Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

I don't know if this is on "ears to the streets" level or comparable to Carl's group chat, but here goes:  My neighbor plays football for Tyler Legacy and I mentioned this evening about Miller getting offered by Texas.  His response was "Yeah that's all he's been talking about.  That's the only offer he wanted".  I asked if he thinks Miller ends up at Texas and he said "definately".  

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I don't know if this is on "ears to the streets" level or comparable to Carl's group chat, but here goes:  My neighbor plays football for Tyler Legacy and I mentioned this evening about Miller getting offered by Texas.  His response was "Yeah that's all he's been talking about.  That's the only offer he wanted".  I asked if he thinks Miller ends up at Texas and he said "definately".  

That's Wells territory, and he's pretty confident that Miller ends up at Texas unless Texas decides they don't want him 

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

definitely* 

Jesus right after Biggins gets called out? Seriously? Get your shit together Fudd.

Edited by Mason Ramsey
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Happy Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Lol... i wonder how the staff is going to respond to all the negative recruiting.  Outside of “oh come here and play with Ewers”, they don’t have a single other positive pitch other than Austin and the value of he degree which most kids don’t give a fuck about.  Riley simply needs to show every recruit his 4-1 record against Herman and his NFL draft picks.   What results can Herman point to?

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Lol... i wonder how the staff is going to respond to all the negative recruiting.  Outside of “oh come here and play with Ewers”, they don’t have a single other positive pitch other than Austin and the value of he degree which most kids don’t give a fuck about.  Riley simply needs to show every recruit his 4-1 record against Herman and his NFL draft picks.   What results can Herman point to?

Bowl games, baby! Usually bowl games of no consequence, but bowl games!

1 hour ago, UhhhIdk said:

Doesn’t mean as much as it once did

Eh I think he'll stick, even with a coaching change.  Especially with a good hire

What would kill these odds is uncertainty and indecision by the AD.  Hoping that doesn't happen

Edited by squeegeedegg
Expanding thought
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Mike Roach: Texas commit Jaylon Guilbeau talks commitment status, season

LA PORTE, Texas — Jaylon Guilbeau was part of a dominant effort on Friday night. The four-star 2022 cornerback from Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial saw his team come into the matchup against La Porte an underdog and emerge with a decisive victory. The Titans are now now 3-0 and playing like a team. “My motivation was coming out and dominating this team,” he said. “Everyone was out here talking about how good they were and how they had their backs. We had our front lined up and ready to play. We were in man the whole game ready to go. They tried me, but it didn’t work.”

Guilbeau committed to Texas just under a month ago. He joined his high school teammate Jordon Thomas, a member of the 2021 class, and the two are looking forward to playing together at the next level. “Me and Jordon have a good little bond,” he said. “We were close friends in middle school, and we are just trying to follow our path. That’s big bro, so I talk to him, and we talked about going to Texas. I’ve got a bond with coach Herman and coach Jay Valai and all of it came together.”

Texas struggled in the last two weeks and dropped back to back games. Despite that, Guilbeau is confident the issues can be fixed moving forward. “I’m staying home,” he said. “That don’t change anything. I talked to coach Herman and they said they just had a few things to fix up and they are going to fix it up. I’m here to see it.” Texas cornerbacks coach Jay Valai was a big reason for landing Guilbeau’s commitment. Guilbeau said that the bond the two have is a big reason.

“Me and coach Jay have a good bond,” he said. “He always tells me to stay on my grind and hit the gym and stay on my books. The books are the most important thing to even get on the field. I like the way he brings the energy to me. When you bring energy to me, I’m going to bring energy back.” At 5-foot-11.5, 175 pounds, Guilbeau is ranked as the No. 15 cornerback in the nation and No. 21 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nick Harris: Evan Stewart building relationships with Texas staff and commits

PROSPER, Texas — Despite a shortened 7-on-7 season in the spring due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Frisco Liberty four-star wide receiver Evan Stewart saw a huge rise in his recruitment as he showed elite speed and ball-catching ability for the Dallas-Fort Worth based Team Flex. After picking up 30 offers over the offseason, Stewart has returned to the field for the Redhawks and has put up solid numbers for a program that is not typically known for its offensive production.

"This team is very alive," Stewart said. "I am very impressed with this team. We're playing as a family, we're playing together. We just fight more than we would usually." With the 31 total offers and attention from schools across the country, Stewart has had to do a significant amount of navigating to find a few schools that are standing out at the moment. "Right now, it's probably Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State and Florida," he said. "Tennessee is another one. Memphis is my hometown and all of my family went to Tennessee."

Texas was one of the first schools to offer back in March and Stewart has been able to build solid relationships in the time since with head coach Tom Herman, wide receivers coach Andre Coleman and a few current commits. "They're full of joy," he said. "They're hardworking and they're always checking up on me. Quinn [Ewers] will just send me a 'hook em' every once in a while and then Phaizon [Wilson] is my dawg. We're all cool."

Despite the rough start to the season, Stewart isn't too worried about the state of the program and is instead focused on how they pick it back up. Another school in a similar situation is Oklahoma who always holds a 2-2 record early in the year and has done a good job prioritizing Stewart. "I got a bunch of friends up there [at Oklahoma]," he said. "Everybody that I know is up there and I'm comfortable with a lot of their receivers. They check up on me every now and then, tell me good luck on my game days and Coach Riley and me have good conversations."

As a few 2022 recruits have either locked down their recruitment or are looking to do it in the coming months, Stewart is taking his time with the process as he's waiting to get out on some more visits before coming to a decision. "I'm taking it day-by-day," he said. "I'm not in a rush right now. With the visit situation, I haven't been anywhere except for Baylor."

In three games this season, Stewart has hauled in 15 receptions for 279 yards and 2 touchdowns for the 2-1 Frisco Liberty Redhawks. At 6-foot-0, 175 pounds, Stewart is the No. 47 ranked recruit in the class of 2022, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 7 wide receiver in the country and the No. 6 recruit in the state of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I know Ewers is a great prospect that can make most systems work, and I'm assuming Herman won't be coaching him. What type of offense best utilizes his talent?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/11/21/from-harris-to-jones-history-of-urban-meyers-quarterbacks/107913972/

Also see this, Urban was the second to offer after North Texas and he immediately took an unofficial...

image.png.ae5820e03bdf174ebfd3fe1c7164c697.png

6 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

Well that's the subtext. What type of offense does a forward thinking coach like Urbs want to run? 

Its possible Urban would keep some of the present staff. Hes already said what he thinks about  Ash. And Yurcich is a guy I think he'd like also. 

So, there is some built in savings there for a HC switch. Maybe. 

2 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Its possible Urban would keep some of the present staff. Hes already said what he thinks about  Ash. And Yurcich is a guy I think he'd like also. 

So, there is some built in savings there for a HC switch. Maybe. 

Add in Drayton who was his former RB coach, Valai who was hand picked by Ash. Could also throw in Hutzler who seems to be solid. Giles, Coleman, Hagen, Boulware would be the ones to replace

4 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Add in Drayton who was his former RB coach, Valai who was hand picked by Ash. Could also throw in Hutzler who seems to be solid. Giles, Coleman, Hagen, Boulware would be the ones to replace

Maybe Boulware would agree to an off-the-field role since his contract has 2 more years -- Saban has done that with staff before.  Coleman's contract might be over in the spring.

Found this article...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-assistant-coaches-raises-Herb-Hand-Stan-Drayton-Yancy-McKnight-Mark-Hagen-146782926/

Here’s a breakdown of Texas’ assistant coaching annual salaries (and remaining contract years):

• Mike Yurcich, offensive coordinator, $1.7 million (three - through 2022 season)
  • Chris Ash, defensive coordinator, $800,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Jay Boulware, tight ends coach/special teams coordinator, $700,000 (three - through 2022 season)
  • Herb Hand, offensive line, $700,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Stan Drayton, running backs, $650,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Coleman Hutzler, linebackers, $600,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Mark Hagen, defensive tackles, $550,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Yancy McKnight, strength coach, $510,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Oscar Giles, defensive ends, $400,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Andre Coleman, receivers, $350,000 (year to year)
  • Jay Valai, cornerbacks, $300,000 (two - through 2021 season)

Tom Herman is set to earn $6 million in 2020; $6.25 million in 2021; $6.5 million in 2022; and $6.75 million in 2023.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe Boulware would agree to an off-the-field role since his contract has 2 more years -- Saban has done that with staff before.  Coleman's contract might be over in the spring.

Found this article...

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-assistant-coaches-raises-Herb-Hand-Stan-Drayton-Yancy-McKnight-Mark-Hagen-146782926/

Here’s a breakdown of Texas’ assistant coaching annual salaries (and remaining contract years):

• Mike Yurcich, offensive coordinator, $1.7 million (three - through 2022 season)
  • Chris Ash, defensive coordinator, $800,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Jay Boulware, tight ends coach/special teams coordinator, $700,000 (three - through 2022 season)
  • Herb Hand, offensive line, $700,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Stan Drayton, running backs, $650,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Coleman Hutzler, linebackers, $600,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Mark Hagen, defensive tackles, $550,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Yancy McKnight, strength coach, $510,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Oscar Giles, defensive ends, $400,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Andre Coleman, receivers, $350,000 (year to year)
  • Jay Valai, cornerbacks, $300,000 (two - through 2021 season)

Tom Herman is set to earn $6 million in 2020; $6.25 million in 2021; $6.5 million in 2022; and $6.75 million in 2023.

Boulware is suppose to be a good recruiter from what I understand, but his special teams coaching has been almost completely ass my dude. I say almost because we seem to have stopped fielding kicks and returning them to the 12 yard line. Blocked punt, blocked field goal, fumbling on the returns, and holding every got damn time we run one back well. Herb hand is...is...I got nothing man. If i talk about it I'll just start raging. McKnight has become a problem also it seems, the players appear to be built well but they lose their burst and turn into china dolls. Other then that leave the staff intact until Urban can bring in some bag me...I mean home run hires and lets win a fucking title or two. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Boulware is suppose to be a good recruiter from what I understand, but his special teams coaching has been almost completely ass my dude. I say almost because we seem to have stopped fielding kicks and returning them to the 12 yard line. Blocked punt, blocked field goal, fumbling on the returns, and holding every got damn time we run one back well. Herb hand is...is...I got nothing man. If i talk about it I'll just start raging. McKnight has become a problem also it seems, the players appear to be built well but they lose their burst and turn into china dolls. Other then that leave the staff intact until Urban can bring in some bag me...I mean home run hires and lets win a fucking title or two. 

Rod Babers mentioned earlier in the week that Tom coaches the Punt team and FG team, so Boulware isn’t responsible for those two.

25 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Rod Babers mentioned earlier in the week that Tom coaches the Punt team and FG team, so Boulware isn’t responsible for those two.

Fucking why? Why would a head coach do that? Do you think Mack would do that? What a waste of time and especially since both those fucking SUCK

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Dude I laughed my ass off when I read this, and then I started sobbing. Now I’m drinking heavily. Our head coach is in charge of everything that fucking sucks about our team. How miserable 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting