Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Besides #3*, these tenets have no business being taught to children in the classroom. I hope for the sake of my public school brethren that they are not being, as you say. But in any case, I don't care and I would suggest if you do care about this issue, one way or another, vote with your feet and wallets.

*There is only one race: the Human Race.

Who is teaching this in schools? Where is the proof of reality in this statement? This is just fucking fear mongering fox news bullshit.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Besides #3*, these tenets have no business being taught to children in the classroom. I hope for the sake of my public school brethren that they are not being, as you say. But in any case, I don't care and I would suggest if you do care about this issue, one way or another, vote with your feet and wallets.

You said yourself that you decided to send your kids to private school just because a person told you that CRT is taught at public school. Interesting length to go to over something you “don’t care” about.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

You said yourself that you decided to send your kids to private school just because a person told you that CRT is taught at public school. Interesting length to go to over something you “don’t care” about.

Yea I had a bunch parents of the local public school we feed into tell me about their experiences before pulling their kids out and they themselves cited CRT. Maybe they misappropriated and maybe I misappropriated CRT as the reason for why we went the route we went, hence my “don’t care what you want to call it, it’s not for me.” comment

Just now, DonkeyCigars said:

If they aren’t being taught then great; we are all in agreement for once!

What I'm saying is that you and yours are taking the bait from your far-right media bubble

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yea I had a bunch parents of the local public school we feed into tell me about their experiences before pulling their kids out and they themselves cited CRT.

and leaning on the "people are saying" trope without actually bothering to verify if what you heard is even real or not. It's real intellectually lazy and dishonest to come in hot and make outlandish claims and then proffer for people to "educate me please".

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, DaysOff said:

Why is that fucking Canadian that can't pronounce about or sorry everywhere now? Never heard of him six months ago.

He rose to power with his vocal opposition to C-16 in Canada and that caused his star to rise in right wing circles. 

Recently, I think Tucker started doing the whole equality v. equity defense, signaling Peterson was a thought leader for that type of right-wing populism. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Yea I had a bunch parents of the local public school we feed into tell me about their experiences before pulling their kids out and they themselves cited CRT. Maybe they misappropriated and maybe I misappropriated CRT as the reason for why we went the route we went, hence my “don’t care what you want to call it, it’s not for me.” comment

CRT boogeyman has grown to encompass any teaching that does not perpetuate the "Lost Cause" fiction.  

Edited by Foosters
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Who is teaching this in schools? Where is the proof of reality in this statement? This is just fucking fear mongering fox news bullshit.

Did you not see the curriculum from the conference that Sack posted. Teachers from his kids are sent to that conference. They are not being sent by the school administrators to party and cheat on their husbands.

3 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Did you not see the curriculum from the conference that Sack posted. Teachers from his kids are sent to that conference. They are not being sent by the school administrators to party and cheat on their husbands.

CRT mapping in schools

A state-by-state list of more than 200 colleges and universities promoting CRT

One of two books on my son's 8th grade summer reading list at Kealing includes "Stamped: Racism, Antiracism and You. A Remix" written by notable CRT theorist, ibram kendi.

I got the book on tape and plan on listening to it with him when he and I are on a road trip this summer. I'll listen to it with him. There'll be things I agree with, there'll be things I disagree with and we'll discuss them both.

It's much better to debate things you disagree with openly vs trying to ban or cancel it

We read To Kill A Mockingbird when I was in 8th grade which I think allows for similar conversations.

• Hook 'Em 6

21 minutes ago, Foosters said:

CRT boogeyman has grown to encompass any teaching that does not perpetuate the "Lost Cause" fiction.  

There are lots of liberal parents who have issues with CRT being taught in schools. There have been articles in the NYT and WSJ discussing the unease of many parents of children at elite private schools over what is being taught and their hesitancy to speak out lest they be tagged a racist. You're either being disingenuous or unaware of what is happening. Parents of kids in Southlake pushed back against the CRT inspired DEI initiatives through a special referendum. To say that CRT is not in the schools and is a figment of the imagination is straight out bullshit and lies. 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Yes, I think those “other parents” are morons who watch too much Tucker, not concerned intellectuals with PhD’s. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, smoky said:

One of two books on my son's 8th grade summer reading list at Kealing includes "Stamped: Racism, Antiracism and You. A Remix" written by notable CRT theorist, ibram kendi.

I got the book on tape and plan on listening to it with him when he and I are on a road trip this summer. I'll listen to it with him. There'll be things I agree with, there'll be things I disagree with and we'll discuss them both.

It's much better to debate things you disagree with openly vs trying to ban or cancel it

We read To Kill A Mockingbird when I was in 8th grade which I think allows for similar conversations.

You mean the now banned TKAM?

51 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

For the 80th time, they are not being taught to elementary or middle school children. It’s just not clear why you keep going back to that. How many times must this be stated for comprehension to set in?

Those tenets ARE being taught in colleges and universities where CRT is a framework fit within the appropriate discipline.

9 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

It's a professional conference. Have you ever been to one? It's a networking opportunity mixed in with some education. I attend plenty of conferences and take a ton of continuing education courses. That doesn't mean I incorporate everything into my practice or my firm's practice. Sending educators to a conference doesn't mean the material in the conference is going to become part of the curriculum. 

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

CRT mapping in schools

A state-by-state list of more than 200 colleges and universities promoting CRT

Oh no, colleges and universities openly exchanging philosophical ideas, what horror!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

For the 80th time, they are not being taught to elementary or middle school children. It’s just not clear why you keep going back to that. How many times must this be stated for comprehension to set in?

Seattle [Public Grade School]

Seattle Public Schools tells teachers that the education system is guilty of “spirit murder” against black children and that white teachers must “bankrupt [their] privilege in acknowledgement of [their] thieved inheritance.”

San Diego [Public K – 8]

San Diego Public Schools accuses white teachers of being colonizers on stolen Native American land and tells them “you are racist” and “you are upholding racist ideas, structures, and policies.” They recommend that the teachers undergo “antiracist therapy.”

Cupertino, California [Public School, Third Graders]

A Cupertino, California, elementary school forces third-graders to deconstruct their racial and sexual identities, then rank themselves according to their “power and privilege.” They separate the eight-year-old children into oppressors and oppressed.

Springfield, Missouri [Public Middle School]

A middle school in Springfield, Missouri, forces teachers to locate themselves on an “oppression matrix,” claiming that white heterosexual Protestant males are inherently oppressors and must atone for their “covert white supremacy.”

Philadelphia [Public School – Fifth grade]

A Philadelphia elementary school forces fifth-graders to celebrate “Black communism” and simulate a Black Power rally to “free Angela Davis” from prison. At this school, 87 percent of students will fail to achieve basic literacy by graduation.

New York [Public School, Grades 6 – 12]

The principal of the East Side Community School in New York sent an email to white parents telling them that they should “subvert white authority,” become “white traitors,” and then advocate for full “white abolition.”

Buffalo [Public Grade Schools]

Buffalo Public Schools teaches students that “all white people” perpetuate systemic racism and forces kindergarteners to watch a video of dead black children warning them about “racist police and state-sanctioned violence” who might kill them at any time.

Arizona [ Department of Education Report regarding Babies]

The Arizona Department of Education created an “equity” toolkit claiming that babies show the first signs of racism at three months old and that white children become full racists—”strongly biased in favor of whiteness”—by age five.

California [Department of Education – Primary and Secondary School Students]

The California Department of Education passed an “ethnic studies” curriculum that calls for the “decolonization” of American society and has students chant to the Aztec god of human sacrifice. The solution, according to one author, is “countergenocide.”

North Carolina [Public grade schools and high schools]

North Carolina’s largest school district launches a campaign against “whiteness in educational spaces”—and encourages teachers to subvert families and push the ideology of “antiracism” directly onto students without parental consent.

Santa Clara, California [Public grade schools and high schools]

Santa Clara County Office of Education denounces the United States as a “parasitic system” based on the “invasion” of “white male settlers” and encourages teachers to “cash in on kids’ inherent empathy” in order to recruit them into political activism.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Those tenets ARE being taught in colleges and universities where CRT is a framework fit within the appropriate discipline.

You remind me of hpslugga getting lost in the weeds when it comes to the evolution of the spread offense when it comes to CRT. You have done your dissertation on this subject and know more about this than all of us. I appreciate that you think all of us have a rudimentary knowledge of these concepts. Nevertheless, whatever you want to call what this crap is CRT, DEI, etc is present in every day life and it is a very recent occurrence. People are posting concrete examples of this stuff being present in corporate America AND in the schools. 

Edited by Macklemore
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It's a professional conference. Have you ever been to one? It's a networking opportunity mixed in with some education. I attend plenty of conferences and take a ton of continuing education courses. That doesn't mean I incorporate everything into my practice or my firm's practice. Sending educators to a conference doesn't mean the material in the conference is going to become part of the curriculum. 

Oh no, colleges and universities openly exchanging philosophical ideas, what horror!

How do you think anti-racism edicts from the AFT or school administrators get implemented? It is by teachers going to conferences and learning this shit to teach to the kids. 

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

So we've moved on from the trope that' "it's not being taught anywhere"?  Gotcha.  

Who has said it wasn't taught/discussed in a variety of college disciplines? Why would that even be bad? It seems like y'all believe education means teaching answers as opposed to exploring ideas and methods. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

You remind me of hpslugga getting lost in the weeds when it comes to the evolution of the spread offense when it comes to this shit. You have done your dissertation on this subject and know more about this than all of us. I appreciate that you think all of us have a rudimentary knowledge of these concepts. Nevertheless, whatever you want to call what this crap is CRT, DEI, etc is present in every day life and it is a very recent occurrence. People are posting concrete examples of this stuff being present in corporate America AND in the schools. 

And you’re failing to understand DEI initiatives and CRT.

Part of the problem is you and others thinking they are the exact same thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

You're being either disingenuous or too literal.  Of course no one is teaching the "5 tenants of CRT" to elementary school children.  Just like you teach addition and subtraction to them before they get to physics, DEI is the vehicle operating under the framework of CRT.  There are many examples posted upthread and elsewhere...

In Springfield, Missouri, a middle school forced teachers to locate themselves on an “oppression matrix,” based on the idea that straight, white, English-speaking, Christian males are members of the oppressor class and must atone for their privilege and “covert white supremacy.”

An elementary school in Cupertino, California—a Silicon Valley community with a median home price of $2.3 million—recently forced a class of third-graders to deconstruct their racial identities, then rank themselves according to their “power and privilege.”

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

So we've moved on from the trope that' "it's not being taught anywhere"?  Gotcha.  

It's a lie and the same posters who are saying it doesn't exist are quick to call out others for doing the same.

2 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

You're being either disingenuous or too literal.  Of course no one is teaching the "5 tenants of CRT" to elementary school children.  Just like you teach addition and subtraction to them before they get to physics, DEI is the vehicle operating under the framework of CRT.  There are many examples posted upthread and elsewhere...

Exactly. He is either being disingenuous or way too literal. DEI is a tool inspired by CRT.

Edited by Macklemore

2 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

How do you think anti-racism edicts from the AFT or school administrators get implemented? It is by teachers going to conferences and learning this shit to teach to the kids. 

School administration policies don't get created or implemented by professional conferences. If there is a specific official school policy that mandates teaching CRT to students, by all means point that out. You're also conflating anti-racism as a general idea (why would you even be against that?) with CRT.

they are trying to push it in to middle and high schools(you can avoid it except when you take history or govt or some elective) but the biggest thing is they are pushing it through  universities elementary education degrees now(yes Texas is one). Its not called CRT but it is basically that.  They will stop using the CRT acronym(kind of like Global Warming to Climate Change) soon because its become a hot button related to the idiot Kendi.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

appropriate discipline meaning elementary education degrees.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/debate-emerges-over-racism-and-white-supremacy-in-oregon-math-instruction/ar-BB1e3qNq

The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) recently sent a newsletter to math educators in the state. The newsletter contained information about a virtual micro-course in math equity instruction that teachers could sign up for. It was titled "Pathway to Math Equity Micro Course 2.0: Valuing and elevating student discourse in the math classroom." The course was provided by A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction, an entity focused on dismantling racism in mathematics instruction. 

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/debate-emerges-over-racism-and-white-supremacy-in-oregon-math-instruction/ar-BB1e3qNq

The Oregon Department of Education (ODE) recently sent a newsletter to math educators in the state. The newsletter contained information about a virtual micro-course in math equity instruction that teachers could sign up for. It was titled "Pathway to Math Equity Micro Course 2.0: Valuing and elevating student discourse in the math classroom." The course was provided by A Pathway to Equitable Math Instruction, an entity focused on dismantling racism in mathematics instruction. 

well duh...Numbers are RACIST!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You're also conflating anti-racism as a general idea (why would you even be against that?) with CRT.

Holeeeee shit...do you even KNOW what anti-racism means?  Here's a hint, it's not what you think it means.

"The defining question is whether the discrimination is creating equity or inequity. If discrimination is creating equity, then it is antiracist. If discrimination is creating inequity, then it is racist. . . . The only remedy to racist discrimination is antiracist discrimination. The only remedy to past discrimination is present discrimination. The only remedy to present discrimination is future discrimination." -- Kendi, How to Be an Anti-Racist

Insofar as Kendi’s book speaks for modern antiracism, then it should be praised for clarifying what the “anti” really means. Fundamentally, the modern antiracist movement is not against discrimination. It is against inequity, which in many cases makes it pro-discrimination.

Do you agree with Kendi's pro-discrimination approach?  Do we need more discrimination?

And the anti-racism solution, again per Kendi (NOT ME):

What would it take to achieve a world of racial equity? Top-down enforcement of racial quotas? A constitutional amendment banning racial disparity? A Department of Antiracism to prescreen every policy for racially disparate impact? These ideas may sound like they were conjured up to caricature antiracists as Orwellian supervillains, but Kendi has actually suggested them as policy recommendations. His proposal is worth quoting in full:

"To fix the original sin of racism, Americans should pass an anti-racist amendment to the U.S. Constitution that enshrines two guiding anti-racist principles: Racial inequity is evidence of racist policy and the different racial groups are equals. The amendment would make unconstitutional racial inequity over a certain threshold, as well as racist ideas by public officials.  It would establish and permanently fund the Department of Anti-racism (DOA) comprised of formally trained experts on racism and no political appointees. The DOA would be responsible for preclearing all local, state and federal public policies to ensure they won’t yield racial inequity, monitor those policies, investigate private racist policies when racial inequity surfaces, and monitor public officials for expressions of racist ideas. The DOA would be empowered with disciplinary tools to wield over and against policymakers and public officials who do not voluntarily change their racist policy and ideas." -- Kendi, writing for Politico

Are you in favor of a constitutional amendment enshrining WrongThink?

Edited by Horn of Gabriel
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

See my dozens of other examples posted literally a few posts up....my dude.....

Lol, you're leaning on a right-wing thinktank publication to back your right-wing thinktank arguments! Whodathunkit!

Can't wait to hear the new arguments tomorrow after tonight's episode of tucker

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Holeeeee shit...do you even KNOW what anti-racism means?  Here's a hint, it's not what you think it means.

my favorite from the idiot.  "The amendment would make unconstitutional racial inequity over a certain threshold, as well as racist ideas by public officials."

So racial inequity is OK to a certain point.  a point which someone will get to decide is OK(using some type of "maths"(non-racist kind) I assume).  And racist ideas by public officials are unconstitutional.   This guy is an utter moron and anyone that listens to him about inequity is dumber for it.

21 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

You didn't get hit up with a big dose of it's kissing cousin Critical Legal Studies at Hahvahd?

The two big crits at UT during my time were both fresh from HLS.

For some reason I always thought Brickhorn went to UPenn Law. Maybe I'm confusing him for someone else. 

8 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Lol, you're leaning on a right-wing thinktank publication to back your right-wing thinktank arguments! Whodathunkit!

Can't wait to hear the new arguments tomorrow after tonight's episode of tucker

You know that the exact same can be said about you and where you get your shit except sub in left-wing think tanks, publications and commentators. The line between opinion and news has become blurred to all of our detriment. Do you somehow only digest unbiased, unvarnished truth without spin? If so, where might I find it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

You know that the exact same can be said about you and where you get your shit except sub in left-wing think tanks, publications and commentators. The line between opinion and news has become blurred to all of our detriment. Do you somehow only digest unbiased, unvarnished truth without spin? If so, where might I find it.

Reuters is pretty solid given they're just a wire service. Brookings is good for middle of the road think thank pieces. If you want decent news commentary on TV, I suggest going Jake Tapper, Fareed Zakaria, and Chris Wallace. Each of them has their own biases but at least they're intelligent and you know what their biases are and will generally learn something listening to them (but by and large cable TV should be avoided). 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, TheFlyingBoat said:

Reuters is pretty solid given they're just a wire service. Brookings is good for middle of the road think thank pieces. If you want decent news commentary on TV, I suggest going Jake Tapper, Fareed Zakaria, and Chris Wallace. Each of them has their own biases but at least they're intelligent and you know what their biases are and will generally learn something listening to them (but by and large cable TV should be avoided). 

AP is solid, as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

IDK if you actually read what I post, but I keep to posting news sources like AP, Reuters, and local journalism when I bring sources to DT

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

1.) Ordinariness - racism is difficult to address and cure because it's not acknowledged.

2.) Interest Convergence - because racism benefits both elite Whites and working class Whites, large segments of society have little incentive to eradicate it. 

3.) Social Construction - race and races are products of social thought and relations.

4.) Differential Racialization - The "dominant society" racializes different minority groups at different times.

5.) Intersectionality - No person has a single, easily stated, unitary identity.  (Example: A White feminist can be Jewish, a Black activist can be male/female, straight or gay, a Latino can be a Democrat, a Republican, or even Black.)

6.) Storytelling - Because of their different histories and experiences with oppression, a PoC can communicate to Whites the matters and experiences that Whites are unlikely to know.

(Delgado & Stefancic, 2017)

*This is the framework I used for my dissertation.

There are different CRT frameworks. PSU Education Professor Uju Anya posted one on Twitter recently.

CRT tenet 1: Endemic racism. This principle says racism is predominant and very widespread in our thinking, interactions, systems, practices, institutions. Such that, inequality and unfair advantages whites have over POC are assumed natural, inevitable, and unchangeable.

CRT tenet 2: Critique of liberal myths. This says the idea all are treated equally with same rights under law, education, housing, other institutions is a lie. So, liberal notions like meritocracy (even playing field), objectivity, race neutrality (colorblindness) are myths.

CRT tenet 3: Whiteness as property. This says being white in US is a valuable commodity that gives those who possess this "property" (whiteness) unearned privileges like preference, authority, exclusivity, legitimacy, greater chance of survival (eg, police encounters), etc.

CRT tenet 4: Interest convergence. This says POC can only advance on mass scale in US institutions, society when their interests converge with white people's (when whatever benefits POC also benefits whites). Eg, white women are greatest beneficiaries of affirmative action.

CRT tenet 5: Counternarrative. This says personal stories (narratives) of Black people and other POC are legitimate authorities and evidence that counter (challenge) dominant white, elite, male voices society typically treats as sources of standard or objective knowledge.

CRT tenet 6: Intersectionality. This says Black women (especially) and other POC experience racism in unique ways inseparable from and worsened by other oppression like sexism, classism, ableism, homophobia. So, women's policies, for example, don't affect us all the same.

This may be more telling since she an education professor who publishes in the CRT area.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Do you agree with Kendi's pro-discrimination approach?  Do we need more discrimination?

Anti-racism refers to action against racism. It is true that Kendi has adapted the term for a more specific set of ideas. Discrimination just means to treat groups differently, and I don't have any conceptual issue with policies that try to counteract hundreds of years of racist policies by affirmatively lifting up the victims of those policies. Things like financial aid or other benefits specifically for minorities are types of policies I'm generally in favor of and could be categorized as antiracist discrimination. However, the devil is the details and I may agree with some such policies and not others. I don't have a clear understanding of what Kendi's proposed Constitutional Amendment would do, so I don't really have an opinion on it. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

3 hours ago, mchookem said:

i mean... didn't they just pass a bill THIS SESSION making sure it's not taught??

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_609a96c8e4b063dccea1a3ef?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003

does this not address the public school boogeyman?? what am i missing?

Edited by mchookem