'Em 6

Some of y'all need to remember Card has only one year of quarterback experience.

Sure his upside is great but his lack of experience showed in the Arkansas game.

With that said it's time we move on from that game.

I believe a mistake was made and that mistake has since been corrected.

That's not on either of them.

The one that's going to help the team the most with a win is going to play.

That's who I'm rooting for.

No matter who it is.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I've gone back and charted every deep throw he's made this year (stats are ugly: 1/10, 23 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 1 PI drawn). The issue isn't that his arm is weak or that he's incapable. He just needs to work on consistently using the correct amount of touch. Sometimes he puts too much air on his long balls. I think it's an overcorrection because as a freshman he came in only throwing darts. He'll figure it out. Plus he's had some back luck with an egregious missed PI and Marcus Washington tripping on an easy TD. I would have graded 6 of his 11 attempts as good throws and 2 others were just a bit off but correctable. That's not a bad rate. 

Colt has a weakish arm, but his arm is stronger than every starting QB Texas has had since not named Swoopes or Ash.

Someone with a weak arm can throw deep balls, but they definitely have to put more on it than someone with more arm talent.

Casey's arm is definitely good enough for college though.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Colt has a weakish arm, but his arm is stronger than every starting QB Texas has had not named Swoopes or Ash.

Someone with a weak arm can throw deep balls, but they definitely have to put more on it than someone with more arm talent.

You probably mean stronger than anybody after Colt. But I think even Gilbert had better arm strength than Colt.

And pardon me for asking a dumb question, but isn't it possible for a QB to workout a ton and get a stronger arm?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Casey throws deep balls like Russell Wilson does. High so they drop into the bucket. He just doesn’t hit the bucket like russ does. 

7 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

You probably mean stronger than anybody after Colt. But I think even Gilbert had better arm strength than Colt.

And pardon me for asking a dumb question, but isn't it possible for a QB to workout a ton and get a stronger arm?

Sure.

nwMhr_1qIIz9D49dxNZPKAHYuzS6tGu5Pp8PLEOX

The answer is in the first sentence of your post. Colt McCoy bulked up so much between his RS Sophomore and Junior Years folks accused him of being on the juice. And his balls became fucking darts. Just not NFL level darts. So yes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe so, but UT has him listed as a Junior. Maybe it works like an medical, I don’t honestly know. I went by the UT website when I made my comment. 

There's a disclaimer at the top of the UT roster page

For the purpose of consistency across website rosters, student-athlete classification across schools of the Big 12 Conference has been moved forward from last season even though the student-athletes maintain the additional year of eligibility granted due to the pandemic. Should they choose to use the additional year, that will be designated at a future time.

41 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

It was hard to tell with Gilbert. He is such a bad passer that throws knuckle balls.

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sure.

nwMhr_1qIIz9D49dxNZPKAHYuzS6tGu5Pp8PLEOX

The answer is in the first sentence of your post. Colt McCoy bulked up so much between his RS Sophomore and Junior Years folks accused him of being on the juice. And his balls became fucking darts. Just not NFL level darts. So yes. 

I don’t mean to be hyperbolic but the trailer to Over The Top is the greatest video ever created by mankind.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Colt has a weakish arm, but his arm is stronger than every starting QB Texas has had not named Swoopes or Ash.

Buechele might be as strong, but I'd need to see them arm wrestle to be sure. 

2 hours ago, Davis Lane said:

Some of y'all need to remember Card has only one year of quarterback experience.

Sure his upside is great but his lack of experience showed in the Arkansas game.

With that said it's time we move on from that game.

I believe a mistake was made and that mistake has since been corrected.

That's not on either of them.

The one that's going to help the team the most with a win is going to play.

That's who I'm rooting for.

No matter who it is.

He's in his third year of training as a QB. Not one. Three. Let's keep the fact set straight.

The reality is that if someone is going to be a big dog, they're going to bite you as a pup. It's one thing to need experience, and quite another to shit yourself and collapse into a puddle of timid insecurity at the first sign of adversity playing on the road. The psychological aspects of playing QB aren't easily changed for a player. Some guys have it, and others simply do not. 

What I'm saying is, I'm not writing Jagger McJaggsalot off just yet, but I'm probably writing him off. He'll be throwing darts at UTSA this time next season. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He's in his third year of training as a QB. Not one. Three. Let's keep the fact set straight.

The reality is that if someone is going to be a big dog, they're going to bite you as a pup. It's one thing to need experience, and quite another to shit yourself and collapse into a puddle of timid insecurity at the first sign of adversity playing on the road. The psychological aspects of playing QB aren't easily changed for a player. Some guys have it, and others simply do not. 

What I'm saying is, I'm not writing Jagger McJaggsalot off just yet, but I'm probably writing him off. He'll be throwing darts at Utah this time next season. 

FIFY

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It’s actually his 4th. It keeps getting repeated on here that he played WR his junior year in HS, but that was actually his Soph. year. He’s not that new to the position, and I’m assuming an LT kid has access to good trainers and stuff.

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

It’s actually his 4th. It keeps getting repeated on here that he played WR his junior year in HS, but that was actually his Soph. year. He’s not that new to the position, and I’m assuming an LT kid has access to good trainers and stuff.

See, and that's why I love you guys on this board. You're a bunch of fucking dorks when it comes to the high school side of things. So there we have it, 4 years at QB. Dude isn't new to the role.

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting