Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2022 RB Jadarian Price opens up on his recruitment

“I talked to Baylor, Minnesota and Stanford a lot,” he said. “Those are the schools I talk with most. I’ve got a close relationship with them.”  Price said that Stanford is among the schools recruiting him the hardest. The elite academic program only recruits a small percentage of the country, and Price is honored to be a part of it.  “Oh yeah,” he said. “They only recruit five percent of the nation and I’m part of that five percent. The fact that they are recruiting me is crazy.”

Texas has also had a bit of contact with Price over the last month. The Longhorns are one of his favorite programs and he’d like to hear more.  “I’ve had a little bit,” he said. “I’d like to have more. They are one of my favorite schools.”

https://247sports.com/Player/Jadarian-Price-46059477/ 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Jadarian-Price-Denison-Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Stanford-Cardinal-Baylor-Bears-Minnesota-Golden-Gophers-152174115/

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

2022 RB Jadarian Price opens up on his recruitment

“I talked to Baylor, Minnesota and Stanford a lot,” he said. “Those are the schools I talk with most. I’ve got a close relationship with them.”  Price said that Stanford is among the schools recruiting him the hardest. The elite academic program only recruits a small percentage of the country, and Price is honored to be a part of it.  “Oh yeah,” he said. “They only recruit five percent of the nation and I’m part of that five percent. The fact that they are recruiting me is crazy.”

Texas has also had a bit of contact with Price over the last month. The Longhorns are one of his favorite programs and he’d like to hear more.  “I’ve had a little bit,” he said. “I’d like to have more. They are one of my favorite schools.”

https://247sports.com/Player/Jadarian-Price-46059477/ 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Jadarian-Price-Denison-Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Stanford-Cardinal-Baylor-Bears-Minnesota-Golden-Gophers-152174115/

Fuck Stanford. Also fuck the brocks

• Hook 'Em 2

Mike at Night: Assessing the 2022 running back class

—Texas put an offer on the table for 2022 Tyler Legacy running back Jamarion Miller today. I spoke with the four-star back this afternoon and the offer was a big one. His brother Damion Miller was once a commit in the 2017 class but didn't make it to Austin due to grades. Jamarion is extremely excited about the opportunity but he said he plans to take his time. I'm going to take mine and see what plays out, but I would feel rather confident in putting a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick in right now. Even before the offer, we were given strong indications that Texas would be the favorite for him. He told Horns247 in July that Texas is the school he grew up watching most. I'm going to let things play out a bit before putting a pick in, but I think it's fair to say that Texas jumped right into the lead.

—With that in mind, let's take a look at the pecking order for in-state backs in 2022. We will start with Jaydon Blue. I think it's clear that the Klein (Texas) Cain back is the priority and I feel Texas is in the best position for him right now. Credit to Bryan Carrington and assistant running backs coach Brandon Harris who have been working Blue along with Stan Drayton. This is the guy Texas will hold a spot for, and I'd guess the number is 2 for 2022 unless the staff feels it can get a third in. Blue knows that Texas plans to take multiple guys at the position and is ok with it from what I know.

—El Paso (Texas) Burges running back Tavorus Jones is also high on Texas. The four-star back told Horns247 that Texas is the school he talks to the most. Jones was a fast riser this spring and summer, and now all eyes are on him before his junior season. Jones has the attention of several schools nationally, and he's a player Texas will be watching and recruiting hard this year

—Denison's Jadarian Price was the first back offered in this class. While schools ran hot on him early, it's clear they wanted to see how he rebounded from an injury-plagued sophomore season. Price started the year off with a bang last week running for nearly 200 yards and his explosiveness was back. Price could be right in the thick of this mix with a strong junior season and he told Horns247 last week that Texas was one of his favorites.

—With multiple backs on the table and a clear number one, I think that Drayton can afford to play this out and be choosy. The goal will be to shut down Blue as quickly as possible and sit back and evaluate the others in the class. The staff will have to be careful not to overplay the hand, but right now they seem to be in a good position thanks to the hard work of Carrington, Harris and Drayton.

