Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

28 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

baseball players are gonna love this.  they've been getting hosed for a while now on scholarships.

you know Plonsky is just hyperventilating.

SEC schools complaining about Vandy’s $ advantage are in for a treat. Pierce has to be licking his chops at the talent he’ll be able to realistically aim for now

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's likely to be monthly payouts as a practical means of managing the process, carrying float for further gains, and keeping players from doing idiotic shit.

Remember when you guys are thinking about this stuff that all of this work is being done to set floors (now and evermore) so that recruits and coaches can know what the future, should they come to Texas, looks like. None of this can be used as an enticement, yada yada, but in the future, matter of fact history is not ignorable and will be front and center for recruits and transfers to understand. That's a big point of all of this. 

That considered, remember that this doesn't include any corporate NIL work for players that is very real and will only get bigger for the bigger names, which is why corporate density in Austin and Texas is a bigger deal, and a competitive advantage, than people understand right now. The 3rd string DE will still pretty much just get his expected floor, but the starting QB or point guard probably get far above the floor if they're worth a shit and have a symmetrical face. It also doesn't include crowdfunding efforts from the fanbase, memorabilia set-ups and signings, etc. 

Plonsky and crew are on the cusp of being able to pay female athletes more than any other college program in the country, and more than most semi-pro female sports leagues as well. She's not that stupid. Bickering over "equity" will come a lot later. 

agreed.  I'm just looking at it from an initial level(floor) as I am sure you have access to bigger picture.    and hopefully you are right on Plonsky.  hartzell will have to control the academics.

I also believe this was part of the reason for the move by Riley.  LA is gonna be nuts.  I wonder if Kelly heard that Notre Dame is going to push back/limit on playing the game and that's part of the reason he bolted(yes I realize mainly it is for money, he's 60 and he's got about 6-7 years).  Notre Dame just has a traditional feel to their responsibility in the academic world.  this would feel dirty to them(and of course, I understand the irony there).

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's likely to be monthly payouts as a practical means of managing the process, carrying float for further gains, and keeping players from doing idiotic shit.

Remember when you guys are thinking about this stuff that all of this work is being done to set floors (now and evermore) so that recruits and coaches can know what the future, should they come to Texas, looks like. None of this can be used as an enticement, yada yada, but in the future, matter of fact history is not ignorable and will be front and center for recruits and transfers to understand. That's a big point of all of this. 

That considered, remember that this doesn't include any corporate NIL work for players that is very real and will only get bigger for the bigger names, which is why corporate density in Austin and Texas is a bigger deal, and a competitive advantage, than people understand right now. The 3rd string DE will still pretty much just get his expected floor, but the starting QB or point guard probably get far above the floor if they're worth a shit and have a symmetrical face. It also doesn't include crowdfunding efforts from the fanbase, memorabilia set-ups and signings, etc. 

Plonsky and crew are on the cusp of being able to pay female athletes more than any other college program in the country, and more than most semi-pro female sports leagues as well. She's not that stupid. Bickering over "equity" will come a lot later. 

Now I understand your comments about the bag game diminishing in the future--you're resetting the whole house from foundation to roof ridge.  I was still in bird in hand mode.  Bags would be too small for this.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Closetojumping recently introduced me to Bobby and I found him to be a very good dude who really cares about Texas sports. He’s helping get this stuff done. Give him your support. 

To be clear, my unlikeable comment was about Nahlin, not Bobby. I think Bobby and Gerry are the best of the 9.95 world by a long shot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Wow, I step away for a few minutes after birthday wish casting for an OL commit and come back to this. Holy shit, this is way better, I should have higher expectations for the rest of the day. What a wonderful B-day present. Thanks guys.

I'm not much of one to look at naked women b/c I'm a happily married prude but son of a bitch your avatar is fucking hard to ignore.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Wow, I step away for a few minutes after birthday wish casting for an OL commit and come back to this. Holy shit, this is way better, I should have higher expectations for the rest of the day. What a wonderful B-day present. Thanks guys.

My B-Day is Friday. I hope I get news this good as well.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Don't like the fact that the staff is not going after Austin Stogner. He would be a huge upgrade to what we have in the roster. Of course, we don't do what makes the most logical sense.

