Jake Ehlinger found dead near campus

Machinator

Who knows what "potentially lethal" means with the DEA. The better graphic is the comparison to an equal strength amount of heroin.

2 mg is considered a potentially lethal dose 42 percent of pills found and tested were found to be at 2 mg or greater, the range found was 0.2 to 5.1 mg per pill more than twice the “potentially lethal dose”

2 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

2 mg is considered a potentially lethal dose 42 percent of pills found and tested were found to be at 2 mg or greater, the range found was 0.2 to 5.1 mg per pill more than twice the “potentially lethal dose”

Thanks but that doesn't answer my question. A lethal does varies greatly between people. Especially opiate users. Introduce the "potentially" qualifier and the DEA could make it mean all kinds of things. 

Obviously fentanyl is extremely dangerous - I'm just wary of what government agencies present with these types of things as they don't have a great history with accurately conveying what is and isn't dangerous to the populace. 

For fentanyl specifically it doesn't matter - unless you're a proficient opiate junkie already. I'm just nitpicking. 

I agree there’s no set lethal dose because it depends upon a lot of factors, opioid tolerance, mixing with alcohol or other poly pharmacy and the respiratory depressive effects are greatly amplified, it’s Russian roulette really, you may be fine, you may go to sleep and stop breathing. This was a problem with oxy as well and this is a nuclear bomb compared to oxy

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I’ve never heard of anyone who takes that shit intentionally. Seems to find a way to get laced into other controlled substances 

Cartels use it to add an addictive “kick”.  They cut anything they can with it.  It’s flowing over our border at an enormous rate.

• Hook 'Em 3

I just had my third or fourth talk to my 13 year old about pills and powders since this first happened. He’s 13 and heading to high school next year. I told him that it’s likely someone he knows doesn’t make it through high scoop because of an overdose. He’s going to go to The Woodlands High School which is really similar to the high school I went to. There are way too many affluent kids with nothing better to do than pop pills on the weekends. This opioid epidemic scares the hell out of me as a parent.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Have you seen the video of the sheriffs deputy who was simply processing a drug bust tied to a traffic stop? That was fentanyl..

Search on YT, pretty sure it's still up

52 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Not to downplay the dangers of this shit, but that original edited video was some bullshit. The Sheriff ended up walking back the overdose claims. Medical experts agree that you can't overdose from accidental contact. Certainly not in the manner and with the speed SDSD were claiming here. It's thought that he actually had a panic attack.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hozz said:

Friend of mine lost his 25 year old son to the exact same shit about a week ago.  It blows my mind what the most powerful nation to have ever existed puts up with.  We know where it's coming from.  We know how it's getting here.  We are now losing more people to overdoses annually than we lost in the entirety of the Vietnam war.

What should we do about it?

I know two different women who lost a son in college this calendar year that likely died from accidental fentanyl OD. One in Austin and one in Fayetteville. 

I don’t know for sure that one took something, I am just surmising from the quick word that spreading rumors about the kid taking something was hurtful. (So I am guessing that he took something, because he was planning an early afternoon gathering/pool party and then was found dead on the floor of a bathroom. Supposedly)

The other mother said that the kid was self medicating for anxiety-related sleep issues and went to sleep and never woke up. 

I have never had any friends lose a child like that and then two different kids (likely) die that way this year, plus Jake, plus…(????)

Seriously sketchy shit. 

A lot of deaths are happening because people mix their street-bought Xanax with alcohol -- something they've done recreationally for years -- except now that black-market "Xanax" is actually fentanyl. 

...the exact same reckless shit that young people have been doing for generations -- taking a bar of what they think is Xanax (or whatever) at a party... that same action is suddenly WAY more lethal.

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Like 1

Crazy how quick the personal responsibility crowd flips that switch off when drugs from foreign places are involved. I really commend the Ehlinger family for releasing this statement. Making these stories & dangers more publicly known will eventually cut into the demand some.

