3. Star Wars ANH/Star Wars ESB
  4. Jurassic Park
  5. Independence Day
  6. Terminator 2
  7. Aliens
  8. Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
  9. A Trip to the Moon/Metropolis
  10. Fifth element

Honorable Mention: Back to the Future, Planet of the Apes, Day the Earth Stood Still, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

• Hook 'Em 1

In no particular order:

Blade Runner

Alien

Terminator

The Thing (John Carpenter version)

12 Monkeys

Dredd

Gravity

A Scanner Darkly

The Road Warrior

Donnie Darko

honorable mention: Brazil, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the one with Donald Sutherland), 12 Monkeys, Live Die Repeat, Escape from New York, Annihilation, The Fly (Jeff Goldblum version)...

• Hook 'Em 2

Alien / Blade Runner / Twilight Zone episode with giant alien human-looking farm couple, tiny astronauts and US Air Force saucer in attic / War of the Worlds (both) / Contact / Arrival / The Time Machine (both) / Barbarella / Flash Gordon / 1970s original Star Wars whatever TF its actual name is

Maybe not the best, but my favorites

Planet of the apes

fifth element

Aliens 1/2

Andromeda strain

ET

close encounters 

Soylent green 

blade runner

the thing. (Kurt Russel version)

terminator 

2001, but only 'cause it's Kubric, and I hate 2001, it's so ploddingly slow it puts me too sleep, but it's the sci fi masterpiece... not in my top 10 it isn't.

But you could throw in the matrix, predator, invasion of the body snatchers, the blob, and a couple of the campy 50's sci fi offerings.

The day the earth stood still still holds up on many levels. 

Is Godzilla a monster movie, sci fi, or political/metaphorical genre ?

Edited by Onboard 2.0

14 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I love sci-fi so I’m going to think on it a little before posting my list 

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The Abyss

The Fifth Element

Independence Day

Jurassic Park

Predator

Aliens

Blade Runner

Total Recall

Terminator 2

The Matrix

Think harder.  :D

• Haha 2

Just winging it on the metro on my way home. 

Blade Runner

Dredd

Aliens

Arrival

Matrix 

Event Horizon 

Empire Strikes Back

Star Trek: Undiscovered Country

Total Recall

Europa Report

Edited by Bateshorn

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Oops, I stand corrected.

Okay, why hasn’t anyone mentioned Forbidden Planet? Or Gattaca?

FP was mentioned, and I would normally include it on my list, but I think The Day the Earth Stood Still is a better 1950s sci-fi, and has held up a little better.

17 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Spaceballs

I watched it again last year and it didn’t hold up as well as I remembered. There are still some good gags. I also rewatched The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Fifth Dimension. Is Spaceballs that much better? I don’t know. Spaceball’s has a good cast but Buckaroo Banzai has John Lithgow hamming it up brilliantly. Tough call. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

On 7/7/2021 at 6:24 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Maybe not the best, but my favorites

Planet of the apes

fifth element

Aliens 1/2

Andromeda strain

ET

close encounters 

Soylent green 

blade runner

the thing. (Kurt Russel version)

terminator 

2001, but only 'cause it's Kubric, and I hate 2001, it's so plodding slow it puts me too sleep, but its the masterpiece... not in my top 10 it isn't.

But you could throw in the matrix, predator, invasion of the body snatchers, the blob, and a couple of the campy 50's sci fi.

The day the earth stood still still holds up on many levels. 

2001 is like watching living art -- does that make sense? I love it but, yes, it's slow. Wouldn't A Clockwork Orange qualify as sci-fi?

On 7/7/2021 at 6:24 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

2001, but only 'cause it's Kubric, and I hate 2001, it's so plodding slow it puts me too sleep, but its the masterpiece... not in my top 10 it isn't.

So much this.  The tag line should have been, "In the future, nothing will happen."

Off the top of my head. Some of these are all-time great movies. Some are just sci-fi movies that I've enjoyed:

A Clockwork Orange

Dr Strangelove

Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars

The Thing (Kurt Russell)

Terminator 2

Alien/Aliens

Blade Runner

Interstellar

Close Encounters

Star Trek (Chris Pine reboot)

Star Trek 2 (Ricardo Montalban as Khan)

Wall-E

Galaxy Quest

Young Frankestein

Spaceballs

Back to the Future/Back to the Future 3

Ready Player One

Jurassic Park

The Abyss

District 9

Donnie Darko

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Total Recall (Arnie's version)

The Running Man

The Road Warrior

Predator

Army of Darkness

Minority Report

Guardians of the Galaxy

The Matrix

What Planet Are You From? (I love Garry Shandling -- sue me)

Edited by C-Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, C-Man said:

2001 is like watching living art -- does that make sense? I love it but, yes, it's slow. Wouldn't A Clockwork Orange qualify as sci-fi?

It's Kubrick so it makes perfect sense. I can appreciate it, and still never want to watch it.  Kinda yeah, but not enough to push it into that category enough for me.  Is 1984 considered sci fi ?  Slaughterhouse 5 ?

• Hook 'Em 1

Rather than throw some form of the list that looks pretty much like all of the aforementioned like-minded lists, I'm just going to say that Flash Gordon (1980) isn't showing up on enough of them.  Yeah, it's campy, but it's really pretty and the soundtrack rocks.

Also, 8 year old DCBC wants to know if the original King Kong is sci-fi, or are monster movies their own category?

Also, if we can talk about miniseries that surely haven't aged well, but which I enjoyed, I humbly submit V and V-The Final Battle.

And since someone mentioned They Live, the cable classic, Night of the Comet gets a mention.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's Kubrick so it makes perfect sense. I can appreciate it, and still never want to watch it.  Kinda yeah, but not enough to push it into that category enough for me.  Is 1984 considered sci fi ?  Slaughterhouse 5 ?

I used to pop in 2001 when I'd get home from the bars. It was great to have on as you were dozing off. Like I said, I really love it. It's just beautiful. But slow, slow, slow. Pretty wild that the special effects still look pretty good despite the moving coming out in 1969 or whatever.

I would definitely consider 1984 to be sci-fi.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Has anyone said Godzilla, or the  original Frankenstein ? ?  Are those monster movies or sci fi ?  

The Valley of Gwangi is a childhood favorite and was going to throw it in here but wasn't sure if it qualified, perhaps a Top Monster Movie thread should be started?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Rather than thrown some form of the list that looks pretty much like you like-minded people's lists, I'm just going to say that Flash Gordon (1980) isn't showing up on enough of these lists.  Yeah, it's campy, but it's really pretty and the soundtrack rocks.

Also, 8 year old DCBC wants to know if the original King Kong is sci-fi, or are monster movies their own category?

Also, if we can talk about miniseries that surely haven't aged well, but which I enjoyed, I humbly submit V and V-The Final Battle.

And since someone mentioned They Live, the cable classic, Night of the Comet gets a mention.

Yeaaaaahh. .......nooooooo on the Flash Gordon. Saw it when originally raleased as a HS kid, and hated it then it was so bad.

Maybe now it's campy, and I'd appreciate it more. Yes, it's damned colorful, and pretty.  Flash must have spent 2 hours a day on his perfectly 80's, feathered hair alone.  Max Von Snydow as the bad guy was the only acting I liked.  It reminded me of a slightly better buck Rodgers in the 21st c. thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeaaaaahh. .......nooooooo on the Flash Gordon. Saw it when originally raleased as a HS kid, and hated it then it was so bad.

Maybe now it's campy, and I'd appreciate it more. Yes, it's damned colorful, and pretty.  Flash must have spent 2 hours a day on his perfectly 80's, feathered hair alone.  Max Von Snydow as the bad guy was the only acting I liked.  It reminded me of a slightly better buck Rodgers in the 21st c. thing.

I was younger than you when it came out and thought it was the coolest thing ever.  Now, it's mostly funny (yeah, the acting is wooden, but quotable).  It's really nice to look at and I'll iterate that the Queen score is killer.  Also, lots of whipping.

Also, I watched the shit out of BR&21C as a kid.  Again, younger.

Edited by dcbc

39 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Pretty wild that the special effects still look pretty good despite the moving coming out in 1969 or whatever.

Without all of the relative motion camera work (camera moves while space ship is stationary against the starfield background) Kubrick did in 2001, there would be no Star Wars.  I agree it's beautiful and I do own a copy.

33 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I was younger than you when it came out and thought it was the coolest thing ever.  Now, it's mostly funny (yeah, the acting is wooden, but quotable).  It's really nice to look at and I'll iterate that the Queen score is killer.  Also, lots of whipping.

Also, I watched the shit out of BR&21C as a kid.  Again, younger.

Yep watched Buck Rodgers, and seeing it now it's almost painful sometimes, but as a kid, it was sci fi so I was watching g it.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Without all of the relative motion camera work (camera moves while space ship is stationary against the starfield background) Kubrick did in 2001, there would be no Star Wars.  I agree it's beautiful and I do own a copy.

And we all know Star Wars is a western set in space....