Austin: Business Team Meal

Apologies but I did not find a great spot in the Austin subforum as more of a general vs. cuisine question. I am having some work colleagues come to town - all Yankees. Where would you guys recommend taking them these days for some good local flavor? I've been gone a long time and do not really know what's top of mind and a lot of my old go-to's have gone. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

As much as I don't like the food there, the County Line on the Hill is perfect for such an event.  Margaritas out on the patio with a great view.  Huge beef ribs.  Memorable for out of towners.

I have done the same, you can order the all you can eat BBQ and watch their heads explode as the platters are set down. 

I also don't love the food at Matt's but that is pretty traditional Tex Mex atmosphere to experience. 

Define "local flavor."  Meaning BBQ or Tex-Mex?  Or a good restaurant, even if not particularly "Texan"?

I have no idea as to how open for business these places are, but here are some ideas:

Roaring Fork

Z-tejas (yes, I know it's a chain, but I've never been disappointed)

South Congress area--Guero's, Perla's, etc

Ranch 616 used to be popular, but no idea if it's still around

Salt Lick was a good suggestion.  Out of towners love that place.  

Gloria's

Hula Hut

Or you can go out to a brewery that does food.  Like ABGB, Jester King, etc.  That's pretty local flavor.  Or Vista Brewing out in Driftwood.  Nice drive, sit outside, listen to music, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Depends.... as always...

I can see County Line... but...  I would ask the expectations of a dinner for your group?  Matt's might be a good choice in that it gives that Tex/Mex flavor in an environment that is corporate friendly.

But if you want to be a bad ass... get a reservation at Vespaio and let them see a little of South Congress.  I would somehow have Continental Club be involved, likely drinks before the meal as they almost always have early music.  If you want them to go to a trough go to County Line.  If you want them to experience Austin... I am showing them some music paired with dinner.

Upside is they are Yankees.... so just order Tequila shots for everyone and yelll... "Fucking Carpetbaggers!"

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Salt Lick is made for them. Had it back on labor day weekend,  honestly it wasn’t bad 

get a reservation if you can 

The only problem with Salt Lick is that you have to get out there and back, especially if there is drinking involved.  Otherwise it is a custom-made Texas experience for Yankees.

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

What kind of business are in and the age spread ?

I’m 48, in Enegry. If you took me to hula hut for a team dinner, I’d be questioning why you’re work for us.

Me thinks thou projecteth too much.  

• Haha 1

I have taken younger west coast colleagues to Suerte and Kemuri.  Both were big hits, but I knew ahead of time that these were foodie types. 

I have some older colleagues that come into town once a year for a conference, and they always want to go to Fonda.     

As a proud Yankee that lived in Austin and also knows good BBQ, Salt Lick is a winner. They won't have any idea it's not top of the line BBQ and the experience and setting is worth the drive. They will go home talking about the place you took them in the hills with all the meat. Very unique experience. 

Yup.

Yankees can find fine dining, Asian, or Italian all over the place up there.

They can't find the Salt Lick.

And like baboon said, they'll have no idea it's mediocre  BBQ.

But if you don't want to go that far out, then Matt's is another good call, for similar reasons.

Edited by utee94