2021 NBA Offseason Thread: Business as Usual? -- Trades/Free Agency/Retirements/Etc.

Patrick Bateman

On 8/28/2021 at 9:09 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Hmmm

Apparently you havent been paying attention 

And one more for the people in the back. 

Being angry at the refs and/or losing and acting out is much different than being a total dick to your teammates or coaches, so this is pretty weak, but no issues taking MBU at face value, again, why not just pay him to go away?  Move on?  Seems weird to have that black cloud hang over you for a year or two until someone can be maybe inserted into a trade for money purposes, but the Cavs aren't going anywhere soon, so maybe it's worth it to them.  

Moving on.....

Seen a lot of Jordan to the Lakers comments.....why?  Didn't they already sign Howard?  Why would you need to 3 bigs, two of whom can't shoot?  

Experiencing the current front office's trade skills, Spurs will probably get a couple of flat cokes and used jock strap for Thad.

Don't really care about Ben Simmons anymore.  Just let it end.

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

but no issues taking MBU at face value, again, why not just pay him to go away? 

There’s an old saying that $1 today is worth more than $1 tomorrow.

It makes more sense for the Cavs to spread out the payments over two years than to give him one big check and pay him to ring chase on the Lakers.

Again, Love is absolutely entitled to his contract and the Cavs are absolutely entitled to pay him to stay home, especially when he’s a net negative on the court and locker room.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

There’s an old saying that $1 today is worth more than $1 tomorrow.

It makes more sense for the Cavs to spread out the payments over two years than to give him one big check and pay him to ring chase on the Lakers.

Again, Love is absolutely entitled to his contract and the Cavs are absolutely entitled to pay him to stay home, especially when he’s a net negative on the court and locker room.

Sure...... but that really benefits no one.  And I have a feeling, if they offered him freedom to go compete, he probably would relent on the 100% of the contract.  Maybe not a lot or what would make you feel comfortable but it's a clean start.  Another option is to stretch him.

20 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Being angry at the refs and/or losing and acting out is much different than being a total dick to your teammates or coaches, so this is pretty weak, but no issues taking MBU at face value, again, why not just pay him to go away?  Move on?  Seems weird to have that black cloud hang over you for a year or two until someone can be maybe inserted into a trade for money purposes, but the Cavs aren't going anywhere soon, so maybe it's worth it to them.  

Moving on.....

Seen a lot of Jordan to the Lakers comments.....why?  Didn't they already sign Howard?  Why would you need to 3 bigs, two of whom can't shoot?  

Experiencing the current front office's trade skills, Spurs will probably get a couple of flat cokes and used jock strap for Thad.

Don't really care about Ben Simmons anymore.  Just let it end.

They are just in on any name now.   That said, Gasol is completely useless at this point so I wouldn't be counting him in the big rotation.

22 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Well if that's what he wanted to do, he'd do it, wouldn't he? TF is your point?

The only reason anyone is suggesting that he takes less that what is owed on the contract would be because he wanted to leave.    No one is suggesting that he takes less money and stays.   That isn't even possible anyway.   Do you even know what you are discussing?

Edited by d2o

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

There’s a high chance that Tyrese Maxey will be a part of any Ben Simmons trade.

Rich Paul would like both of his clients out of Philadelphia.

The bigger conspiracy is, is Rich Paul taking out some revenge on Sixers because the 76ers gave Nerlen Noel dirt against Rich Paul in Noel's lawsuit.

Prior to talking to some 76ers people, Noel was frustrated and suspected some bad stuff was going on but never had a reasonable reason to doubt RP working for him. After talking to some in the 76ers org - it confirmed Rich Paul wasn't doing his job for his non-superstar clients. 

On 8/31/2021 at 5:47 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

There’s a high chance that Tyrese Maxey will be a part of any Ben Simmons trade.

Rich Paul would like both of his clients out of Philadelphia.

Maxey wants out from what little I understand.  He just doesn’t have the cache in the league yet to make those statements. If he can get to a team with a good head coach he’s going to score a whole bunch of points for them. 

On 8/31/2021 at 6:57 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Wouldn't want Simmons within 1000 feet of a team I liked. Not for 36 million a year.

At least be fun to watch if you have guys with holes in their games. 

Remaining contract:

image.png.047795853414adba2bd0d5c69b3faf5a.png

He I’m not sure either Simmons or Philadelphia understand the shit value of the contract.  I’m gonna get my popcorn ready and see what happens here.  Anytime I think a contract is untradeable it ends up getting traded. I’m curious as to what team is stupid or desperate enough to trade for Simmons.  

40 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

He I’m not sure either Simmons or Philadelphia understand the shit value of the contract.  I’m gonna get my popcorn ready and see what happens here.  Anytime I think a contract is untradeable it ends up getting traded. I’m curious as to what team is stupid or desperate enough to trade for Simmons.  

I would like to commend Elton Brand on one of the most impressive GM jobs in recent memory. He took a clean roster and a treasure trove of assets and absolutely lit them all on fire so he could make short-sighted trades and enter into a bunch of god awful contracts all to get a team that maxes out at the conference semi-finals. Very impressive. 

11 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Guys can sign long term deals now knowing they will request a trade in a year or two.

You have to think owners are going to want something in the next CBA to put a stop to this.  Like maybe a supermax  deal drops to a regular Max deal if the player gets traded.  

26 minutes ago, d2o said:

They couldn't find any clean takers so have to trade away some draft capital to get rid of the contract.  Where they should be picking, that's not much but it is something.  They already backfilled Jordan's spot with a more cost effective option.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

They couldn't find any clean takers so have to trade away some draft capital to get rid of the contract.  Where they should be picking, that's not much but it is something.  They already backfilled Jordan's spot with a more cost effective option.

4 second round picks over the next 6 yrs isn't really much.  I'm more surprised the Pistons gave up on Sekou.   They've been pretty excited about him.

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Still owed $91 million?

Yeah, I'll pass.

For TWO whole years of his almost-guaranteed playoff missing services!! He's practically an expiring that's owed almost 9 digits. Unreal.

But hey, maybe he'll turn down that $47M player option for next year!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Wiz managed to turn Wall's contract (along with a lottery protected 1st rounder) into Russell Westbrook. And then they turned Westbrook and a gaggle of second round picks and second round swaps into Spencer Dinwiddie, Kyle Kuzma, Montrezl Harrell, KCP, Aaron Holliday and the 31st pick in the draft.  That's some serious chicken salad out of chicken shit right there.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 9/14/2021 at 2:46 PM, d2o said:

Cut him a check.    If you want him gone.  Its the only way.

I think we've learned there can always be another bad contract out there that can be traded for a bad contract.

Kevin Love?  Al Horford?  What contracts sort of stink right now?  It's going to be challenging and it will depend on how motivated the parties are but bad contract for bad contract is probably the play.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I think we've learned there can always be another bad contract out there that can be traded for a bad contract.

Kevin Love?  Al Horford?  What contracts sort of stink right now?  It's going to be challenging and it will depend on how motivated the parties are but bad contract for bad contract is probably the play.

My thinking is that if he doesn't want to play in HOU then he prolly wont want to play in CLE.   I agree we have seen that there is not a contract that cannot be traded but I dont know what kind of agreement the two sides have come to when it comes to him being moved.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the Wiz managed to turn Wall's contract (along with a lottery protected 1st rounder) into Russell Westbrook. And then they turned Westbrook and a gaggle of second round picks and second round swaps into Spencer Dinwiddie, Kyle Kuzma, Montrezl Harrell, KCP, Aaron Holliday and the 31st pick in the draft.  That's some serious chicken salad out of chicken shit right there.
They turned chicken salad into shittier chicken salad

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk