2021 College World Series Thread

TrashMaster G

5 minutes ago, Terry Silver said:

At risk of what?

Nothing, unless they are running sprints in nursing homes.

They are outside playing baseball.  Take a few precautions and play ball.

Idiotic.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah I would presume the overwhelming majority of players are vaccinated and it is outside so not much chance of transmission to the fans.

Ah well. No reason to debate this until we we know for sure.

Even if the fans or players aren't vaccinated, they've all had their chance to be.  If they get it, that's their deal, and they know the deal by now.  We've had players play in this tournament while still contagious from strep throat or the stomach bug.  

Edited by Don Johnson

I know you can still technically catch it either way but how do you not make sure your team is at least vaccinated before regionals start.  Hopefully it was a fluke and they have been cautious as a team.  It's odd because doesn't the whole team have to quarantine if there was exposure?  Wonder if some guys snuck out to the titters...

Edited by ballrific

They have opted into just that.  But shouldn't be tested anymore and should be allowed to play just as they would with any other sickness.  They aren't a risk towards anyone except those who have made a similar choice.

Nothing, unless they are running sprints in nursing homes.
They are outside playing baseball.  Take a few precautions and play ball.
Idiotic.

Ok, I just know of an elite team that had to bail on a big tournament because a player (young, not yet vaccinated although recently eligible) got a full blown case. And they are on busses and in hotel rooms together. Not to mention being around coaches who have unvaccinated family members. And one of the people who got caught up in the chain of transmission is 1) vulnerable and 2) unable to be vaccinated for a legit medical reason. She is teetering on the edge of needing hospitalization.

So….the cascade effects are real, and can fuck over a lot of other people and teammates. It’s a damned shame. I won’t derail any more - I’m just saying that I’ve seen first hand that it’s a real thing, and real people end up in real jeopardy. Shitty outcome for everyone.
  • Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ok, I just know of an elite team that had to bail on a big tournament because a player (young, not yet vaccinated although recently eligible) got a full blown case. And they are on busses and in hotel rooms together. Not to mention being around coaches who have unvaccinated family members. And one of the people who got caught up in the chain of transmission is 1) vulnerable and 2) unable to be vaccinated for a legit medical reason. She is teetering on the edge of needing hospitalization.

So….the cascade effects are real, and can fuck over a lot of other people and teammates. It’s a damned shame. I won’t derail any more - I’m just saying that I’ve seen first hand that it’s a real thing, and real people end up in real jeopardy. Shitty outcome for everyone.

100% believe that.  Also 100% believe any adult who got sick from it made a choice not to get vaccinated.  We've passed the threshold where we need to have special rules to protect those who chose not to get vaccinated.

The CWS made the decision to allow 100% capacity in the stands.  There are no masks.  There is no testing.  Its normal life.  If you haven't been vaccinated, you know the risks.  Should be the same for the participants.

Edited by Don Johnson

Just now, Don Johnson said:

Looking like Justice and Jarrett out, but Highfill supposedly spotted in dugout.

Well losing Justice sucks but it is not the end of the world. Hope NC State has one more incredible start left in their pitching staff.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well losing Justice sucks but it is not the end of the world. Hope NC State has one more incredible start left in their pitching staff.

NC State needing some Chris Charmichael magic today.  here's to hoping.

• Hook 'Em 1

This isn't a covid thread. Only updates related to the teams playing. 

No vaccine talk. No speculation outside of the realm of sport. 

First and final warning. Don't lose your ability to post in tonight's game because you have some agenda outside of baseball. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

This isn't a covid thread. Only updates related to the teams playing. 

No vaccine talk. No speculation outside of the realm of sport. 

First and final warning. Don't lose your ability to post in tonight's game because you have some agenda outside of baseball. 

What if you're using this thread to try to get laid?

Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

Can you imagine the shitshow if Vandy advances without having to win 2 games and without having to deplete their staff?

That... would utterly suck.  For everyone (except Vandy, I guess).  Sucks for NCState, who have had an amazing run.  And sucks for whoever will be going up against a well-rested Vandy for the title.

as if this couldn't get any harder for us.  Vandy gets a walk to the champ series from the fucking losers bracket.

This will be the greatest NCAA baseball championship of all time and it is up to us to complete it. the baseball gods must make up for CBS and Wichita State and it must happen now.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That... would utterly suck.  For everyone (except Vandy, I guess).  Sucks for NCState, who have had an amazing run.  And sucks for whoever will be going up against a well-rested Vandy for the title.

What? What? No way. Nobody is that lucky.

2 minutes ago, msudawg said:

Holy shit... that would be insane if nc state had to forfeit. No freaking way they don't let them play.  If I'm NC State i'd be making them give the players 5 damn tests to prove it's not a false positive. 

This right here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If there's a confirmed outbreak that has put a number of players in the protocols due to positive tests or contact tracing, delaying the game by a day isn't going to do much.

Hopefully they're just waiting for test results to return.

Edited by Machinator

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

as if this couldn't get any harder for us.  Vandy gets a walk to the champ series from the fucking losers bracket.

This will be the greatest NCAA baseball championship of all time and it is up to us to complete it. the baseball gods must make up for CBS and Wichita State and it must happen now.

that would be the ultimate fuck... have rocker and leiter back on full rest? 

5 minutes ago, justhookit said:

With this and the weather forecast for tonight, just move both games to tomorrow. That’s as fair as can be to everyone.

They declare someone in covid protocols they won't be back tomorrow... 

Edited by msudawg