Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Mike Roach: Thoughts on Texas targets in updated 247Sports 2022 Top247

The latest edition of the 2022 Top247 has been updated. National evaluators on the 247Sports rankings team have been hard at work in order to make adjustments to the rankings. Drawing on feedback from local reporters and early season film, the ranking received some slight tweaks instead of a massive overhaul. As always, the state of Texas was well represented as 2022 is shaping up to be an insanely talented group. I've decided to highlight the in-state Texas targets making moves and a few out of state targets who Texas is in a good position with.

—Quinn Ewers remains at No. 1 overall. I didn’t expect to see him move any and the start to his season wouldn’t indicate any reason to drop him in rank. Ewers should have a stranglehold on the top spot barring a disastrous end to his career or an incredible rise from another prospect.

—Domani Jackson remains at No. 4 for overall. Texas has the chance to make a big impression with him coming to Austin for a self-guided visit this weekend. The Longhorns are definitely in the top group here. While Clemson and Michigan might have a bit of a lead, there’s no counting Texas out as of right now.

—Caleb Burton dropped one spot to No. 9 after some movement above him. While the Del Valle prospect certainly earned his lofty ranking, he won’t have a chance to improve upon it after suffering a season ending injury. Burton has a hold on the top wide receiver spot in the state, but he will face stiff competition.

—Malick Sylla holds steady at No. 13. The Katy edge rusher has mountains of potential and a frame to really dream on. His junior season will be pivotal for his future ranking, but he’s off to a strong start so far. Sylla’s hold on the top defensive end spot in the state will be challenged by an edge prospect from Dallas.

—Duncanville’s Omari Abor comes in at No. 19 and will challenge Sylla for his throne. Abor is also off to a strong start and has a bit more size and athleticism in his corner. Abor is one of the best in-person evals I’ve had so far this year, and he could see himself work up the list with a strong year.

—Devon Campbell checks in at No. 22 after a ten-spot drop. Campbell entered the year a bit heavy and hasn’t quite had the juice he showed in his sophomore season. Still, Campbell is a dominant force on the field capable of burying any player he gets his hands on.

—Denver Harris holds steady despite dropping two spots due to movement above him. The No. 24 player overall is already turning in huge performances in his junior season, but his movement has been a bit stymied. Harris is still an elite prospect, but he’s been the victim of other prospects moving above him.

—There’s an argument to be made that Devon Campbell and Kelvin Banks (No. 26) is the most important prospect on the board right now. As Texas continues to struggle up front both on the field and in recruiting, Banks represents a true tackle prospect with interest from several big-time programs around the country.

—Harold Perkins makes his debut in the Top247 at No. 30, and I’d guess that he isn’t done working his way up. Perkins is a unicorn of sorts who excels on both sides of the ball and shows incredible athleticism from the linebacker position. He’s kind of a rare gem when it comes to finding linebacker prospect in state.

—Frisco Liberty’s Evan Stewart made a nice jump from No. 64 to No. 36. Stewart is off to a fantastic start in his junior year, and his athletic context numbers already scream elite prospect. Stewart can push Caleb Burton for the top spot in the state, and he will have that chance with Burton sidelined this year.

—IMG Academy safety Kamari Wilson checks in at No. 39. Texas is still very much in the mix for the elite prospect but they will have to fight hard to get him out of the southeast. Jay Valai is pivotal to this recruitment, so Texas needs to win or retain the Texas cornerbacks’ coach if there is a change.

—Texas commit Jaylon Guilbeau dropped a few spots to No. 62 as several others moved ahead of him. Guilbeau got off to a good start as well, but his upward movement will depend on the totality of his junior film. Guilbeau was on the rankings radar early and went pretty high. He will need to perform to stay in that stratosphere.

—Jaydon Blue dropped one spot to No. 70. I’d expect to see him ultimately move up following this season as long as he stays healthy. Blue was a bit banged up to start the year, but he’s still been able to turn in some really strong performances. Blue is cementing his status as the top back in the state.

—Austin Jordan dropped one spot to No. 86 and is now classified as a safety. The four-star prospect plays corner for Denton Ryan, but he’s probably headed for safety in his future. Still, Jordan is athletically gifted with length and skill.

—Donovan Green remains one of the highest rated tight ends in Texas in recent history. Green is closing in on releasing a list of top schools, and at No. 88 in the country, the Longhorns need to remain in this race. Green has the type of skill to change an offense as a weapon in the seam and the red zone.

—Green’s teammate PJ Williams checks in two spots below at No. 90. As an offensive tackle in the projection mold, Williams has the frame to grow into the position and the requisite athleticism and length to be an impact player in his future.

—Chace Biddle dropped two spots to No. 102 due to others moving up. A live eval of Biddle last week saw what we needed to from the Garland safety. A downhill speedster with incredible range and strong tackling ability, Biddle is still growing in coverage. His athleticism alone will keep him in striking distance of the Top 100.

—Armani Winfield stays in the same range dropping from No. 112 to 115. He’s been seeing increased attention this year and hasn’t been able to put up any noteworthy performances. Still, Winfield has the route running ability and frame to be a big play threat at the next level.

