Jake Ehlinger OD Discussion and Information

Tex Pete

Not trying to be rude but I would be curious to know how old you are.  I hope that you live a long and healthy life but what many don't understand is that this stuff doesn't necessarily go away and at some point when you get older, it hits you bigtime. I had a frat brother that was a great guy and always the life of the party, Got drunk every weekend and the next day he seemed to be fine. All of a sudden in his late 40s he was diagnosed with liver disease from all of the drinking he did when he was younger and never made it to 50. Just because you can get away with it when you're younger doesn't mean it will never come back at you. Just stay away from that crap if you can.

In a thread about a kid that seemingly OD’d, you have distinguished yourself as a true bummer.

“I know someone that drank when he was young and then died in his forties. You’ll probably die soon too.”

Counter argument: Keith Richards.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

What an odd take. I don’t know if you have a child but talking abstract dangers to someone whose prefrontal cortex is not yet developed doesn’t carry near the weight that a concrete example of the death of someone they know or know of does. I don’t know what killed Jake. I know what my teenagers think killed Jake (my oldest has several friends at UT and knows kids from WL and they are all talking). The family absolutely has a right to privacy but they can do some good by bringing it out into the open.

Mical Padgett was a linebacker here awhile back. He was a great player who suffered ACL tears back when they were career ending as often as not. His son Blaine was a football player at Rice who died after taking fentanyl laced counterfeit oxycodone a few years back. His family was very open about it and I have no doubt it raised awareness and made other kids at least think twice about their choices. Did it save lives? Very likely

A senior at my daughter’s school who had just accepted a D2 scholarship died similarly, and again the family was open about it. I feel terrible for any parent who has to go through such a tragedy, but I will definitely use them as teachable moments. 

My point is specific to this case and the absurd claim that the details of Jake Ehlinger's death must be revealed because somebody on the internet claims it is necessary to help children. It's worse than absurd.

Your post seems to suggest, speciously, that I make some sort of broad claim about how children learn. You're incorrect.

I don't have children. I know that merely caring about children doesn't raise me to the holy and rare rank of sanctimonious parent. I will ever lament that I won't be tempted to tell someone that I know better because I've had a child. What a thrill it must be. 

So, my friend, please don't make this something stupid about children and how we must ignore any other standard of civility, decency, or respect for privacy for some imaginary learning/teaching moment for a child. If someone is a parent, you just have to figure ouit how to use an example other than this one. 

If this is an odd take, then maybe you should employ your medical credentials to have me put away. It doesn't feel odd. It, in fact, doesn't "feel" like anything other than a rational conclusion.

Jake, RIP until a self-righteous warrior for saving the children digs you up and digs into everything in your life that could provide a teaching moment. 

There was once a fine old American saying. "It's none of my business."

Best wishes to the Ehlinger family. 

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

In a thread about a kid that seemingly OD’d, you have distinguished yourself as a true bummer.

“I know someone that drank when he was young and then died in his forties. You’ll probably die soon too.”

Counter-counter argument? Shane McGowan ....still alive but...damn

• Haha 2

You found one guy that is immune to everything evidently.

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

My point is specific to this case and the absurd claim that the details of Jake Ehlinger's death must be revealed because somebody on the internet claims it is necessary to help children. It's worse than absurd.

Your post seems to suggest, speciously, that I make some sort of broad claim about how children learn. You're incorrect.

I don't have children. I know that merely caring about children doesn't raise me to the holy and rare rank of sanctimonious parent. I will ever lament that I won't be tempted to tell someone that I know better because I've had a child. What a thrill it must be. 

So, my friend, please don't make this something stupid about children and how we must ignore any other standard of civility, decency, or respect for privacy for some imaginary learning/teaching moment for a child. If someone is a parent, you just have to figure ouit how to use an example other than this one. 

If this is an odd take, then maybe you should employ your medical credentials to have me put away. It doesn't feel odd. It, in fact, doesn't "feel" like anything other than a rational conclusion.

Jake, RIP until a self-righteous warrior for saving the children digs you up and digs into everything in your life that could provide a teaching moment. 

And an even odder take

• Haha 2

• immamac changed the title to Jake Ehlinger OD Discussion and Information

The other thread is about remembering Jake and expressing the feelings related to his passing. It doesn't need to be all weird and derailed talking about the prescription drug problem. This thread is great for that, and the reason it is here (for now) is so random asshole trolls can't post stupid shit. You need to be a consistent and good contributor at this time to share information or speculate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Killing your customers seems like a bad business model for the drug dealers. 
Not if the drug makers are in China and have an agenda..

They know the cartels will keep buying, and American addicts will either be unaware or keep on playing Russian Roulette in spite of knowing. Read an article about this more than a year ago, but it was mostly ignored by the media along with many other things.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

3 minutes ago, ousux said:

Not if the drug makers are in China and have an agenda..

They know the cartels will keep buying, and American addicts will either be unaware or keep on playing Russian Roulette in spite of knowing. Read an article about this more than a year ago, but it was mostly ignored by the media along with many other things.

Oh you mean like the huge opoid crisis caused by a for profit endeavor? Weird how that works isn't it? No one is making Xanax like they are meth and stuff. It all comes from factories with licensing. Every pill can be traced back to a licensed operator, so why are there so many "dark" pills floating around? 

My daughter is a junior at WHS and wasn’t surprised by this at all.  Not Jake specifically, she didn’t know him, but Westlake. Apparently the drug culture is pretty endemic, it was at my high school too but the fentanyl angle on this is pretty scary.  I don’t know that there is a whole lot to be done but man it is sad as shit this kid died from some laced drugs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Heard the accidental Xanax with fentanyl story today. It could literally happen to anyone whose kids are on campus now. Call your kids on campus, have a serious talk with them. The amount of people looking for adderall and having no clue what something actually is in a pill is rampant and could very easily affect them

RIP

12 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

image.jpeg.fbf11854461526c9d0b27c260110bb1e.jpeg

• Haha 2

Researchers gathered for a conference on addiction this week received a grim update on the growing spread of street drugs laced with deadly synthetic opioids including fentanyl.

The trend contributed to a stark rise in overdoses that left more than 90,000 Americans dead during the 12-month period ending in September 2020, according to the latest data.

"We've seen a very significant rise in mortality," said Dr. Nora Volkow, head of the National Institute of Drug Abuse, who spoke Thursday as part of an on-line gathering of the American Society of Addiction Medicine.

Volkow said people are often consuming fentanyl "unbeknownst to them," resulting in a spike in overdose deaths.

According to preliminary figures released earlier this month by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, synthetic opioid fatalities rose by an unprecedented 55% during the twelve months ending in September 2020.

"It's rare to find people who only overdose on cocaine or who only overdose on methamphetamines," she said. "Fentanyl is being used to lace the illicit drug market because it's very profitable."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/04/22/989833102/overdose-deaths-surged-in-pandemic-as-more-drugs-were-laced-with-fentanyl

On 5/14/2021 at 7:07 PM, David Dennison said:

Do you not understand that all I'm saying is don't lie to kids about what happens when you use drugs? Sure, bad things can happen, but that doesn't mean bad things will happen. Telling them otherwise defeats the purpose of educating them about the real dangers associated with drug use.

Usually I let a string of stupid fucking posts go unaddressed. Especially when people are piling on.  But I feel like it needs to be reiterated that you’re a total dipshit on this. Congratulations. 

8 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

I know. But why would a dealer lace it with fentanyl? He’s adding cost to his goods.

Does adding it make it more addictive?

I assume to make it more potent in an effort to gain and keep customers. But when they don’t know or care what they are doing, sometimes the bathtub gin makes you blind. 

I'm sure it goes something like this.

1.  I get 100 bars of manufactured Xanax

2.  I can make x dollars per bar selling on the street

3.  If I could sell 200 bars of Xanax I can make x times 200 instead of x times 100

4.  So I grind that shit up put in fillers and repress so I can turn my 100 bars into 200 bars

5.  I know some of my filler needs to kick the drug back up or people will say "this stuff is weak, doesn't do shit" and find another source

6.  I find a cheap filler that gives a pretty similar kick ass high but comes with quick death and destruction if I'm not really fucking careful with it.

7.  I'm an asshole drug so I am neither careful nor really particularly concerned with the health outcomes of my downstream clients

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m sure there are some cases where dealers are “lacing” Xanax with fentanyl in the methods described above, but that’s not what’s happening with most of these pills. These are counterfeit pills coming from across the border. They’re being mass produced and made to look like Xanax, Oxycodone and other “downers”, but they’re Fentanyl and in most cases don’t even contain traces of the drugs that they look like. Fake Adderall are being made with meth too.

https://www.google.com/amp/mynbc15.com/amp/news/nation-world/dea-fake-pills-from-mexico-flooding-the-black-market-08-13-2020

This recent Statesman article from just a few weeks ago (which was based on a press release), uses the word “laced” here. But what is being described again here is these counterfeit pills.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.statesman.com/news/20200420/5-austin-overdose-deaths-possibly-tied-to-fentanyl-laced-pills-police-say%3ftemplate=ampart

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

3.  If I could sell 200 bars of Xanax I can make x times 200 instead of x times 100

4.  So I grind that shit up put in fillers and repress so I can turn my 100 bars into 200 bars

5.  I know some of my filler needs to kick the drug back up or people will say "this stuff is weak, doesn't do shit" and find another source

6.  I find a cheap filler that gives a pretty similar kick ass high but comes with quick death and destruction if I'm not really fucking careful with it.

7.  I'm an asshole drug so I am neither careful nor really particularly concerned with the health outcomes of my downstream clients

I'm not fully convinced that they're deliberately lacing Xanax with fentanyl.

Effective doses of fentanyl are in micrograms.  For a non-opioid-tolerant takers, it only takes a tiny tiny bit to kill someone.

It makes sense that they would boost heroin and other opiods with it, but not other things.

8 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

I’m sure there are some cases where dealers are “lacing” Xanax with fentanyl in the methods described above, but that’s not what’s happening with most of these pills. These are counterfeit pills coming from across the border. They’re being mass produced and made to look like Xanax, Oxycodone and other “downers”, but they’re Fentanyl and in most cases don’t even contain traces of the drugs that they look like. Fake Adderall are being made with meth too.

https://www.google.com/amp/mynbc15.com/amp/news/nation-world/dea-fake-pills-from-mexico-flooding-the-black-market-08-13-2020

This recent Statesman article from just a few weeks ago (which was based on a press release), uses the word “laced” here. But what is being described again here is these counterfeit pills.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.statesman.com/news/20200420/5-austin-overdose-deaths-possibly-tied-to-fentanyl-laced-pills-police-say%3ftemplate=ampart

That, too, makes more sense than taking a Xanax/alprazolam, which is not an expensive drug to make or buy, and adding fentanyl to it for whatever reason.  While benzos are ultimately depressants, their users aren't typically looking to go on the nod like a heroin junky.  A lot of people like benzos because they create the sensation of being mildly drunk without drinking, the smell, and while retaining more functionality, typically, than a drunk. They don't want to be knocked on their ass.

Here’s another article about counterfeit pills.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1261280

And these two articles from the Philadelphia Inquirer are worth reading. Last year in Philadelphia, 81% of overdose deaths were attributed to Fentanyl which has practically replaced all other opioids in the city.

https://www.inquirer.com/health/opioid-addiction/pressed-pills-philadelphia-fentanyl-overdose-crisis-20210123.html

https://fusion.inquirer.com/philly/health/fentanyl-synthetic-opioid-drug-overdoses-philadelphia-pennsylvania-20181024.html-2

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Effective doses of fentanyl are in micrograms.  For a non-opioid-tolerant takers, it only takes a tiny tiny bit to kill someone.

It makes sense that they would boost heroin and other opiods with it, but not other things.

I dunno, the article Foggy just posted sort of made it sound like they probably are.  They're fucking drug dealers, I doubt nailing the exact mechanisms of action of the pill they are pushing and purporting as real is exactly high on their list of concerns.  Especially if their target buyers are kids, occasional users etc who might not really know or care about what the difference is between a heroin high, vs a oxy high vs a xanax high etc.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Usually I let a string of stupid fucking posts go unaddressed. Especially when people are piling on.  But I feel like it needs to be reiterated that you’re a total dipshit on this. Congratulations. 

No, I'm not. No matter how many times you say it. 

21 hours ago, Helobious said:

Why aren’t they allowed to use this death as an example? Honest question. 

Man. We're all speaking two different languages. I don't make the above assertion. 

The point is people suggesting the necessity of using this death as an example as though it is itself a critical fact without which the public will suffer. The point is not about modalities in child rearing. 

Actually, there's nothing to stop you from attributing anything you like to this death as a lesson. He died of drugs. Drugs bad. He died of syphillis, unprotected sex bad. He was killed by police after he robbed and shot up a bank, crime bad.

If you can't raise your kids without using the sad example of the death of a Texas walk-on linebacker, then I guess you have no choice. By all means, save the children!

I abandon this argument. I don't abandon any takes no matter how odd they seem to some.

Have a nice Sunday, written with neither irony nor rancor.

21 hours ago, immamac said:

The other thread is about remembering Jake and expressing the feelings related to his passing. It doesn't need to be all weird and derailed talking about the prescription drug problem. This thread is great for that, and the reason it is here (for now) is so random asshole trolls can't post stupid shit. You need to be a consistent and good contributor at this time to share information or speculate.

Hear hear.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

If you can't raise your kids without using the sad example of the death of a Texas walk-on linebacker, then I guess you have no choice. By all means, save the children!

This is where you are twisted. Nobody said they needed this example to raise their kids. Some of us just felt that if the information was out there, regardless of what it was, we should be free to discuss it on Surly of all places.

I don’t currently live in the US so I don’t follow every news story, but will be sending two children back for college. If it weren’t for this story, I would have had no idea about “prescription” drugs being laced with this shit and therefore it would have been an omission in my years of drug discussions with them. If the benefit of this discussion does “save children”, as you seem to enjoy mocking, then I don’t give a fuck if you’re offended by it. I have a feeling Jake’s mom understands the potential benefits of the discussion far more than you. Basically, take your self-righteous grandstanding somewhere else.

Edited by Coelenterate Fuccboi
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

This is where you are twisted. Nobody said they needed this example to raise their kids. Some of us just felt that if the information was out there, regardless of what it was, we should be free to discuss it on Surly of all places.

I don’t currently live in the US so I don’t follow every news story, but will be sending two children back for college. If it weren’t for this story, I would have had no idea about “prescription” drugs being laced with this shit and therefore it would have been an omission in my years of drug discussions with them. If the benefit of this discussion does “save children”, as you seem to enjoy mocking, then I don’t give a fuck if you’re offended by it. I have a feeling Jake’s mom understands the potential benefits of the discussion far more than you. Basically, take your self-righteous grandstanding somewhere else.

Somebody with your name pretty much said he did. 

The above post is by you.  It's on the original thread. I didn't bother looking for the others who made the case for getting the COD so they could use this as a teaching moment. I think that's a poor reason. Read my posts more closely and you will  better grasp my point.

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Man. We're all speaking two different languages. I don't make the above assertion. 

The point is people suggesting the necessity of using this death as an example as though it is itself a critical fact without which the public will suffer. The point is not about modalities in child rearing. 

Actually, there's nothing to stop you from attributing anything you like to this death as a lesson. He died of drugs. Drugs bad. He died of syphillis, unprotected sex bad. He was killed by police after he robbed and shot up a bank, crime bad.

I abandon this argument. I don't abandon any takes no matter how odd they seem to some.

Have a nice Sunday, written with neither irony nor rancor.

I just think it’s more real to people when it “hits close to home.” It is easy to point to Jake and lament that someone with so much going for him died in such a sad manner at a young age. It was unnecessary, and lots of people can learn from it. 

My father died from going cold turkey off of a
benzodiazepine. It wasn't Xanax it was Klonapin. Both benzos.

There's only 2 drugs that can be fatal when not correctly detoxing. Alcohol and Benzos.

And what do they give you to detox off of Alcohol? A benzo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Somebody with your name pretty much said he did. 

The above post is by you.  It's on the original thread. I didn't bother looking for the others who made the case for getting the COD so they could use this as a teaching moment. I think that's a poor reason. Read my posts more closely and you will  better grasp my point.

What part of, “personally like to know” do you not understand? The sarcastic “need” comment was having to visit another site to find out.

You’re the fucking fence post and I’m done arguing with you.

Edited by Coelenterate Fuccboi
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

What part of, “personally like to know” do you not understand? The sarcastic “need” comment was having to visit another site to find out.

You’re the fucking fence post and I’m done arguing with you.

My feelings. They're hurt.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/16/2021 at 11:08 AM, Surly Bevo said:

That isn't at all how this works. You don't boost xanax with fent like that. (And to expound - dealers do #5 all the fucking time. Its why some xanax sucks and some is good. It also isn't a "kick ass high" the way opiates are (but it is nice). Not even close) It isn't nearly as interchangeable as stuff like coke/meth/molly (or the main reason fent is a thing in the first place - fent and heroin or oxys).

If I took a quarter bar of xanax (like I always start with every time I buy any amount) I would INSTANTLY know if there was an opiate in there. Like... within 20-30 mins easily and I wouldn't touch that shit and I'd alert whoever I bought it from. An opiate high and a benzo high are VERY different - esp. at potent levels like good xanax or oxys or heroin.

The reason people might die from it is because they get extremely irresponsible with xanax use (like 4, 5, 8 bars a day habit) to where as soon as they get a new batch - maybe they've already got the shakes - they don't do any due diligence and instead just pop 2-3 bars. Well guess what - if those happened to be bad ones (which I have never come across in my life among dozens of dealers and batches of the stuff, for the record) yeah... you might wake up dead. 

Which - it is what it is. I'm not judging in any way here. Just explaining some of the social behavior behind this stuff because a lot of people just aren't exposed to that world and enjoy making false assumptions about how it works.

On 5/16/2021 at 11:48 AM, TwiceHorn said:

That, too, makes more sense than taking a Xanax/alprazolam, which is not an expensive drug to make or buy, and adding fentanyl to it for whatever reason.  While benzos are ultimately depressants, their users aren't typically looking to go on the nod like a heroin junky.  A lot of people like benzos because they create the sensation of being mildly drunk without drinking, the smell, and while retaining more functionality, typically, than a drunk. They don't want to be knocked on their ass.

This^

On 5/16/2021 at 11:41 AM, TwiceHorn said:

And this^

And I know for a fact that TwiceHorn knows more about this type of stuff than almost anyone on this board.

So think what you want - and I'm not saying I have all the answers - but I'd put a good chunk of change on 99.5% of the ILEGAL xanax being sold in this country not being laced with fentanyl let alone any type of opiate. 

Especially when you consider the economics of a lot of this. 

(Also probably not leaving this up for very long or may edit certain admissions so save it if you plan on coming back to discuss)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Oh and as far as a "PSA for the kids":

Never touch opiates 

Or meth

Be very careful with alcohol

Coke is expensive, fairly dangerous and good at burning your life down 

Don't drink and drive

Be VERY VERY VERY fucking careful with something like xanax if you are inexperienced and are choosing to drink with it. It will take you to some weird/dark places really quickly.

36 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It will take you to some weird/dark places really quickly.

Seriously, isn't that part of the anticipated payoff?