Stogner is going to South Carolina to play for Beamer.  It really doesn't matter if we are interested or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

2023 comment but still relevant to 2022. This NIL announcement, plus the one coming, plus the Malachi Nelson commitment to USC, really helps keep Arch Manning from looking West to USC, and while the Manning dream to Texas is shaky right now, it’s not dead yet afaik. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

*You may have seen a “reach” or two offered lately. While those offers did catch us by surprise, we may see a couple of more O-linemen go to the portal than we initially thought, and Savion Red offers versatility and toughness to a roster in need of it.

*IT feels pretty good about UT’s chances with Kobie McKinzie. He’s a straight line missile at linebacker but the game isn’t played in straight lines. He’s more of an OLB. He’d be a really good replacement for Eoghan Kerry, but also for a portal candidate.

Both of these are nonsensical statements. How does Savion Red help with OLine portals?

Also, Kobie is a missile! But we don't use missiles, but we will use him on the outside. 

7 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Don't like the fact that the staff is not going after Austin Stogner. He would be a huge upgrade to what we have in the roster. Of course, we don't do what makes the most logical sense.

I think it comes down to priority.  We don't have enough spots available (33) to take everyone we'd like - and I think TE is probably pretty low on Sark's priority list (especially given we just recruited 3 of them last year). 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

agreed.  I'm just looking at it from an initial level(floor) as I am sure you have access to bigger picture.    and hopefully you are right on Plonsky.  hartzell will have to control the academics.

Would have had to--wouldn't make much sense to get a new tub with a fucked up drain.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, if they get to the 150,000,000 they want on the fundraise ask as @closetojumping said is the goal- the endowment will throw off something like $12,000,000 a year.  So- back of envelope math there are about 700 scholarshop athletes at UT.  If you paid them out all equally this would be something like $17,000 per person.  I think it would be the height of folly to pay them all equally. 

FWIW, there are approximately 520ish student athletes at UT.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Funny Face GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think it comes down to priority.  We don't have enough spots available (33) to take everyone we'd like - and I think TE is probably pretty low on Sark's priority list (especially given we just recruited 3 of them last year). 

Don't you get it? How many spots isn't an issue any more. These kids are getting $100k, base, with or without a scholly.

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Hopefully the TE room sorts itself out. Seems we have some good young talent there.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Both of these are nonsensical statements. How does Savion Red help with OLine portals?

Also, Kobie is a missile! But we don't use missiles, but we will use him on the outside. 

Not talking about Red - he's talking about the OL offer that went out yesterday. 

MLB needs more sideline to sideline speed than a guy lined up outside who is going to be asked to rush the passer most downs. 

28 minutes ago, deech said:

I would think if someone was as big a fan of UT sports as you claim he is, that person would not employ Chip Brown.

Listen, dude, Burton has been instrumental in almost all of this in one fashion or another. I'd maybe consider barking up a different tree. 

27 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'm not so sure.  yes swimming diving, rowing, baseball. the others  like golf and tennis can be mix(but they might not be lower socioeconomically obviously).

It is going to be interesting to see how neutered Plonsky and crew are.  maybe they are happy if Womens Bball, Volleyball, Track get some. 

really gonna be cool if we can keep really good baseball recruits from going to the draft now.  I also wonder if the 3 year rule for baseball goes away.

some kid can bank maybe 100K total over 4 years and that can turn into 600K easily by the time you are 60.

600k if he has the worst financial advisor in the history of the planet an/or just kept it in his savings account at Wells Fargo. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

These programs are not going to amp their dark market efforts by 10x, 20x, or 50x and coaches across the board are going to have excuses for playing the recruiting and transfer game above board. Uncles won't, but everybody else will. There's still a black market for bootlegging in this country and liquor is legal. There will always be a dark market in recruiting, but the size and scope of the alternative are going to completely fucking dwarf it. 

This is exactly right, and the perfect way to go about it. Use our insanely deep pockets transparently and above board. No need to drop smaller handfuls of cash in a dark alley when we can legally transfer WAY more money electronically. "Game changer" is exactly right. 

