Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Ewers sounds like hes already cruting for Ohio St...

Spoiler

—Texas was dealt a massive blow losing a commitment from Quinn Ewers tonight. The five-star prospect was committed to Texas for less than three months before opening it up. There were many times over the last month where Ewers affirmed he was totally committed, but the reality was he's been talking to other schools. I don't have a complete picture of the reasons he decommitted and can't get into what I know there yet, but this is another loss that is unacceptable. Ewers committed to Texas during the summer knowing the shape of the program and told many people that he did it because Texas was a childhood dream school. While that's true, it wasn't enough to keep him committed even 90 days. All signs point to Ewers landing at Ohio State, and if that happens, it will be yet another big-time prospect from Texas headed out of state.

—I was told just before Ewers decommitted that he's been talking to other prospects and letting them know his plans. This will likely hurt Texas in more ways than just at quarterback. Not that it really matters at the moment. 2021 recruiting is stalling while 2022 seems to be coming to the same type of halt. I'm not sure what this staff can do to change the momentum, but the dams are breaking into pieces and this program is drowning from a recruiting standpoint at the moment.

—I'm going to work on something diagramming other options, but I understand the attitude of the fans. There isn't much good news coming out of this program right now and I'm not sure there's anything I can say that's optimistic at the moment. The Longhorns are in a fight for their lives each and every week on the field and you can now extend that to the recruiting trail.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Ewers sounds like hes already cruting for Ohio St...

Reveal hidden contents

—Texas was dealt a massive blow losing a commitment from Quinn Ewers tonight. The five-star prospect was committed to Texas for less than three months before opening it up. There were many times over the last month where Ewers affirmed he was totally committed, but the reality was he's been talking to other schools. I don't have a complete picture of the reasons he decommitted and can't get into what I know there yet, but this is another loss that is unacceptable. Ewers committed to Texas during the summer knowing the shape of the program and told many people that he did it because Texas was a childhood dream school. While that's true, it wasn't enough to keep him committed even 90 days. All signs point to Ewers landing at Ohio State, and if that happens, it will be yet another big-time prospect from Texas headed out of state.

—I was told just before Ewers decommitted that he's been talking to other prospects and letting them know his plans. This will likely hurt Texas in more ways than just at quarterback. Not that it really matters at the moment. 2021 recruiting is stalling while 2022 seems to be coming to the same type of halt. I'm not sure what this staff can do to change the momentum, but the dams are breaking into pieces and this program is drowning from a recruiting standpoint at the moment.

—I'm going to work on something diagramming other options, but I understand the attitude of the fans. There isn't much good news coming out of this program right now and I'm not sure there's anything I can say that's optimistic at the moment. The Longhorns are in a fight for their lives each and every week on the field and you can now extend that to the recruiting trail.

FIRE HERMAN TONIGHT...HE IS KILLING THE PROGRAM

• Hook 'Em 3

Steve Wiltfong: Where Quinn Ewers might look to after decommitting from Texas

Five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers, the No. 1 recruit in 2022 per 247Sports, decommitted from Texas late Wednesday evening. The Southlake (Texas) Carroll product had been a pledge to Texas since August, choosing the Longhorns over the likes of Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, Ohio State and Oklahoma. Ewers was the highest-rated quarterback prospect to commit to the Longhorns since Vince Young in 2002.

"The more I've considered the more I've come to realize I didn't explore all options as thoroughly as I would have liked," Ewers said in his decommitment post. "Therefore, I've decided to de-commit and reassess the situation before making such an important decision on my future. I would like to thank the University of Texas for their belief in me and my abilities. I understand this year has been challenging for the coaches and administrators as well, so I appreciate their understanding and wish them the best in their future."

It's not clear what exactly is next for Ewers, who said he would "soon have a firm decision" on where he'd play college football. 247Sports looks at the schools that could have the best chance moving forward.

Ohio State Buckeyes

In July, Ewers told me that Ohio State was the program recruiting him the hardest. Even after he committed to Texas, that communication maintained. With him reopening the recruiting process on Wednesday evening, I flipped my 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast to Ohio State. Ewers indicated a decision could come soon. I like the Big Ten power’s chances.

Ohio State’s success in the Lone Star State over the last several cycles is documented and Ewers is the coveted name for Ryan Day and his staff as they put the finishing touches on the 2021 class and turn their focus to 2022. “Just their success and ability to go to the college football playoff every year,” Ewers said in the past of what stands out.

Alabama Crimson Tide

Nick Saban and company were another program Ewers strongly considered early on in the process. Alabama has a lot of things Ewers is looking for in a program and it was an intriguing option for several reasons.

Like Ohio State, the Crimson Tide have recruited the state of Texas tremendously well; just recently they took twin Longhorns legacies Tommy and James Brockermeyer, a five-star OT and a four-star center, respectively. And don't forget that Ewers' commitment to Texas a few months ago was the catalyst for the Tide flipping 2021 Texas QB commit Jalen Milroe to their class.

