2022 Texas Baseball

Balcones

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Stehly can play 2nd. But I'm not sure I really think a bum Austin Todd is much of an upgrade over Daly. 

Stehly is in right. Is we put Campbell back in right the then we just traded Daly out for basically the same thing in the lineup. 

29 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don't think I follow. You said Daly is the odd man out but you listed 4 players for 4 spots: Stehly (RF), Messinger (3B), Daly (2B), Todd (DH).

Yeah my username was checking out there-  you’re right lol.  

Regardless, gotta get Daly going.

Side note-  where do you find stats vs Big 12 competition?

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Yeah my username was checking out there-  you’re right lol.  

Regardless, gotta get Daly going.

Side note-  where do you find stats vs Big 12 competition?

The Texas website has a button where you can look at conference only by year (like here is 2019): https://texassports.com/sports/baseball/stats/2019

The Big 12 website also has conference only stats for most years: https://big12sports.com/stats.aspx?path=baseball&year=2018&conf=true

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I also look at Messinger a similar way that I look at Todd. Feasts on bad pitching, but Skyler is hitting below .225 for his career in Big 12 play. 

But this year he trades three games hitting against Texas pitching for three games hitting against Kansas pitching.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Austin Todd is a career .209 hitter in Big 12 play (37 for 177 in his career). He is a nice veteran presence but we need to be realistic about what he can provide this offense. DH will likely be a revolving door all year.

And I’m pretty sure his power numbers aren’t much either. If he returns, he won’t be 100%. He’s also missed parts of the last 3 seasons. All that is hard to overcome in the short term.

Daly will likely be fine. You almost need to be concerned with Stehly because he’s so much better than what you’d expect. Even if he dropped down to .350, that’s not a great finish to the season but you can’t criticize it on the whole.

3 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Even if he dropped down to .350, that’s not a great finish to the season but you can’t criticize it on the whole.

If he hits .350 on the season when it's all said and done that would mean he goes close to .300 the rest of the way. 

I think we can live with that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If he hits .350 on the season when it's all said and done that would mean he goes close to .300 the rest of the way. 
I think we can live with that. 

Alrighty. Didn’t do the math.

Point is that he’s given us so much he will fall off. He’ll get pitched around which may happen even at .300 for the rest of the way. Someone would then need to produce to offset his lessened production. And if he cools off to his prior year production, that wouldn’t be a good finish to the season. But yes I’d take .300 the rest of the way especially if the power stays up.

It’d be great if Melendez and he could keep the pace. Hard to imagine two of the greatest seasons in Horns history in one season though.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

Alrighty. Didn’t do the math.

Point is that he’s given us so much he will fall off. He’ll get pitched around which may happen even at .300 for the rest of the way. Someone would then need to produce to offset his lessened production. And if he cools off to his prior year production, that wouldn’t be a good finish to the season. But yes I’d take .300 the rest of the way especially if the power stays up.

It’d be great if Melendez and he could keep the pace. Hard to imagine two of the greatest seasons in Horns history in one season though.

I don't think Melendez falls off much. Maybe in HR and RBIs if guys just quit pitching to him but I bet his OPS stays high as shit. The game in which our bats struggled the most - against UCLA - he still jacked one 400+. It's honestly kind of silly he's still playing in college - the combination he has going on of power and an eye for the ball is ridiculous. That last homer he had was stupid - reaching for it and going opposite and still clearing the fence (granted wind assisted).

NOT THAT I'D WANT TO JINX ANYTHING 

I don't think Melendez falls off much. Maybe in HR and RBIs if guys just quit pitching to him but I bet his OPS stays high as shit. The game in which our bats struggled the most - against UCLA - he still jacked one 400+. It's honestly kind of silly he's still playing in college - the combination he has going on of power and an eye for the ball is ridiculous. That last homer he had was stupid - reaching for it and going opposite and still clearing the fence (granted wind assisted).
NOT THAT I'D WANT TO JINX ANYTHING 

Very possible. I know the fences aren’t as deep, but in my opinion he’s easily got more power than an Ontiveros or Russell. I mean it’s ok to stay disciplined and hit it 375 to the gap rather than try to hit 450 feet. If he stays patient and doesn’t chase way outside the zone, he’ll be just fine. He could probably go a bit outside the zone and be great too.

But damn if Stehlys average isn’t almost 100 points higher than Ivan’s. For me, Melendez’s year is not really surprising. Stehly is, and I was one who didn’t pencil in Messinger over him last summer because of how seemed to rise to the occasion last year.

Yeah, the way they are setting up in the lineup it’s hard for them both to fall off too much. If they stay patient with good discipline like you said then eventually teams are going to have to suck it up and throw to one of them. The challenge is obviously that it’s easier to stay disciplined against IWU type pitching than most of our conference opponents. I’m excited to see how they handle it going forward. 

On 3/23/2022 at 11:00 PM, Had Enough said:

Very possible. I know the fences aren’t as deep, but in my opinion he’s easily got more power than an Ontiveros or Russell. I mean it’s ok to stay disciplined and hit it 375 to the gap rather than try to hit 450 feet. If he stays patient and doesn’t chase way outside the zone, he’ll be just fine. He could probably go a bit outside the zone and be great too.

But damn if Stehlys average isn’t almost 100 points higher than Ivan’s. For me, Melendez’s year is not really surprising. Stehly is, and I was one who didn’t pencil in Messinger over him last summer because of how seemed to rise to the occasion last year.

I kinda wanna neg you right now. I agree with everything you said, but mother fucker!!!!!! Not seeing Kyle Russell take some at bats at Rosenblatt is down right criminal. 

I kinda wanna neg you right now. I agree with everything you said, but mother fucker!!!!!! Not seeing Kyle Russell take some at bats at Rosenblatt is down right criminal. 

Make it happen! I don’t even know how to see that.

I probably should have said I’m not sure I’ve seen any college player with as much power as Melendez.

Now if Melendez hits as many as homers as Russell, that’d be awesome.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Does Tech winning 2 of 3 at home deserve to jump us? One game was extras. One was a walk off. One was a blowout.

Obviously right now it doesn’t matter. And we’re right next to each other in the rankings. And it’s all about this point in time.

Are they better than us right now?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Does Tech winning 2 of 3 at home deserve to jump us? One game was extras. One was a walk off. One was a blowout.

Obviously right now it doesn’t matter. And we’re right next to each other in the rankings. And it’s all about this point in time.

they just beat us 2 out of 3. that's how it works

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

They beat us last weekend. *shrug*

As to whether we are better than them well I want to see our pitching get back on track before I start declaring us better. Let's see Stevens and Hansen win us games against OU.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Agreed. Seems silly. And no I don't think they're better. 

But - they may have been waiting to drop Texas a few more spots. 8th in the country seems reasonable. 

42 minutes ago, strangulation! said:

they just beat us 2 out of 3. that's how it works

Really? There's NO nuance involved? I don't think that's true. They at the very least consider home and road performance.  

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Really? There's NO nuance involved? I don't think that's true. They at the very least consider home and road performance.  

Tech has feasted on some below average teams this season and would have been higher but they hadn't played anybody. They beat us so they got the justifying win.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Will they be better than us in June? That is all I care about..   The answer is no btw...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Tech has feasted on some below average teams this season and would have been higher but they hadn't played anybody. They beat us so they got the justifying win.

I think it's also Tadlock.  He probably out coached us this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Funny that if we had won one of those first two, we'd likely be #1. Seems odd that the difference between #1 and #8 is a single 1-run road loss. 

The rankings don't matter so don't sweat it. Our RPI is high and if we win the Big 12 we will be a top 8 seed. 

I mean being preseason #1 was cool, but that was all it was. It is not like this is the BCS football shit where staying #1 in polls was the key to your entire season.

Edited by Valmy77

41 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Agreed. Seems silly. And no I don't think they're better. 

But - they may have been waiting to drop Texas a few more spots. 8th in the country seems reasonable. 

maybe so, i'm definitely talking out of my ass. but i'd think with so few games on tv at best the voters/poll assemblers take a cursory scan through the box scores.

10 minutes ago, strangulation! said:

maybe so, i'm definitely talking out of my ass. but i'd think with so few games on tv at best the voters/poll assemblers take a cursory scan through the box scores.

Hell even when all the games are on TV, like in football, this is still how it goes. 

21 minutes ago, strangulation! said:

Well the beginning flow chart question is absolutely: "Did you win your weekend series - yes or no?" 

Then, say you're breaking a tie between teams that are next to each other and both won 2-1. I think they'd probably consider, in order:

- Who'd you play

- home/road/neutral 

- results of games

Maybe they infrequently get to that 4th criterion. I'd imagine it's at least discussed though - D1 baseball seems like they do a good job. 

Will they be better than us in June? That is all I care about..   The answer is no btw...

Yep it’s meaningless now. These rankings have little to no impact on post season bids. I say little because I never certain what influences some of these guys.

I’m also resigned to the fact that winning doesn’t always mean better. This series was as close to a toss up as you’ll get.

And yes I want to be the winning team come June. That’s when perception doesn’t matter any more but can you tick off the wins when that is that matters.

Stevens/Hansen/Nixon must do better. But that Sunday game was emphatic for the win column. I don’t think it was a must win game, but it could be one of the season defining moment wins.
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Stevens/Hansen/Nixon must do better. But that Sunday game was emphatic for the win column. I don’t think it was a must win game, but it could be one of the season defining moment wins.

It was must win if we want to win the conference.