• Hook 'Em 1

More IT

Spoiler

QB Devin Brown, Corner Canyon (Draper, UT) - 2022: While UT went to see Brown on Sunday, Ohio State did the same. The Buckeyes are pushing hard for the On3 No. 27 overall prospect after hosting him on an official two weeks ago. Steve Sarkisian is set to see Brown next week, which is good, because Ohio State is growing confidence in this pursuit. With Jack Miller and another possible signal-caller headed to the portal, Ryan Day and Corey Dennis have zeroed in on the On3 No. 2 QB in this 2022 class.

Brown and his family really like Sarkisian, so that in-home will be crucial in keeping up in this recruitment.

OL Devon Campbell, Bowie (Arlington, TX) - 2022: The 6-foot-3, 315-pounder is just as big on the basketball court. In front of UT coaches Kyle Flood and Jeff Banks, the On3 No. 22 overall prospect put on a clinic in the post. As for his recruitment. Texas remains in a strong position for the nation's top guard. Alabama, USC, and LSU are still in this race though, with Oklahoma on the outside. I wouldn't be surprised to see all three of those schools swinging by the Campbells house soon. Sarkisian stops by the crib next week.

OL Malik Agbo, Todd Beamer (Federal Way, WA) - 2022: After Texas went to see the On3 consensus four-star on Tuesday, the Horns remain the strong contender for the 6-foot-5.5, 320-pound offensive lineman. With Oklahoma going through a dust storm, UT and Auburn have separated from the pack. As of today, I like where UT stands in these sweepstakes. He can play guard or tackle at the next level and fills a need on the roster. Agbo is announcing on December 15th.

LB Kobie McKinzie, Cooper (Lubbock, TX, - 2022: One of OU's de-commits might have Austin in his sights. The On3 consensus four-star linebacker picked up a UT offer yesterday and was absolutely thrilled. To the point, it's safe to say Texas is leading this hunt. The UT staff is set to see McKinzie on Friday for his playoff game, and he's coming to Austin this weekend. One school to watch is Texas Tech, with Joey Mcguire who had a previous relationship with the 6-foot-2, 245-pound inside-backer. An announcement this weekend wouldn't surprise IT at all.

DB Xavion Brice, Seguin (Arlington, TX) (OU) - 2022: Catching up with the 6-foot-1, 180-pound On3 four-star defensive back, he's excited to see Austin soon.

"All I know is I had a lot of fun," said Brice, about his Austin trip last summer. Now he'll return with a different mindset.

Brice loves the corner position, a spot that UT absolutely covets with him.

"I love playing corner," said Brice. "It's an island with you and that wide receiver so I can just lock that man up."

Texas Tech will get a visit as well, but the Horns have Brice's teammate, 2023's Jamel Johnson, committed, and he's certainly helping the Horns cause.

Watching the light bulb come on for some of your folks after spending months literally outlining how this should/could be done, down to demographics of population density, corporate presence, living alumni, endowments, all of it...is fucking hilarious. So many of you dismissing this concept while some of us outlined it time and time again now finding Jesus. Well, at least you understand now. You layer it all up. You get basic income, plus the ability to earn more, way more, if you're a productive player. Bijan's boxing deal doesn't go away with this. It's just more. And more and more and more. 

I'm curious who the last remaining bagman stans will be. I know BO&W will die on that hill. Speaking of:

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is that including walk ons? Just scholarship

athletes in football?

100k per athlete per year or 100k 1 time payment 

It's going to vary. It could be walk-ons depending on sport if you want it. It's PRIVATE MONEY. 

The money can be sliced any way you want it to be, there's no legal requirements. But it won't be a 1 time payment, and it will be yearly, as is the design. As has always been the design. 

• Hook 'Em 7

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

600k if he has the worst financial advisor in the history of the planet an/or just kept it in his savings account at Wells Fargo. 

yeah I'm aware.  I'm working with a floor "just don't buy the F250 or pay off all your homies" model estimate for the scrub player or non football/basketball athlete.

Edited by dcar00

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Watching the light bulb come on for some of your folks after spending months literally outlining how this should/could be done, down to demographics of population density, corporate presence, living alumni, endowments, all of it...is fucking hilarious. So many of you dismissing this concept while some of us outlined it time and time again now finding Jesus. Well, at least you understand now. You layer it all up. You get basic income, plus the ability to earn more, way more, if you're a productive player. Bijan's boxing deal doesn't go away with this. It's just more. And more and more and more. 

