Jake Ehlinger OD Discussion and Information

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Sure no one “needs” to know, but like others have said, sometimes it does help to know or better understand potential dangers. Moreso for the young people and not adults.

Not saying this is what happened here, but I had a close friend overdose on opioids and die at 18. He was athletic, former baseball teammate, and had gone to marine corps basic training. His death really drove home to me that even though I was young and healthy, I wasn’t invincible and life is a fragile thing. And sometimes one mistake really can cost you everything. 

It was Len Bias for me. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 hours ago, Hate said:

Yeah, I really had no idea this was thing in college let alone high school. My son will be going into 8th grade next year in The Woodlands.  It's very similar to the high school I graduated from in San Antonio in that there are a bunch of suburban kids with access to mommy and daddy's drugs.  When it was just weed or alcohol like when I was growing up, I have a pretty good idea how to talk to my son about that or even recognize if he is under their influence.  Pain killers I have no idea about.  I don't know how pervasive they are.  I don't know if I can expect them to be at the soon to be high school parties my son will be going to.  I don't want to trample on anyone's grave, I want to treat this as a learning moment for me and for how to prepare my son for what he will be facing soon.

The realities are insane. You can get any drug you can think of and a couple you’ve probably haven’t heard of in the bathrooms at Alamo Heights HS.

I was talking to a guy over drinks who’s name lots of people would know, old money very respected and established society member in SA and Austin. (I’m no one special but my wife grew up in Olmos Park and their families knew each other thru business)

While we’re talking he excuses himself politely and says in a thick drawl “pardon me for a sec, I’ll be right back. I gotta go say hi to that lady over there. She’s been my coke dealer since 8th grade”

The drugs in Terrell Hills… My God man. It’s incredible how much deep TX wealth is here and how many of those people are so incredibly and desperately miserable. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, hornian said:

It was Len Bias for me. 

Absolutely for me as well.  Len Bias is the reason I have never used cocaine. I was in high school when he died and I figured if cocaine could kill someone like him then it absolutely to kill me too.  My high school was notorious for its drug culture.  I had many friends that would use cocaine daily in the parking lot and every weekend at parties.  I never did because of Len Bias.

• Hook 'Em 1

So, people will die if we never learn Ehlinger's cause of death.

Instead of a heartfelt discussion between Ward and the Beav, there will only be awkward silence and sad, sad doubt about the true dangers of whatever cut a young life short. 

If you think this is opioid or fentanyl related (I still don't much care), maybe you could sit down and recall why you are even aware of these issues. Then, get off your dead ass and do your own research. Arm yourself with easily obtained knowledge and, talk to your child about something unrelated to sports. 

Don't rely on the Sports Page or Surly for whatever a "teaching moment" looks like in your corny family world.

Maybe you could use Ehlinger's death as a teaching moment about how a life lost young is so terrible. You can even throw in something about being respectful and not prying into something that is actually none of your business. Or maybe, you can review your posts on this thread and explain how brilliant you are and how everybody else is so dumb.

Sorry, I find this shit idiotic. How did parents teach their children anything before college football?

Blast away.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Instead of a heartfelt discussion between Ward and the Beav, there will only be awkward silence and sad, sad doubt about the true dangers of whatever cut a young life short. 

If you think this is opioid or fentanyl related (I still don't much care), maybe you could sit down and recall why you are even aware of these issues. Then, get off your dead ass and do your own research. Arm yourself with easily obtained knowledge and, talk to your child about something unrelated to sports. 

Don't rely on the Sports Page or Surly for whatever a "teaching moment" looks like in your corny family world.

Maybe you could use Ehlinger's death as a teaching moment about how a life lost young is so terrible. You can even throw in something about being respectful and not prying into something that is actually none of your business. Or maybe, you can review your posts on this thread and explain how brilliant you are and how everybody else is so dumb.

Sorry, I find this shit idiotic. How did parents teach their children anything before college football?

Blast away.

That’s a ridiculous characterization of what’s happening here, especially when the main reason you’re so guarded or even really care about this tragedy is precisely because he was a college football player & who his brother is. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Blast away.

Because a tragic death by someone like Jake resonates with people that are connected to UT or football or whatever. It absolutely matters that people know what happened to him. It could save someone's life.

21 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Sam’s eulogy even made reference to “he was never the same after dad died.” Of course, he was just a little kid back then.

fuck man. This hit me right in the feels

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s a ridiculous characterization of what’s happening here, especially when the main reason you’re so guarded or even really care about this tragedy is precisely because he was a college football player & who his brother is. 

Nope. But I bet that makes you feel better. I'm attracted to the absurdity I describe in my post.

8 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Because a tragic death by someone like Jake resonates with people that are connected to UT or football or whatever. It absolutely matters that people know what happened to him. It could save someone's life.

So, any information I could dig out about anybody's life should be published on the remote possibility it could save a life?

C'mon. The Marine in you avatar would laugh you out of the room.

Reply as you will. I'll leave the thread for Jake Ehlinger.

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

what a bizarre thread.

I'm glad I could do my part. 

Actually, qualms about my part are making me leave off from this discussion. Serious derailment.

Sam spoke admirably at the memorial. 

Just now, RomaVicta said:

So, any information I could dig out about anybody's life should be published on the remote possibility it could save a life?

C'mon. The Marine in you avatar would laugh you out of the room.

Reply as you will. I'll leave the thread for Jake Ehlinger.

He's actually dead so he can't laugh anymore. And we were both machine gunners and NCOs for the same gd unit. Gtfo with your melodrama. And no this is a unique death that resonates with people much like Basilone's death resonated with people.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Xanax basically killed a good friend. Ruined his life, marriage, relationship with kids, job, future, etc. He's probably predisposed to addiction, but it took him down hard, and he's never gotten back up. I wouldn't touch the stuff.

Just now, usmc0331horn said:

He's actually dead so he can't laugh anymore. And we were both machine gunners and NCOs for the same gd unit. Gtfo with your melodrama. And no this is a unique death that resonates with people much like Basilone's death resonated with people.

Look into conjugation and the implications of the word "would." Also, I didn't realize Marines tradtionally vamped on reflected glory of past heroes. Congrats on your CMH.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Nope. But I bet that makes you feel better. I'm attracted to the absurdity I describe in my post.

most certainly there is a social stigma about drug use and abuse. there's a lot of implications of that stigma, but one of them is an unwillingness to have honest discussions about it, especially amongst parents and young children. it seems like this thread helps perpetuate that stigma, which to me seems like a bad thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, usmc0331horn said:

It is quite healthy to have an open discussion about this after a horrible death like Jake's. Silence is unhealthy, unproductive and the status quo.

to take it a step further...there are certainly people on this site whose views on drug abuse typically boil down to 'if you're a druggie then you get what's coming to you'...basically, 'too bad you subhuman'

i would imagine jake's death, if it was drug related, would challenge that notion for them. jake probably looked an awful lot like their kids. so maybe it could help those people gain a better perspective around the issue, which would be beneficial in helping shape policy for the better.

or not, who knows.

• Hook 'Em 3

My Son is not on the Team,  but close to a number of current players.  He "knew" what had happened before the news was even public.  It's a sobering discussion to have with a 21 year old - and it did hit home - that he and his friends aren't bullet proof, invisible, and immortal even though that's how we all felt at that age.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

For those looking at this as a life lesson to pass on to your kid, good for you.  Don't put it off, arm your self, and be present.  

For those looking at the government to step in and help, watch 'Crime of the Century' on HBO. 

I think government does play a role though.  There is the unfortunate shadiness surrounding the FDA approval of various opioids and inappropriate (likely illegal) marketing of the opiods that led to a huge US market for fentanyl, etc. - which is at the heart of the documentary you cite.  Then there is the issue of having a black market for recreational (or self-prescribed) drug use that results in unregulated production.  That lack of regulation endangers lives.  The black market only exists because of the stances our government has taken - we don't have a system that manages the legal use of recreational drugs.  

26 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Blast away.

I have no personal connection to Jake.  My desire to know would be purely to satiate the (natural) curiosity.  But Jake is not some anonymous figure and the facts were going to come out.  I think this board (by its standards) showed a lot of restraint and respect in the wake of the news. 

If things that aren't true are being circulated here, than fuck us.  But I do not think that is the case and I don't understand the desire to just not talk about it and act like the COD is irrelevant.  Does the COD alter Jake's legacy or make what happened any less tragic?  Absolutely fucking not and I haven't seen a single post that suggests that.

I do not have kids but you really don't sound like you do either.  Do you know that athletes are the most influential people to a lot of kids?  How is it a stretch to think that a parent from this board being able to talk to their kid (also presumably a longhorn fan) about what happened to Jake would have far more impact than the typical/canned, don't-do-drugs sit down.   Like it or not, what happened to Jake as an example carries far more weight than some statistic around anonymous casualties from some random news article.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

My Son is not on the Team,  but close to a number of current players.  He "knew" what had happened before the news was even public.  It's a sobering discussion to have with a 21 year old - and it did hit home - that he and his friends aren't bullet proof, invisible, and immortal even though that's how we all felt at that age.  

When you get to the age/maturity, it safe to say almost every man looks backs and wonder how the hell am I still alive? That hit me hard, as there were a couple cases were  I pulled some really dangerous stunts and didn't really think about it all.  Unfortunate that many don't get to make it to that realization. 

Edited by Cardinal12
  • Hook 'Em 5

48 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

That lack of regulation endangers lives. 

