"they have two times out remaining"

SEC

"Thank you for calling, a representative will be with you shortly.  You are seven times out." - 1-800-KeithJackson'sMom

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

I have an uncle that does this with fucking everything. “Fuimos a News Braunsfels la semana pasada. To Schlitterbahns.”

New Brauns is full.  Californians should move elsewhere.

On 5/26/2021 at 12:13 AM, bernorange said:

On my phone, so wont link, but Mirriam Webster says "time-out" is noun.  With hyphen.  Without quotes.

I can post a link while on my phone. Why can’t you? Surely you don’t have some hangup about posting a link from your phone. That wouldn’t make sense. A reasonable person might conclude that you just don’t know how. Here’s the Merriam Webster link, posted from my phone (and what else would it be other than a noun?):

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/time-out

I clicked on this thread thinking it was a Texas Longhorn football game where we can back to win with a lot of grass between us and the end zone and not much time on the clock.  

Please edit title to: "English Language Nerds Assemble!"

32 minutes ago, Mole said:

If a group of sergeants major bought a time share together, would it be the sergeants major’s time share?

No, it’d belong to the NCOs banging said Sergeant Majors’ wives.

On 5/26/2021 at 8:36 AM, TexArcher said:

Except that it's not because timeout in sports contexts is a compound noun, not a hyphenated noun.

100% of people who say "times out" are pompous douche nozzles who are trying to sound smarter than they are.

It's become a compound noun because people stupid enough to use the term "douche nozzles" in public started smashing the words together as it exited their mongoloid mouths all the way to the pages of Mirriam Webster. Like an ouroboros of calloused fighting texas aggy hands ruining the jeans of the person to their left.

On 5/26/2021 at 8:36 AM, TexArcher said:

Except that it's not because timeout in sports contexts is a compound noun, not a hyphenated noun.

100% of people who say "times out" are pompous douche nozzles who are trying to sound smarter than they are.

35 minutes ago, BigXII said:

It's become a compound noun because people stupid enough to use the term "douche nozzles" in public started smashing the words together as it exited their mongoloid mouths all the way to the pages of Mirriam Webster. Like an ouroboros of calloused fighting texas aggy hands ruining the jeans of the person to their left.

I mean, that's cute, but you're still wrong.

Do you think "notesbook" is the plural of "notebook"?  Were you close with either of your grandsfather?  How many toolsbox do you own?

16 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I mean, that's cute, but you're still wrong.

Do you think "notesbook" is the plural of "notebook"?  Were you close with either of your grandsfather?  How many toolsbox do you own?

Would it be Editors-Nazi?

_

The reality is that we speak it as a single noun phrase as in that_Buckeye_over_there's Bush Lite spitoon.  Whether we write it as one word, hyphenated, or two words is arbitrary.