I'm curious who the last remaining bagman stans will be. I know BO&W will die on that hill. Speaking of:

It's going to vary. It could be walk-ons depending on sport if you want it. It's PRIVATE MONEY. 

The money can be sliced any way you want it to be, there's no legal requirements. But it won't be a 1 time payment, and it will be yearly, as is the design. As has always been the design. 

Gotcha, I think it would be critical to pay the walk ons in football. Would allow us to get guys who may consider going to g5 or fcs to come here and compete. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm no bagman fan - but honest question.  $100K/yr via NIL is going to be taxed, right?  Stewart's $300K+ won't ever be taxed.

46 minutes ago, Bevoball said:

Can't wait to reap the results of this. I'm glad we have out burnt ends and bad motherfucker initiative, but I am a poor and it's real good to see the people with fuck you  money throwing their weight into things.

Don’t worry, there will be a role for us little guys

34 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Every top recruit in the country has to consider Texas now right? In every sport. "What happens here changes the world" might actually be a thing now.

What starts here. Get it right motherfucker

31 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

One thing that I hope comes with all of this.. if kids are about to have cash dropped on them the moment they step on campus for off-season training. Please, please, please! Set up some financial literacy classes, and workshops. Please. 

They already have a bunch of this stuff. The NIL law requires it and then there’s stuff on top of that as well

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gotcha, I think it would be critical to pay the walk ons in football. Would allow us to get guys who may consider going to g5 or fcs to come here and compete. 

That's the idea, eventually. Just like eventually crew gets paid. IT's also how you lure high profile transfers. Wielded properly by smart staff and admins, this thing is the fucking one ring. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I'm not much of one to look at naked women b/c I'm a happily married prude but son of a bitch your avatar is fucking hard to ignore.

I drive a really nice truck, but I will still look at other clean and shiny ones when they drive by. Remember, you can window shop as long as you don't lick the glass.

• Haha 1

Just now, Tex Pete said:

Christine Plonsky is getting angry. She's scissoring like there's no tomorrow.

Good for her. It's private money. She may as well sit there and bitch that there isn't enough lesbian representation in television and film, and she can go back to flicking her bean while watching The Equalizer on CBS, which @closetojumping watches the live broadcast religiously every week. That's how much say she has here. 

• Haha 6

Just now, Tex Pete said:

Christine Plonsky is getting angry. She's scissoring like there's no tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I drive a really nice truck, but I will still look at other clean and shiny ones when they drive by. Remember, you can window shop as long as you don't lick the glass.

I'm happily married too, it doesn't mean I'm blind.

2 minutes ago, deech said:

I'm no bagman fan - but honest question.  $100K/yr via NIL is going to be taxed, right?  Stewart's $300K+ won't ever be taxed.

Ah, here we go. 

His 300k might not be taxed. And yes, his NIL money will be taxed. But even assuming 4 years (maybe 5 now) and a 25% tax rate, he's at net even. Plus all the other NIL deals he can make at Texas. Say, another one that sponsors WR. Say, all that Tik Tok money. Say he's a stud and gets a car dealership deal. Do you know how many car dealerships there are in Austin versus College Station? I fucking do. He could walk out of Texas at worst with the same as aTm AFTER he pays taxes, and he could also walk out of Texas worth 2 million. He can't do that in College Station. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Don’t worry, there will be a role for us little guys

What starts here. Get it right motherfucker

They already have a bunch of this stuff. The NIL law requires it and then there’s stuff on top of that as well

Love it. I’m on board. 
will be joining Burnt Endz after the holidays and my monies aren’t all fucked up from buying gifts. 🙄🙄

Edited by theaveragejon

4 minutes ago, deech said:

Guys like Stewart won’t get the same money as the 3rd string right guard. The imbalance potential is massive. 

Beyond that, the whole point is that incentives in the future for virtually everyone will change. Once it’s proven and consistent that star WRs will make 6 figures yearly, schools are going to need alums to competitively make that happen. Things like that start to sap the Uncle Fund. But keep arguing that the bag game will reign supreme, I guess. It’s obviously important in this cycle, in any event. 

BTW, Evan Stewart’s dad is the “uncle” here and to think Stewart is getting the jack is incorrect. Every cycle will include the random uncle or two, no matter how much above board money is also in play. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting