2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

I haven’t kept as much just know we got ewers. I thought by now we would have been getting a lot of top transfers. Why do kids transfer to bama where it’s a stacked depth chart? How are we not landing the best of the best at every position given the shit show of our roster and basically immediate playing time.

5 hours ago, WBT said:

Tony Jeffery came a year after the big 3.  His freshman year, he didn't play much but when he did come into the game he got the ball on an end around 95% of the time.  GD saw no issue with this.  Just looked it up and he had 5 catches and 11 rushing attempts that year.

TJ signed the same year as the Big 3, I believe. Agree on the rest. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A poster on IT mod was watching some IG live or something and said one of the OU 247 mods said they're hearing Addison is likely to portal.

The exact quote:

OU 247 mods said on Instagram live tonight that they expect Addison from Pitt to enter the portal

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

'Ears to the Streets' said he has already been offered the Pitt and Temple OC jobs, didn't he?

Did I make that up?  Am I having Mike Roach centric fever-dreams?

I think it's been reported that he's being considered for both

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Found this to show what Pitt was paying Whipple to be OC. The article was from June 2021.

image.png.72da13c8a7c785a38efd7ab8e1a36df3.png

For comparison sake Andre Coleman's two year contract was as follows:

Year 1 $450k
Year 2 $500k

If we want him bad enough we could pay him in the 700-900k range.

If it is an option, I think Sark should do it. He has to win next year and that will happen with another great wr. In other words, it could be the difference between Sark solidifying his career and risking the loss of his job.

• Hook 'Em 2

If he's smart, he's weighing the benefits of being a young coordinator at a mid-tier P5 program vs being a major program WR who has a chance to learn some offense from one of the best offensive minds at this level. The money should be a secondary factor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

If he's smart, he's weighing the benefits of being a young coordinator at a mid-tier P5 program vs being a major program WR who has a chance to learn some offense from one of the best offensive minds at this level. The money should be a secondary factor. 

I think it depends on his career goals, if his goal is to become a HC someday, being a position coach at Texas is just as good as being an OC at a smaller school.

Edited by HtownHorn

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

why-not-both-why-not.gif

Flood can keep his paycheck and focus on the line and Sark needs to be involved in game plan but maybe could hand over play calling duties to this guy and make him OC. During the game Sark could always say hey I want such and such a play. We do not have to go to the guys offensive system.

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

IMO, I think him being able to work under Sark and learn from Sark as an OC would be tremendous for his career growth and may weigh heavily on him.

1) if Marion was staying at Pitt as OC, Addison presumably wouldn’t/won’t be transferring.  Though all info on both is pure rumor mill so it’s tough to correlate one’s rumors with the other. 

2) is Pitt considered so poorly in the coaching arena that wr coach at Texas is better for a career than OC at Pitt?  It’s a P5 school. 

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

why-not-both-why-not.gif

Flood can keep his paycheck and focus on the line and Sark needs to be involved in game plan but maybe could hand over play calling duties to this guy and make him OC. During the game Sark could always say hey I want such and such a play. We do not have to go to the guys offensive system.

Yes.  Definitely we should have the best play-caller in college football step aside. 

Just now, Fud said:

This is fucking stupid.

I still think Sark is spread to thin and that is why he did not get involved on the defensive side of the ball because of his focus on play calling duties. He needs to hand play calling duties over to someone eventually to function well as a head coach. Yes there is a danger in losing what he brings as a play caller but we do not have to lose what he brings as a game plan strategist.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

I still think Sark is spread to thin and that is why he did not get involved on the defensive side of the ball because of his focus on play calling duties. He needs to hand play calling duties over to someone eventually to function well as a head coach. Yes there is a danger in losing what he brings as a play caller but we do not have to lose what he brings as a game plan strategist.

Confused I Have No Idea W Hat Im Doing GIF - Confused I Have No Idea W Hat  Im Doing Dog - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think it depends on his career goals, if his goal is to become a HC someday, being a position coach at Texas is just as good as being an OC at a smaller school.

19 minutes ago, Fud said:

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IMO, I think him being able to work under Sark and learn from Sark as an OC would be tremendous for his career growth and may weigh heavily on him.

This is some aggy-level shit right here.

Seriously y'all need to stop with the "position coach at Texas is better than coordinator at Pitt" talk.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Confused I Have No Idea W Hat Im Doing GIF - Confused I Have No Idea W Hat  Im Doing Dog - Discover & Share GIFs

Help me here, how many head coaches that call the all the plays on defense or offense have won a national championship? It is my experience that managers that don't delegate non-managerial duties become bottlenecks in their organizations. Then again I could be wrong so help me out.

2 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

bad take man. I love everything about what Sark brings offensively. Playcalling might be the last thing we need to worry about with this football team. Sark's best asset is his offensive mind, he's super cerebral and meticulous in his approach, a Kiffin model wouldn't work with him because he groups plays together conceptually, not individually. He's talked about this before in clinics. It seems WILD to suggest that we take our best asset and minimize it... In order to give play calling to a guy who last called plays at Howard. What are we doing here!? Sark is not Herman

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Seriously y'all need to stop with the "position coach at Texas is better than coordinator at Pitt" talk.

Did I say that at all? Factor in pay which being a WR coach at Texas could potentially pay more than OC at Pitt plus the ability to work under one of the best OC in the country is about career growth and development. It's all factors that could go into his decision making. You don't know nor do I know what he is going to do and his thought process. Who is to say that he will even be hired to be OC at Pitt? But one thing is for sure if he comes in and does well at Texas at WR coach slash whatever title we give him that will give him more opportunities to become an OC than being the WR coach at Pitt. But you're right we shouldn't discuss things like that on a message board!

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Ideally that's what you'd want, but it's really not how it works with guys like Sark, at least not at this point in their career. Maybe one day *if Sark hangs around and wins a 'ship or eight and brings in recruiting classes in the top three-four every year that satisfy all of the correct positions, then he can delegate the offense away to a revolving door of plug-and-play big time ex-head coaches or what have you. That time is not now.

*Obviously that's a huge if

Edited by UncleBuck

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Ideally that's what you'd want, but it's really not how it works with guys like Sark, at least not at this point in their career. Maybe one day *if Sark hangs around and wins a 'ship or eight and brings in recruiting classes in the top three-four every year that satisfy all of the correct positions, then he can delegate the offense away until that OC position is a revolving door of plug-and-play big time ex-head coaches or what have you. That time is not now.

*Obviously that's a huge if

If anything he wouldn't bring in an outside guy todo it. He said this year that if he would've gotten Covid Milwee was gonna be the play caller.

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

Help me here, how many head coaches that call the all the plays on defense or offense have won a national championship? It is my experience that managers that don't delegate non-managerial duties become bottlenecks in their organizations. Then again I could be wrong so help me out.

If you change "has won a national championship" to "has contended for a national championship", you're looking at Jimbo (who actually has won one), Day, and Riley

Also, you want Sark to reorganize his coaching staff assignments and to give up play calling to make room for the Pitt WR coach. That's ridiculous. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

If you change "has won a national championship" to "has contended for a national championship", you're looking at Jimbo (who actually has won one), Day, and Riley

Also, you want Sark to reorganize his coaching staff assignments and to give up play calling to make room for the Pitt WR coach. That's ridiculous. 

Well that and the entire point of hiring Sarkisian is because of his offense and playcalling. If he's not doing that then he shouldn't be head coach.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

f anything he wouldn't bring in an outside guy todo it. He said this year that if he would've gotten Covid Milwee was gonna be the play caller.

Well obviously building from the inside is always a preferred option when these guys want to start letting up on play-calling, but I'm not sure the Milwee factoid is the tell. It was always going to be someone on the staff.

6 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

He's not getting the Pitt job. He's likely not getting a P5 coordinator job without some G5 work 1st, at that point depending on his career aspirations, being the WR coach at Texas as opposed to the OC of some G5 school is not a big difference.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Did I say that at all? Factor in pay which being a WR coach at Texas could potentially pay more than OC at Pitt plus the ability to work under one of the best OC in the country is about career growth and development. It's all factors that could go into his decision making. You don't know nor do I know what he is going to do and his thought process. Who is to say that he will even be hired to be OC at Pitt? But one thing is for sure if he comes in and does well at Texas at WR coach slash whatever title we give him that will give him more opportunities to become an OC than being the WR coach at Pitt. But you're right we shouldn't discuss things like that on a message board!

I lumped you three retards in together, since you're all playing the aggy game of "He should come here to learn from Jimbo since he's one of the top 3 coaches in football, and we're the premier SEC team in Texas and he'll get more exposure playing for us, and he should come here cause we can pay him more, and associating with our school will get him bigger and better offers, and being janitor for aggy is better than head coach anywhere else." 

He may come to Texas, because WR coach at Texas pays more than WR coach at Pitt, and WR coach at Texas is an upgrade in prestige. But, if he's getting OC offers, he likely isn't going to come here.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I lumped you three retards in together, since you're all playing the aggy game of "He should come here to learn from Jimbo since he's one of the top 3 coaches in football, and we're the premier SEC team in Texas and he'll get more exposure playing for us, and he should come here cause we can pay him more, and associating with our school will get him bigger and better offers, and being janitor for aggy is better than head coach anywhere else." 

He may come to Texas, because WR coach at Texas pays more than WR coach at Pitt, and WR coach at Texas is an upgrade in prestige. But, if he's getting OC offers, he likely isn't going to come here.

He's clearly not getting the p5 OC offers, he's applying but not getting them to date.

WR coach at Texas + random other title > g5 OC, both in pay and potential to land more prestigious role

It's not aggie to think that a coach who is on the rise would want to learn from one of the great offensive playcallers. It's just logic and you trying to make it some "haha fucking aggy train of thought" is more aggie than anything we've stated about it.

• Hook 'Em 4

Maybe you don’t want to take away one of the few things your HC is actually good at?

31 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah well hey, maybe you'll think a little harder next time before having a take, huh?

I did give it some thought since my take comes from how Bill Belichick works with the defense plus how first time managers that fail to stop doing their prior duties and grow into their management duties after a promotion usually fail as managers.

Bill Belichick does not call all the plays but is essential in helping on game plans and when to call blitzes. That is why I said Sark could get involved in critical situations. The Patroits are as good as they have been over the years on defense because of Bill and not the DC(s) but yet he does not call all the plays. Clearly folks here feel that Sark cannot grow as a head coach to take on a similar role to better deal with the rest of of his duties so I have conceded that my take was bad.

Edited by DanTheHorn

8 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I did give it some thought since my take comes from how Bill Belichick works with the defense plus how first time managers that fail to stop doing their prior duties and grow into their management duties after a promotion usually fail as managers.

Bill Belichick does not call all the plays but is essential in helping on game plans and when to call blitzes. That is why I said Sark could get involved in critical situations. The Patroits are as good as they have been over the years on defense because of Bill and not the DC(s) but yet he does not call all the plays. Clearly folks here feel that Sark cannot grow as a head coach to take on a similar role to better deal with the rest of of his duties so I have conceded that my take was bad.

I just don't see the point. its not an issue. I generally thought he made great in game decisions besides the dicker fake punt and not going for it on 4th and 2 at the Iowa State 40 yard line. You say you want him more involved with the D but honestly what could he add? What did Tom Herman add to the D by not calling plays? Correct me if im wrong, but there has been nothing to indicate that Sark cannot call plays and be an effective HC. I like what we did offensively and for the first time in YEARS it felt like we had an offensive identity that struck fear in our opponents.

15 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Clearly folks here feel that Sark cannot grow as a head coach to take on a similar role to better deal with the rest of of his duties so I have conceded that my take was bad.

As I was saying in an earlier reply to you, that's just not where Sark's is at this stage of his career. His greatest value to the program right now IS HIS offense. He'd have to grow, put some skins on the wall and have this program firing like a top 4-5 program should before plug-and-playing OCs to run offenses he's cool with. It's not that I think he can't (or can), it's just that he's not there today.

Edited by UncleBuck

8 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I just don't see the point. its not an issue. I generally thought he made great in game decisions besides the dicker fake punt and not going for it on 4th and 2 at the Iowa State 40 yard line. You say you want him more involved with the D but honestly what could he add? What did Tom Herman add to the D by not calling plays? Correct me if im wrong, but there has been nothing to indicate that Sark cannot call plays and be an effective HC. I like what we did offensively and for the first time in YEARS it felt like we had an offensive identity that struck fear in our opponents.

I failed to set context. In one of Sark's press conferences he said he would not get involved on fixing the defense until after the season. Why had he not been involved already? Why is he waiting? My conclusion is he is spread thin due to play calling and was not being as effective as he should be as a head coach. I have conceded bad take I am just explaining that I did give my take some thought and did not just pull out of my ass as suggested earlier.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

I see your point.  I just think Sark's best use case NOW is in getting the offense humming and it's not there yet though it made some strides.

For now, I think a Grinch-esque hire on defense to stabilize things makes the most sense.

I agree as program matures that I would prefer he be more head coach and less offensive coordinator.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)