—Finally, I'm not sure if it's an individual or team effort but the evaluation at running back deserves a shoutout. Texas was the first school to offer Jonathon Brooks, first to offer Tavorus Jones, second to offer Jadarian Price and second to offer Jaydon Blue. In a world where we hear so many times how Texas is always late to offer, someone deserves a gold star for finding and offering those prospects early.

• Hook 'Em 2

Nick Harris: Denver Harris looking forward to taking visits after dead period

GALENA PARK, Texas — The defending 6A Division I state champion North Shore Mustangs returned to the field on Friday night and came away with an impressive week one victory of Shadow Creek, 38-21. The play of North Shore's defense played a big role in determining the outcome as they only allowed 14 points (7 more given up on a kickoff return) and accounted for three takeaways.

Five-star cornerback Denver Harris led the way with two interceptions including a 95-yard return for a touchdown in the third quarter. "I owed my team one because I got scored on earlier," Harris said. "So I had to come back, lock in and get my two interceptions. We were a little rusty in the first game but it was a blessing to come back."

September 1 marked the first day that 2022 recruits could be reached directly by college coaches and the attention around Harris has definitely increased, but he says he's been locked in for his junior season. "It's been very hard to adjust to everything," he said. "A lot of schools have been reaching out to me but I've been locked in for this game and locked in school-wise."

The 2022 class has picked up steam across the country in recent months with some big names popping including three for Texas in five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers, four-star cornerback Jaylon Guilbeau and four-star wide receiver Phaizon Wilson. "I talk to Texas pretty much every day," he said. "I text Coach Herman and Coach Valai a lot, those are my guys."

Harris would like to lock his decision down but wants to get out on visits before doing so as he hopes to get "out of the south" and see Ohio State and some schools out west. Harris has frequently visited schools in his home state including Texas and is now looking to get out to schools he hasn't seen out of the area. He will not be able to take his visits until the emergency NCAA dead period is lifted, which is currently in effect until December 31.

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Harris is the No. 12 recruit in the country for the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 5 cornerback in the country and the No. 4 recruit in the state of Texas.

23 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The flick of his wrist on the run for easy 35 yard completion. 

no arm strength? Ketch is the dumbest fucking person

I...he couldn’t have actually said this, could he? Thought that was just a surelyism. Anyways, yea. Hope we hold on to him after this blunderfuck of a season

Edited by Hank_Hill

34 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Unless he’s ehlinger level orangeblooded or we hire urban in the next 14 months, I have no expectation of keeping him. 

You might be in luck. He's not committed simply because he thinks Tom Herman is a swell guy. I don't know if he's Ehlinger-level convicted about coming to Texas, but he allegedly bleeds burnt orange. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You might be in luck. He's not committed simply because he thinks Tom Herman is a swell guy. I don't know if he's Ehlinger-level convicted about coming to Texas, but he allegedly bleeds burnt orange. 

Well thats the best news ive seen in awhile...if hes in the fold makes this job even more attractive to our next head coach (hopefully)

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

This is the one who was talking down on UT after the Tech game through the GC, right @hornfromdallas ?

Yeah, but not really. He posted the screenshot and it was something like "Tech scored 56 (side eyes emoji)"

I'm not predicting Jackson in the class, but he had the same reaction I would expect most recruits to have.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/15/2020 at 3:18 PM, golfclap said:

If Donte Williams stays as CB coach Jackson will be at USC. That dude is a badass recruiter.

Williams is basically home at USC, Culver high is like 15 minutes away. If he was to get a bigger/better job I think it would become a Texas/Clemson battle. He has job hopped A LOT, has DC aspirations, and is working for Orlando and Helton - home town or not.  Nothing with Clay Helton, Todd Orlando, or USC is solid in my mind - and ESD/NSD 2022 is long way away. 

Only update you need on Jackson in bold. ^ His interest in Texas is real but when USC hired Williams this recruitment was over.

Caveat -- if USC/Pac/COVID issues cause the team to not compete at all.

Edited by golfclap

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Only update you need on Jackson in bold. ^ His interest in Texas is real but when USC hired Williams this recruitment was over.

Caveat -- if USC/Pac/COVID issues cause the team to not compete at all.

Ok but what if Clay Helton and Todd Orlando cause the team to not compete at all? 