I’ve seen plenty of anti-smoking/vaping ads aimed at teens. Don’t recall a single one about not taking street pills. Maybe someone should look into that.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 7

5 hours ago, BrickTop said:

2 mg is correct, and one pound is enough to kill 453,592.4 people. 

4 hours ago, Dark Horse said:

It’s for cancer patients and it can be made in China. 

Anesthetic adjunct and pain management. Fentanyl patch was indeed developed to address cancer pain.

China sends many raw materials to Mexico to manufacture fentanyl (and methamphetamine too) and that stuff ends up coming across our southern border.

Sadly there are people who seek it out. A junky's jones knows no limits. Old school junkies who've kicked don't understand today's version because it just knocks you on your ass, whereas you can function on heroin. In fact, pure heroin, at non-toxic levels, is not damaging to your body at all, unlike cocaine, alcohol, nicotine, and a host of other drugs. Junkies end up all ratched and diseased from dirty needles, not the drug itself. 

But yeah in the early phases of heroin use a whole lot of amazing music has been made....Not so with Fentanyl. It only brings oblivion and death, apparently. 

11 hours ago, Ignatius said:

A good buddy of mine lost his stepson earlier this year to similar shit. He and I (and pretty much our whole crew) ingested as much of everything we could get our hands on when we were young (80’s, when people who didn’t get drunk or high did mountains of coke) and did a bunch of dumb shit, but at least we knew what we were getting into. This shit is fucked up…

Did we?  (80s UT student).

I bought coke from people I didn't know, acid from dragworms and X from whoever had it.  But for the grace of God and all that....

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Crazy how quick the personal responsibility crowd flips that switch off when drugs from foreign places are involved. I really commend the Ehlinger family for releasing this statement. Making these stories & dangers more publicly known will eventually cut into the demand some.

I’ve seen plenty of anti-smoking/vaping ads aimed at teens. Don’t recall a single one about not taking street pills. Maybe someone should look into that.

Crawl back in your hole 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

So if Jake did not intend to ingest Fetanyl w Xanax this was a homicide by poisoning, correct? But an accidental overdose means he intended to have some Fetanyl.

That's a good point. It's either a homicide or he knew he was taking fetanyl and OD'd. I think they just don't prosecute illegal drugs that are laced so this is a moot point. 

3 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Legalize and regulate drugs so people know what they are getting in them? The problem won't be fixed until this happens.

These types of drugs are never going to be safe for recreational use. Not having the cartels compound the meds would be a positive step but the actual drugs, opioids, have legal ways of being acquired now. They're not available for giggles and I can't see that they ever would be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Not sure I understand your problem with personal responsibility. I'm big on personal responsibility, but that doesn't make me a one trick pony. Being a believer in personal responsibility doesn't mean I'm good with people or their kids dying from foreign made and obviously dangerous drugs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

not a good take on this. 

47 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Not sure I understand your problem with personal responsibility. I'm big on personal responsibility, but that doesn't make me a one trick pony. Being a believer in personal responsibility doesn't mean I'm good with people or their kids dying from foreign made and obviously dangerous drugs.

My main point is no one is putting a gun to people’s heads and making them buy & take this stuff. If it was more widely known how dangerous it really is, that might turn many (obviously not all) people away from it. Sure we must curb the flow of it in here, but that’s just one facet of the issue. You can also simultaneously keep doctors from overprescribing similar drugs & create more public awareness of the danger. 3 angles of attack.

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1

Education and fear. First day of school, send everyone to the gym for a frank discussion of the dangers of the possibility of street drugs being laced or coming into contact with Fetanyl. Give them facts and statistics (based on some I've seen here):

More people die from coming into contact with Fetanyl each year, than Americans killed in the entire Vietnam War. 

In this student body, there is probably going to be one of you that dies from Fetanyl, maybe more depending on size of student body.

Your dealer may unknowingly give you a drug that is laced, or has come into contact with Fentanyl.

One pound of Fentanyl can kill over 450k people.

Show the penny picture.

List off the musicians, actors, rappers, and athletes that died from Fetanyl.

