Is there good BBQ in Ft. Worth?

Gil Bang

don't worry...I'm not gonna fuck your wife while I'm in town.   Fatties aren't my thing. 
Heim is by far the easiest one to deal with and it is very good. The river location is bigger and not far now that the white settlement bridge is open. They won't be out of anything, line will be manageable, you can sit inside etc. They are closed on some weird day if the week, so check on that.

If it's a weekday trip, you'll be limited to Heim's or Cooper's in the Stockyards. Personally, the shine has worn off of Heim's for me. They were outstanding when they were in the food truck, really good when they moved to Magnolia, extremely average once Travis and Emma opened multiple locations and a catering facility. I think they just got spread too thin. It's not bad, it's just not as good as it once was, and it's pricey. 

Panther City has been, surprisingly, hit or miss. Derek Allan's is average. I went to Dayne's recently and really liked the brisket, but was incredibly disappointed in the ribs and sausage. Smiley's in Roanoke was a huge disappointment, but their brisket was good. Smokeaholics off I-35 is really good, but there's no place to sit and eat there. It's a to-go spot. Heard they opened up a spot in the Crockett food hall but I haven't been yet. 

I hate that Flores BBQ on the trail went away, they were excellent. 

The best place in FW right now is Goldee's. They're in SE FW off 820 and 287. Best BBQ in the city. It'll be on the next top 50 list for sure. Pretty sure they're only open on weekends though. Excellent everything. Great bread too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

If it's a weekday trip, you'll be limited to Heim's or Cooper's in the Stockyards. Personally, the shine has worn off of Heim's for me. They were outstanding when they were in the food truck, really good when they moved to Magnolia, extremely average once Travis and Emma opened multiple locations and a catering facility. I think they just got spread too thin. It's not bad, it's just not as good as it once was, and it's pricey. 

Panther City has been, surprisingly, hit or miss. Derek Allan's is average. I went to Dayne's recently and really liked the brisket, but was incredibly disappointed in the ribs and sausage. Smiley's in Roanoke was a huge disappointment, but their brisket was good. Smokeaholics off I-35 is really good, but there's no place to sit and eat there. It's a to-go spot. Heard they opened up a spot in the Crockett food hall but I haven't been yet. 

The best place in FW right now is Goldee's. They're in SE FW off 820 and 287. Best BBQ in the city. It'll be on the next top 50 list for sure. Pretty sure they're only open on weekends though. Excellent everything. Great bread too. 

its been a couple weeks since i hit up panther city.  how long has it been hit or miss for you?  good call on smokeaholics.

16 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

its been a couple weeks since i hit up panther city.  how long has it been hit or miss for you?  good call on smokeaholics.

I went sometime back in the spring. I first went pre-pandemic, then again back in the fall. Varying levels of success. 

I enjoyed Smokeaholics, it's just too bad they don't have seating. That's a major drawback for them. 

17 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

I went sometime back in the spring. I first went pre-pandemic, then again back in the fall. Varying levels of success. 

I enjoyed Smokeaholics, it's just too bad they don't have seating. That's a major drawback for them. 

go back to panther city again.  twice is not enough to make a hit or miss declaration on one of the most consistently good bbq spots in town.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

go back to panther city again.  twice is not enough to make a hit or miss declaration on one of the most consistently good bbq spots in town.

I've been on three separate occasions.  Once, pre-pandemic, second time was in the fall of 2020, and this last time was late March early April of this year.  First time, the brisket was good but the ribs were dry as sand.  The second time, the brisket wasn't very good.  The third time the brisket was good, but everything else was very average.  That's enough of a sample size for me to make a declaration.  Especially when BBQ prices are what they are now.  I spend upwards of $30 each time I go to a craft BBQ spot just so I can get a combination of brisket, ribs, sausage, turkey, pulled pork.  For me to keep going back, it better be consistently great, not just "good".  

I'll try it again at some point, but for now, the go-to spot on weekends is Goldee's.  Hands down the best in FW.  Have you tried them yet?  Worth the trip.  It's off the beaten path, but not a bad trip. It's maybe 5 minutes off of 820 and 287.  

I also want to try Hurtado BBQ in Arlington.  Been wanting to try it for a while now, just can't seem to make the schedule work to go over there.  Anyone had that yet?

18 hours ago, immamac said:

Go to any one of Tim Loves restaurants. 

18 hours ago, immamac said:

This is sarcasm, right? Fuck Tim Love.

At any rate, Panther City is fantastic! Make sure you get the brisket elotes -- phenomenal. They'll make a half order ($5, I think) if you ask them to. Goldee's is great too. Super nice dudes running that place. I have to agree on Heim based on what they've opened with over by Love Field. It's OK because it's 2 minutes from my house but nowhere near the quality of Panther City or Goldee's. I hear Dayne's is awesome too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Daynes, Goldees, Hurtados, Smokeaholics, and Panther City are my top 5. Favorite brisket is either Daynes or Goldees. Ribs would be Panther City or Daynes. But its been awhile since i've made it through all of them again. And I still need to get to Brix.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, C-Man said:

This is sarcasm, right? Fuck Tim Love.

At any rate, Panther City is fantastic! Make sure you get the brisket elotes -- phenomenal. They'll make a half order ($5, I think) if you ask them to. Goldee's is great too. Super nice dudes running that place. I have to agree on Heim based on what they've opened with over by Love Field. It's OK because it's 2 minutes from my house but nowhere near the quality of Panther City or Goldee's. I hear Dayne's is awesome too.

no? I don't know Tim Love personally enough to agree or disagree with your "Fuck Tim Love" sentiment, but his restaurants are very good and woodshed is also really good food including their BBQ. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I had a pretty poor experience at Cooper's FWIW.  And, I'm far from a BBQ snob.  The food was incredibly salty.

Having worked four blocks from this location, maybe the Llano location has something but the Ft. Worth location is tied for last choice with Dickey's on my list. The fact it is located in the Stockyards makes it likely to never go under due to the tourist customers, but locals have better options as mentioned in this thread.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Meat U Anywhere in Trophy Club and Grapevine is kinda Ft Worth and they are excellent.

It's OK but nowhere near on par with Panther City or Goldee's or Dayne's (so I hear). I forgot to mention Hurtado. My sometimes BBQ cook partner, who might open his own place some day, might argue it's the best in DFW now. I cannot stress how good the brisket elotes dish is at Panther City. There's a little bar adjacent to it -- great spot. Highly recommend.

58 minutes ago, immamac said:

no? I don't know Tim Love personally enough to agree or disagree with your "Fuck Tim Love" sentiment, but his restaurants are very good and woodshed is also really good food including their BBQ. 

Tim is an assclown/douchebag of the highest order.

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

It's OK but nowhere near on par with Panther City or Goldee's or Dayne's (so I hear).

Haven't been to any of those, need to fix that. I work next to MUA and they are consistently good. 

3 hours ago, immamac said:

I’ve never been to any of his restaurants in the FW area, but Lonesome Dove is a mediocre overpriced piece of shit that isn’t worthy of its name.

You ain’t kidding on Flores, their brisket and ribs were outstanding every time I had it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

There's an article behind the Star Telegram site from last year that talks about the Flores smoker and some of their cooks coming over to Roy Pope Grocery to sell their BBQ and brisket tacos. 

Don't know when that's supposed to happen, but since RP re-opened, they've had a limited menu. Things might have changed though, since I haven't read much about Flores/Campo recently. 

On 7/9/2021 at 10:28 AM, DeepEastTexas said:

I've been on three separate occasions.  Once, pre-pandemic, second time was in the fall of 2020, and this last time was late March early April of this year.  First time, the brisket was good but the ribs were dry as sand.  The second time, the brisket wasn't very good.  The third time the brisket was good, but everything else was very average.  That's enough of a sample size for me to make a declaration.  Especially when BBQ prices are what they are now.  I spend upwards of $30 each time I go to a craft BBQ spot just so I can get a combination of brisket, ribs, sausage, turkey, pulled pork.  For me to keep going back, it better be consistently great, not just "good".  

I'll try it again at some point, but for now, the go-to spot on weekends is Goldee's.  Hands down the best in FW.  Have you tried them yet?  Worth the trip.  It's off the beaten path, but not a bad trip. It's maybe 5 minutes off of 820 and 287.  

I also want to try Hurtado BBQ in Arlington.  Been wanting to try it for a while now, just can't seem to make the schedule work to go over there.  Anyone had that yet?

Gonna be there on Friday with the wife to check out Goldee's.  I have heard about it and your rec makes it a go.

On 7/10/2021 at 9:20 PM, conVINCEd said:

They made their tortillas using brisket fat instead of lard?

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

Yes, that is my understanding.

On 7/10/2021 at 9:40 PM, bluto said:

They still in operation somewhere?

They're selling them online but I think they also set up shop at the Whitney Farmers Market. A friend who loves food ordered several dozen and gave us one. I'm not sure it's cost effective to buy tortillas and have them shipped at this point but goddamn they're good!

18 minutes ago, pch said:

Gonna be there on Friday with the wife to check out Goldee's.  I have heard about it and your rec makes it a go.

Hope you like it. The guys running it seem like really good dudes.

It appears Flores is still selling them at the Whitney Farmers Market for $10/dozen. It's $9 to get them shipped so you're looking at a dozen tortillas shipped for $19, two dozen for $29, three for $39 and so on. They're fun for a special occasion but unless you can pick some up without the shipping, I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Yes, that is my understanding.

They're selling them online but I think they also set up shop at the Whitney Farmers Market. A friend who loves food ordered several dozen and gave us one. I'm not sure it's cost effective to buy tortillas and have them shipped at this point but goddamn they're good!

Hope you like it. The guys running it seem like really good dudes.

We frequent Steagall's nursery on Dick Price Rd. and have driven past Goldee's on several occasions due to the fact they are only open Fri-Sun.  Will be taking home some of the offerings if the initial trial impresses.

8 hours ago, pch said:

We frequent Steagall's nursery on Dick Price Rd. and have driven past Goldee's on several occasions due to the fact they are only open Fri-Sun.  Will be taking home some of the offerings if the initial trial impresses.

I did not get the Turkey, but I was told it was outstanding. I continue to get the brisket, ribs, and sausage. All very good. Really enjoyed the moist brisket.  See what you think.

Some people aren't into the taxidermy bear and wood paneling ambiance.

This BBQ we’re talking about. If the place has ambience, the food is guaranteed to suck.

Angelos BBQ Salami sandwich on dark rye is the stuff of BBQ legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dayne's, Panther City and Derek Allan's in Fort Worth are great.  If you want to go out a little further, Goldee's out in the Kennedale area has really good brisket (and their bread).  I find Heim and Hurtados to be very overrated IMHO.