247 Sports / Steve Wiltfong / Top-ranked 2022 WR Caleb Burton talks top 12 schools

Spoiler

Top-ranked 2022 WR Caleb Burton talks top 12 schools
STEVE WILTFONG

The No. 1 receiver in the Top247 in Caleb Burton cut his list of nearly 40 offers to 12 schools on Tuesday evening. The programs still in the mix for the coveted 2022 prospect out of Del Valle (Texas) High include Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Stanford, Texas and USC.

Burton told 247Sports these are the programs he felt wanted him the most. From that group, a few of those programs have really come hard for the No. 8 overall prospect in the country.

“Texas, Stanford, Ohio State, Clemson and Oklahoma are who I’m most familiar with,” Burton said. “I’d say they’ve been recruiting me the hardest. A lot of FaceTime calls and they’ll walk around the campus and drive around campus on a golf cart and show me where different halls are at and where the students stay. It’s really talking every week and building a strong relationship.”

To date Burton has only been on the campuses of Oklahoma, LSU and Texas. He had plans to go see Ohio State, USC, Oregon, Alabama, Georgia and Florida before the Covid-19 pandemic hit. He wants to learn more about all these programs.

Burton gave a highlight regarding each of his top schools.

Alabama: “My favorite thing about Bama is their offense and how spread they are and the different ways they use their wide receivers.

Auburn: “I love talking to the coaches. I talk to Coach Morris, he used to stay around Austin. Also Coach Burns and they love throwing the ball.”

Clemson: “My favorite thing about Clemson is Coach Grisham is a new coach but from what I’ve seen the past couple games the wide receivers still look really, really good and they’re throwing the ball a lot.”

Florida: “My favorite thing about Florida is its located in a very nice spot. Coach Gonzalez has been doing it for a long time and the wide receivers there are very good and he knows what he’s doing and knows how to put them out.”

Georgia: “Their wide receivers are super physical. They always have good running backs which opens up the pass game.”

LSU: “The new passing game coordinator, I’m still seeing what he’s doing but I always loved the offensive scheme they do and how many different formations they put the wide receivers in and how they use them.”

Ohio State: “Obviously the relationship me and Coach Hartline and Coach Day have and their wide receiver room is always ridiculous and it’s nice to have a ex NFL wide receiver coaching you and looking at what he’s done he’s sent a lots players to the league.”

Oklahoma; “The coaches are always in contact with me, we have a super tight relationship. The wide receivers coach Coach Simmons always does good with the wide receivers there, definitely in the past four years has a lot of Biletnikoff winners and runner ups.”

Oregon: “They make me feel like family. Coach McClendon, Sam Popper, I love the way they use their receivers too.”

Stanford: “Definitely the education I can get there. Coach Kennedy we always talk, super funny, we Facetime just to talk about what’s going on, not even about football and I’m excited to watch them this year.”

Texas: “I love talking with Coach Herman, he’s also like family to me and Coach Coleman the new coach and what I’ve been seeing out of the wide receivers it looks good and they look disciplined. The tempo of the offense has gotten faster they’re lining up super quick which I like to see and also it’s 10 minutes from house.”

USC: “It’s in a very nice location, weather is awesome, they have some really good wide receivers now. I want to see what they do this year and I know they throw the ball a lot.

Burton had a big sophomore season where he caught 51 passes for 882 yards and 12 touchdowns.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Horns 247 / Greg Biggins / Domani Jackson set for Big 12 visit

Spoiler

Domani Jackson set for Big 12 visit
GREG BIGGINS

Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei defensive back Domani Jackson is set to take an unofficial visit later this month.

Jackson hasn’t hit the road in a while due to Covid but said he’ll visit Texas for the Baylor game later on October 24th.

“I’m really excited to get out there,” Jackson said. “Right now, Texas is recruiting me harder then anyone and that’s why I decided to take this visit. I said before that I wanted to try and visit all the schools in my top 10 and as hard as Texas is recruiting me, it just made sense to give them that first visit.”

Jackson said head coach Tom Herman is personally involved in his recruitment along with Texas DB coach Jay Valai.

