What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

2 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Maybe you need new friends

You could have pushed him out the passenger door you know

I do need new friends.  But he's a neighbor.  Those are harder to replace.  Especially given my restraining order.  And he was driving.  He's a super nice guy.  But just funny because he was just ranting about real estate prices, Austin crime, the awesomeness of Los Angeles, and then the greatness of In-N-Out when there's a What-a-Burger 100 yards away.  Plus the talk we were at was about the Iranian funding of Hamas and he's descended from one of the last prominent Tehran Jewish families and we were talking about my Sephardic Jew heritage while waiting for the burger order.  Then he was asking about there's two different police departments assigned to our neighborhood and which one he should call when the shit goes down.  And all I really wanted to say to him was, "Look man, you're not from Surly.  But we are living in a computer simulation, obviously.  But I'll pick the weeds between our driveways just in case."  

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

I love Dirty Martin's, and maybe you're going through senility.  But if you've spent much time around campus lately...their hours are so fucking hit or miss/arbitrary...it's maddening.  This talk let out at past 9:00p so they were closed.  Some days, I go by there and it's bustling.  Other times, even at normal eating hours...it's totally dead.  I don't know what's going on there, but they're proper-fucked long term.  

That's good to hear actually.  Haven't been on campus much lately, but beginning of semester it was dead quiet over there.  And then of course that bullshit about being bulldozed for a train track that will likely never happen.  I need to hit it up last week when I wind down office hours.  Which is basically me eating my weight in fries, farting, and listening to kids ask me about which $200k investment banking job they should take.  And I'm like, 'Uh, I'll get the check,  but my first job offer also started with a '2' but had slightly fewer zeroes behind it.  Go get me a Keers."  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

That's good to hear actually.  Haven't been on campus much lately, but beginning of semester it was dead quiet over there.  And then of course that bullshit about being bulldozed for a train track that will likely never happen.  I need to hit it up last week when I wind down office hours.  Which is basically me eating my weight in fries, farting, and listening to kids ask me about which $200k investment banking job they should take.  And I'm like, 'Uh, I'll get the check,  but my first job offer also started with a '2' but had slightly fewer zeroes behind it.  Go get me a Keers."  

He says it's become the place for the students to drink in the evenings. He had to find employees to keep it open until midnight. 

It's always busy during the lunch hour

• Hook 'Em 1

Reddit posting about a 5 p.m. carjacking yesterday at Costco at 183/Braker. Don't know the validity, but fuck man. Costco when it's likely busy as hell and during rush hour? 

December 3 murder: Homeless stabbing homeless under 183/Braker over a drug deal.
December 10 murder: Homeless stabbing homeless on Congress over a drug deal.

19 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Of course, we have more Covid deaths...we have more positive tests! 

I wish I recorded my chef's kiss moment when I resigned/put out to pasture from the Bond Oversight Commission.  Last hearing I did was about mobility expenditures regarding some more sidewalks and better intersections and all that.  so afterwards, I go by the Vision Zero woman's office to say goodbye and thank her for her work and well wishes on reducing pedestrian deaths.  And she says she's gotta hurry up and get to a meeting with the Dark Skies initiative (that drawdown of urban light pollution so we can see the stars at night, which for the record I think is super cool).  And I'm wondering to myself (I think i told this story earlier this year on here), "Da fuh?  We need brighter, safer crosswalks and sidewalks to reduce deaths but at the same time we're shutting off street lights for some Adler pet project, don't make no sense."  And the way she hustled out off there, I thought she was driving to some satellite City of Austin office far away.  But she literally walked down the hall and I overheard her say, "Nice to finally meet you."  The safely lit sidewalk people and the dark skies program people had never met, putting aside the paradoxical irony of their missions. 

That's exactly how I imagine Austin's local government works.  Having never been on the inside, I appreciate the confirmation - even though it's rage-inducing.  I've worked on commissions in other cities, and I think they're all essentially the same.  Just a complete shit show.

