2021 College World Series Thread

TrashMaster G

5 minutes ago, troph said:

Learn me the crazy shifting now - saw it some this week, seeing in an MLB game now - what the hell is that all about? 

In the pros it’s scouting/analytics. Shifting is the norm now, has been for a few years. No one plays defense straight away anymore. It was only a matter of time before it made its way into college.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Dude I am still waiting for your insightful baseball commentary the real fans are supposed to provide.

You're supposed to sit there and take it while ESPN shoves the SEC down your throat until you choke on your own puke. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Learn me the crazy shifting now - saw it some this week, seeing in an MLB game now - what the hell is that all about? 

MLB is all about the shift. Partly because analytics say screw small ball. Partly because the players won’t take the easy single. But also a ton of data.

College isn’t that way. But the shifts aren’t as extreme.

A SS has a better chance up the middle to either get the guy at 2nd or 1st than in the hole. Partly due to glove side but also gets more on the throw. The big lefty should have been a relatively easy groundout.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

They have to beat NCSU twice and we have to beat UVA once and MSU twice … 

So, who’s on shorter rest?

Yeah I was looking at the schedule and why do they get a day of rest coming out of the loser’s bracket, but we have to play 3 in a row?

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

MLB is all about the shift. Partly because analytics say screw small ball. Partly because the players won’t take the easy single. But also a ton of data.

College isn’t that way. But the shifts aren’t as extreme.

A SS has a better chance up the middle to either get the guy at 2nd or 1st than in the hole. Partly due to glove side but also gets more on the throw. The big lefty should have been a relatively easy groundout.

You’d think at some point you take what the defense gives you? 

22 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Because we got our extra day of rest before we played our first game

yep..and which is completely worthless in this format.   when I saw the Sunday I knew we had to win that first game.  we are going to have to do it the hardest way possible.

11 hours ago, msudawg said:

Take care of UVA and bring on round 3 and 4 if needed. Cheers. 

6 hours ago, Born to Run said:

Man I was really with you you to the end

Roses really smell like poopoooo.
Cmon

MacGruber fans, anyone?

Classic MacGruber.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep..and which is completely worthless in this format.   when I saw the Sunday I knew we had to win that first game.  we are going to have to do it the hardest way possible.

I'm more worried about Mississippi State than Vandy. If Vandy even makes it. They have a classic case of Defending Title Hangover Syndrome. 

Plus I think God created Texas in part to have us smite Vanderbilt in the 2021 CWS and reclaim baseball glory. But that's just me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I won't worry about Vanderbilt until they beat N.C. State, twice.  

I know we have to play Virginia tomorrow.  But the war of arms attrition we have coming with Miss. State is what worries me.  I've been talking about it for over a week like a typical long-winded Lobo.  But they have a deeper staff than anybody gives them credit for.  It's the next deepest after ours.  What mowed us down on Sunday is just a glimpse of it.  It has barely been tested and we gotta get our shit together to battle them for 18 innings in 27 hours.  Half our lineup is still asleep.  The baseball gods must be appeased.  And we've miles to go before we sleep.  This Omaha is lovely, dark, and deep.  But we've miles to go before we sleep. 

Miles to go...

Edited by Lobo

28 minutes ago, troph said:

You’d think at some point you take what the defense gives you? 

If I’m on defense and I’ve reduced Barry Bonds into bunting for an easy single every time, that’s a gigantic win for me. So the prudent offensive strategy is to just try and hit the ball over everyone’s head everytime.

Also, when the shift is on pitchers are going to pitch you in so that it’d be almost impossible to lay down a bunt towards 3rd even if you wanted to.

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If I’m on defense and I’ve reduced Barry Bonds into bunting for an easy single every time, that’s a gigantic win for me. So the prudent offensive strategy is to just try and hit the ball over everyone’s head everytime.

Also, when the shift is on pitchers are going to pitch you in so that it’d be almost impossible to lay down a bunt towards 3rd even if you wanted to.

Well I was talking more about college but I can see pitching to where it’s impossible -  it seems opposite field is often what’s left open with the shift is that true ? Padres and dodgers the shift was in the outfield to right field on a lefty batting.  Thinking college ball man just get that to left field. I guess you just pitch high and inside or something like that and it’s just super hard to take advantage?

But Joey Gallo is no Barry Bonds. He needs to learn to hit and maybe take a little off the swing with two strikes. I’m pretty sure you could put every defender on the right side ad he’d still pull it. But with Gallo on 1st after burning himself on, the next guy gets to hit without the shift due to the runner.

I do think in the past hitters were more intellectual about it and could drive it to the opposite gap better. Hard to imagine a Tony Gwynn saying to hell with it and just saying I just want to hit it as hard as I can no matter what.

36 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm more worried about Mississippi State than Vandy. If Vandy even makes it. They have a classic case of Defending Title Hangover Syndrome. 

Plus I think God created Texas in part to have us smite Vanderbilt in the 2021 CWS and reclaim baseball glory. But that's just me.

Wrong. God made Vanderbilt cause everyone was tired of us, including god. 

56 minutes ago, troph said:

Well I was talking more about college but I can see pitching to where it’s impossible -  it seems opposite field is often what’s left open with the shift is that true ? Padres and dodgers the shift was in the outfield to right field on a lefty batting.  Thinking college ball man just get that to left field. I guess you just pitch high and inside or something like that and it’s just super hard to take advantage?

Yes, the pitcher will usually pitch to his shift, which is almost always pull side. But when he misses his spot a hitter with a balanced approach can really do damage the other way. It’s just a difficult thing to do though, especially when youre swinging for power.

• Hook 'Em 1

Quick shoutout to the ESPN color guys calling the CWS, Kyle Peterson/Perez team especially. Perez voice is annoying but both guys are like a non over the top romo in calling out what’s coming and being pretty damn right. They actually add something to the broadcast.

• Hook 'Em 2

In the bigs they don’t even bother pitching in with the shift- they throw whatever is in the scouting report as most likely to get them out. At least- that’s what the Astros do. As an early adapter of the shift that was one of the things that most messed with the pitchers mind. Make your pitch- even if it’s outside- when you are shifting. 
not everyone gets shifted, but it’s probably over 50% for most teams in the bigs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/03/18/baseball-shift-rule-changes/%3foutputType=amp

Dodgers shifted 55% last year. That’s less than some of the more analytical teams. Lefties get shifted more than righties.  
mlb average is 38% and climbing. 
probably robs about 2% if batted balls into hits. The difference between a 280 and 300 hitter isn’t insignificant. 

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

I won't worry about Vanderbilt until they beat N.C. State, twice.  

I know we have to play Virginia tomorrow.  But the war of arms attrition we have coming with Miss. State is what worries me.  I've been talking about it for over a week like a typical long-winded Lobo.  But they have a deeper staff than anybody gives them credit for.  It's the next deepest after ours.  What mowed us down on Sunday is just a glimpse of it.  It has barely been tested and we gotta get our shit together to battle them for 18 innings in 27 hours.  Half our lineup is still asleep.  The baseball gods must be appeased.  And we've miles to go before we sleep.  This Omaha is lovely, dark, and deep.  But we've miles to go before we sleep. 

Miles to go...

We'll be fine pitching wise, the biggest worry if we do get to face them again is whether we can find enough offense to help the pitching out. Ty will 100% be going Friday and I would imagine Tristan would start Saturday. Against Tennessee there were 2 runs that we pretty much manufactured on the base paths: 1) Mike Antico stealing 2nd and advancing to 3rd on an error before being driven in on a ground ball out and 2) Eric Kennedy stealing 3rd by baiting the throw to 2nd and scoring on a wild pitch. Those are the things it will take to beat Mississippi State, oh, and not striking out 21 times.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. If Mississippi State puts up a bunch of runs early or say Virginia gets to Hansen and forces us to go to the pen early then yeah we could be stretched thin but if we get another lights out start from Pete tomorrow which most expect, we'll be fine for 2 games against Mississippi State. 

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yes, the pitcher will usually pitch to his shift, which is almost always pull side. But when he misses his spot a hitter with a balanced approach can really do damage the other way. It’s just a difficult thing to do though, especially when youre swinging for power.

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In the bigs they don’t even bother pitching in with the shift- they throw whatever is in the scouting report as most likely to get them out. At least- that’s what the Astros do. As an early adapter of the shift that was one of the things that most messed with the pitchers mind. Make your pitch- even if it’s outside- when you are shifting. 
not everyone gets shifted, but it’s probably over 50% for most teams in the bigs. 

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/03/18/baseball-shift-rule-changes/%3foutputType=amp

Dodgers shifted 55% last year. That’s less than some of the more analytical teams. Lefties get shifted more than righties.  
probably robs about 2% if batted balls into hits. The difference between a 280 and 300 hitter isn’t insignificant. 

Last night the ESPN channel carrying the CWS rolled over to the Padres dodgers - I watched one at bat. That’s the most MLB I’ve watched in probably the last 7-8 years, maybe longer. I’m almost exclusively college baseball. It’s not as bad for football but it’s certainly close to that for basketball too.  Pro sports don’t hold my interest at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Had Enough said:

But Joey Gallo is no Barry Bonds. He needs to learn to hit and maybe take a little off the swing with two strikes. I’m pretty sure you could put every defender on the right side ad he’d still pull it. But with Gallo on 1st after burning himself on, the next guy gets to hit without the shift due to the runner.

I do think in the past hitters were more intellectual about it and could drive it to the opposite gap better. Hard to imagine a Tony Gwynn saying to hell with it and just saying I just want to hit it as hard as I can no matter what.

I thought is was Joey Callo?

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

5 minutes ago, troph said:

Last night the ESPN channel carrying the CWS rolled over to the Padres dodgers - I watched one at bat. That’s the most MLB I’ve watched in probably the last 7-8 years, maybe longer. I’m almost exclusively college baseball. It’s not as bad for football but it’s certainly close to that for basketball too.  Pro sports don’t hold my interest at all.

I did too. And the Padres put their 3rd baseman out into shallow right field. The dude batting struck out.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

I thought is was Joey Callo?

I did too. And the Padres put their 3rd baseman out into shallow right field. The dude batting struck out.

The AB I watched they shifted right to shallow right and center to deep right on a lefty. Batter struck out. 

It's Gameday Bitches! (hopefully saying that more times in the days to come) 

Somebody start the Virginia v. Texas thread.  I am extremely antsy about who they are going to start against us (do they announce that stuff on twitter like Texas does?).  And seeing how they stack their lineup against a lefty in Hansen. They have a little bit of lefty/righty wiggle room on their roster, but not much.  

10 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

What you should do

that's exactly right. that ridiculous amount of shifting is insane.  take the double with a teeball base hit every fucking time.  swinging for the HR in that situation is just dumber than shit.  I lost track of MLB but the fact that there is that much shifting and that teams aren't tapping a bunt or a anemic basehit (at least) to the gaping hole is idiotic.  Then when they shift back with a runner on base, then swing for the HR if you must.  but that's a 2 run shot, not a solo.  MLB is dumb.

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

That's because MLB is homogenized, pre-packaged, shit.  It's unwatchable.  Cracks me up that people are so into it.

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

That's because MLB is homogenized, pre-packaged, shit.  It's unwatchable.  Cracks me up that people are so into it.

watch that video and you'll see the product of some serious tape on the bridge of the glasses, pocket protector nerd ass bullshit.  the meathead brigade needs to come in there and out smart those nerd boys with the bunt to a blank left side of the field all day long.  the shifting shit is funny as can be.  but you can't blame the defense, the offenses are dumb enough to keep swinging to the out field.  shift on me, I'll take the free double - you can't tell me a MLB caliber hitter can't bunt just about any strike to the 3B side.  let the guy behind me grab the 2-shot when you play more straight up. 

Edited by troph

I'll never know even if they do Troph b/c I have zero interest in watching a bunch of money mercenaries who have less interest in the game go out and give half-assed effort  for a season of boredom.

NFL, NBA, and MLB are all for suckers.

Won't watch a lick and I can't stand commentators in college sports who instist on waxing poetic about what's going on in the pro game from the booth.  I could not care less.

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I'll never know even if they do Troph b/c I have zero interest in watching a bunch of money mercenaries who have less interest in the game go out and give half-assed effort  for a season of boredom.

NFL, NBA, and MLB are all for suckers.

Won't watch a lick and I can't stand commentators in college sports who instist on waxing poetic about what's going on in the pro game from the booth.  I could not care less.

I won't either, but this whole convo started because the college baseball broadcast rolled over to MLB and I saw that insane shifting crap and started the convo.  I don't watch it, I still won't watch it and now for more good reason, sheer stupidity.  MLB is broken.  it's not baseball. it's homerun derby and that's about it.  someone else can like it, I'm even less interested which I thought was impossible.  I mean seriously gaping holes in the infield and they won't take advantage like that video.  just absurdity.

The narrator in that video was pretty annoying until the end, "And the pitcher just figures somebody'll be over there to field Carpenter's bunt because there has been somebody over there in baseball...for you know...the last 200 years."   I laughed and then wept for the game.  

I can't watch regular season MLB anymore.  It's excruciating.  Just as well WGN doesn't have the Cubs on anymore anyway.  

But I could still watch an MLB spring training game before I could manage to sit through an NBA or NFL game.  I don't know how y'all do it.  Or where you find the time.  

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I find it much better than college baseball, mainly because the talent in MLB is other worldly.

Really, fully matured grown men scouted from around the world and paid tens of millions of dollars a year with nothing else to do but train year around are more talented than a 19 year Division II player who has to earn his engineering degree in 4 years or less while working summers to pay for books?  Yeah, I didn't see that coming.  

We are spoiled at Texas though because we get to watch high quality college baseball several months a year, every single season.  Much of college baseball is pretty rough to watch if you don't have a dog in the fight.  It's like watching a Rookie League/Low A minors game, at best.  Maybe regionals, certainly super regionals and of course Omaha, I can watch that all day long because the quality is there, the passion for the game is there, the atmosphere is great, and there is a lot on the line for the players.  By the time you get to Supers, you're watching teams that'll have 50% of the starters drafted.  But fucking MLB, i can't even make it through a DS or LCS game anymore unless it's a team I follow (CHC, BOS, HOU).  I can still watch the World Series no matter who is playing but I'm sure that'll be over soon too.

47 minutes ago, troph said:

that's exactly right. that ridiculous amount of shifting is insane.  take the double with a teeball base hit every fucking time.  swinging for the HR in that situation is just dumber than shit.  I lost track of MLB but the fact that there is that much shifting and that teams aren't tapping a bunt or a anemic basehit (at least) to the gaping hole is idiotic.  Then when they shift back with a runner on base, then swing for the HR if you must.  but that's a 2 run shot, not a solo.  MLB is dumb.

MLB is now a game of home runs and strikeouts.   The fundamentals have disappeared. 

For instance, the new runner on 2nd rule for extras - feels like no team in the home half of the extra inning needing 1 to win or 1 to tie will just bunt the runner over and then try for a sac fly or sac bunt.  It's either hit a HR or walk, double play, strikeout.