You really have to work on instilling in them that the risk is not worth the reward, that it can really happen to them, and hope that mindset carries over into college, or after high school. For college kids, same thing, but through campus organizations.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Just now, CHIEF said:

Education and fear. First day of school, send everyone to the gym for a frank discussion of the dangers of the possibility of street drugs being laced or coming into contact with Fetanyl. Give them facts and statistics (based on some I've seen here):

More people die from coming into contact with Fetanyl each year, than Americans killed in the entire Vietnam War. 

In this student body, there is probably going to be one of you that dies from Fetanyl, maybe more depending on size of student body.

Your dealer may unknowingly give you a drug that is laced, or has come into contact with Fentanyl.

One pound of Fentanyl can kill over 450k people.

Show the penny picture.

List off the musicians, actors, rappers, and athletes that died from Fetanyl.

You really have to work on instilling in them that the risk is not worth the reward, that it can really happen to them, and hope that mindset carries over into college, or after high school. For college kids, sane thing, but through campus organizations.

CHIEF

That might work with little kids.

It's not going to work with high school kids and college students. It never has.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That might work with little kids.

It's not going to work with high school kids and college students. It never has.

It probably won't until several of the "cool kids" and friends have multiple deaths at the same party. But you have to try something, so you can say you tried to warn them before the big wake up call. 

Do you think Jake's death was a wake up call for the team, and others at the University?

CHIEF

16 hours ago, Hozz said:

Friend of mine lost his 25 year old son to the exact same shit about a week ago.  It blows my mind what the most powerful nation to have ever existed puts up with.  We know where it's coming from.  We know how it's getting here.  We are now losing more people to overdoses annually than we lost in the entirety of the Vietnam war.

Not trying to cloak room this thread but damn, it's right down the road.

EL PASO, Texas — Federal agents in this section of the southern border say they’ve seen a staggering 4,000 percent increase in fentanyl seizures over the last three years.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/fentanyl-seizures-u-s-southern-border-rise-dramatically-n1272676

If you really want unlaced Xanax, can you not just go to your doctor and tell them you are having anxiety issues?  Probably cheaper that way as well.  I have no idea what it is selling for on the street, but a month supply was something like $5 five years ago.  With a $40 copay for the office visit, you’re set for 6 months for $70.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Hate said:

How much does it actually take to kill someone? Is only a trace in an “regular” pill enough or are they getting pills that are pure fentanyl?

"it depends" - one dose that may fatal for one person may not be fatal for another. 

On average, fentanyl is considered to be lethal when someone takes 2 mg, although less than this can do it. Xanex is like $5/2mg on the street for a white ladder, although you can get a green hulk (home aid) for a little less and its mixed with all kinds of shit.

14 hours ago, Hate said:

I just had my third or fourth talk to my 13 year old about pills and powders since this first happened. He’s 13 and heading to high school next year. I told him that it’s likely someone he knows doesn’t make it through high scoop because of an overdose. He’s going to go to The Woodlands High School which is really similar to the high school I went to. There are way too many affluent kids with nothing better to do than pop pills on the weekends. This opioid epidemic scares the hell out of me as a parent.

Honestly my friend group stuck to the natural herb and booze and we were fine. I had friends that turned into car-radio stealing junkies in HS. Others committed suicide or totally ruined their lives somehow because of hard drugs.

It's sick how it may be the best option to steer your kid in the right direction by handing him a spliff on a weekend when mom aint around lol.

19 minutes ago, Zeus said:

EL PASO, Texas — Federal agents in this section of the southern border say they’ve seen a staggering 4,000 percent increase in fentanyl seizures over the last three years.

This isn't just an illegal drug problem.  Its simply a drug problem.  Fentanyl sucks.  

14 minutes ago, Zeus said:

"it depends" - one dose that may fatal for one person may not be fatal for another. 

On average, fentanyl is considered to be lethal when someone takes 2 mg...

So much this.  Someone in the medical profession speak up about how many people are seizing up on this legal drug.  If you medical professionals don't I hope someone like @THUJONE can/will.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1