Jump to content

Headed to Omaha


Tailgate
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ve never been. My neighbor, years ago, would never stop talking about how awesome it was. It’s been on my bucket list since then. I’m scratching it off this year. My youngest is at Vandy. My family went and cousin teaches at Ole Miss…and the Horns will highly likely be there too.

Maybe I should have started this in food and travel…but any must eat/drinks would be appreciated. If you’re there the first weekend…happy to grab you a beer.

\m/

  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You definitely have to eat some steak in Omaha. Whiskey steaks are considered a local specialty. The Drover is an excellent steakhouse, and I like Cascio’s, which is an old Italian Steakhouse. Omaha used to have several of them. Cascio’s is probably not quite as good overall, but the owner’s son once told me how much he liked the Longhorns and secretly couldn’t stand Husker fans. They also have some Longhorn team pics on the wall. 

The Reuben sandwich was invented in Omaha at the Blackstone Hotel. Crescent Moon is a bar across the street from the Blackstone building, and their Reuben is awesome.

Upstream is a bar lots of people like, as is the Mattress Factory. MF is right by TD Ameritrade field, so that can be a good or bad thing. 

The Old Market area has plenty of good food and bars and is relatively close to TD Ameritrade  

Someone on this thread is bound to mention Runza. I like the novelty of it, but it’s pretty weird. Kind of a meat pie sandwich/burger with sauerkraut on it. 
 

I’ll think about what else I’d recommend. Omaha is an interesting place to me. I travel to and through It pretty regularly. 

  • Hook 'Em 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I’ll be there 19-23 for the first 2 games 

I thought about staying until Wednesday…I guess that would get more games in. Just wanted to make sure I could see each team at least once. Currently scheduled to leave Tuesday.

Edited by Tailgate
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grew up in Omaha… some of my suggestions:

Lunch spot: Pepperjax, Philly cheesesteak place that started in Omaha… just trust me

Dinner: Lo Sole Mio. Best Italian food I’ve had outside of literal Italy. You’ll need a reservation

Dessert: Coneflower Creamery is excellent

It might be cliche for Omaha but you really should go checkout the zoo if you have a free day you’re not catching a game. Plus you get to go see the tribute to ‘Blatt (OG CWS stadium)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Hook 'Em 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

You definitely have to eat some steak in Omaha. Whiskey steaks are considered a local specialty. The Drover is an excellent steakhouse, and I like Cascio’s, which is an old Italian Steakhouse. Omaha used to have several of them. Cascio’s is probably not quite as good overall, but the owner’s son once told me how much he liked the Longhorns and secretly couldn’t stand Husker fans. They also have some Longhorn team pics on the wall. 

The Reuben sandwich was invented in Omaha at the Blackstone Hotel. Crescent Moon is a bar across the street from the Blackstone building, and their Reuben is awesome.

Upstream is a bar lots of people like, as is the Mattress Factory. MF is right by TD Ameritrade field, so that can be a good or bad thing. 

The Old Market area has plenty of good food and bars and is relatively close to TD Ameritrade  

Someone on this thread is bound to mention Runza. I like the novelty of it, but it’s pretty weird. Kind of a meat pie sandwich/burger with sauerkraut on it. 
 

I’ll think about what else I’d recommend. Omaha is an interesting place to me. I travel to and through It pretty regularly. 

Runza is just a cabbage burger.  No sauerkraut in/on it.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They have you covered on places to eat. I feel like since you are going to the early part of the CWS you should at least stop by Pauli's once to see the spectacle.  Not sure how long id recommend you stay but that is likely age related ;-)

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tailgate said:

I’ve never been. My neighbor, years ago, would never stop talking about how awesome it was. It’s been on my bucket list since then. I’m scratching it off this year. My youngest is at Vandy. My family went and cousin teaches at Ole Miss…and the Horns will highly likely be there too.

Maybe I should have started this in food and travel…but any must eat/drinks would be appreciated. If you’re there the first weekend…happy to grab you a beer.

\m/

There’s an awesome aircraft museum outside of town. Dad and I went back in 06. We got lucky and booked a hotel months in advance and it ended up being the same hotel North Carolina ended up in. Got to meet Andrew Miller. My dad and I were on the elevator, he was wearing a “the dude abides” shirt. Miller and 3 others get on and one slaps Miller on the chest and goes “dude check it out. That’s what we call Andrew. ‘The Dude’” 

You’ll have more fun than you can ever imagine. Love it up dude

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

You definitely have to eat some steak in Omaha. Whiskey steaks are considered a local specialty. The Drover is an excellent steakhouse, and I like Cascio’s, which is an old Italian Steakhouse. Omaha used to have several of them. Cascio’s is probably not quite as good overall, but the owner’s son once told me how much he liked the Longhorns and secretly couldn’t stand Husker fans. They also have some Longhorn team pics on the wall. 

The Reuben sandwich was invented in Omaha at the Blackstone Hotel. Crescent Moon is a bar across the street from the Blackstone building, and their Reuben is awesome.

Upstream is a bar lots of people like, as is the Mattress Factory. MF is right by TD Ameritrade field, so that can be a good or bad thing. 

The Old Market area has plenty of good food and bars and is relatively close to TD Ameritrade  

Someone on this thread is bound to mention Runza. I like the novelty of it, but it’s pretty weird. Kind of a meat pie sandwich/burger with sauerkraut on it. 
 

I’ll think about what else I’d recommend. Omaha is an interesting place to me. I travel to and through It pretty regularly. 

Got back from a wedding last week in Omaha.

 

They just lifted their mask mandate and Old Market was fairly busy. There have been several closures of restaurants downtown , so I would recommend making sure the place is still in business before waking from the hotel.

Upstream was open and hopping and food was still pretty solid.

Enjoy and I’m jealous…

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SamDaddy19 said:

I grew up in Omaha… some of my suggestions:

Lunch spot: Pepperjax, Philly cheesesteak place that started in Omaha… just trust me

Dinner: Lo Sole Mio. Best Italian food I’ve had outside of literal Italy. You’ll need a reservation

Dessert: Coneflower Creamery is excellent

It might be cliche for Omaha but you really should go checkout the zoo if you have a free day you’re not catching a game. Plus you get to go see the tribute to ‘Blatt (OG CWS stadium)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the recs. Do you think Uber/taxi will be an issue? We aren’t next to the stadium…we are in the Blackston area. Is that walkable to the ballpark? Thanks again for the input.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I saw it mentioned, but I can’t remember which thread at this point, so which bracket would we be in in Omaha? Trying to figure out if we’re potentially playing Saturday or Sunday, so I can tell my wife which day I will be worthless to her…ok fair, more worthless than usual.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I know I saw it mentioned, but I can’t remember which thread at this point, so which bracket would we be in in Omaha? Trying to figure out if we’re potentially playing Saturday or Sunday, so I can tell my wife which day I will be worthless to her…ok fair, more worthless than usual.

We are in the Sunday bracket.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

Appreciate the recs. Do you think Uber/taxi will be an issue? We aren’t next to the stadium…we are in the Blackston area. Is that walkable to the ballpark? Thanks again for the input.

You are going to need to taxi or Uber.  You don't want to walk from the Blackstone area to TD Ameritrade.  It's a fair distance plus you'd be going through some areas that aren't the greatest.  However, it's not a long cab/Uber ride -- maybe 10 minutes or so.  Just take the Uber and forget about walking.    

FYI, there's a couple pretty good dive bars in the Blackstone area on Farnam St. -- Brothers Lounge and Sullivan's.  

  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are going to need to taxi or Uber.  You don't want to walk from the Blackstone area to TD Ameritrade.  It's a fair distance plus you'd be going through some areas that aren't the greatest.  However, it's not a long cab/Uber ride -- maybe 10 minutes or so.  Just take the Uber and forget about walking.    
FYI, there's a couple pretty good dive bars in the Blackstone area on Farnam St. -- Brothers Lounge and Sullivan's.  

Agreed, Omaha isn’t an especially long walk friendly place outside of old market area. Taxi/rideshare is the way to go


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Appreciate the recs. Do you think Uber/taxi will be an issue? We aren’t next to the stadium…we are in the Blackston area. Is that walkable to the ballpark? Thanks again for the input.

You’ll be right by the aforementioned Crescent Moon. 

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We went to a steak house and had lunch next to warren buffet. Very unimpressive place imo, but not bad. 
My buddy was very pissed about the titter- they kept bikinis on or something. That might have been in Iowa across the River. 
Didn’t eat a ton- mostly hit LSU tailgates and ate their gumbo and texas tailgates of course, drank beer and went to lots of games. And drank lots of beer. I mean- I went 3 different times and it was all great. 
haven’t been since they changed locations. Hope that didn’t kill the fun. 
Always told my dad how awesome it was. He was like “we will go together someday”. I hope that’s true. I don’t know if he will make it. 

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

haven’t been since they changed locations. Hope that didn’t kill the fun.

It killed it quite a bit for me. I just loved Rosenblatt and it’s neighborhood setting. Advancing age and being married now might also have something to do with it. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean it’s cool that there are hotels right across the street from TDA, but to me it’s just another new shiny sterile ballpark. That said, I still love everything college baseball and they better never move it out of Omaha. 

  • Hook 'Em 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We went to a steak house and had lunch next to warren buffet. Very unimpressive place imo, but not bad. 
My buddy was very pissed about the titter- they kept bikinis on or something. That might have been in Iowa across the River. 
Didn’t eat a ton- mostly hit LSU tailgates and ate their gumbo and texas tailgates of course, drank beer and went to lots of games. And drank lots of beer. I mean- I went 3 different times and it was all great. 
haven’t been since they changed locations. Hope that didn’t kill the fun. 
Always told my dad how awesome it was. He was like “we will go together someday”. I hope that’s true. I don’t know if he will make it. 

Gorat’s is the steakhouse Buffett goes to. All the classic Omaha steakhouses are just plain (not fancy) restaurants. Old school. 

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dodge Park Riverside Golf Course is a fun public course just over the river from the Stadium and next to the Harrah's casino in Council Bluff (very walkable to the stadium via a pedestrian bridge over the river).  Get an early tee-time, have a steak for lunch, watch an afternoon or evening baseball game, and eat another steak after the game!

  • Hook 'Em 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Dodge Park Riverside Golf Course is a fun public course just over the river from the Stadium and next to the Harrah's casino in Council Bluff (very walkable to the stadium via a pedestrian bridge over the river).  Get an early tee-time, have a steak for lunch, watch an afternoon or evening baseball game, and eat another steak after the game!

And then hit the casino. That’s a solid day. 

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Keep your casino expectations in check -- it's Iowa, not Vegas!

It’s not bad if you like slots and they do have some table games, but it’s certainly not Vegas  

I won $900 on a slot machine in about 10 minutes one morning before I headed out of town. And they do have sports betting now, though they closed the window at Harrah’s and only have one at Horseshoe now. You can also bet via the William Hill app, but only if you’re in Iowa. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Slowdown next to TDA. The place in RF where you can actually see the game from the upstairs patio is a total shitshow, Slowdown has a large outdoor area, so even with crowds I don't remember having to wait long for a beer. Easy to pound drinks right up to first pitch and then hop across the street to the game. 

I like Jackson Street Tavern. Not your traditional old school Omaha steakhouse but the steak I had there a few years ago was good. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

So glad I gambled on the Horns this year and got those plane tickets and hotel in March and me and my dad are headed to Omaha with the Horns!

I was surprised to see a few new hotel options open back up, and then I remembered that Arkansas fans were probably doing a bunch of sad cancelations. 😎

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/13/2021 at 12:37 AM, Tailgate said:

I’ve never been. My neighbor, years ago, would never stop talking about how awesome it was. It’s been on my bucket list since then. I’m scratching it off this year. My youngest is at Vandy. My family went and cousin teaches at Ole Miss…and the Horns will highly likely be there too.

Maybe I should have started this in food and travel…but any must eat/drinks would be appreciated. If you’re there the first weekend…happy to grab you a beer.

\m/

In 1982 I was there and left my cap in an IHOP. Can you pick it up for me.  Mucho apreciado.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

okay, so we play Sunday, almost certainly the prime time game?  Our opponent plays today, so they have one less day of rest.  Am I right that the proper amount of rest is critical at this time?  

I am guessing the team leaves for Omaha tomorrow?

The cool thing is there should be no distractions, except back in the day the MLB draft would happen during the CWS.  I think they may have changed that. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, orangecat92 said:

okay, so we play Sunday, almost certainly the prime time game?  Our opponent plays today, so they have one less day of rest.  Am I right that the proper amount of rest is critical at this time?  

I am guessing the team leaves for Omaha tomorrow?

The cool thing is there should be no distractions, except back in the day the MLB draft would happen during the CWS.  I think they may have changed that. 

 

 

Not sure 24 hours is gonna make that big of a difference. What is with y’all and rest? Yeah obviously it’s too our guys are watching film and loosening up in the cages while our opponents are fighting for their lives, but come Sunday non of that matters. State or the Irish will be ready. Then we kick the fuck out of em 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Not sure 24 hours is gonna make that big of a difference. What is with y’all and rest? Yeah obviously it’s too our guys are watching film and loosening up in the cages while our opponents are fighting for their lives, but come Sunday non of that matters. State or the Irish will be ready. Then we kick the fuck out of em 

obsessed with rest probably cause we're old. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure 24 hours is gonna make that big of a difference. What is with y’all and rest? Yeah obviously it’s too our guys are watching film and loosening up in the cages while our opponents are fighting for their lives, but come Sunday non of that matters. State or the Irish will be ready. Then we kick the fuck out of em 

I got tired just reading this. I’m going to rest.
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

obsessed with rest probably cause we're old. 

Is 28 old? I’m tired as fuck from my one game a week yesterday with ice on my ankle. Ok yeah good point. Rest up men. And let’s get some extras in Starkville 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...