—Jaeden Gould comes in one spot below Winfield at No. 116. He’s yet another out of state defensive back Texas sits in good shape with. This is yet another recruitment where Jay Valai wields strong influence. Gould is part of a strong defensive back board for the Longhorns in 2022.

—Texas target Isaac Thompson is another out of state defensive back high on the Longhorns. Thompson took a slight drop that can largely be attributed to shuffling ahead of him. I have not yet seen anything from Thompson’s junior season, but Texas sees him as a versatile fit for several positions in the secondary.

—Tyler Legacy running back Jamarion Miller made a big jump from No. 162 to No. 137. Miller is showing great early season film with an explosive first step and a natural feel for the running back position. Miller has some strong ability and can continue to ascend if he provides some strong athletic context numbers in track and field.

—Duncanville OL Jaylen Early dropped slightly from No. 141 to No. 147. I liked Early when I saw him in person, but I feel he might be an interior prospect at the next level. Early plays on a star-studded line with two other P5 prospects, so it’s easy for him to get lost on the interior.

—Spearman ATH Brenen Thompson dropped slightly from No. 144 to 150. The electric speedster certainly has schools and evaluators excited about his potential, but he’s a bit pigeon-holed as far as how high he can ultimately soar. Still, Thompson sits in great rankings territory.

—Arlington Martin defensive end Ernest Cooper dropped from No. 78 to 158. Cooper hasn’t had the start to the season we expected him to have, and he struggled at times against Denton Ryan in the opener. Cooper looks like a dream on the defensive line, but his functional movement could stand to improve.

—Tavorus Jones rose to prominence in the spring, but he got off to a rough start in his junior season. For that reason and a few others, he dropped from No. 72 to 159. Jones has the capability to rise once again, but he must turn the season around.

—Kam Dewberry fell four spots from No. 205 to 209. I don’t always find myself in agreement with decision makers on a player, and this is one area where I feel that way. It’s semantics to argue, but I do believe Dewberry should be a bit higher. I’m interested to see what our rankings team thinks of him following his junior year.

—Denison RB Jadarian Price checked in at No. 226. His status seems to be in wait and see mode as he bounces back from injury this season. I saw Price earlier in the season and thought he looked rejuvenated and ready to bounce back.

—Texas commit Phaizon Wilson remains a 4-star prospect but falls outside of the Top247. He had almost no film from his sophomore season, but he should have a better reel from his junior year.

—I’ll discuss this more later on, but this is one of the more talented classes I’ve covered in-state. 9 in-state prospects fall in the Top 50, 18 fall in the Top 100, 28 fall in the Top 200 and 32 fall in the Top 247. Out of the prospects in the Top247 both in and out of state, I would say Texas is in serious contention to sign 28.

Mike Roach: Texas program must take advantage of wealth of talent in 2022

Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program. As high turnover is the nature of the beast in college football, a constant influx of talent is required to keep the engine moving. The Longhorns have been able to recruit at a high level under Tom Herman until now.

The 2021 Texas class has some highlights in it, but ranked at No. 17 in the country, it could threaten 2017 as the lowest ranked class in the modern era. 2017 was Charlie Strong’s last class and Tom Herman’s transition class. While that group yielded players like Sam Ehlinger, Ta’Quon Graham, Gary Johnson, Josh Thompson, Derek Kerstetter and Samuel Cosmi, it’s No. 25 ranking didn’t come close to where previous classes graded out.

If 2021 doesn’t drop that far, it could be comparable to the 2014 class. That class was Mack Brown’s last and Charlie Strong’s transition group. Classes like these can be sustained as long as you build strong around them. This is why it’s imperative that Texas takes advantage of the wealth of talent available in 2022. The 2022 group is loaded in state with 18 Texans in the Top 100 and 9 of them in the Top 50. Overall, 32 in-state prospects found their way into this release of the Top247. This class has a little bit of everything.

You want star quarterbacks? Quinn Ewers is top of the class while Conor Weigman and Cade Klubnik are coming on strong. How about playmakers on offense? Get familiar with names like Caleb Burton, Jaydon Blue, Evan Stewart, Jamarion Miller and many more. While the offensive line group isn’t quite as deep as 2021, it still has some headliners.

How about defense? The state produced two defensive linemen in Malick Sylla and Omari Abor who rank in the Top 20 nationally. For the first time in a while there is depth and talent at the linebacker position with a certified elite stud in Harold Perkins. As for the defensive back group? It’s as talented as any class to come through the state and can go toe-to-toe with the vaunted 2018 group.

The Longhorns definitely need to keep cashing in. While development has been an issue in Austin, disregarding the recruitment of elite talent is not a wise strategy. While some hidden gems can be found in each and every year, the percentages are with the high-end talent. The Longhorns will need to cash in there because the 2021 offensive group currently features the lowest rated commitment at every position.

While the focus will be on Tom Herman and his job status for the rest of this season, it’s clear that the Texas program must capitalize on the wealth of talent available in 2022, no matter who the coach is.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

Greg Biggin the west coast guy on 247 just said it wasn’t happening anymore, they couldn’t get tickets for the game was the reason given, hoping to reschedule for later. 