I was right around the corner on the same floor. Didn’t hear the shot but saw people running. The jewelry store I was in dropped their security gate very quickly. Moved us in back of store. Once the cops were outside the emergency exits they let us go out the back. Then the circus in the parking lot. People running and everyone pressing their fob to find their car. Incredibly fast response by all agencies.

I’m back in the mall now. Taking advantage of no lines. Cop to customer ratio is 1:1 right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Modessit said:

Some people there posting in this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/s/rnC55dWXxr

Another thread with other info. Says it's not a mass shooter, but a fight in the food court and someone got shot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/s/evhJ0sa4vL

So Barton Creek mall has finally replaced Highland Mall?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 2

Some reddit posts that people were dropping their bags and running. And of course other people were grabbing those bags and running a different direction. I'm sure we'll hear about some stores losing merch.

My friend sent me some crappy video she took while running out. Well, it probably isn't crappy on her phone, but the iPhone to Android conversion made it crappy.

2 hours ago, 4th_and_18 said:

I was right around the corner on the same floor. Didn’t hear the shot but saw people running. The jewelry store I was in dropped their security gate very quickly. Moved us in back of store. Once the cops were outside the emergency exits they let us go out the back. Then the circus in the parking lot. People running and everyone pressing their fob to find their car. Incredibly fast response by all agencies.

I’m back in the mall now. Taking advantage of no lines. Cop to customer ratio is 1:1 right now.

This may be the most American post I've seen all year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Shootings at Arboretum, Barton Creek Mall within recent months.  Shooting at the Domain 4-5 years ago.

The people I see bitching on Facebook used to have no problem going to Highland Mall back in the day.

Hell, they probably still go to Highland Mall to this very day.

If they can only get into a community college.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Deej said:

If they can only get into a community college.

Good news is that they don't have to worry about mall shootings.  Bad news, they have to worry about school shootings.

On a side note, I had to go in the Highland Mall campus a few years ago, and if it (at least the parts I saw) looked as nice back in the 1990s/early 2000s as it does now, it might have survived as a mall.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

APD cops shoot numbnut dead on Dirty 6th:

https://www.kxan.com/top-stories/apd-investigates-officer-involved-shooting-on-6th-street/

Said numbnut tried to carry a gun into a bar at midnight.

Joshua Moore returned to finish what he started a few years ago?

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Are they finally going to open a Greyhound Station?

I see the one by Highland Mall closed.  But we still have Greyhound Service, but nobody seems to know where the new one is located.  Asking for a friend before his gloryhole rewards points expire.  

I think the model like a Domain of Fort Worth's Clearfork, 'city within a city', will continue to thrive.  But what'd people think was gonna happen to traditional B/low-A indoor shopping malls?  Even before Covid, it was a completely dying model.  I went to one over Thanksgiving near Hulen in Fort Worth and it looked like it'd be looted.  Barton Creek and Lakeline are bleeding cash despite being in one of the hottest markets in the nation.  Shit, even Hill Country Galleria, and their kinda/sorta outdoor platform with a little bit of office and multi-family isn't doing so great. 

But I look at Barton Creek Square.  And if you just look at the financials, the target audience, and the long term projections and then as the CFO of Anthropologie think, "Yeah, this is totally gonna work out long-term of us"...you should be fired like a pistol.  Dillard's is just this year, now in late 2023, finally thinking about not having 6000 square feet in the Westlake area devoted exclusively to on-site furniture sales to baby boomers.  Well, maybe Sears can pivot its brand back to excitement and trendiness.  Oh, wait...

At least there's still an organic, conflict-free Farmer's Market a few times there each month...

Jesus, what happened to this city. Covid just threw this place for a loop. 

How a place gets more "affluent" as judged by home prices and income but then also gets more seedy will always mystify me.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Jesus, what happened to this city. Covid just threw this place for a loop. 

How a place gets more "affluent" as judged by home prices and income but then also gets more seedy will always mystify me.

The wealthy don’t go to these places