The reference to the HBO series is to make the point that no regulation will be forthcoming because the government has ceded regulation of their own industry to Big Pharma in return for vast amounts of cash. They legislate themselves. 

11 hours ago, cam4mav said:

No to de-rail anything and not looking for some discussion on it.... but Xanax is fucked.

Have a now ex girlfriend got hooked on it after going through some traumatic shit, was getting it from street dealer because it was cheaper and more convenient. Think door dash vs going to a dr at 1/5th cost and no need for any "psyc eval" or anything on paper. Just text Jimmy and it's there in an hour.... Getting her weaned off that shit was like nursing a toddler but it's a 30 year old woman with a full time job. Highly addictive, horrible withdrawal, and absolutely nukes the personality and energy and emotion out of a person, good and bad, leaves you numb and neutral to the world, like a blank canvas that won't take on any paint. She got out of it, but it cost her a lot personally and financially, it cost me a metric ton emotionally, and the relationship never recovered. She's doing better but it was incredibly rough for 6 months and the ensuing year after was no picnic. I fucking hate that shit. Even without the threat of fent it's a dangerous fucking thing and seeing it labeled as lightweight absolutely triggers the fuck out of me.

Not throwing any stones, just sharing an anecdotal experience. This stuff is serious and I can't imagine having a kid in highschool now and having to have conversations like this. They probably won't get it..... cause their kids and parents just are dramatic... anyways...

/ off soap box, carry on plz.

1 hour ago, Mikey4 said:

Xanax basically killed a good friend. Ruined his life, marriage, relationship with kids, job, future, etc. He's probably predisposed to addiction, but it took him down hard, and he's never gotten back up. I wouldn't touch the stuff.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the last thing I want to do is trivialize a drug.

But even as a recovering alcoholic myself, there are some drugs that people dabble with in relative safety (pot, coke, benzos, alcohol), and others that seem to take people down hard and fast (meth and opiates/oids).  It's all variable and addiction to any of it sucks balls.

But I think we can all agree that there's kind of a spectrum of dangerousness from taking a drink to sticking a needle in your arm.  Xanax tends to be more on the taking a drink end of the spectrum.

1 hour ago, TheAuditor said:

invisible archie GIF by Archie Comics

10 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

The reference to the HBO series is to make the point that no regulation will be forthcoming because the government has ceded regulation of their own industry to Big Pharma in return for vast amounts of cash. They legislate themselves. 

I get that. But it doesn't mean it should be like that or that we can't change the regulations around pharmaceuticals or recreational drugs. Or that we should discuss better ways to handle it. The idea that those things could impact our lives, even those from well-to-do neighborhoods or young and seemingly healthy people, should add weight to the topic.

It shouldn't be like that, but it is. Some state governments are trying to hold big pharmaceuticals accountable, but via the state's chief legal officer and their court system, not by any meaningful form of regulation. But, even that's an uphill battle in the face of arguments against lost tax revenue and for less government oversight.  

Edited by Saint Tacky
typo

46 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

But I think we can all agree that there's kind of a spectrum of dangerousness from taking a drink to sticking a needle in your arm.  Xanax tends to be more on the taking a drink end of the spectrum.

nit picking but like anything there is a scale of consumption that decides the effects. Drinking a beer when you have a burger at dinner =/= Drinking a fifth of vodka a day. A nibble off a bar to chill out =/= eating a full bar twice a day to zombie yourself. That later is much closer to the sticking a needle in your arm side of the scale than "just taking a drink". It's all relative but acknowledging that and educating/discussing accordingly is important. Not saying if you look at a bar you'll be a zombie that can't kick the habit, but it doesn't take as much to slide from 1/4 bar to half to a full, certainly a lot easier than drinking a fifth imo. There is a real danger in how easy it is to get too deep with it, as with any pills really. And like it was said above, the addiction and withdrawals are just fucking horrible.

41 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

It’s been years and years for me, but does Xanax still just come in the bars or footballs? How are people buying “Xanax” that has fentanyl in it?

bars, some with little breaks in em to make 1/4s, some 1/2s, some without any breaks. No idea how/why fentanyl is getting in there but sounds like some have watched some docs about it and might know.

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

How are people buying “Xanax” that has fentanyl in it?

you, the ehlingers, the national medical community, apd, grieving families, etc all want to know this. i don't think most anyone outside of law enforcement know.

You step on any down drug with fentanyl because it's so fucking cheap/easy to get and the initial feel is pretty close to the genuine article.  Just like in the mid-to-late '80s ecstasy was stepped on with crank - crank was easier to make (and therefore cheaper) and the initial rush feels pretty close.  The process is damn easy with pills - crush, mix, re-press.  Most times you don't even need to use a solvent - although that's also pretty easy, albeit slower.

I don't think the dealers are trying to kill anyone - not that they care so much.  They're just trying to turn $10,000 into $20,000.

For a short period after his death, I said to myself "it's probably not "this," not that I know anything about Jake, but just seeing him as Sam's brother (naive I know).  But then reality kicked in.  Suicide seemed very unlikely days after his brother was drafted.  Of course it an OD.  Terrible. kid's been through a lot with his Dad and I wonder if he's been on meds in the past because of that or to deal with injuries from playing football.  Who knows, other folks get hooked with none of those factors.  Terrible stuff.  Such a waste.  Hope Sam, Mom and sister can get through this and find peace and I hope that if some good can come from this, it will be a cautionary tale to people on the same road.  

15 hours ago, Hate said:

Yeah, a lady I used to work with had one of her 3 boys OD and die.  He had worked for us as well so I knew him pretty well.  He was a healthy 25-26 or so year old so we knew it most likely had to do with drugs. I never found out which ones in particular but I assumed meth because that's was the only drug I really knew about powerful enough to kill someone.  Looking back on it now, it was probably pain killers that got him too as I don't really think meth kills people by OD (I could be completely wrong as I don't know a thing about meth either).  This particular death has really shaken me as I now have a clearer picture of what my son might be up against in the near future.  I think I'll have a similar drug talk with him that was in this clip from Knocked Up.  Start around the 1:20 mark.

Dude, honestly yeah sit your son down and, yeah this sounds weird, but actually promote weed. The worst thing that ever happened to me when I was stoned was eating a triple cheese from whataburger then like 3 frozen pizzas and I murdered the shitter the next day. But, unlike booze, I was mostly under control and knew better than to drive or do drunk shit like spending a shit zillion dollars at the yellow rose or whatever. But just pound it into his head that snorting or taking pills or whatever at the high school age is a one way ticket to rehab or even worse, ODing. 

He may roll his eyes or pull a “whatever, dad.” But when he’s alive in his mid to late 20’s while a handful of people he went to high school with ended up ODing or doing a few stints in rehab, he’ll thank you and respect you even more for being straight up with him. I’m in my late 20’s, don’t have kids, but man I feel your and other parents who have teenage kids doing stupid shit high school shit anxiety. But yeah man. Just be honest with your boy and everything will be alright, man. Good luck dude. You got this. 

18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Dude, honestly yeah sit your son down and, yeah this sounds weird, but actually promote weed. The worst thing that ever happened to me when I was stoned was eating a triple cheese from whataburger then like 3 frozen pizzas and I murdered the shitter the next day. But, unlike booze, I was mostly under control and knew better than to drive or do drunk shit like spending a shit zillion dollars at the yellow rose or whatever. But just pound it into his head that snorting or taking pills or whatever at the high school age is a one way ticket to rehab or even worse, ODing. 

He may roll his eyes or pull a “whatever, dad.” But when he’s alive in his mid to late 20’s while a handful of people he went to high school with ended up ODing or doing a few stints in rehab, he’ll thank you and respect you even more for being straight up with him. I’m in my late 20’s, don’t have kids, but man I feel your and other parents who have teenage kids doing stupid shit high school shit anxiety. But yeah man. Just be honest with your boy and everything will be alright, man. Good luck dude. You got this. 

Why lie?

Just now, David Dennison said:

Most kids who do drugs in high school never OD or wind up in rehab. 

Oh really? That’s odd. I’ll just call up some of my dead friends then since they didn’t OD. God damn dude what the fuck is wrong with you? You care more about cancelling the Eyes of Texas than addressing a benzo and opioid epidemic. Go fuck yourself 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Oh really? That’s odd. I’ll just call up some of my dead friends then since they didn’t OD. God damn dude what the fuck is wrong with you? You care more about cancelling the Eyes of Texas than addressing a benzo and opioid epidemic. Go fuck yourself 

I just think it's counterproductive to lie to kids about drugs and alcohol. They aren't stupid and they can see right through bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Welp, this shitty news has at least has given me the impetus to have a sit down with my 15 year old.  Need to make sure he and his friends stay the fuck away from any street pills.  I was talking to my wife and I'm like, do we tell him to come to us if he wants to try Xanax?  I mean, shit, I don't know, that seems strange, but maybe it will keep him alive.

• Hook 'Em 1

So.....you’re cool with high schoolers popping Xanax and Valium and OxyContin? 

Can you fucking read!?!? I specifically fucking said to be honest about and even promote booze and weed while also pointing out that street Xanax you’ll get from that sketchy kid is insanely fucking dangerous, especially at that age. The people I know that are dead or in their 6th or whatever stint in rehab aren’t there cause of booze(sort of. Definitely didn’t help) or weed. They got hooked on fucking pain killers or benzos around 16 or 17 and it’s fucked up their entire lives 

But whatever. Let’s get back to the EOT cause that’s what really matters to you 

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Jake Ehlinger OD Discussion and Information