“I’m really comfortable with both guys,” Jackson said. “They’re making a hard push and I mean hard. I talk with them just about every day and I love the energy they bring.

“Everyone know how big football in Texas is so I’m looking forward to getting out there and seeing what all the hype is about. I know they haven’t gotten off to a great start but that doesn’t bother me at all. They have made a few mistakes here and there but that’s football. It’s still early and there are always struggles but I think they’ll be fine.”

The Longhorns have been active in the SoCal area the last few years. They beat out just about every school out West for starting safety Chris Adimora and would love to bring in another talented defensive back from the area. 

"I think their '22 class could be really strong," Jackson said. "I talk with Quinn Ewers all the time, he's a good guy. He talks about building something special out there in Texas and would love for me to join him and I'm definitely interested. 

"In terms of a timeframe for making a decision, I'm looking at doing it either in January or maybe April. I don't want any distractions during my season so I could do it before we start or wait until after our season is over. If I know and I'm comfortable with it, I'll do it in January. If not, I'll wait and do it later in the year."

Jackson is currently rated the No. 3 overall player nationally in the 247Sports Composite, No. 4 by 247Sports and the consensus No. 1 corner in the country. We have talked a ton about Jackson’s long term upside and what a physical freak he already is.

At 6-1 and a chiseled 190 pounds, he has an NFL body right now and elite speed. He clocked a 10.78-100m earlier this track season in what was just his second meet of the year after not even running track a year ago. He’s not just fast, he’s a physical player, who’s strong in run support and plays with a nice edge in his game.

He currently has a top 10 of Alabama, Arizona State, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas and USC. The Trojans are the current leader in the Crystal Ball forecast. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: More on a big upcoming visitor

Spoiler

Mike at Night: More on a big upcoming visitor

Mike Roach

Texas will "host" an important visitor in a few weeks. As first reported by Rivals' Adam Gorney, five-star 2022 Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei cornerback Domani Jackson will make a self-guided trip to Texas on October 24 when Baylor faces the Longhorns.

I spoke with Jackson's dad earlier today who confirmed the trip. Jackson has been a big Texas target since Chris Ash and Jay Valai arrived in Austin and the Longhorns have worked their way into the top group. The Texas staff cannot have face-to-face contact or give tickets to Jackson in accordance with the COVID-19 inflicted dead period, but Jackson and his family will travel and purchase tickets on their own dime.

USC currently leads on the 247Sports Crystal Ball with two picks on the Trojans, but sources tell Horns247 that Jackson is wide open. Aside from Texas and USC, Clemson and Michigan have garnered attention as threats for him.

Jackson's incredible play is bolstered by his strong testing results including a 4.51 40-yard dash, 4.25 shuttle and 31-inch vertical during The Opening regional camp in 2019. A five-star prospect, Jackson draws comparisons to New Orleans Saints defensive back Marshon Lattimore, and 247Sports National Recruiting Editor Brandon Huffman describes him in the following way.

"Athletic, good-sized cornerback with speed (4.5 forty as a freshman), quickness and explosiveness. Still relatively new to the position, making the transition from receiver, but showed elite level coverage ability, ball skills, play diagnosis and closing speed. Plays with physicality, can bump and press but also play off and defend the pass. Smooth backpedal and quick hips make him a natural at cornerback. Projects as an immediate Power 5 contributor and potential NFL First Round Pick."

Jackson is a prospect Texas quarterback commit Quinn Ewers has been working on since committing to the Longhorns.

When Jackson included Texas in his Top 10 in August, he told 247Sports that the connection with the staff had the Longhorns high on his list.

“I like the Texas staff and Tom Herman is one of the few head coaches I stay in touch with as well. I would say coach Herman and Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma are the two head coaches I talk the most with and that definitely stands out. Coach Herman is a good guy and it means a lot that he’s always available for me and showing personal interest. I like coach Jay (Valai) a lot too. We’ve done a couple of zoom calls and he’s a good coach and has shown me a lot already. It’s big time football in Texas and I really wanted to go see them this off-season but I know I have time and definitely will get out there at some point in my recruitment.”

At 6-foot-1, 185 pounds, Jackson is ranked as the No. 1 cornerback in the nation and No. 1 overall prospect in California, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting