2021 College World Series Thread

TrashMaster G

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

if NC State only has 4 pitchers then I think his only option is to try 2-3 innings per and hopefully get away with 30 or so pitches per and do the same thing tomorrow.  If he doesn't he might have to forfeit tomorrow.

I wasn't even thinking about the same four having to pitch tomorrow...and maybe next week.

I really wish I wasn’t working and was home watching this game. It should be fascinating to see a top 5 draftee for up against a bunch of guys who haven’t played all year. 
I can’t imagine a bigger asterisks possible than Vandy winning a title this year. Crazy. 

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

I wasn't even thinking about the same four having to pitch tomorrow...and maybe next week.

I don't think they have to worry about next week to be honest.  I'm just hoping they help burn SOME vandy pitching.  we've got our own work to do though.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

if NC State only has 4 pitchers then I think his only option is to try 2-3 innings per and hopefully get away with 30 or so pitches per and do the same thing tomorrow.  If he doesn't he might have to forfeit tomorrow.

That’s the option I would go with. The other option is just to have your starter wear 120 or 130 pitches, bring in a position player to pitch if  the game is out of reach and go Johnny no staff tomorrow with the other 3 guys. 
mid the game gets out of reach in the 5th or 6th could NV State forfeit and still be allowed to play tomorrow?  
I know lots might think a forfeit is unmanly but if you get down many runs in the mid innings I’d rather take my chance tomorrow in a fresh game with 3 well rested pitchers available than play out the string in a lost case game. 

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

I don't think they have to worry about next week to be honest.  I'm just hoping they help burn SOME vandy pitching.  we've got our own work to do though.

Yeah if they can just hold Vandy in place and make Rocker have a full start that is a big win for whomever gets them next week.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Yeah if they can just hold Vandy in place and make Rocker have a full start that is a big win for whomever gets them next week.

Rocker isn't going more than 3 IMO but I'm assuming this isn't going to be 0-0 after the 3rd.

3 minutes ago, Pogo said:

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Look- minor league teams beat major league teams all the time when they play at the end of spring training (maybe not all the time but it does happen). NC State is probably only about an 8 or 10 to 1 dog here. 

lol, no way. 25-1 at best. 

Edited by Firemans4Horn

I'm guessing by the time all this news came out, Rocker was already going through his pre-game routine and they didn't want to cancel that and insert somebody cold who was probably just thinking bullpen session later today?  Vanderbilt (and the non-vaxxed Wolfpack) can truly fuck us by having Rocker just effectively throw a side-session in a live game of 2-3 innings while his team goes up 6-0.  Then have a seat, turn it over to the 'pen or midweek starter, and rest up to throw a full start Monday or Tuesday.  

Just now, Lobo said:

I'm guessing by the time all this news came out, Rocker was already going through his pre-game routine and they didn't want to cancel that and insert somebody cold who was probably just thinking bullpen session later today?  Vanderbilt (and the non-vaxxed Wolfpack) can truly fuck us by having Rocker just effectively throw a side-session in a live game of 2-3 innings while his team goes up 6-0.  Then have a seat, turn it over to the 'pen or midweek starter, and rest up to throw a full start Monday or Tuesday.  

that is what is likely to happen.  this was almost as good as a walk for Vandy plus they get some BP.  as I said this will be epic when we win this whole thing(come on Zach and Ivan)

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

There's no way if these two rosters played 26 games that the expected result would be 25 wins for Vanderbilt. Wulaw might have even been high with 10 to 1.

Yeah I'd say 4 or 5 to 1 tops

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

There's no way if these two rosters played 26 games that the expected result would be 25 wins for Vanderbilt. Wulaw might have even been high with 10 to 1.

Yeah that’s why I said 8-1 first. I’m guessing the State guys are legit scholarship players. And I’m supposing the 4 pitchers are legit scholarship arms. If that’s the case someone or 2 people on the mound could have a top notch game and a couple of guys for state could run into one. Or Vandy could have a couple errors and a 3-1 or 3-2 game is possible. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Optimal strategy for state?

close your eyes and swing hard?  Or small ball the shit out of them every time you happen to get a runner on base?  

In this situation you choke up and try to squeeze one past the infield to get Mensik home.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I assume the protocol dictates, those other 22 guys on their team have to sit out tomorrow's game too, or is there some sorta 24-hour deal where you can tested again, and if you're negative, you can play?  

I'd hate to be the N.C. State player who refuse the vaccine and ends up being patient zero.  This if this was the 1986 College World Series, half the players would mix the vaccine with a half gram of blow and snort the fucking thing and win a double-header.  But no, some pitcher's mom heard at church that vaccines would effect their play in Omaha, as well as their fertility and relationship with Jesus. 

Stop this bullshit.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm going to bet that the third base umpire saw the mark the ball made after he missed the call and he actually overturned himself in that conference.

If its based on where the 3rd baseman is (I think I'm understanding that correctly), I think it was actually foul.

Just now, hayden_horn said:

and he didn't double down on being wrong. refreshing.

Yep, I've seen umpires do this before in games I'm coaching after they have a second to think about a play. It's the good ones who never let their pride get in the way of making the right call in the end.