I hope this is just an excuse not to come. Because us not finding a way to get them tickets would be so much worse.

36 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Good Lord he’s got an incredible arm. Come on Urbs, you know you want to coach this kid. 

Yes he does...he won championships with Cardale Jones, Tebow and Chris Leak...let’s just go ahead and give him a generational talent and see what he does

Mike at Night: Where things stand with Quinn Ewers

—I had the opportunity to see Quinn Ewers tonight. I'll start with the performance. Ewers started a bit slow and wasn't faced with much of a challenge. The Dragons featured a run-heavy game plan, but there were times that Ewers was sensational running up-tempo at the end of the half. His arm is just different from other guys I've seen. I'm not sure if that's the best way to describe it, but everything just looks different. There's a relative ease to the way he gets it out and it's smooth and quick. He throws the deep ball as well as any quarterback I've ever seen, but what I like most about him is his toughness. He hangs in the pocket and will take a big shot to deliver the ball. He runs tough, but he also runs smart. There's just a maturity about his game you don't typically see in high school juniors. If you talk to those around Southlake they will comment most about his calmness under pressure and his unique personality. If I wanted to find something to nitpick him about I would say sometimes he sacrifices accuracy when asked to take a little bit off of a short pass, but that's really picking nits. He's really special.

—I spoke with Ewers, several people close to him and a few of his coaches tonight, and I would say Texas fans have nothing to worry about right now. Quinn told Horns247 on the record that he's fully committed and not at all discouraged by the start the Longhorns got off to this season. In speaking with those around him, I was told to remember that Ewers is a low-key kid with a thorough decision-making process. The way he orchestrated his commitment wasn't haphazard, and any moves with his recruitment won't be rushed. In checking the pulse around the Ewers camp, I didn't see any worries in their eye as of right now. I did ask a source familiar with Ewers what a coaching change would do to his recruitment, and I was told the family would wait it out in that case and see what happens. The bottom line is, Texas is where Quinn and his family want to be and I believe they will do what it takes for that to happen unless the situation just isn't viable.

—Nick went out to see Phaizon Wilson and Lancaster tonight. Wilson did not dress for the game, and Nick and I both confirmed he was held out for disciplinary reasons. We can't get too deep into things right now, but we are tracking the story. I can tell you that this doesn't have anything to do with criminal actions, it was more of a violation of team rules sort of thing. Several adults are intervening to make sure they can fix the situation, but this is obviously news that needs to be conveyed.

—If you didn't see it earlier this week, Greg Biggins reported that Domani Jackson wouldn't be able to make the trip to Austin this weekend. Jackson and his father were coming in on a self-guided trip and were going to buy tickets to the game, but they ran into some issues with tickets. They didn't want to take the trip without being able to take in a game for themselves. I checked in with several sources and confirmed the same Greg heard. Jackson and his father are setting up several unofficial trips and will likely loop back to visit another weekend.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Viper said:

i really looks like he throws a better deep ball than Sam right now.

He throws the deep ball better than anyone not named Trevor Lawrence and Spencer Rattler in college football.  He’s been coached up so well.  I’m really excited to see a QB room of Card, JQJ, and Ewers.  I fucking hate Herman and I want him out yesterday.... but he’s probably stocked up our QB room better than any program in the country and that includes Bama, LSU, tOSU.  Meyer has to be salivating what he can do with these guys if he comes here.  

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Grant Pinkerton is also a huge longhorn fan and all around good guy.

Yup, he posts regularly on IT and has the best ribs I’ve ever had in my life. Definitely a good guy, he is opening a San Antonio location soon, hope he keeps expanding with those candy paint ribs...unreal 

On 10/23/2020 at 8:50 AM, victory88 said:

He throws the deep ball better than anyone not named Trevor Lawrence and Spencer Rattler in college football.  He’s been coached up so well.  I’m really excited to see a QB room of Card, JQJ, and Ewers.  I fucking hate Herman and I want him out yesterday.... but he’s probably stocked up our QB room better than any program in the country and that includes Bama, LSU, tOSU.  Meyer has to be salivating what he can do with these guys if he comes here.  

It’s like everyone forgets Casey Thompson is on the roster. He’ll start the next 2 years and one or both ofJQJ or Card will transfer. Thompson already has 2 years in Herman’s system. Shouldn’t impact Ewers though, he could start as a true freshman at this rate.

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It’s like everyone forgets Casey Thompson is on the roster. He’ll start the next 2 years and one or both ofJQJ or Card will transfer. Thompson already has 2 years in Herman’s system. Shouldn’t impact Ewers though, he could start as a true freshman at this rate.

I don’t think that matters anymore. 

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Well it won't be Herman's system. I do think it'll be Thompson though, he's got wheels and can spin it. 

FWIW apparently Ewers father posted on IT and told everyone to stop being pussies about it. Wells followed up with a "Retweet" comment. I think yall can step off the ledge. 

Exactly! It’s just like Bowman when there was smoke around him. He quickly came out and reaffirmed his commitment to Texas. Everything’s fine.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting