car stuff - $7100 to replace 2015 transmission seems a bit much

my wife has a 2015 jeep renegade that i just fucking paid off three months ago.

we have had a few transmission problems, and took it in for a recall issue to the jeep dealer. they fixed that, tried an oil test, found nothing. we had a local, trusted mobile mechanic come look, and he said he detected a transmission leak, and recommended that we take it over to a local transmission shop.

i was just quoted $7100 plus taxes for a complete replacement. i trust the guy at the shop for reasons i won't get too into, but i don't think i'm being taken for a ride, given that the 9 speed transmission in this jeep is very poorly thought of.

why should i not just trade this shit in and get a different car? $7100 seems like a but of an investment for a 6 year old car.

any gearheads here have any opinions?

That sounds excessively high, but I don't know what goes into a 2015 jeep transmission,  maybe they use round diamonds instead of ball-bearings? 

I know when I got my first quote to replace the motor in my 2012 f150, my initial reaction was to say fuck no. But seeing how I owned it, no payments and what it cost for a truck I'd want... I think the key is to find not only the right place, but the right shop. Lucky for me I worked with a guy who is a motor head and bought some old trucks, had a shop in Houston swap out the motors, he swore up and down about them. Raved about their shop, how they did business.  Their price wasn't the cheapest,  wasn't the most expensive. Don't just read reviews,  talk to people if you can. 

Short-ish powertrain warranty at 5 years/100k.

Looks like it's a ZF 9-speed auto, which was pretty advanced for then.  Also looks to be problematic to the point of being a raging POS in everything that's had it, including Hondas and Toyotas.

7100 seems really steep for a reman tranny.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I've always said its cheaper to keep them running than buying something new.  Of course, I've never owned a Jeep.

If you did you wouldn't say that.

Their electronics always made me think they were first cousins with the prince  of darkness Lucas .

6 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Damn, that's rough. $7100 is more than I've paid for the last few cars I've owned. Never worked on a newer jeep tranny but I would get a second opinion. Are you mechanically inclined, if so hit the forums and do it your self with some buddies.

I'm pretty sure that's not the preferred word nowadays 

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

That sounds like he's quoting a factory replacement and not a rebuild. If that's the case the price is reasonable and likely will have long warranty like 36k plus with it.

Otherwise I think its high by a couple thousand.

Good point, could be.  Still sounds a bit high though.

I'm there now with an 05 Tahoe . Quoted right at $4,800 for a total rebuild.  Keeping it, and doing the swap myself with the son... he don't it yet, and it'll be his one day for a good beach truck.

New was about $6k I believe.

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm there now with an 05 Tahoe . Quoted right at $4,800 for a total rebuild.  Keeping it, and doing the swap myself with the son... he don't it yet, and it'll be his one day for a good beach truck.

Nice.  I've got someone rebuilding one now at $4,100.  I wish I had space to do more car stuff.  Slowly as kids have grown and left house I have less cars, certainly less "older" cars around to work on.  Next move I definitely need to get a place with an area to try a more extensive rebuild. 

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Last 4L60E I did ran me about $2500, then I put it in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Actually wasn’t too terrible as I recall. But I’m one of those that will put in new everything while I’m there so tcase service, new u-joints, new trans mount etc all took extra time. 

Oh hell yeah.  Let that stuff all break in together.  If your transmission is going or gone chances are the u joints are in need of replacement as well.

It's that whole while you're there thing. 

The son had to replace a clutch  part in his transmission, which meant dropping the whole thing.

He replaced all the seals, U joints, etc. while there .  He's in Vegas, and they have shops you can rent lift time.  He's met a whole group of guys who work on their cars, and will lend a hand on yours when they're around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

He replaced all the seals, U joints, etc. while there .  He's in Vegas, and they have shops you can rent lift time.  He's met a whole group of guys who work on their cars, and will lend a hand on yours when they're around.

And that’s where I screwed up.  So of course it eventually had to be pulled again, for a rear main.  Facepalm 

When our 2007 Tahoe trans shit the bed just W of Clovis, New Mexico in summer 2019, I got lucky & managed to connect with a local old timer who got me on the road in 30 hours. Said he already had a donor trans on the bench & was doing the rebuild as soon as the phone call ended.

Said his 1st trans pull was in 1955 & then your mind goes to "yeah, but does he know the current shit?"

While he was driving me back to the hotel, he says "Yeah, I go to Vegas every 2 years & spend a weekend getting recertified, plus my Snap On diagnostic software license costs me $ 1,750 a year."

Called him 3 weeks later to make sure the check payment from my bank went through OK & he says "How's it feel?"

I said "Can't even feel the 1 - 2 - 3 shift @ all..." he responds with "Yeah, I put in a 'race' 1st & 2nd gear."

Even with a bonus 2 hotel nights & the wife renting a 1 way minivan back to Austin (she couldn't layover another day... had work issues), it still cost less than a local shop would have charged.

$ 2,100 was his cost.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Those transmissions suck. 

Eh. I’ve put over 350k teenage thru 25 yo miles on them with one rebuild. That truck still lives, is a half ton that was goosenecked and was in the mud more than not in first 120k miles. It did it’s part. But is what it is, just a simple 4 speed.