Auburn Tigers

Ewers had a visit scheduled to The Plains prior to the Covid-19 pandemic hitting. Offensive coordinator Chad Morris has several ties to the state and specifically to several coaches on the Southlake Carroll staff. The Tigers have Bo Nix at QB in their plans for the 2022 season but not much else behind him, so the path to nearly immediate playing time would be there for Ewers.

Clemson Tigers

For a lot of the same reasons Ewers likes Ohio State, he is intrigued by Clemson. When the Tigers began showing interest, the family told 247Sports that was a opportunity they were excited about. We’ve seen Dabo Swinney and the Tigers land a five-star under center every other year — Trevor Lawrence in 2018, DJ Uiagalelei in 2020 — and are due up again for a third time here in 2022.

Oklahoma Sooners

Lincoln Riley and the Sooners were the original team to beat for Ewers. He had great conversations with Riley and felt he could flourish under his tutelage. It seemed Oklahoma landing a pledge from five-star quarterback Caleb Williams in the 2021 cycle slowed things down with Ewers. We’ll see if Oklahoma can make a move again.

Texas Longhorns

The childhood favorite, Ewers grew up a Longhorns fan and his pledge to Tom Herman and his staff was genuine. He liked offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich and the idea of playing in-state near family was strong. However, Texas' rocky start (3-2) has surely weighed on Ewers, as it's not the year the Longhorns thought they would be having. There's no doubt Herman is on the hot seat. If he loses his job, a replacement would have a full recruiting cycle to woo Ewers back — even if he is committed elsewhere by that point. Here's where we have to note that Urban Meyer, back when he was at Ohio State, gave Ewers his first offer.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Ari Wasserman) Quinn Ewers decommits from Texas: What this means for Tom Herman

Tom Herman has had a rough start to the 2020 season. There was the 33-31 loss to TCU in which the Longhorns fumbled away an opportunity to win the game at the goal line. Then there was the painful overtime loss to rival Oklahoma. But despite those setbacks, the Longhorns’ head coach had a security blanket. That security blanket was five-star quarterback commit Quinn Ewers of Southlake (Texas) Carroll, the No. 2 overall prospect in the 2022 class in the 247Sports Composite.

That security blanket is now gone. Ewers announced Wednesday evening that he was decommitting from Texas, the latest blow in what seems to be a never-ending list of setbacks for the Texas football program in 2020. Ewers didn’t cite Texas’ uninspiring start to the season as the reason he’s reconsidering his pledge, instead saying he realized that he didn’t explore all of his options as thoroughly as he would have liked before issuing an early commitment.

This doesn’t put Texas in an impossible spot. It’s important to remember the Longhorns have two true freshman quarterbacks who ranked among the top 100 recruits in the nation in the 2020 class — Hudson Card and Ja’Quinden Jackson, both dual-threats and both Texas natives. One of them figures to be the future face of the program once current starter Sam Ehlinger moves on. Ewers, of course, was supposed to be a part of that conversation, but his decommitment doesn’t leave Texas’ quarterback room decimated.

This loss is more symbolic for Texas than anything. Herman was regarded as a quarterback whisperer as he climbed the coaching ranks and made a name for himself nationally with the work he did with third-string quarterback Cardale Jones during Ohio State’s national title run in 2014. But now, with his program struggling, one of the most prominent quarterbacks ever to commit to Texas has decided that the Longhorns may not be the best option.

To make matters worse, five recruiting analysts have already put in Crystal Ball projections for Ohio State on Ewers’ recruiting profile. Ewers, who had offers from Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, Ohio State and Oklahoma when he pledged to Texas, now all of a sudden seems to be a Buckeyes lean. Ohio State is currently trending for three other five-star prospects in the 2022 class — cornerbacks Domani Jackson and Will Johnson and receiver Caleb Burton — something that will no doubt influence Ewers’ decision.

It’s hard to look at the program’s recruiting results lately and see much momentum. The Horns have the No. 17 ranked class in the country right now, their lowest-rate group since Herman’s transition class. They’ve picked up two new pledges, three-star lineman Max Merril and 2022 defensive back Jaylon Guilbeau, since the season began. Guilbeau reacted to Ewers’ decommitment on Wednesday night by tweeting: “I have a lot of thinking to do!!” The loss of longtime pledge Billy Bowman, a top-50 recruit, right before Red River was a tough blow. The likelihood that he’ll end up at Oklahoma makes it worse.

Texas is still trying to battle for top targets such as four-star running back LJ Johnson, offensive lineman Bryce Foster and defensive end Shemar Turner. But it’s hard to see the Longhorns winning over those blue-chip players if they don’t have the big 2020 season they’d long expected to back up their pitch.

Ohio State making a move for Ewers comes after the Longhorns lost top safety target Andrew Mukuba — an Austin-area player — to Clemson and lost the Brockermeyer brothers and former QB pledge Jalen Milroe to Alabama. The longer it takes Texas to reemerge as a championship contender, the tougher it’s going to be to keep these powerhouse programs from poaching its top recruits.

Google Herman’s name, and you’ll find a bunch of stories written about how he’s on the hot seat. Now, this happens. Can losing out on Ewers now make the hot seat hotter? The best thing a coach can have on his side is hope for the future. An athletic director may be motivated to keep a coach if it means signing the No. 1 quarterback in a recruiting class. But that hope is gone, and there’s no security blanket for Herman. Ewers is back on the market.

So you have to ask yourself: Is losing out on a five-star quarterback another reason to doubt whether Herman is the right man for the Texas job?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

We’re not, but that kid (yes I said kid) will never do anything on the field to be relevant.

Its moreso he’s irrelevant, can’t stick at a school, chasing both schools one is better one will stay worse, so it’s like shut your little smart mouth up.  Too many Leon O’Neal’s not enough Caden Sterns on twitter 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I've seen some comments like that but I don't understand the thinking.

1) I've said for a while that Fuckface has converted me completely into realizing that recruiting doesn't mean a fucking thing if the coaching is incompetent. Coaching under Fuckface is some of the worst shit I have ever seen. 

2) People can claim that Ewers and/or anyone else will get locked up by another school and we lost our shot. Fine, great, whatevs. If Texas hires Urban Meyer, I'm interested in how the landscape and dynamics for recruiting in Texas change almost immediately. 

3) If Meyer isn't the guy, I won't be committing suicide, but I will be checking out of following UT football and doing other shit for a good long while. 

I have been religiously following UT football and college football recruiting since my childhood. As it stands right now, I would not send my sons to play football at Texas. I cannot blame anyone else thinking/doing the same. This program has become a full-blown national joke. It's easy to blame Tom Herman, and he's a big part of it, but generally speaking, the athletic department and the institution as a whole get to carry plenty of that weight too.

Apathy is even worse than anger...good stuff, thanks Tom!

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've seen some comments like that but I don't understand the thinking.

1) I've said for a while that Fuckface has converted me completely into realizing that recruiting doesn't mean a fucking thing if the coaching is incompetent. Coaching under Fuckface is some of the worst shit I have ever seen. 

2) People can claim that Ewers and/or anyone else will get locked up by another school and we lost our shot. Fine, great, whatevs. If Texas hires Urban Meyer, I'm interested in how the landscape and dynamics for recruiting in Texas change almost immediately. 

3) If Meyer isn't the guy, I won't be committing suicide, but I will be checking out of following UT football and doing other shit for a good long while. 

I have been religiously following UT football and college football recruiting since my childhood. As it stands right now, I would not send my sons to play football at Texas. I cannot blame anyone else thinking/doing the same. This program has become a full-blown national joke. It's easy to blame Tom Herman, and he's a big part of it, but generally speaking, the athletic department and the institution as a whole get to carry plenty of that weight too.

Now I've seen it all.. from you being GDGD to now coming out as fucking Blake Brockermeyer...  

48a63fcabb049d49aa5d9f6fae6e49f7.gif

So, losing ewers, possibly losing sanders, guilbeau might be looking around, roach saying we might have 0 recruits in a month, etc.

With that said, sounds like this team/staff is burning it down knowing they’re gone. If TH and UM hate each other as much as is rumored, Tom seems like the kind of bitch that would do whatever he could to fuck everything up for UM.

Ewers doesn’t totally change his tune in 10 days AND say a decision is imminent elsewhere unless he got some type of message from the staff/team that totally turned his lifelong love affair with Texas 180 degrees to the opposite direction.

CDC has to be in major damage control mode now. I think he probably knows it. I would bet talks with UM have escalated in the past 24 hours.

This sounds a lot like when MB left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We have been an unorganized dysfunctional shit show for more than 10 years now. There are two directions this program can go. Hire Urban Meyer and right the ship, of continue down this path of absolute bullshittery with Tom Herman, James Franklin, PJ Fucking Fleck, Mario Cristobol, or whichever fucking unproven dipshit we hire. I'm also at the point where if we don't hire Urban, I'm checking out. This hot-garbage product they continue to trot out there ain't worth the time and energy. I've got better shit to do. 

1 minute ago, irishtexan said:

We have been an unorganized dysfunctional shit show for more than 10 years now. There are two directions this program can go. Hire Urban Meyer and right the ship, of continue down this path of absolute bullshittery with Tom Herman, James Franklin, PJ Fucking Fleck, Mario Cristobol, or whichever fucking unproven dipshit we hire. I'm also at the point where if we don't hire Urban, I'm checking out. This hot-garbage product they continue to trot out there ain't worth the time and energy. I've got better shit to do. 

This is my fear, dude.  I used to be a diehard UT basketball fan.  Travel to away games, etc.  Now I don't hardly watch because apathy set in.

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting